M24 Chaffee Advice wanted from ACE Tankers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

BodanMike #1 Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Hi All,

So i am about to unlock the Tier V USA Light tank, the M24 Chaffee.
From what i believe its one of the best scout tanks out there.

I realy want to use this Tank as a scout (opposed to people who do all kind of stuff with lights except play a scout role)

My question to all the Veteran ACE tankers here:

- What equipment should i use one it and why:  You basicly have cammo net, binocular, coated optics, improved ventilation. But which 3 should i choose? (or maybe something totaly diffrent.)

- What perks should i train (first) on my crew and why?

- Any advice on how to scout effective in general, or with this tank specificly.

Having played Tank Destroyers, Heavy Tanks and SPG's. I know the value of a good scout. So i hope you can all help me become one.

Tanks in Advance,
Regards,
Mike

hamstor #2 Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15097 battles
I'm certainly no Ace Tanker with the Chaffee yet (well, I got the Ace Tanker medal, but that's about it) as I have roughly 100 games played so far. But I played a bunch of scouts in general so I'm doing (at least for now) ok in the Chaffee (there is still much I have to learn).

My setup in the Chaffee is maybe a bit unorthodox:
Optics, Rammer, VStab

I play it rather as an active scout, so I want to harass and deal some damage.

Skills: Camo on all, 6th sense for Commander, BiA on all, Snap Shot for my gunner and Smooth Ride for my driver.

---

As starter, you should learn Camouflague with your whole Crew and reskill your Commander to 6th sense lateron.
"Standard-Setup" might be CamoNet, Binoculars, Vents. Should do the trick and comes cheaply.

BodanMike #3 Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Hey Hamstor,

Thanks for the info!

I myself am also a bit of a (overactive) scout. Which tends to get me killed a lot.  But also makes for some extremly fun situations. (Nothing is more fun driving straight through their lines having 10+ people shooting at you, while you take out one or 2 of them)

But well, these tactics work maybe 10% of the time, and 90% of the time your dead in the first minute or so. :P

What would be better scout wise? Vents or Optics?  Overal i have a small decrease, but looking pure at scouting, would camo + optics + binoculars be better?

Regards
Mike

hamstor #4 Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15097 battles

View PostBodanMike, on 06 September 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

What would be better scout wise? Vents or Optics?  Overal i have a small decrease, but looking pure at scouting, would camo + optics + binoculars be better?

Regards
Mike

Optics and Binoculars don't stack, but sometimes it is useful to use both of them:
If you park your scout behind some bush for 5 seconds, your binos will activate, adding 15% more viewrange, if you are on the move, the optics will work. So you have maximum benefit for any situation.

The CamoNet is a tricky one: If your Crew hits 100% skill on Camouflague, it is not necessary needed anymore, so you can exchange it for another 3rd equipment.

I would recommend you start with CamoNet, Binos and Vents and start playing as a passive scout with the Chaffee, hiding in consealed places like bishes/trees and spot enemies with your superior viewrange/camovalue. You should only "rush" the enemy when the battlefield has cleared a bit and you can abuse some weakspots in the enemy line (for breaking through/sneaking by to kill artillery or flank enemys from behind).

If you get "more comfortable" with the handling of the Chaffee and your crew hits the 2nd skill, you can dump the CamoNet and switch it for Optics, you can also consider dumping the Binos (as they only work if you are standing in 1 position for 5 seconds) and add a Rammer or a VStab. Then you can use the Chaffee more as an active scout.

BTW: I really recommend reading through Tazilons Pro-Scout guide regarding passive/active scouting (it is made for the VK2801, but especially the map guide is also helpful for most other scouts) http://www.tazilon.net/

Good luck.

VeryRisky #5 Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I would recommend you use vents and then optics and either vstab or binocs.  I have binocs and optics to give me the macx possible view range stationary or moving.   Get some camo paint, you need all you can in this tank.

BodanMike #6 Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Nice info everyone!

I always thought the cammo paint was pure decoration, didn't know it actualy increased the value!
But it needs a correct map for this?  Does it automaticly switch between types (if you buy more then one) or is this not possible?  (at work cant look into it right now)

I'll def look into that Guide Hamstor, map knowledge/ use of terrain seems to be my number one thing i am missing for scouts.

