T71 - How to?

T71 scout spot damage light how to play agressive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

kriegzHUN #1 Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20 battles
I saw a few people who has really good avarage damage(1000, 1200) with this little tank.
I could do this avarage too if i play this tank like a medium. But in my opinion its not the right way to play this tank(maybe im wrong), because i think if someone plays a light tank like a medium its useless in a battle.
I prefer the passive/active spotting with this tank, not the damage dealing, but if i play it as a scout i can only do about 500-600dmg avarage. So i need help to increase my avarage dmg and still being useful to my team.
So how should i play with this tank?
Keep playing it like a scout and try to take advantage of the situations when i can do damage?
Or should i play it a bit like a medium?

Edited by kriegzHUN, 24 September 2013 - 01:38 PM.

War_of_Genius #2 Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28996 battles
I have an idea: DO BOTH
First scouting is very important. Be invisible, light up enemies and help your team do damage.
In the meantime u may spot loopholes and weak flanks. U will then have to take the opportunity to go in and take out single tanks with one magazine -> vanish again

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generals Guide to Premium Vehicles
Now featuring income, crew training, Tier II premium vehicles, Tier III premium vehicle.

Search_Warrant #3 Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28596 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
Indeed this tank is seriously awesome! first half try spot (passive spotting) up ahead carefully. when the numbers thin down then the fun begins! go around all sneaky beaky and pop 6 shots into any unsuspecting tank, or if you spot one get in close enough for him to not shoot you but wait for ally team to distract him and then get behind and BOOMBOOMBOOM! i regret selling my T71 but i had to due to no garage space :(

HazCZ #4 Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22362 battles
I play T71 as passive scout first too. In most battles. But boy, when I start shooting I can't stop. I've played quite a few battles in AMX 13 75, but it's so boring in comparison to T71. I just love it's incredibly fast flying APCR shells. It makes sniping moving targets so easy (not that I did that very often in those 9 battles I've played so far:). Only disadvantage compared to AMX 13 75 is that 4 seconds longer reload...and thats really nothing.

I was somehow able to do 2,5k damage in second game I've played in T71. It really ain't that hard. But fact is, that I acted more like a sniper than scout (my passive scouting was interrupted before it started by suiciding enemy T21 that drove right next to my bush and to it's death behind it). Anyway - I already now that this tank won't leave my garage. Ever.

Tall_Toot #5 Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24781 battles
  • [HO_PO] HO_PO
Only thing I'd add to the passive-then-hunter comments above is try to ignore the idiots that expect you to go suiciding for them just so they can maybe get a shot or two off. Passive scouts rely on enemies to come towards them, which can mean you don't see anything from your chosen spot if you aren't in the way of the 8:30 from Lemmingtown.

Relocating from forward positions with hidden 400m+ view range Tier 10 TD's potentially watching your every move is something that seems to escape the average IS-3 driver....Jesus they get on my pecs!!

MalyAndras #6 Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20758 battles
I started the grind of the t71 not so long ago. My question is is it a good idea to train my crew camo? im not sure it will be come handy when going to t69 and finally T57.

SLD #7 Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 45690 battles
T71 has a steep learning curve, but when you master it...

I just did 2335 dmg with it, killing 3 and earning 1244 exp (no premium), the key is surprise.

or in tactics:
- play passive first 2-3 mins
- then go full throttle to the rear of enemy tanks but never exchange shots
- don't hesistate, run if you can't finish them,

i hated this tank at the start but now it's a keeper, and my only high tier scout

Mextli #8 Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 46129 battles
I equipped him as an active scout, so optics instead of binos, and I agree that you should start passive. But when one side is open and/or some enemy tanks are already damaged dont just drive passive through enemy lines like SLD suggested. My way is that I actively go after heavily wounded enemys and finish them off. The gun has an good acc & pen is good enough for weakspots on high tiers so let them burn. ;) Its way more fun to drive it this way, atleast this tank is capable of doing real dmg.

Polkadot9000 #9 Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10765 battles

