M24 Chaffee Advice wanted from ACE Tankers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

VeryRisky #21 Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I added the binocs specifically for those games where you are static bish spotting.  At that point I want to be able to spot as much as is possible and getting a notional view range gives you a better chance to see well covered opponents.

Many other games theyr are pointless but spotting one or two more tanks can turn the battle.

BodanMike #22 Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles

View Post3Form, on 09 September 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Draw range is sort of 500m - your computer renders tanks within a 1000m by 1000m square centred upon you. So when taken directly North and South it is indeed 500m. When taken NE, SE, SW or NW it in fact becomes (use a bit of Pythagoras here, half of the length of the diagonal of a square is ... - answers on a postcard to my inbox!).
707.10678 Meters
But yes, i messed up the draw and view range.
However a better view range (even when spotting is capped at 440m) means not only distance, but also faster spotitng of well hidden vehicles.
In my case, i would go for optics and bino's, untill my crew picks up some skills.
But that was good info ! thx

Edited by BodanMike, 09 September 2013 - 12:31 PM.

maxcromwell #23 Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30832 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO
Hi BodanMike,
Before deciding on Improved Ventilation, if that is the running for your Chaffee, I´d take a look at a post I put up a few months ago. The full post is here: http://forum.worldof...ll#entry4136550
But here´s the skinny: I ran some tests in the training room both with and without the vents. I was testing an M24 Chaffee with 100% crew training and a 75.2% average crew camo skill. I have the T37 turret with a stated view range of 400m and have a purchased camo paint job for the extra 5% bonus. The ¨enemy¨ tank was a T34 with 100% crew training, 57% Commander recon skill, 57% Radio Man situational awareness skill, was running coated optics, and had a purchased camo paint job for the extra 5% bonus. The bush in question is the full bush in the South West corner of E4 in Malinovka. The road in question is also in Malinovka. The results are as follows:
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance that T34 could spot me while I was behind bush with camo net - 50m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance that T34 could spot me while I was behind bush with camo net - 50m.
Both results reflect the automatic proximity detection at 50m. Difference: None.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance that T34 could spot me while I was behind bush WITHOUT camo net - 67m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance that T34 could spot me while I was behind bush WITHOUT camo net - 69m.
Difference: 2 meters.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T34, while it was in bush, with telescope binoculars - 138m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T34, while it was in bush, with telescope binoculars - 137m.
Difference: 1 meter.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T34, while it was in bush, using coated optics - 124m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T34, while it was in bush, using coated optics - 127m.
Difference: 3 meters.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: reload time - 3.09 seconds.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: reload time - 3.16 seconds.
Difference: 0.07 seconds.
The difference of aiming time (the time it takes the aiming circle to reach its smallest diameter) was not great enough to measure. In both cases, it reached that point well before the gun reloaded.
Top speed was unaffected (56-57kph on the dirt road running southwest from C3 to F1) and the time it took to reach top speed was similarly unaffected.
Measuring turret rotation and traverse speed was impossible, but I did feel a very small difference. Not enough to put my finger on, and it may well have been psychological, but it felt a little less springy. Sorry I can´t be more accurate on this point.

I hope this helps. The Chaffee is a fantastic tank. My favorite, in fact. I hope you rock it. Good hunting.

azakow #24 Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84884 battles

View Postmaxcromwell, on 09 September 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Measuring turret rotation and traverse speed was impossible, but I did feel a very small difference. Not enough to put my finger on, and it may well have been psychological, but it felt a little less springy. Sorry I can´t be more accurate on this point.

I hope this helps. The Chaffee is a fantastic tank. My favorite, in fact. I hope you rock it. Good hunting.
Turret and hull travers can be measured if you i.e. turn 10 times and take down the time before and after.

When did u meassure this?
I'm asking, because the camo values of bushes and trees have been modified in version 0.8.6.
I asume you measured before.
From my curent experience with 0.8.6+ you can about double the distances for being spotted, i.e. 50m behind bush will become about 100m behind bush.

Redavv #25 Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Private

• Player
  • 19546 battles
very good info on this thread i also like chaffee it has character that other scouts don't have , it is my only tank with 3 skilled crew so far my equip is vents vertical stabilizer and coated optics - i picked that specific setup because i like to be able to make drive by shooting when the battle is fully evolved and many heavies and mediums are hurt , i recall on time that i drived by in full speed and fire a shot on a tiger 2 in 40m distance got his ammo rack and set it on fire the jumbo that was enganging that tank at the moment was saved  Chaffee can suprise you any time, in High tier battles be stealthy and when you see fit finish or track others to help your team and dodge the hell out of their gun sights
But i wanna ask your opinion  is it better to replace coated optics with Binos? since chaffee is more a passive spotter?