Mike

hamstor #7 Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15097 battles

View PostBodanMike, on 06 September 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

But it needs a correct map for this?  Does it automaticly switch between types (if you buy more then one) or is this not possible?  (at work cant look into it right now)

Yepp, buy all 3 camo patterns and they will work on any map. And buying them for credits for 30 days is the most sensible approach.

azakow #8 Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84908 battles
1.2k battles. You seem very eager, which is good.

1) Tazilon Guide. Mentioned before.
2) Have an extensive read here: http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics
3) Do not spend alot of free XP on vehicles you know little of.
4) Suicide runs on LT vehicles, i.e. M5, are not considered good LT gameplay. I recommend to adjust your gameplay massively!

Good Luck. :smile:

BodanMike #9 Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Cool i will get into those cammo packs :-) and buy for credits for 30 days is because you expect me to advance by then?  Or gold is too expensive?

Azakow, i tend to read a lot. So i often know somewhat what to expect. I don't claim i'm an expert. and my 1.2k battles is no comparison to your 30k.
I did read the battle mechanics.

But yes i need to need to adjust my gameplay on LT. Hence my post. I got a bit frustrated getting into tier VIII battles with a Tier IV light, dieing as soon (or before) i saw an enemy.
Even though my scores arent realy all that bad :P  i even had some epic runs lol.

I'm not totaly noob i guess, just my tactics aren't always good (and well my patience problably more so)

But thanks for all the help and info.
This will get me going realy good.

BodanMike #10 Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Azakow! I just looked at your profile.
Your a Light Tank Expert! specializing in the M24 Chaffee.
Very nice stats, thanks for sharing some insight.
Hamstor, also many thanks for all the info.
Hope to see you on the battlefield sometime.
Regards,
Mike

Edited by BodanMike, 06 September 2013 - 01:09 PM.

azakow #11 Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84908 battles
Thx.

Do not get me wrong. I do not want to parade my battle count.
I mentioned the battle count, because usually 1.2k matches means only few high tier match experience.
Although the maps are the same, in high tier matches the battlefields change in comparison to low or mid tiers.
The tazilon guide will fit perfectly.

I'm happy for anybody who is eager to take the LT challenge.

Remember, the fire command is the root of all evil.

BodanMike #12 Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
That is correct.

Most matched i am in (and have been for the past month) are Tier IV-VIII.
Been switching between SPG, TD and Light. Only recently started with Heavies. (those match my suicidal tendency better lol)

I like the diffrent play styles but it also makes my advance slower in tiers.
Maybe i'll just convert exp and see if i can boost 1 up some.

Mike

VeryRisky #13 Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It cash is short just take the Summer camo - it covers the majority of the maps.
Tazilon's guide is pretty good for pointing out some good passive scouting spots.

Edited by VeryRisky, 06 September 2013 - 04:44 PM.

robw09 #14 Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29565 battles
  • [B-C-Z] B-C-Z
I am no ace Chaffee driver, but I have learnt the longer you stay alive the more powerful you become.  The Chaffee can be played in many ways and this can be all on the same game or depending on what MM you get.

I personally like passive scouting and have binos, camo net, vents for that setup.

I moved my Commander, gunner and driver to the T71 so they are only at 83% on second skill with rest of crew at third skill at 75%

Commander - Sixth Sense, Camo
Gunner - Camo, Snap Shot
Driver - Camo, Off Road driving
Radio Op - Camo, Situational awareness, Repairs
Loader - Safe Stowage, Camo, Repairs

The beauty of the chaffee is that it can adapt to the situation.  My set-up is very much for high tier passive scouting, but I can be a pain in the back side in mid tier games where I dish out plenty of damage.  In these games I don't rush off so much and find a bush as often your team mates can leave you hanging due to lack of experience or simply the games develops a lot quicker.  Instead, I tend to follow a group and try to harass from the flanks.  I enjoy high tier games generally more even if it means one mistake and it is game over, but in mid tier games with 5 tanks or so left per side you become uber powerful and can quickly turn a battle around.

