How to play artillery!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

DrStrix #1 Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
  • [KKSFG] KKSFG
How do you help your team with arty?

First: Don´t look where they need help at most! Look at another direction where the scout don´t go! Take no notice what team members say where you should fire. They don´t know how hard it is to change target!

Second: Don´t leave the center of your spawn! Stay as far back as possible so no enemy can find you! Never go to the sides of maps. Its dangerous!

Third: Never Move up with team. Stay as far back as possible so you have to aim longer and make it harder to hit enemy. More skill is need then! Never use shorter distance to target for the shell to fly!

Fourth: Stay still when enemy counter fire on you! If you move after every shot, you can be seen from other side of map! And never counter fire back and waste amo!

Fifth: Make sure you waste all amo as soon as possible! No use having any left when you winning!

Sixth (6): Do not forget to tell camping tanks to go scout for you! Otherwise you don´t have any targets!

Seven: Most important!!! If you do opposite to above you may be a good artillery man!

Edit:
BTW: I use a T-57 as arty!!
Edit 2:
172 battles, 294 kills!

Gorkzillah #2 Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4420 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR
I like the sarcasm but some of them are quite right. :P

Sturmtiger_304 #3 Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18393 battles
  • [_OC_] _OC_
The first rule is kind of right, I don't like to move the reticule as much as possible. But yes, need moar sarcasm. :>

DrStrix #4 Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
  • [KKSFG] KKSFG

View PostGorkzillah, on 04 March 2011 - 02:07 AM, said:

I like the sarcasm but some of them are quite right. :P
I know  :Smile-izmena:

Goltzhar #5 Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9800 battles
+1 to you DrStrix :lol:

Made me laugh... its so true.
Hope some of the noobs learns a thing or two.

Homer_J #6 Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17526 battles
  • [AXIOM] AXIOM
Hmm... I'd say an arty noob would be one who has not played it above tier II. ;)

Come back when you have.

Goltzhar #7 Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9800 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 04 March 2011 - 04:44 AM, said:

Hmm... I'd say an arty noob would be one who has not played it above tier II. ;)

Come back when you have.
?..... Of topic or what?

zyxterman #8 Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:31 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17109 battles

View PostDrStrix, on 04 March 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

Take no notice what team members say where you should fire. They don´t know how hard it is to change target!

Sometimes it`s good tactic. Tank don`t see all battlefield, half of them don`t know about ALT key, and most of them have a large ego and think arty support only them. But you don`t have 5-10 separate turrets as they think.

Homer_J #9 Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17526 battles
  • [AXIOM] AXIOM

View PostGoltzhar, on 04 March 2011 - 04:59 AM, said:

?..... Of topic or what?

OP is having a thinly disguised whine at arty players, check his stats.

DrStrix #10 Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
  • [KKSFG] KKSFG

View PostGoltzhar, on 04 March 2011 - 04:59 AM, said:

?..... Of topic or what?

Yep!

quinch1199 #11 Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10676 battles
  • [116] 116
Side note, has anyone finalised a FULL 1-0-1 of how to play Arty? From total n00bie to pretty advanced tactics? Only ones I've found so far on EU forums are incomplete to say the least.

I've love to play arty but I suck...SUCK HUGE...so I don't bother.

DrStrix #12 Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
  • [KKSFG] KKSFG

View Postquinch1199, on 20 March 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Side note, has anyone finalised a FULL 1-0-1 of how to play Arty? From total n00bie to pretty advanced tactics? Only ones I've found so far on EU forums are incomplete to say the least.

I've love to play arty but I suck...SUCK HUGE...so I don't bother.
Nope!
But take my advice and u will be a better artyman!
Always keep track of where ppl need most help and NEVER stand still.

quinch1199 #13 Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10676 battles
  • [116] 116
Well yeah, moving WHILST loading has to be top tip for any arty but here's hoping someone puts something together for those of us seemingly incapable of hitting any tanks with arty pieces! (like me)

Its things like:

What buttons to press to get top-down view (how many times have I seen that asked!)

What do the trajectory lines mean (colours etc)

...good place to start

DrStrix #14 Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
  • [KKSFG] KKSFG

View Postquinch1199, on 20 March 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

Well yeah, moving WHILST loading has to be top tip for any arty but here's hoping someone puts something together for those of us seemingly incapable of hitting any tanks with arty pieces! (like me)

Its things like:

What buttons to press to get top-down view (how many times have I seen that asked!)

What do the trajectory lines mean (colours etc)

...good place to start
I see.
Do not think theres any beginners arty manual that tell how to use it, buttons and other thing.
Come to think of it, theres no manual at all for any branch of tanks!
It´s more like "try and error" method for all.