View PostTall_Toot, on 24 October 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Only thing I'd add to the passive-then-hunter comments above is try to ignore the idiots that expect you to go suiciding for them just so they can maybe get a shot or two off. Passive scouts rely on enemies to come towards them, which can mean you don't see anything from your chosen spot if you aren't in the way of the 8:30 from Lemmingtown.
Relocating from forward positions with hidden 400m+ view range Tier 10 TD's potentially watching your every move is something that seems to escape the average IS-3 driver....Jesus they get on my pecs!!
I have had worse, I mean getting whined at by idiots on your team is bad enough because they want you to go scout stuff for them to shoot, you know just screw your xp, they want stuff to shoot at. But when an IS-4 on your own team starts using you for target practice... I know that it was deliberate because what happened was i was full health and in a bush to passive spot about 100m ahead. He started shooting me with no explanation, he didn't even give so much as an instruction to start doing active scouting he just shot at me, twice. Killing me from full health, the [edited]. And i know that he wasn't suspended as i stayed in the game afterwards and he kept playing and his tank kept moving.
However I will say this was no fault of the T71, it is a great little tank, it was just that i had a complete tit on my team. I will say though this is a great fun, tank and it is my best tank to play with a 56% win rate and 834 average xp per battle, only averaging 800 damage a game, but i spot on average 3 tanks a game, so i get a lot from passive.
As for playstyle, passive scout ftw. Get into an aggressive spot with a camo crew and camo painted tank with a pair of binos and you will spot the entire enemy team in the chosen direction. Then go nuts and start killing stuff when you feel it is safe. Redshire passive spot the bush from the south on that ridge near the river on the opposite side. Spots all the enemies. Live oaks is probably also gonna be fun. go to the end of the path through the lake. Then spot from there, when safe go along that path, make sure not to drown, you look like a right mug if you do. Then get to their arty and kill it, then beat a hasty retreat along the railway lines and shoot anything in the but that you see along there.

Edited by Polkadot9000, 18 November 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Search_Warrant #10 Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28596 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
I wonder if i should sell my T69 and upgrade to T71 (yes i said upgrade because T69 sucks compared to T71) i had more joy in that fun little scout than most of my vehicles.

Sejrherre #11 Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18693 battles
Hi everyone!

Well i have this T-71 and is AWESOME!
I had AMX 13 75 and AMX 13 90 but  T71 is better!

Why is awesome this tank?

1) Recharges faster than a Amx 13 75 & '13 90 ( 13 90- takes 40 secs to reload on the last gun)

2) Really light and faster up to 57- 63 km/H

3) Fast enough that you can drift, scout, spot and jump over the dunes : ))!

4) Penetrates also tier 10 even frontally with Normal, Gold and He ammo

5) Having a fast reload with a good pen= damage is quite a bad-ass on the field.

Me, personally, i play  like a heavy or medium tank- sometimes. But if i go scout it's a bit shitty (and i apologies by being rude but it's true!) because everywhere you hit T-71 it's ammo-rack, 1 or 2 crews are dead, turret is dead, engine, fuel, tracks.. from 1 shot.
Sometimes even Ka- Boom! from 1 shot because the ammo-rack is close to the fuel tank and also to the engine.

So if you can't handle the tank.. try to do xp so you can go to T69 but if you don't like how he is as a tank, try other lights and than you will make conclusions that will help you to decide the good tech three to fallow.

nafnist #12 Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10597 battles
  • [NAF] NAF
Ive played about 80 battles in the T71 so far, and I have also resorted to passive-scout then flank for the most part. I have even been using a Camo-net equipment for passive scouting. Still undecided about that.

I also totally agree about the T71 not being able to take any damage. Just dont risk taking damage from even low tier tanks.

My present setup is;

Coated Optics / Ventilation / Camo-net
Repair / Medickit / Gasoline

6th Sense / Situational Awareness
Camo / Snap Shot
Camo / Offroad Driving

Cocodog13 #13 Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25598 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View PostMalyAndras, on 24 October 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

I started the grind of the t71 not so long ago. My question is is it a good idea to train my crew camo? im not sure it will be come handy when going to t69 and finally T57.

cammo is one of the most overpowered crew skills on any tank due to the broken spotting mechanics. even on the t57 there will be alot of maps where the are no viable close range possitions for your tank and you must play as sniper, while your playing as sniper you want max cammo crew and a cammo net, regardless of what tank. the spotting mechanics are realy that broken... in my 50100 iv unloaded a full magazine into a e75 at 150m range from behind a single bush and not been spotted, and the 50100 supposedly has crap cammo rating. so long as you run sixth sense you can yo full cammo and be much more safe this way than full repairs....

Search_Warrant #14 Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28596 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
I already sold my T69 and went back to T71. worth every penny.

NachTKaP #15 Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28196 battles

there are a couple of aspects to the T71 that I had to learn.

• If u (think u) have been spotted and the only option is to a suicide run (to far far forward hiding spot) never turn normally if u are doing more then ~45km/h. Your traverse speed enables u to make 1/8 right turn, juke left and then go into your actual turn again. Randomize those movements as much as possible. Driving 'directly' towards a target (if u think u might be spotted on the way there) should look like --~'\__.~--~/'''~\__-- as long as your speed doesn't decrease significantly. I managed to drive through 3/4 of the northwest (map) valley with 2/3's of the enemy shotting at me (based on the explosions around me), while driving like that.
  • don't be afk for even one second at the start.
  • pay attention to how fast what tank types can get to certain locations on the map.
  • find bushes u can get to before they see u from where you can scout them while driving there or being there. bushes to the left of the houses in the middle on fisherman's bay are a good example. sandriver(assault) the ridge bushes at F4 and F8 work as well, but u can get spotted if your position is even a bit off.
  • when u get to a bush always turn into the direction u might have to escape in.
  • with high camo (camo net, average crew camo >75% I think) enemies can be ~100m away from you and not see u. u get auto revealed by the game if an enemy get with 49m of u.
  • it can be reasonably save to drive through the middle of the map when 1/3 to 1/2 of the game time has elapsed. himmelsdorf and ensk examples where it works reasonably well.

