t-28

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

TankkiPoju #81 Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22189 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
In my opinion anyone who plays a t28 with any other gun than 57mm is doing it wrong. You need to stay as far as possible from the enemy you'll get killed fast. 57mm has the accuracy to do that, and you get over 2x the fire rate when compared to the other guns. So you actually have more firepower per second with the 57mm.

twibs #82 Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11204 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET
My favourite T4 med.

Fast and packs a punch. Just be carefull.

Bipsy #83 Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1441 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 14 June 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

In my opinion anyone who plays a t28 with any other gun than 57mm is doing it wrong. You need to stay as far as possible from the enemy you'll get killed fast. 57mm has the accuracy to do that, and you get over 2x the fire rate when compared to the other guns. So you actually have more firepower per second with the 57mm.

But you won't penetrate big boys, or rarely. I'm using the 85mm and although it takes ages to aim, it's accurate enough even at long ranges, has very good damage with HE and AP is deadly when doing surgical shots (for example, the tiny armored part above a KV's track). DPS is pretty much useless if you can't get past the enemy's armor.

SchurkjeBoefje #84 Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9486 battles

View PostBipsy, on 14 June 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

But you won't penetrate big boys, or rarely. I'm using the 85mm and although it takes ages to aim, it's accurate enough even at long ranges, has very good damage with HE and AP is deadly when doing surgical shots (for example, the tiny armored part above a KV's track). DPS is pretty much useless if you can't get past the enemy's armor.

8mm more penetration is hardly gonna set the world on fire now....

57mm best gun imo

Cuff #85 Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9544 battles
Well, i tried to grind with 76 an then 57. Enjoyed the speed, but it was neither a scout or a fighter.

However, after a while I chose to mount the 85mm. Oh lord, I love it. In the word of Muhammed Ali; "Floats like a butterfly, sting like a bee". Suits my playstyle perfectly. If it was socially acceptable I would ask the T-28s father for the T-28s hand, and ask it to join me in the holy matrimony.

It is, as pointed out, as bulletproof as a rock. ...in a wheel chair. With muscular deprivation. So you`ll die fast unless you use the speed and terrain wisely.

Ussually I will play it like a fast TD in the early game, then use the speed to cap, artyhunt, support or whatever when all those pesky heavies and TDs are busy with each other.

SchurkjeBoefje #86 Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9486 battles
Reason I preferred the 57 over the 85 is because the 57 offers an extra advantage, which is accuracy.  

When tiered high, the 57 is a God vs. lower tiers. You get a shot off almost every 2 seconds and with deadly accuracy, you can put those shots in even at range. Anything lower than tier 4 will die hilariously quick, even in close (closer than the T28 likes anyway) combat. It's a bloody machine gun with deadly accuracy. Sure, damage is lacking but who cares if you have a big accuracy AND RoF advantage?

When tiered low, it's more of a dilemma. The 85 will penetrate a bit more reliably, but it's only marginal. The 57 will bounce a lot, but a bounce doesnt hurt much because you can try to do better or find a different target 2 seconds later. The accuracy is an even bigger bonus here because it allows you to stay at great range while still hitting reliably, increasing your chances of direct survival (indirect un-survival meaning your team getting wiped and your T28 roflstomped by some tier 7 heavies).

The 85 vs 57 is mostly a dmg/RoF trade off, with a bit of AP for the 85 but a big big accuracy increase for the 57. 0.3, folks. This thing isnt going to miss. And especially when sniping away at high tier targets, its good to have a fast firing accurate gun.

Bipsy #87 Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1441 battles

View PostSchurkjeBoefje, on 17 June 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

Reason I preferred the 57 over the 85 is because the 57 offers an extra advantage, which is accuracy.  

When tiered high, the 57 is a God vs. lower tiers. You get a shot off almost every 2 seconds and with deadly accuracy, you can put those shots in even at range. Anything lower than tier 4 will die hilariously quick, even in close (closer than the T28 likes anyway) combat. It's a bloody machine gun with deadly accuracy. Sure, damage is lacking but who cares if you have a big accuracy AND RoF advantage?

When tiered low, it's more of a dilemma. The 85 will penetrate a bit more reliably, but it's only marginal. The 57 will bounce a lot, but a bounce doesnt hurt much because you can try to do better or find a different target 2 seconds later. The accuracy is an even bigger bonus here because it allows you to stay at great range while still hitting reliably, increasing your chances of direct survival (indirect un-survival meaning your team getting wiped and your T28 roflstomped by some tier 7 heavies).

The 85 vs 57 is mostly a dmg/RoF trade off, with a bit of AP for the 85 but a big big accuracy increase for the 57. 0.3, folks. This thing isnt going to miss. And especially when sniping away at high tier targets, its good to have a fast firing accurate gun.