My advice is:
First of all, always be sure you have your teams tank ahead of you as scouts!!!
Do not use a higher tire arty until you have master aiming in lower tire! Aiming is not accurate!
Do not drive and fire! If you are not skilled!
Use direct fire if enemy is to close (not top view!). Very difficult!!
If you move between shots, stop and aim in right direction before reloading is finished. The heavier arty, the harder it is to turn it!
Always look out for counter artillery against you! Move if spotted!!
End of story  :Smile_great:

I use a T-57 arty! It is a great arty, mobile and fast, good rate of fire.
I have many kills with it!! But some time I cant hit any whit it.......

ovmorat #15 Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [OV] OV
The most important thing is to ignore the whiners who blame arty for failing to support their mad charge into 10 enemy tanks. When that happens, the arty should pick the highest value target and stick at it. The whiner will die whether the arty manage to shoot the T-54 circling him or not.

Also, learn to laugh at the asshat who types at the last second "Duh stupid arty didn't get any kills no wonder we lost, you suck". It's a shame he can't see the list of 8 damaged enemy on your stats screen but unless you get Confederate he'll still think he's right. Console yourself with the fact that you earnt more cash in a losing game than he'll see in 3 wins.

Important lesson for tank drivers: Pinging on the map will not make artillery shells fly through mountains. Not even if you do it 20 times in impotent nerdrage because you lost your shiny tank. You lost your shiny tank because you sat in the open while the enemy was in good cover, not because artillery suck. YOU suck because you fail to understand this.

DrStrix #16 Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
  • [KKSFG] KKSFG

View Postovmorat, on 21 March 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

The most important thing is to ignore the whiners who blame arty for failing to support their mad charge into 10 enemy tanks. When that happens, the arty should pick the highest value target and stick at it. The whiner will die whether the arty manage to shoot the T-54 circling him or not.

Also, learn to laugh at the asshat who types at the last second "Duh stupid arty didn't get any kills no wonder we lost, you suck". It's a shame he can't see the list of 8 damaged enemy on your stats screen but unless you get Confederate he'll still think he's right. Console yourself with the fact that you earnt more cash in a losing game than he'll see in 3 wins.

Important lesson for tank drivers: Pinging on the map will not make artillery shells fly through mountains. Not even if you do it 20 times in impotent nerdrage because you lost your shiny tank. You lost your shiny tank because you sat in the open while the enemy was in good cover, not because artillery suck. YOU suck because you fail to understand this.
I can agree that charging in to enemy lines is foolish.
But when 5 tanks are locked in behind a corner and no arty will help due to misplaced on map, some will ping and ask for help by arty.
I do not know how many times I seen arty backing up in center when map structure is hills on 1 side (Karelia). When only option is to get out to side to have a long line of fire behind the corner on those hills. Thats the difference between win or lose.
I suppose you use a high tire arty? Those are hard to move due to slow speed.
I do complain on arty that don´t move or help out! I lost more then 1 tank when arty is doing its "own" job!
The nice thing is that no one has complained on my arty, ever! I have never stand in spawn and fire, ever!

bigfattanker #17 Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 1621 battles

View PostDrStrix, on 04 March 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

How do you help your team with arty?

Third: Never Move up with team. Stay as far back as possible so you have to aim longer and make it harder to hit enemy. More skill is need then! Never use shorter distance to target for the shell to fly!

Every potential arty man who reads the above please erase it from your mind.
In early tiers you will find that something like a T57 has a limited range,
But it has speed, and you can (and should) move up front as long as you have
tanks with you.  As you develop and up tiers the arty has a longer range.

stay as far back as possible so you have to aim longer as more skill is needed then
????????

You think playing arty is so easy the player should
voluntarily make it more difficult for him self. Hey how about tanks running around with only
3 shells each or all have 50 armour points.

There is nothing easy about playing artillery, especially hitting a moving target, and especially one
that's moving fast. Then you have to deal with maps which have very few lines of direct sight, You will
have to move. Knowing when, and where takes skill. Im not to sure what's it like with higher tier arty.
I have only played with a T57 which has a range of less than half the map.  The T57 can almost be used
like a tank *which I sometimes do, or am forced to because the tanks are hiding in bushes as they weep...

Juhaani #18 Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postbigfattanker, on 24 March 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

????????

voluntarily make it more difficult for him self. Hey how about tanks running around with only

There is nothing easy about playing artillery, especially hitting a moving target, and especially one
that's moving fast. Then you have to deal with maps which have very few lines of direct sight, You will
have to move. Knowing when, and where takes skill. Im not to sure what's it like with higher tier arty.
I have only played with a T57 which has a range of less than half the map.  The T57 can almost be used
like a tank *which I sometimes do, or am forced to because the tanks are hiding in bushes as they weep...

Juhaani #19 Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
I am a new player and have gone the arty route after getting more success with it than my rather sad attempt at tanks.

The advice given here has helped me get a few more kills - I got 3 in my last match - but i tend to get more kills if I hide than if I move up.

I suspect this is probably because of my crap skills.  Thanks for the tips and I will keep practicing.

Can I just say one thing to the tank drivers - If you don't move up we cant see what to hit so stop crying and get a wiggle on up the map!!

Thanks

Snoken #20 Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9223 battles

View Postbigfattanker, on 24 March 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

????????

Sarcasm detector failed on you.