Opinions about: The new A-44

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
157 replies to this topic

Major_Tankosic #141 Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 47913 battles
  • [_PRC_] _PRC_

I did not play many battles with A-44 so please take this with a pinch of salt.

A-44 feels different than other mediums in its tier. Probably due to the turret position, slow aim time followed by huge punch, it does feel like a heavy. However, its top speed balances things out. I can't say that it is soft, especially since I grind the Japanese medium tanks at the same time. In comparison to those shell magnets made of rice paper, this thing can ding enemy shells. 

What makes A-44 really useful is the top gun. Once you get past the long aim time, ZIS-6 really kicks. Most enemies you meet are as good as a charred hull. As long as they are not too far from you. 

Kawaiidesune #142 Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18999 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA

View PostPunpernikiel, on 17 January 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Really you kidding me? He gets as top dog and by that judges it. I HARDLY EVER play anything different than being vs tier IX. I have no premium ammo so my role is being bulky, easy detectable scout. Althoug I'm not performing bad in this tank it's a pain to play it the way MM puts me. Yes, as a top dog it is strong but what tank isn't? No gun depression, aimng take ages and starts a second after you stop. Thats give you around 4 sec to aim and still you miss half of shoots and those which hit target usually don't pen it. THIS TANK IS SO FREGILE. EVERY game i have damaged tracks couple of times, engine and AMMO RACK almost every game. Tracks are joke. I hit accidentally allied standing still - tiger II with small speed and got self tracked. He could stop laughing. Flank TD, go side by side and after a second or two you will get tracked just by side ram.

Role of this tank is only one: to force you to spend $ on free xp or premium ammo. If you, just like me is hated by MM (http://www.rockpaper...8-WoT-is-rigged) and is not willing to spend any money on this game due to argonat wargaming politics. Don't go for it. You will pay it's cost in so many nerves. I just hope next tank is worth it as stats seem to show.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

allufewig #143 Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 41277 battles

Why are so many people advising to go for a TD/Sniper-like playstile? What the bloody [edited]hell? It maybe characteristically for the usual player these days to sit in the back with a medium that has 3.4s aiming and 0,45 acc because of fear of TDs. But this tank, in every single aspect of its stats - guns and platform alike - literally screams TAKE ME CLOSER!!!

And I took it closer. And it worked. This is one of the best if not the best medium for reckless brawling in the game as long as youre in a T7/T8 battle and/or platooning.

Edit: To be honest I didnt really like it aswell. But like some other people said, the stats were far better than I expected. The tank itself doesn't suck, its just not easy to get along with.

Edited by allufewig, 23 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

IH8MEDS #144 Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles

Why are so many people advising to go for a TD/Sniper-like playstile? What the bloody [edited]hell?

Because dishing 300 dmg punches to the sides of Tier 8/9 heavies, without them seeing you, is fun as hell.

You can use the mobility later, for mopping up dying targets.

allufewig #145 Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

Major

• Player
  • 41277 battles

View PostIH8MEDS, on 24 January 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Why are so many people advising to go for a TD/Sniper-like playstile? What the bloody [edited]hell?

Because dishing 300 dmg punches to the sides of Tier 8/9 heavies, without them seeing you, is fun as hell.

You can use the mobility later, for mopping up dying targets.

Of course thats fun. Thats also what the IS-drivers are saying when you call them campers. 

Umbarion #146 Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16830 battles

basically you cant do anything else in tier 8/ tier 9 matches with an A-44! even the frontal armor is too weak to bounce tier 8/9 shots (haha maybe not t69 shots :D ), so every single shot will penetrate your armor.

and as lots of players have already written, most of the hits you take through your front will damage your engine 'cause of its low module HP or its location.

so using an a-44 without 2 repairkits is either brave or stupid!

and since the gun aint accurate at all, you can only hope to hit some long distant shots with AP in tier 8/9 matches or buy some skills with prem ammo...

so camping is the best alternative you have in my opinion, without doing suicidal frontal attacks against hightier tanks

Trystram #147 Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22296 battles
Really enjoyed the A-44 much more then I expected. Played it very aggressively, almost like a T-54, expect for going around corners differently and knowing I had no turret armor. I was sidescraping and making sure to keep my front angled. But as soon as you got into the wrong situation you are toast, its not a forgiving tank, often tracked and engine damaged. But its very quick, making you be able to support a failing flank or circle a big heavy to death. Its not a carry tank however, so know your role, first spotting and then flanking.

