AMX 40 - the WORST tier IV around

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: AMX 40 evaluation: (318 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

I think that AMX 40...

1. ...is terrible. (182 votes [57.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.23%

2. ...is ok as it is. (68 votes [21.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.38%

3. ...is one of the best tier IV vehicles! (68 votes [21.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.38%

Vote Hide poll

Bejtman #1 Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2844 battles
I realy like to play lower tier tanks (III-V) and haven't really bounced off anything yet but this vehicle is simply the WORST thing I was able to put my hands on.
I run it with top modules, 80% crew, Vents+Camo+Optics and still fail miserably, mostly because:
- it's top gun suffers from low ROF and accuracy issues and shot seems to lose penetration quickly with the distance
- HEAT is pricey and even when I'm using HEAT, I cannot hurt Hetzers from the front (they have no problem with it, sloped armour or not)
- with premium rounds for credits, this tank main ability (nice armour) is invalid and everyone loads a round of prem ammo if they see you instantly
- speed of this tank and turret traverse are terrible, you can be easily rushed and attacked from behind pretty much by everyone
- Matchmaker HATES the second turret/gun/both, I'm dropped 4/5 times to the battles where I'm bottom dweller (half tier 6, 40% tier 5, rest tier 4) or simply, a bottom (half tier 5, half tier 4). It's a bit better with first turret and secod gun, but you'll probably fail at tier 6 games even more (if it's possible at all...) and my above average total win rate doesn't really help either
- this tank ONLY above average side is a decent armour for a low tier battles, aside from that anything else is average or (mostly) below average when compared to the other vehicles
- it's effectiveness in tier IV battles with the prem-for-credits ammo is debatable
- with that speed and pretty much low HP pool, you're a sure shot for artillery
Disliked B1 is a vastly superior vehicle when compared with AMX 40.
There's a decent HOWTOPLAY guide about this vehicle posted on the forums by the player called IndygoEEI that decided to put a lot of effort to get to know how to play this thing:
http://forum.worldof...de-to-the-duck/
But even this guy, fully commited to the idea of the Duck running around the field, was able to pull only a 54% win rate with it.
Let's be honest - you can get higher win rate with other vehicles with much less effort and much more joy from playing.
So let's sum it up:
- this tank should NEVER EVER see tier VI games with it's current performance
- current AT-DERP&Matilda flood of tier IV and AT flood of tier V gives you a masochistic experience when you're running it
- it can exceel when a top with only a few tier IV vehicles around, but HONESTLY speaking, we could say it about any other tank/AT vehicle if we can say it about AMX
- it's best to be played for LOL's (QUACK! at the beginning of the battle and die with honour as the proud duck should do)
WG,do your job and balance this thing or remove it forever.

Edited by Bejtman, 05 September 2013 - 09:47 AM.

Fishmachine #2 Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5813 battles
It is terrible. It had it's moments some time ago when you were a top tier and there were not much TD or arty around, you could easily roflstomp low tier red barons if you managed to get there on time - I've once had even 7 kills in a battle with it!
But nowadays it's just a big, slow target for Matildas and Valentines even as a top tier.

Cimei #3 Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20559 battles
  • [C1DFL] C1DFL
It is indeed pretty useless against all TierVI, i would be really happy to see a special MM for this tank.

However, when facing just tier V and IV it its quit a strong fighter.

And if you get the rare luck to be top-tier you will have an easy game, a lot of small calibers cant pen it everywhere(even with prem ammo there will be a lot of bouncers).

But as said before, i think at the moment it is really to weak for TierVI, especially as it can not be used as a scout.

Fishmachine #4 Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5813 battles

View PostCimei, on 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

However, when facing just tier V and IV it its quit a strong fighter.

Exactly how strong it's against KV-1 or even M4 with derp?

And if you get the rare luck to be top-tier you will have an easy game, a lot of small calibers cant pen it everywhere(even with prem ammo there will be a lot of bouncers).

It's not a problem for Valentine or Matilda, which in turn will bounce a lot of AMX 40 medicore penetration rounds. And there are a lots of them (especially Matildas) in tier IV battles.