My advice is to find a general setup that works for you and have fun and remember even if you go with one set-up does not mean you cannot do other things!!  I listed just some of the options you have....oh and enjoy yourself!

Vstabs, vents, optics - Harasser/active scout
Vstabs, rammer, vents - Mini Patton
Optics, vents, camo net - Passive/Active scout
Bino, camo net, vents - Bush scout
Vents, vstab, optics - Allrounder

Baipass #15 Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15427 battles
Optics,rammer,vents. 1st skill - BiA 2nd - Recon,Awareness, Off road, rest is usually camo and w/e you find proper. I use the chaffe as an agressive active scout. Although the speed might not be the best I rush scout as many people (usually get free scout), then retreat wait my team to get into position and repeat. I always do that from some ground,corner so I can fall back immedeatly befroe the enemy reacts and shoots me. I passive scout aswell but just on the maps allowing it - for example the scouting bush on prokhorovka is my favourite, easily did over 5k scout dmg in t10 battle just with optics. I get rammer because the chaffe is deadly if it catches something out of position with it sides or rear. We're talking about some easily abuseable sides ofc like american or brit ones. Russian and germans have spaced ones and are tuff to pen. With 2,7 sec you can obliterate in t7 battles since you can pen everything in front if you know where to shoot (yes that mm is very rare). That's how i play my chaffe and T71 both. have to admit chaffe became somewhat useless since 71 got out but I still enjoy it since it's a very fun tank to play.

PartyTanker #16 Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36464 battles
  • [PARTY] PARTY
Chaffee is rapidly becomeing one of my favorite tanks. It's been in my garage for a long time, but only recently I started getting good results with it. Some of the things I keep in the back of my mind at all time.

My setup: camo, bino, torsion bars (good against being tracked). First skills: mentor (soon to be light bulb), camo
  • Pay more attention to the MM than the game screen.
  • You are a passive scout. Look where the campers/TD's are, find a good bush somewhere in front of them.
  • Preferably somewhere out of the usual approach lines of the enemy if possible. Camo value with my setup is really good, so unless they are going out of their way, you should be safe.
  • Tier 10 battles are the most fun. Lots of tasty spotting xp. Remember to whee. Trash talk about how weak and insignificant you are, is a must.
  • Go out of your way to be spotted. If the enemy does not know you are around, they won't go looking for you.
  • Your main concern is: not get damaged. Manage your hp. Esp in tier 10 fights.
  • After you are spotted, the game goes in a second stage. Your main weapon should be your presence. A less experienced enemy might be tempted to get the easy 500 dmg + xp. Try to lure him out. If he is more experienced, just be another enemy he should be worried about and keep his cover against. You might trying popping in and out of cover. Make them turn their turret/waste their accuracy in going for your aim. If anything, this could make the difference in your allies being shot at or not.
  • If possible, try to sneak up along the flank. Know where you are going before you move out of cover. Stop when you arrive in your new spot. But don't be afraid to improvise on the spot either. If you're spotted, go in hiding immediatly. Your first and main concern: not get shot at. Manage your hp.
  • You're not fast, you have acceleration. You can dodge a JP E100 once, maybe twice,.. but the foch will get you. Don't push it.
  • The best bit is when you can pop up in a flank/rear while the enemy is duking it out with a team mate. 100 hp per shot is something that is easily ignored, but it racks up quite quickly for you! Remember to always look at the MM to make sure you're not making yourself a target for another enemy.

These should be your worries in order:

1. not be spotted

2. not be aimed at

there is not third

In the minds of the enemy, this is what they should worry about:

0. they should not worry about you, bc you are not there

1. "Who is spotting me? And I can't go around to look, bc their TD's are aiming at my position"

2. "aww, look! Easy XP... Hey, where did he go?"