Something I havnt figured out is at what distance to enemies it is safe to shot from your bush. Anyone know a rule of thumb for this?

BigFellas_Dad #16 Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45338 battles
Something im finding to my cost, if the enemy team has a BC-25-T, it will kill you and in the first few minutes.  If I see one of these on the enemy team im now a lot more cautious and dont race to 'that' bush any more.

robw09 #17 Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29537 battles
  • [B-C-Z] B-C-Z

If you are not keeping the T71, which I think is madness, then it is best to plan your skills for whatever tank you are keeping the crew for.  Whilst I agree camo is useful I would argue repairs may be more important to a heavy/medium.  Having said that, unless you are free xp'ing to the T57, you should have at least 3 skills by the time you get to T10.

In playing the T71 I can offer you a few tips.  I am no pro, but they have served me well.

Play according to MM.  If you get a “bad” roll remember the view ranges of mediums and heavies are going to match yours.  Also 1 to 2 shots is going to see you back in the garage.  You can however push on spots mediums will not tend to be at and get an early spot on the lumbering heavies.  I tend to try and get to a good forward point and sit for a while.  If you get a “good” roll then you can be more aggressive as your view range with optics will be at 440.  Get to a good spot early and if you spot IS3’s etc at say 380 meters you are safe to shoot away without being spotted.

Play according to map.  There are well known maps where light tanks can really exploit, but you can still be deadly in the street maps.  It is trickier as you have to wait to judge who is pre-occupied before jumping on them.

Don’t rely on your autoloader.  Now, this may be a little controversial, but I actually try to forget I have an autoloader as I found it gave me belief I could get myself out of trouble with it.  It will not.  AMX 13 90 does scare.  The T71, meh not really.  Instead when I am shooting I am always ready to skedaddle no matter how many are in the clip unless I know that I am not going to get shot back at.  This is the beauty of the T71 you can lay down a decent rate of fire with a relatively short reload time.

For me it is a keeper.

DtXpwnz #18 Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10434 battles
  • [NIHIL] NIHIL

It is absolute pleasure to play this tank, probably the most fun tank I have in my garage.

My playstyle isn't very MM-depending. I usually try to get first spots off (never loose health doing it), on some maps I do passive scouting (malinovka,...). Than I am usually getting into traditional medium positions where I can shoot to multiple locations. Never overstay your welcome, If you are lit after 2 shots and enemy is turning gun your way, bail out. Always stay close to hardcover, ridge, etc. On some maps you want to get to the most profound locations (hill on mines, church on abbey), but if there are strong enemy mediums going there and you are outgunned, dont go, just spot them, fire one or two shots into them and pull back.

You are very mobile, change flanks, go where you can do something, try to spot over the ridges, peak over corners. If one of your flanks has fallen, get in ambush position, spot, ping map, fire into their backs, fall back before receiving damage. Also, don't be afraid to use HEAT rounds.Try to flank if there is one (or two) enemy remaining in that location, but make sure they are busy before you unload into them. Arty hunting? very rarely, only if I know I can get there, get him and get out.

Damage slowly adds up. I don't even remember last game I had with less than 1k dmg dealt. 2,5k+ dmg + spotting dmg is nothing special.

Some people may not like my playstyle, but I am usually the best player in the match, sacrificing my tank and leaving outcome of the match in the hands of tomatoes is not an option. Suicide scouting can be worth sometimes in the magical forest of Murovanka. If you have buttload of angry TDs sitting on the hill and your other flank is about to fail, quick run along the forest with sharp turn in the end can influance the battle.

TimDogg #19 Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22226 battles

I never was a good scout, but this tank is just brilliant because it can both scout and do damage. And that is exactly how it should be played, you can be useful on any map. (Even on the city maps, hang back and play support gun to one of your heavies or work the flank without being overly aggressive).

This is really a beautiful machine, problem is... it is followed by a T69 which you won't really have a crew for (unless you train them in M4, is my advice!) and which plays very differently.

Search_Warrant #20 Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28596 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
T69 plays differently as in its useless without HEAT spam. has a crappy gun and meets tier 10 with said crappy gun.

Also tagged with T71, scout, spot, damage, light, how, to, play, agressive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users