Edited by Redavv, 10 September 2013 - 07:39 AM.

BodanMike #26 Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Wow good info keeps comming! Thanks all!

I managed to get my Chaffee to elite last night. My setup right now is Camo, Bino, Optics.  Basicly because i wanna scout / hide as much as possible while i tune my skills and figure out the play style.
Beeing put in tier VIII - X matches now (scary lol)  changes everything. Its a totaly diffrent game then before. So right now i'm just setup to be as stealthy and scouty as possible.

Later on when crew gets more skills i will probably change this.

I do have a ton of fun! I die a lot, since i need to rethink my approuch and strategies, but i also have good games.
Last night on the chat the enemy team said "how the hell is that chaffee still alive!" which for me, is so much more fun then exp or creds lol (although i was wondering the same question at this point haha)

The tank is great, fast and good gun, I don't do tons of dmg but at least i do dmg. Traverse is insane. The top speed is lacking at times, but i guess it just takes getting used too.
Only bad thing is that i never get into normal tier battles. I guess you would wreack havoc there.

ProxyCentauri #27 Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 44732 battles

View Posthamstor, on 06 September 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Optics and Binoculars don't stack, but sometimes it is useful to use both of them:
If you park your scout behind some bush for 5 seconds, your binos will activate, adding 15% more viewrange, if you are on the move, the optics will work. So you have maximum benefit for any situation.

The CamoNet is a tricky one: If your Crew hits 100% skill on Camouflague, it is not necessary needed anymore, so you can exchange it for another 3rd equipment.

I would recommend you start with CamoNet, Binos and Vents and start playing as a passive scout with the Chaffee, hiding in consealed places like bishes/trees and spot enemies with your superior viewrange/camovalue. You should only "rush" the enemy when the battlefield has cleared a bit and you can abuse some weakspots in the enemy line (for breaking through/sneaking by to kill artillery or flank enemys from behind).

If you get "more comfortable" with the handling of the Chaffee and your crew hits the 2nd skill, you can dump the CamoNet and switch it for Optics, you can also consider dumping the Binos (as they only work if you are standing in 1 position for 5 seconds) and add a Rammer or a VStab. Then you can use the Chaffee more as an active scout.

BTW: I really recommend reading through Tazilons Pro-Scout guide regarding passive/active scouting (it is made for the VK2801, but especially the map guide is also helpful for most other scouts) http://www.tazilon.net/

Good luck.

To me this seems as a very good advice.
To that I can add that with the nerf of the VK, apart from the auto-loaders,
the Chaffee is probably the most lethal of all scout tanks out there, with the super-fast accurate gun with reasonable pen.
To score heavily with it, u need to start to do some damage in the later part of a match when a lot of half-dead opponents are out there.
Driven by an expert, it is really fascinating to watch, and probably one of the tanks a truly skillful player can show off a bit in.
When you master it you will have a lot of fun in it for sure,
good luck

BodanMike #28 Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Well with what Azakow said, latest patch increased detection?

For now, i just play on the safe side. Max cammo, max view range. Until i get comfy in my chaffee.
Mostly its the diffrence in game development at high tiers that takes a lot of getting used to,

When i hit my second skill on the crew and get a better feel how to play i will switch it around.

But for now i'll go for max survival :P

anonym_kUQyj0XwjEe2 #29 Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I agree with Hamstor. Optics rammer and Vstab especially when you get the gun and turret upgrade. I loved the Chaffee and played it as an aggressive scout. Its fast and agile with good hitting power. sadly and I do not know why you are thrown straight in with T8, T9 and T10 heavies. One hit and game over. also scouting really isn't my thing but if its your bag stick with it and enjoy the Chaffee.

BodanMike #30 Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Well no offense, but if you don't like scouting. Why take a ligth tank?

I play TD, SPG and Heavie. Having a spotter realy makes all the diffrence.

IndianaJonnie #31 Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8136 battles
Last I heard, maximum view (render) range was 445m. This should be straightforward to achieve with optics, vents and a good crew. Unless some enlightened soul can say why there would ever be a reason to 'overmatch' the max. view render range, binocs seem like a waste.