The gun is the tanks biggest strength if used correctly. It is better suited for close encounters then sniping, you have to play to its strength so the bad accuracy and aim time dont let you down. If you are shooting at the enemies side with great alpha and good ROF the bad accuracy and aim wont matter because you're close.

The biggest weakness is the 3 degrees of depression, it can get you into alot of trouble along with the big cupola if you drive in the wrong places. There are places on maps you have to avoid like the plague. 
A-44.png
Now onwards to the Obj 416!

Edited by Trystram, 25 January 2014 - 01:01 PM.

IH8MEDS #148 Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles

View PostUmbarion, on 25 January 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

basically you cant do anything else in tier 8/ tier 9 matches with an A-44! even the frontal armor is too weak to bounce tier 8/9 shots (haha maybe not t69 shots :D ), so every single shot will penetrate your armor.

and as lots of players have already written, most of the hits you take through your front will damage your engine 'cause of its low module HP or its location.

so using an a-44 without 2 repairkits is either brave or stupid!

and since the gun aint accurate at all, you can only hope to hit some long distant shots with AP in tier 8/9 matches or buy some skills with prem ammo...

so camping is the best alternative you have in my opinion, without doing suicidal frontal attacks against hightier tanks

- Camo skill

- Binocs

- Incredible speed & agility

HEY PRESTO! Suddenly, you can scout!

View Postallufewig, on 25 January 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

Of course thats fun. Thats also what the IS-drivers are saying when you call them campers. 

Well excuse me for not going front line, where a HEAVY should be.

I have sniped with the A-44 gun. With rather great success, might I add.

Edited by IH8MEDS, 26 January 2014 - 06:37 PM.

Cfaniaque #149 Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

Private

• Player
  • 22582 battles
IMHO the tank is poor. It would be ok if it really had that 150mm armor in the front not just two tiny scraps, or a better aim time. But the combination of very poor gun depression, long aim time, turret at the back and poor accuracy makes it bland. Nevertheless its playable. Offers unique style of play which is kinda enjoyable. And its still miles better than CHi-Ri.

Edited by Cfaniaque, 29 January 2014 - 01:09 AM.

Eila_Juutilainen #150 Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21258 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
I've had both great games and sucky games so far. Most of my enjoyement in this tank comes from driving around at 60km/h and putting shots from the painfull ZiS-6 into people's tanks up close. It's a pretty nifty, although awkward, brawler at the right moments. At this point I'm considering to keep it, but I'm reluctant to start a fresh crew for the Object 416 (still far from unlocking it, so I have time to make up my mind).

allufewig #151 Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 41277 battles

View PostIH8MEDS, on 26 January 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Well excuse me for not going front line, where a HEAVY should be.

I have sniped with the A-44 gun. With rather great success, might I add.

Looking at your first acc, youre a TD-player. You have incorporated that playstyle for too long. A medium shouldnt be as far back as a TD to snipe from cover. Especially not this medium. Its fast, its agile, it has somewhat troll armor, fair viewrange, it can sidescrape but it has no accuracy, bad aimtime and camo.

Given the fact youre a pretty good player, you can still employ it as a sniper, but that is unbelievable waste of potential. If you want to play TD style in medium tanks pick a Panther, a T62a, or something similar. A44 brings everything to be a frontline medium. I'll stay with what I said. You dont go sniping with an IS, you dont go sniping with an A44.

Edit: O416 is probably going to be your favourite tank. It can be played almost exactly as a TD. Slower, less armored although  tiered higher than A44 while having SU-85B camo and also a gun more suitable for sniping. Its a TD drivers medium.

Edited by allufewig, 29 January 2014 - 03:58 PM.

IH8MEDS #152 Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles

Well, I usually stick to the mantra "not being seen is the best armor". Since I'm using Binocs with the A-44, that means I can quickly get to spotting positions and, if the enemies are far enough, I will not hesitate to bash them if I'm not seen.

IMO going close with this tank is too risky due to 1) number of criticals that you can easily get and 2) horrid gun depression.

For instance, number 1 example that I keep thinking of whenever I mention this tank is Malinovka, preferably Encounter. This is not the type of Medium I would take into the lake route, near the cliff, for aggressive spotting, because I would most likely won't be able to put shots in (gun depression, long aim time, bad turret armor, etc).

