Opinions about: The new A-44

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
157 replies to this topic

DoctorDetonator #61 Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19912 battles
This tank is a steaming pile of [edited] for sure, the shocking lack of armour and 3 week aim time partly see to that, but they can be played around.  It's the near total absence of gun depression that really gets your blood boiling [edited]
Every fault this tank has is highlighted, exacerbated and exaggerated by the non existent gun depression, if the ground isn't perfectly flat and your enemy on the same plane or higher, you are screwed.

Edited by Kacsa1, 17 October 2013 - 12:37 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. Kacsa1

Viperlein #62 Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18754 battles
  • [GSPB] GSPB
Almost bought the A-44 but after reading this I think I quit the line before it´s too late. Maybe someday this tank will actually be fun to drive ... maybe.

Muratti #63 Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 25197 battles
its russian it will join its OP brothers

riv8 #64 Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10348 battles
  • [TURY] TURY
I made a mistake and bought it. It would be quite decent tank, nice armor for a medium, sidescraping capability, punchy gun, even the horrible aim time is managable. It has just 2 flaws that makes this tank underperforming:
1. No gun depression. Nothing. Its like you are driving a chinese tank and considering that most of the maps are bumpy it severly limits tank usability
2. Module & crew damage - even with cyclone filter installed the engine gets destroyed most of the time. I can't even imagine how horrible it is without the filter. Ammorack gets damaged quite often too. Commander and driver are extremely vounerable. So when you get hit 2 times your tank WILL miss some of the four I mentioned.

The two flaws combined makes this tank really tricky to play (for me at least).

Hopeinen #65 Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 48399 battles
I like it, even though its quite tricky to play.
The gun packs a nice bunch and the tank is really mobile, it also occasionally gets some crazy bounces from the UFP & Turret.
The lack of any gun depression is what breaks this tank on most situations, you have to really make use of the map in order to aim your gun in some places which is frustrating.

Edited by Hopeinen, 02 November 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Arafel #66 Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47164 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
It is a difficult tank to play, and not versatile enough to be called excellent (mainly due to lack of gun depression). However, the mobility is excellent and for a med you have plenty of penetration and alpha, so it is still a good and fun tank to drive.

Shaen_Vesuvius07 #67 Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 34677 battles
I expected it to be trash, got it this morning and gave it a go: 2k + exp without prem on the first win.

I noticed how it bounced enemy fire alot coming from range and how well the gun performed.

Only one game to base my opnion on tho, it may change but it's on the right side of my book. It's alot better than the piece of poo A 43 simply because it has a gun to speak of. i wonder what the cammo value is....

IH8MEDS #68 Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles
I used free XP to unlock all modules at first (already had the 107 gun from the T-150), so no stock grind for me.

Looking at the thing, I decided to play it as a mobile TD/Sniper. Considering how weak the hull armor is (although, if you hide the LFP and angle the upper top of the UFP, I found it can bounce JagdPanther 2 shots...) and the long aim time, sniping from a bush from a long distance ain't a bad idea.

I'm running it with Rammer, Binocs & Vents (although I'm tempted to switch to GLD, although any boost to the long reload is welcome).

Managed a 3k dmg last night, in a Tier 7/8 battle, only for the rest of my team to lose against some Tier 5/6 TDs... I'm pretty sure that with the spotting I've done and the damage dealt, that would have been 1st class/Ace Mastery badge.

And, of course, it's bane (like all Tier 7 Meds) are Tier 9 fights. Having 2 of them one after another is enough to kill your mood completely, especially when fights end 4-15...

Also, another reason for staying well the heck back is that if you get in a dogfight, you're screwed. The gun depression is so bad you won't be able to aim down on other mediums, while they can pen you almost everywhere.

STILL, I feel that I'm going to like this way more than the T-43. Mostly because of its way higher mobility and better gun.

majic #69 Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 10758 battles
  • [FHA] FHA
Avoid this tank. I got sucked into it because of juicy potential of 150mm frontal armor + low profile + 107mm gun + high speed. (and not reading the forum before buying it).

Had a 100% crew in it and proper modules...shot 50% gold ammo most of the time due to matchmaking putting me against tier 8-9 all the time.

1) Terrible, terrible engine. Broken every round at least once - afraid to use repairkit on other things like gun or ammorack
2) Fragile ammorack. Broken at least once every two rounds, usually.
3) Does not bounce well (although sometimes side/rear of turret bounce high caliber shot unexpectedly)
4) Slow as crap. It seems potentially agile, but it feels sluggish due to hp/ton ratios. Accelerates like a brick, climbs hills very slowly which got me killed multiple times (cant flank properly like T44 for example)
5) The 107 is horrible on a medium tank. You can't move and shoot _at all_. Even close range shots miss fatality, making dodge fights frustrating.
6) The 107 bounces more than any other gun I have, premium ammo or regular. Front/side of IS tanks bounce more than they penetrate (with premium..sigh). This gun is borked - 150mm pen german gun has no problems with same targets.
7) Has 'gun oppression'.  Seriously, I don't know a tank with less gun depression than this one - it's bad, even for soviet standards. Often found myself staring just above a target on perfectly flat terrain - seems there was a  hill I never noticed in any other tank. Got into trouble with this almost every match...