3. "oh sh*t, that tier 10 is shooting at me! Screw that chaffee" (back to 2)

And now for some shameless bragging:
Spoiler                     

Hammerzeit #17 Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33333 battles
  • [ATRAP] ATRAP
my first setup was camo+binocs+ vent
now that my crew has 100% camo,S.S, S.A,Recoon + perma camo im using vent, optics + binocs/cammo. I wish i had a bit more epic crew to threw BIA in aswell :)
I usualy go for binocs in anticipation of getting some nice spotting dmg. If i feel like shooting around~feel like MM will reward me with tier 7 game ( the gun is just awesome and the index finger itching syndrome is always there) / feeling extra sneaky i usualy pick cammo for that extra bonus of maybe not getting spotted. Never tried vstab, my guess would be its an overkill. I can see why would one want a rammer in it tho. With crew @100% and camo consumable i do not get spotted untill the 50m most of the time so the net (at that point) is probably not needed.
If you have too much credits try coke & 105% octane here and there. I find it that 10% increase pretty epic

Edited by Hammerzeit, 08 September 2013 - 04:34 PM.

3Form #18 Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18339 battles
Personally I don't favour binos at all as they make you very inflexible. Optics for me. This allows you to do both active and passive spotting as some maps favour one over the other.

Crew is almost at 100% camo. I found that before the camo changes I could pretty much stay in a bush undetected until enemy was at 50m, with crew at 85% camo and no camonet. After changes, I don't know? Camonet for me is overkill anyway. And the disadvantage of it being useless while you are moving.

In my opinion if you don't get spotted on your way to the bush then you won't get spotted in the bush so why do you need camo net? If you really want to take pot shots then just back up 15 metres and fire.

For me it's Vents, Optics and Stabiliser. With full smooth ride and snap shot I am wondering if VStab is even necessary but hey it works for now.

Crew skills should be fairly obvious really. I don't think I have anything to add except get designated target after 6th sense, underrated perk in my opinion. Your camo is already good on the Chaffee and when you're shooting you don't need camo (you need circling or cover) so don't be in a massive rush for it. Camo is my third skill for everyone except loader and I did alright without it.

BodanMike #19 Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Wow people, tons of great info! Thanks all for the feedback.
Soon this post can be renamed to Chaffee guide :)

I was wondering, and i don't know if anyone knows anything about this.
The max view range is capped at 500m? (or so i read somewere)  but you can still boost it well beyond this.

Does the increased view range (over 500m) gives you a better chance of detecting units?
So for example a TD is hiding at 400m with good camo, does my chance of spotting it increase with an increased view range?

I have learned that my big flaw is having too many crews :P  I don't have skills yet (well camo almost now)
But this is were the big diffrence is probably starts, all those added skills. Is there a max too these?

Anyways thx all, lots of info, lots of diffrent ways.
(oh and i did get my chaffee last night yay)

3Form #20 Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18339 battles
Draw range is sort of 500m - your computer renders tanks within a 1000m by 1000m square centred upon you. So when taken directly North and South it is indeed 500m. When taken NE, SE, SW or NW it in fact becomes (use a bit of Pythagoras here, half of the length of the diagonal of a square is ... - answers on a postcard to my inbox!).

However, view range is completely different. View range is a circle centred on your tank with radius = your view range. View range is hard capped at 440m, i.e. you cannot spot anything past this distance (useful to note the converse here. If you are firing on a tank that is 441m away, there is no way he'll spot you). Camouflage reduces the distance a which you'll be spotted, so having a view range greater than 440m will negate camouflage.

To put things in perspective, take the M48A1 Patton with 420m base view range. I did a test with an without the +10% boost fro optics on this tank.

So with crew skills and vents I had 450m view range! Enough, you say? Well, like this I spotted my friend's STATIONARY Type 59 at around 390m view range.
I replaced my gun rammer with optics and upped it to 495m view range. Now, my friend's STATIONARY Type 59 was spotted at around 430m.

As you can see, this is pretty huge. A Type 59 with Vents and BIA only has a view range of 396m (we can't expect them to have recon and situational awareness unless they have 4 crew skills, I suspect many Type players prioritise repairs and such, skills for brawling. Even with BIA, recon, sit awareness and vents the Type only sits at 416m view range however). So with this set up my M48 can spot and fire upon Type 59s without being spotted himself.

As for the Chaffee, with Recon, Sit Awareness, Vents and Optics, my view range is 472m. If I were to get BIA next it would be up at 482m.

This is all partly why I consider binoculars redundant really. You can check all the numbers out on www.tanknumbers.com - it is actually a really useful website for this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users