I find the 85mm not too shabby at hitting targets at long range (I'm talking about shooting at tanks on the other side of the ravine in the huge desert map with a village at the bottom at the ravine). Its real drawback is the aiming time. Also, I seldom used AP on the 85mm as HE were more than often better at dishing damage. And I like being able to effectively retaliate against higher tiered tanks : now that I have a KV, I have placed the T28 pretty high in my to-kill priority list.

mascotzel #88 Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19530 battles
I haven't played much the 57, but guns with very fast ROF are sabotaged by the aiming time, which can't match up.
unfortunately, the 85 has a crappy aiming time, bugged, also.

I have the tank elite.

Battledragon #89 Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 12362 battles
I'd say go with the 57mm unless you want to keep the T28.  The 57mm zis-4 is perfectly good enough to get you to the KV and the 85mm takes ages to research.

Brazilski #90 Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7189 battles

View PostBattledragon, on 19 June 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

I'd say go with the 57mm unless you want to keep the T28.  The 57mm zis-4 is perfectly good enough to get you to the KV and the 85mm takes ages to research.

Agreed

But it's fun going back to the T28 once you've unlocked the KV3, which automatically unlocks the 85mm anyway.

nemchenk #91 Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8709 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF

View PostKaffekasken, on 15 April 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

Well, it's a couple of kilometers faster than the Hetzer but behaves completely different. Whereas the Hetzer is a dog out of the box, this tank accelerates and turns like a Porsche even with a 50% crew. The reason? This tank in-game weighs almost half of what it actually did.
This is actually true -- I believe the real-world T-28 weighed in at about 30 tons, while the game version is 19, or about 1/3 lighter than it should be. Does anyone know the reason for this? I was expecting the T-28 to handle like a 1930s, under-powered heavy, but instead it drives like a gigantic medium. Very odd, and not at all intuitive.

Could it be linked to the fact that the WoT T-28 has only 30mm of frontal plate and 20mm elsewhere, while the real-world version  started out with 50mm/30mm, and was upgraded to 80mm/40mm following the Winter War? If so, I seriously think having the real-world version as a sort of "early-tier heavy" would make much more sense, rather than go from a "glass cannon giant-medium" to the KV!

View PostAnarkki, on 30 April 2011 - 01:23 PM, said:

It's just a pity that the t-28 looks so ridiculous. Seriously, what where the Soviets thinking?
Well, do remember that this is a design from the 1930s, and was in fact the first production tank of its size in the world. There was literally nothing comparable in its "tier" ;) So while it does look very weird, that is because it is the first of its kind -- lessons learned on the T-28 and T-35 (what I would give to see the T-35 in WoT!  :Smile_great: ) led directly to the KV.

Drizzy #92 Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14745 battles
When I got the T-28 for first time, it was my 1st tier 4 tank. My first reaction was "wow, this guy is huge". Second was "wow, this guy has no armor". After first few games, I was very disappointed in it and thought that it was useless pile of you know what. I went back and started playing tank destroyers. I learnt their playstyle and while blasting away with Marder II, I slowly grinded with T-28 as well. Then I decided I'll buy the 85mm. It really changed everything. Suddenly it became tank destroyer with good mobility. Accuracy of the 85mm never bothered me, aiming time is a pain though. Armor was still paper, but the amount of HP the tank has kept me alive for few hits against equal tier tanks. Also I remember brawling a KV to 30% alone. The grind for KV went surprisingly fast with the 85mm and I enjoyed playing the T-28 while doing so. Later when I got the KV though, it was a disappointment.

Once I can free some garage space, I'll buy the T-28 back and will try the 57mm as well to compare its performance to the 85mm. I think it's all about the playstyle, 85mm fit pretty well to mine. I don't think I ever got top gun with the T-28, but I got few 5 kill games. Sure, it's bad against t6+, but it's a blast to play in t3-t5.

Scorchijs #93 Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6055 battles
I read some of the posts and I don't understand where all this T-28 hate is coming from. I actually enjoyed playing with this tank. It's fast, agile and often gets treated nicely by the matchmaker. Once you get the 57mm Zis-4 gun, the tank becomes awesome on many tiny wheels. The gun shoots so quickly it almost feels like a semi-automatic and I can take on practically everything the game throws at me, even a KV will suffer some damage.

Sure, the gun doesn't do that much damage, but that's not really a problem, especially after playing with German tanks where a 10 to 20 percent damage per shot is more or less normal.

In short, it's a pretty good tank, once you get the hang of it.

