confessions of a former EVE online player

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Captain_Karpov #1 Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30323 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-
So I used to play this game as a pirate/mercenary.

I thought would confess and share some thoughts.

Eve online is not free to play.

It was very biased to people with two accounts who paid twice as much and had much greater PCs than the average Joe.

It involved a lot of very boring stuff, pure PVE in order to pay for the fun stuff PVP, the ratio of fun to grind was very low.

It took ages to become competitive at any level in PVP.

The really fun stuff was heavily nerfed, im not talking nerfing vehicles or ships but nerfing whole game styles, routinely. Not just a one off arty nerf.

The PVE or grinding was mostly solo and very very very boring - unlike bad grinds in wot which can be very very annoying but not really boring.

I want to say thank you World of Tanks, you rescued me from a very mediocre game, whatever your faults. WOT is PVP in your face, EVE was bean counting for accountants.

Zaathoth #2 Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15235 battles
So I used to play this game as a medium tank/heavy

I thought would confess and share some thoughts.

WOT is not free to play.

It was very biased to people with premium accounts who shoot gold twice as much and had much greater TCs than the average Joe.

It involved a lot of very boring stuff, grinding from stock in order to play the fun stuff (CW, TC), the ratio of fun to grind was very low.

It took ages to become competitive at any level in PVP because of the way the crew skills system is designed.

The really fun stuff was heavily nerfed, im not talking about rebalancing but just plain nerfing, routinely. Just look at what they're doing to the german line, SPGs and KV-1S.

The grinding was mostly solo in random and very very very boring thanks to never being able to pen, dealing low damage or just getting 2-shot in most of your games during the grind, that is, if you could even get in time to the fight when your engine was still stock - unlike bad grinds in EVE which can be very very annoying but not really boring, as you can always get to chat while mining or auto-piloting thanks to the un-policed channels and extremely helpful and fun community.

I want to say thank you War Thunder, you rescued me from a very mediocre game, whatever your faults. EVE Online is pure competition on all levels, WOT is just shoot gold and hope for good matchmakings.

olukej #3 Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 100 battles

View PostZaathoth, on 08 September 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

WOT is not free to play.
Considering for a year and a half now I haven't paid anything and am still enjoying the game very much, even at high tiers, without the need to use more than a couple prem ammo here and there, I would say you're full of bulsh*t.

Edited by olukej, 08 September 2013 - 02:18 AM.

Zaathoth #4 Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:33 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15235 battles

View Postolukej, on 08 September 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

Considering for a year and a half now I haven't paid anything and am still enjoying the game very much, even at high tiers, without the need to use more than a couple prem ammo here and there, I would say you're full of [censored]
Then so is the OP, as you can buy PLEX (playing time) in eve-online with in-game money and don't have to open your wallet for anything else, as there's nothing similar to premium accounts/gold shells in EVE Online.
They even offer you a free 21 days trial so you have a chance at earning enough in-game money to buy PLEX.
You can't say there is any such system to earn premium/premium tanks in WOT.
And please watch your words and show some respect...
50 battles and 1.2k messages... I bet you wouldn't say such foul things on your main account...
Besides - gold shells are a MUST HAVE wether you're playing in platoon/random, TC or CW: some tanks are ridiculously hard to kill with low-pen guns, if not impossible.
I will never forget that game where I was the only one in my team left able to kill an KV-1 with my gold shells as a PzIII...

Edited by Zaathoth, 08 September 2013 - 02:37 AM.

Captain_Karpov #5 Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30323 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-

View PostZaathoth, on 08 September 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

Then so is the OP, as you can buy PLEX (playing time) in eve-online with in-game money and don't have to open your wallet for anything else, as there's nothing similar to premium accounts/gold shells in EVE Online.
They even offer you a free 21 days trial so you have a chance at earning enough in-game money to buy PLEX.
You can't say there is any such system to earn premium/premium tanks in WOT.
And please watch your words and show some respect...
50 battles and 1.2k messages... I bet you wouldn't say such foul things on your main account...
Besides - gold shells are a MUST HAVE wether you're playing in platoon/random, TC or CW: some tanks are ridiculously hard to kill with low-pen guns, if not impossible.
I will never forget that game where I was the only one in my team left able to kill an KV-1 with my gold shells as a PzIII...
In EVE you have to pay just to log on.
Gold shells are rarely used by me or my clan mates, only in champion TC and only against good opponents, and we enjoy the game a lot, many of my clan mates don't have premium.
It is not really gold anymore, you can buy them with silver.
I have not bought a premium account for about 3 months.
Premium tanks give no advantage in TC or CW, and there are always good tanks for free (admittedly you have to grind for them).
When I left EVE about 3 years ago, most of the people I knew who was considered good at it was using two accounts for buffs and scouting advantages in pvp. Not only is eve not free to play, but some players paid twice!
Each to his own though Zaathoth, I just found EVE very tedious and still say thanks WG for an action packed game.

Edited by Captain_Karpov, 08 September 2013 - 10:12 AM.

W0Z #6 Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51602 battles

View PostZaathoth, on 08 September 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

WOT is not free to play.

It is free but paying just makes things easier.

I played for free for a long time, using gold I've won or received from promo's . Only recently have I bought any gold and that went on camo and crew retraining.

A premium account helps you keep high tier tanks in profit but you can have fun at any tier. So just find a tier that you enjoy that doesn't lose you credits and you can play forever.

Before I got my free T34 premium I played lots of T5 tanks (credit farmers) to help me grind up to T9 of the USSR and US heavy lines with a free account and no other premium tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users