It's pretty good at ramming due to favorable weight/speed ratio if going downhill. Potentially can dish out a lot of damage with the 107, but I sold it today after 3 consecutive bounces on IS3 rear, followed by a number of bounces on IS side of turret/hull. A number of which with premium ammo. I don't remember the 107 being as bouncy as this on the KV-2, oddly. Coincidence?

Stay _Away_ from this piece of crap. If you enjoy sidescraping and static gameplay like a tankdestroyer with a turret ...you can make this work. I've had a few awesome rounds, but nothing that a T43 wouldn't have done better.

IH8MEDS #70 Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles

If you enjoy sidescraping and static gameplay like a tankdestroyer with a turret ...you can make this work.

Oh, trust me, it can sidescrape and eat shells with its sides like a boss!

I've avoided damage like that from an IS - twice.

And you bouncing off things is just your bad luck, I've had no troubles with ISs so far...

Mr_Sukebe #71 Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32381 battles
  • [ZOLO] ZOLO
Finally got mine yesterday.  Used free XPs to unlock the tracks, already had all other modules but the upgraded Turret unlocked from other vehicles.
Played two games, 4 kills in the first, 2 in the second.
Some initial thoughts:
- Reasonably fast, with a 60kph top speed.  Acceleration is not amazing, but does seem faster than say a T34-85
- Good alpha damage at 300, which worked well
- Lousy accuracy (0.46), particularly on the move.  Get a gun laying device and shoot from standstill seems to be the order of the day.  I did get some distance kills, but where you'd have a definite hit with my PTA, this was a 50-50
- Can't say I'm convinced with the 167 penetration.  Doesn't feel that good and it bounced several on a Tiger1 on the front
- Reasonable frontal armour.  My guess is that most players are unfamiliar with it, so don't know where to shoot it, did bounce a few
- Worked well in sidescraped position, taking on a Tiger directly and bouncing a fair few
- No gun depression worth speaking of. Keep it away from hills and rolling scenery
Early days, but so far, I like it.  It's a bit inaccurate for long distance sniping, but if you don't mind missing a few, the alpha will put the wind up a few players.  The armour/sidesraping capabilities and mobility gives it a number of options on play, e.g.cities using sidescraping, which combined with the alpha makes it a good peekaboo tank against nearly anything of the same tier.  The speed also allows it to get to positions early to hold whilst you wait for re-inforcements.
Thumbs up from me.

Edited by Mr_Sukebe, 11 November 2013 - 02:20 PM.

umutferhat #72 Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13039 battles
Engine Failure , Engine Failure , Engine Failure , Engine on Fire...!

Scaria #73 Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18114 battles
Worst tank i've ever played with....

Worse than the A-20 when i started playing this game

umutferhat #74 Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13039 battles
Long reload and aim time , doesnt have enough penetration of the gun , very bad gun depression , prone to cath on fire , coz of front engine always loose ur speed and agility if hit , no amror aswell...So whats the point of the using this tank if u cant have fun?

IH8MEDS #75 Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles
I'm beginning to think that it's one of the best Tier 7 Mediums. Really. Not kidding.

Flamdring #76 Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19285 battles
  • [SI-S] SI-S
I keep seeing A-44 doing really well compared to many other mediums, so I agree with IH8MEDS. Its top gun is slow to fire, but it hurts a lot and thanks to A-44's speed, it can always escape after firing.

IH8MEDS #77 Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles
And so far, from my experience, it has an unnerving capability of firing on the move... when you get some slightly even terrain, that is

And heck, this may be the ONLY tier 7 medium to bounce Tier 8 Heavies... with its hull!

Seriously, angled, that top part of the upper glacis is surprisingly strong.

Not to mention just how much you can troll similarly tier mediums with sidescraping.

Oh, did I say just how sneaky it is?!

_Kruemelchen_ #78 Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18636 battles
  • [FUGLY] FUGLY
Unlocked the A-44 yesterday ... but after reading the thread here I will complete the first crew skill (6th sense + camo) in the A-43 before I move up.

Hornet331 #79 Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 16285 battles
camo means jack if you cant even aim at the hull of tanks and repair is far more important since your engine will die at least once in game.
No to mention only crap guns, 107mm misses a barn door if it isn't eroed in 100% and rested for a while, which is no option for a medium.
Its a pure camper tank and its  absolutely  disgusting to play this tank... wonder if I really grind the 100k xp in this  tin can.
Even at that its bad since of no gun depression, if you want to shot from the high ground -> have fun not doing so.

Edited by Hornet331, 28 November 2013 - 10:59 PM.

IH8MEDS #80 Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

Major

• Player
  • 87 battles

No to mention only crap guns, 107mm misses a barn door if it isn't eroed in 100% and rested for a while, which is no option for a medium.

Does this thing look like a traditional medium? No. So don't play it like a traditional medium.

Posted Image

With 77.5%, the accuracy isn't at all as bad as you people make it sound. Just take time to aim your shots and 90% of the time the shell will go dead center.

Wonder if I'll manage to keep the current WR. So far I'm doing better in it than in my VK3002D (the only other Tier 7 Medium that I liked so far)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users