Dani3l86 #94 Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5738 battles
this tank is a huge barn door very akward to drive,85 gun makes up for some flaws but still a pain in the rear

VasiIyChuikov #95 Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26838 battles
  • [LGEND] LGEND
Is this T-28 thing even a tank... or something made for others to shoot like in a bonus level or something? I am slowly making, I repeat, slowly making my painful way to the KV and I just can't wait to sell this waste of precious time and nerves. I'll be more happy selling this than buying a KV, man, maybe I'll even do some special dance or song for that moment. That is what I think of this... big moving iron target with a pipe on its nose which makes a "bang" noise so others could see you and shoot you with a bow and arrow, then they will turn their turret and continue fighting like you never existed. This is just what I experienced and I still do and it doesn't mean everybody will do bad as I am doing with it, I see some people like this tank and I respect them. Good luck everyone.

Koshkin #96 Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5363 battles
Personally, this tank was a surprise. Before I got it, I thought it was just a big piece of shit, and the stock version indeed is like this. But when I got the 57mm ZIS-4 and the upgraded engine it became a very fast tank destroyer with some kind of big and accurate machine gun in its turret. Later I've tried also the 85mm F-30 (by demounting from the KV-3) but I should say that it's not really the best option. Yes, it's powerful but with the accuracy, aiming time and ROF of the 57mm you can score many more hits and do more damage in the same time the 85mm fires once. And the penetration is basically the same, i.e. very good for this tier. If you buy this tank, get the 57mm ASAP and then the engine. And don't rush, cover your teammates and do some good sniping.. Remember that its armour its like butter. And if you're in trouble use its mobility. A couple of times that I even screwed by myself bigger tanks like KVs and KV-3s by simply going around them and machine gunning with the 57...  :Smile_great:

Slopert #97 Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6610 battles
The T-28 is a paper tank with a huge gun for its level. Dont drive in the line of fire, 1 or 2 hits and your smoked.
Use the T-28 as a Wingman with the 76/85mm.
As sniper/defend the arty with the 76/85mm.
with the 57mm as scout/arty demolisher.

If you have a agressive playstyle dont take this one. Other tanks are better suited for agressive playstyle.
Like support/defensive playstyle its a nice tank to play with.

Lyrical_Tokarev #98 Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 65 battles
Hi guys. I just registered here on EU server. However I have some experience with T-28 on RU server.

133 battles.
84 wins (64% win ratio).
278 frags (over 2 frags per battle).
8 frags max

Honestly T-28 is one of the best tank I've ever played.

All you need:

Top tracks
Top engine
100% driver and gunner
57-mm machine gun
Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
Toolbox

Tactics!? There are none. You just drive. And drive. Stop only if enemy can't see you or dealing with somebody else. If you stop in the crossfire - you die. Being in continuous motion and having very accurate+fast-to-target gun is the key. Most of the enemies don't have stabilizers and have very innacurate guns so they have to stop and take long aim. You can shoot and hit even while driving at full speed (I've killed moving Leo from moving T-28 on close-med range so it is no joke). It is handy when the situation is not clear. If you are dealing with single KV (large turreted ones) - just go behind him and unleash your DPM. Works best if first shot goes into the turret ring jamming the thing.

Slopert #99 Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6610 battles

View Postmadcapkatana, on 21 February 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

Ive brought the t-28 and i need a bit of advice on how to use it effectively, im on the 76mm L-10 and im saving up for the 85mm, i need some advice on how to use the T-28 with the 76mm gun and with the 85mm gun. thanks :Smile_great: Also could do with some advice on what modules to use

Use the T-28 als sniper, play wingman from a heavy or defend the arty with it.
I played my T-28 most as sniper/defender (with the 85mm) so my modules are cammo net, binoc and rammer and crew on cammo training.

I dont take repair skills because the T-28 has fragile armor and a shot or two from a T5 heavy or T4/5 TD will end your match quick. I mostly wait in the bushes in front of the arty and try to snipe all tanks who spot/kill the arty.
If theres no arty i play wingmag form a heavy or ride behind the main group to avoid 1st blood ;)

Guderina #100 Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:42 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 10503 battles
  • [U-NIT] U-NIT
My two cents about T28...

First of all, T28 is an excelent moneymaker, so if you dont have premium, it's quite interesting to keep it for earn some money. The easy way to grind T28 is using 57 mm ZiS-8 cannon and play a sniper-style/support but keep in mind to change to 85mm as soon as you can.

I've tested german and russian Tier 4 tanks and, for me, was quite easy and fun to grind to KV using 85mm than Vk3601 using Pz IV 75 42 L/70. Besides, 85mm can be used against Tier 6-7 in sniper/TD mode, german 75mm L/70 not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users