Cimei #5 Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20559 battles
  • [C1DFL] C1DFL
With premium ammo the amx 40 can pen all TIer V, of course you have to aim for the less armored spots. Same goes for the strong armored tier IVs.

aGentleTanker #6 Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21043 battles
I find it not good, but most tier 4 tanks were not so enjoyable for me somehow.
On the other hand, most tier 4 TDs are quite OK for me...

KronQ #7 Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12016 battles
  • [X-21] X-21
B1 is much, much worse. Gun that won't penetrate anything even in a tier V match, average armor, average speed. If you know where to shoot AMX 40 won't have any problems as the top tier, armor will bounce 90% of shots.
Still, this thing needs some buffs. Either special matchmaking or some sort of accuracy on the gun.
But maybe this thing is just there so we won't have milions of ELCs driving around?

Fishmachine #8 Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5813 battles

View PostaGentleTanker, on 05 September 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

I find it not good, but most tier 4 tanks were not so enjoyable for me somehow.
On the other hand, most tier 4 TDs are quite OK for me...

That's because most of tier IV tanks are either scouts, or terribly undergunned. The TDs are neither.

Zamolxeess #9 Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38422 battles
  • [NLR] NLR
M3lee is the worst tier 4 in my opinion.

Bejtman #10 Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2844 battles

View PostKronQ, on 05 September 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

B1 is much, much worse. Gun that won't penetrate anything even in a tier V match, average armor, average speed. If you know where to shoot AMX 40 won't have any problems as the top tier, armor will bounce 90% of shots.

I doubt you have idea what are you talking about other than getting the weird feeling after your shot "magically" bounced AMX armour (which do happens but not that often as people tend to think).

I've both of these tanks and I have carried my whole team multiple times when I was running B1.

I cannot say the same thing when it comes to AMX 40.

aGentleTanker #11 Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21043 battles

View PostZamolxeess, on 05 September 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

M3lee is the worst tier 4 in my opinion.

I think I hated pz38NA most, but it was likely my first scout.
M3lee is not bad when crew trained and upgraded.
Had one 7 killbattle with it!

I kept:
Matilda
Luchs
Su85B

gibbet #12 Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19903 battles
I actually like the Duck/Barb -Q training my second lot of tankers from 75% to 100% - only 50% W/R but thats ok as tbh that does not bother me. Its too slow with no unique skill, the real prototype was able to run on its wheels :) No that would be cool - untrackable would be a nice feature :)

KronQ #13 Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12016 battles
  • [X-21] X-21

View PostBejtman, on 05 September 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

I doubt you have idea what are you talking about other than getting the weird feeling after your shot "magically" bounced AMX armour (which do happens but not that often as people tend to think).
I've both of these tanks and I have carried my whole team multiple times when I was running B1.
I cannot say the same thing when it comes to AMX 40.
Yeah, totally, I told my friend to play both of those for me. [/sarcasm]
Funny enough, B1's armor is neither thicker, nor more sloped and has a massive weakspot on the front of the hull. When someone circles you - you are dead, since there is absolutely no sloping on side armor. While being top tier in AMX 40, when you angle properly, you can cover the whole flank by yourself, slowly using that 75 mm potatoshooter to annihilate enemies one after another. Fast lights with desperately try to circle you and will bounce or fail to penetrate any side of this tank, they are only annoyance because they are obscuring the view. I even bounced a shot from KV-1 with the duck's ass. Now I doubt you know what you are talking about, since that's the redeeming quality of the AMX 40 - that trollish armor. B1 sacrifices it for being more mobile, but for B1 speed means just "I will become a free frag faster!" when it ends up between tier V tanks.

Edited by KronQ, 05 September 2013 - 04:10 PM.

Bejtman #14 Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2844 battles
No dude. Simply NO.

B1 has higher:
a)hull traverse speed
b)turret traverse speed
c)overall better mobility

So you are much more able to efficiently defend yourself from being encircled by a faster opponent and you can fend off such an attack with high RoF S37 gun (I know what I'm talking about, I've done that EVEN to the T49 opponents).