However, I WILL use it to get to a bush and spot stuff. If I see that they're above 370 meters, I know I can in general fire with impunity. And even if I won't hit them, my teammates will.

Later on I might either support the push on the hill (if we're winning) or go to the plains and start spotting there to make my way towards the enemy flank, but only AFTER they have been thinned out (one way or another).

That is the type of gameplay I prefer for the A-44, especially after my first attempts to go CQC with it ended up with me unable to hurt a T-34-1, because he jammed his turret in my gun and I didn't have enough gun depression to shoot his hull, not even when I was 5 meters from him.

On HImmelsdorf though it could work, I guess, provided you're top tier.

Omnichr0n #153 Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13550 battles

I ended up selling my A-44 after I've played it through. I did like it in several battles because of the speed, ramming potential and nice alpha damage... making it a good brawler and medium distance tank... also, sneaking out with your rear part and turret to take a quick shot before you darted forward behind cover again, was lots of fun.

However, if you take a hit, your engine dies, and/or you lose crew. It's almost ALWAYS engine damage on this tank if you get penetrated, so I grew kinda tired of that part as it gets REALLY sluggish with a damaged engine, to the point where you feel like the battle is more or less over for you.

Roger_Rocketpants #154 Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14613 battles
Damn.  I really wanted this tank as soon as I saw it, but there are some real horror stories here.  I would need to get the A-43 first and have seen mixed reactions about that tank too, when I look at it I am haunted by the memory of the A-20 for some reason.  Then again I hear good things about Object 416.  I'll just have to get stuck in and see for myself. There is no choice, it seems, you get shot and your engine dies, cause and effect. ;)

Edited by The_Merovingian_, 03 February 2014 - 12:35 AM.

siramra #155 Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR

View PostThe_Merovingian_, on 03 February 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

Damn.  I really wanted this tank as soon as I saw it, but there are some real horror stories here.  I would need to get the A-43 first and have seen mixed reactions about that tank too, when I look at it I am haunted by the memory of the A-20 for some reason.  Then again I hear good things about Object 416.  I'll just have to get stuck in and see for myself. There is no choice, it seems, you get shot and your engine dies, cause and effect. ;)

I personally liked the A-43 better then the A-44. But if u get a tier 7 match in the A-44 it`s fun. But I mostly got tier 9 battles...and that means u drive a tank with no armour,no gundepress and engine goes everytime when penned in the front.

167mm pen in tier 9 battles is not fun.

The obj416 with the top gun is more fun. It`s more mobile but has no armour....but u have a 201mm pen gun that is quite accurate....so I use this tank more as a sniper. I mounted stab,rammer and coated optics. But all of these tanks for me is a grind and forget tank.

BLOK_28 #156 Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 55350 battles

View PostNewA 55char, on 11 September 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

After a few rounds with this new tank i can say, that it can be a fun tank to play. As long as you don't receive any hits. One hit is a critcal one.
Pros
- High top speed
- Good maneuvability
- Good alpha damage
- Good at side scrapping
Contra
- Weak Ammo Rack
- Engine is frequently destroyed
- Prone to gun damage
- Massive commanders copula (weak spot)
- Non-existent 150mm sloped frontal armour

a 44 is the worst tank in all game...its like tank going backward...and when you hit the enemy its says you barely scratched him all from 10 m distance..i was targeting all places of enemies tank and of course nothing happened to him...after 1 hit he got me. I want to say that almost all russian tanks,except very few tanks comparing to american are unfairly intentionally or accidentally have defensive power or protection. a 43 who supposed to have a solid gun like t 34 also can kill nothing. but in the same time t 34 can score. so dont waste money on a 44....

Supakadai #157 Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 53239 battles

I found the A-44 quite playable, even though not a keeper for me. Lack of gun depression forces you to spend most of playing time trying to find some even spot to shoot forward.

The gun is itself kinda crap, eventhough it punches really good damage for tier 7. Reloading and aiming takes forever.

The engine damage and fire is also....just pure and utter bullcrap. Someone already mentioned it, but..."it's still miles better than Chi-Ri"

junglist443 #158 Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26870 battles

Anybody experience gun aiming dispersion problems after the 8.11 patch ? It's like playing an is-3 really, didn't used to be so bad.

p.s. and the suspension feels way more bouncy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users