Currently experimenting with high octane fuel (over fire extinguisher); performance good but expensive. Then again, the Chaffee is never gonna be your credit farmer.

Can't stress the value of Sixth Sense enough. Even with the 3 sec. delay, it's enough to turn incoming hits into near misses.

Chaffee excels when there's broad vistas to roam/spot. Makes it an excellent late-game scout too when the map is a bit more... empty.  :trollface:

(Following the thread btw, we got some real Chaffee sages present here.)

Indiana

3Form #32 Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18251 battles
Going over the view range helps to decrease the effect of the enemy's camouflage. Like I said, with 450m view range I spotted a stationary Type 59 at 390m. With 495m view range I spotted him at 430m, which for me at least is a big jump.

That being said I still wouldn't take both Optics and Binoculars as Vents, Rammer and VStab are all desirable enough as is - and you have to drop one just to take Optics by itself. For me, vents, vstab and optics.

Personally the 3s wait just ruins binoculars for me. Forces you to play sooo passively. And the M24 really can active scout when the map suits it.

BodanMike #33 Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Well i agree with the overkill (since they dont stack) but i need to get into my game. I don't have any skills to increase view range yet.

My trigger finger is itching, i prefer playing an active / harrasment scout. But i need to see how high tier games evolve first.

BodanMike #34 Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Can someone please confirm these 2 things:  I have read them, but not sure if this is (still) the case.

Optics and Bino don't stack  (still) true?
Camo rating of a light tank is the same standing still as moving?

IndianaJonnie #35 Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8136 battles

View Post3Form, on 12 September 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Going over the view range helps to decrease the effect of the enemy's camouflage...
That's cleared things up for me, cheers.

View PostBodanMike, on 12 September 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Can someone please confirm these 2 things: I have read them, but not sure if this is (still) the case.
Optics and Bino don't stack (still) true?
Camo rating of a light tank is the same standing still as moving?
Optics and Binos don't stack: http://forum.worldof...noculars-stack/ - the Mods have spoken.
Instrinsic (i.e. not taking equipment into account) Camo rating for Lights is the same whilst stationary/moving. For a good camo-comparison tool, check out http://www.wotinfo.net/en/camouflage (site also has excellent hit zone pictures too).
Indiana

Edited by IndianaJonnie, 12 September 2013 - 02:25 PM.

BodanMike #36 Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Thats pretty cool.

There no place you can actualy type in both you and oppenants stuff and get a estimated detectoin range?

BodanMike #37 Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Well peeps, i have my Chaffee for a couple of days now. But i must admit it's a bit frustrating.
The only matches i get in are tier VIII - X, now i expected this somewhat. However every now and then fighting your own tier would be nice.

The main problem i have is the amazing firing skills of the enemy. I pretty much everytime find myself beeing one shotted from 300m away going at full speed.
For some reason i cannot get away with this tank no matter what speed or manouvers i take. As soon as i am in line of fire im pretty much dead.

I have cammo skill, cammo paint, and cammo net. But i still get deteced pretty fast.

VeryRisky #38 Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Firstly The Chaffee sees Battle Tier 7 minimum.  If a Tier 5 battle it would be totally overpowered.  Even on Himmelsdorf!

Second, you have to not get seen to stay alive.  At first if in doubt don't make that move.  As you find out what works things will make more sense.  But most of all remember that you become more powerful as the number of tanks left drops so try and stay alive.

BodanMike #39 Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4740 battles
Ya i guess your right

Its time to face my biggest enemy once more: impatience ;)

azakow #40 Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84884 battles

View PostBodanMike, on 16 September 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Well peeps, i have my Chaffee for a couple of days now. But i must admit it's a bit frustrating.
The only matches i get in are tier VIII - X, now i expected this somewhat. However every now and then fighting your own tier would be nice.

The main problem i have is the amazing firing skills of the enemy. I pretty much everytime find myself beeing one shotted from 300m away going at full speed.
For some reason i cannot get away with this tank no matter what speed or manouvers i take. As soon as i am in line of fire im pretty much dead.

I have cammo skill, cammo paint, and cammo net. But i still get deteced pretty fast.
Remember the fire command is you worst opponent.
Turn towards your escape route before you are spotted, the difference in armor is neglegtable.

When running away, try to run perdendicular to enemy fire.
Run as water would flow to maximize cover provided by landscape. I know this is hard and not always possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users