Due to high acceleration (last B1 engine is vastly superior to AMX 40's engine) you're even able to succesfully peekabo with B1 (did that also mutliple times)

Even sidescraping works better with B1 because it gives a decent boost to already good armour and angled howitzer weakspot isn't easy to pen.

With AMX 40 second turret, it's traverse speed combined with hull speed isn't able to protect you succesfully from circling attack even if you're turning BOTH hull and turret together (been rushed by Pz III and Stuarts succesfully several times), so it's either first turret with S35 gun or muerte.

Except S35 can't do anything in tier 6 games unless you're carrying a lot of gold ammo.

When it comes to angling, AMX should be almost always positioned in front towards it's opponents (because hull weak spot is angled so angling weak spot = actually making it easier to pen you) so it's worse in peekabooing (also due to the acceleration issues) and it has only 300 hitpoints when compared to B1's 420.

Considering the above, B1 is much more durable machine than AMX is - it's also more efficient in evading and surviving artillery attacks (Large Spall Liner + better turning speed/acceleration => in AMX installing Spall Liner is using a slot that could be used for a lot of different, useful things as - in comparision with B1 - it's gun needs Rammer and GLD much more than B1 do).

In both cases same tier opponents tend to shoot at you with prem ammo if their stock guns have low or average pen, so discussing superiority of AMX 40 side armour vs B1 armour is pretty much invalid.

If opponent is at B1's side, B1 can still try to fend off.

If opponent is at AMX 40 side, you're pretty much dead because he will be around your rear in no time.

No tier 6 MM pretty much nails it for B1, but if somebody believes that AMX is a superior vehicle, I can only wish them a happy trip in the Dream Land...

One more thing - in my B1 I can tear apart Matildas (with prem ammo, at close to mid range) and AMX 40's (all ranges) and my WR in that tank after +/- 100 battles is 64%  :playing:

Now, with AMX 40... I just scrapped mine with a great pleasure.

Gonna get Su-85 or Hetzer instead. SPAT's FTW, huh WG?  :trollface:

KronQ #15 Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12016 battles
  • [X-21] X-21
God, I bet ST-I is a crap tank, you can get circled and penetrated with gold, turret turns too slow, artillery will shoot you!
That's the whole point of your post.
There is so much repeated points and situational bs in that post that I don't even know where to start. Oh, yeah, I won't. Have fun further comparing tanks when fitted with equipment and filled with gold ammo, that's totally the point, but count me out. Maybe if you would play AMX 40 like a heavy, I wouldn't have to waste my time here writing even this much.
I got rid of both AMX 40 and B1 with great pleasure.

Edited by KronQ, 06 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

MarkR17 #16 Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6721 battles
Give the AMX 40 limited MM, like the B1, then this tank is fine.......this is all it really needs

Trollisljotiresns #17 Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11706 battles
A few days ago I finally decided to go for the AMX 13 90. So, yesterday I got my ELC AMX.
In all honesty, I loved the AMX 40.
No one expects much from you but if you have a brain and are a half-decent player, you can make the grind very fun.
And, I believe, the accuracy changes helped it a lot, too.

Edited by Trollisljotiresns, 11 September 2013 - 07:36 AM.

conscripta #18 Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2619 battles

View PostTrollisljotiresns, on 11 September 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

In all honesty, I loved the AMX 40.
You've got to be kidding.

Petrucus #19 Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8405 battles

View PostMarkR17, on 10 September 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Give the AMX 40 limited MM, like the B1, then this tank is fine.......this is all it really needs

QFT

Pancelos_Huszar #20 Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9569 battles
  • [DELH] DELH
You know that little MM "rule" which says that you can only be at the bottom of the list with the same tank for just 4-5 (consecutive) battles and after that MM puts you on top of the list? Well it doesn't work for AMX40. I've played six battles in a row to test this and I was bottom tank all the time (fully upgraded, 75% crew, spall liner, EGLD, Rammer).
Come on, WG! Give this little aerodynamic bath tub some love!

Edited by Pancelos_Huszar, 14 September 2013 - 10:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users