The T57

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

mothy2401 #41 Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20162 battles
  • [22DAB] 22DAB
I too love my T57, especially when playing Province, whichever side of the map I start on I can usually get 5+ kills and I'm usually the last to get killed when things go bad.

It's also fun using it as a TD on Himmelsdorf if I'm up against tier 2 opponents.

Fast reload times, cheap ammo and fast speed to get into position/out of danger are it's main advantages.

SU-26 and M7 are fun arty too once their guns get upgraded.

AbNihile #42 Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10847 battles
Wow. This thread is surprising: I've found the T57 terrible.
- Sure, straight line speed is very good
- Sure, it has comparably great armour for a SPG.
- Sure, shells fly pretty fast for a SPG.

But:
- This thing apparently doesn't believe in turning. You could park a moon in that turning circle.
- Damage is quite low. Never oneshot anything (though been close several times) and I just did 4 damage to another T57's front. And 37 to a M3 Lee's side!
- Accuracy is pretty bad. Seriously, I have an easier time landing my shots on targets on the Hummel than this. Obviously, Crew contributes to the discrepancy (all 50% except the radio operator - 80%+53% situational awareness - which I had leftover from moving the M36's Crew into the T25 AT), but still.
- Range, range, range! This is worse than the sIG 33 L/11! "Sorry, you can't fire at that KV-1 because you're not hugging it."
- Did I mention range?

On Province, it has potential, but everywhere else it's so frustrating.

Hopefully range gets better on the M37.

Edit: Well, done with the T57. In the end, I got some decent games, nothing like what you guys provided, though. Max kills: 5 (Ensk), win rate: 62% (but small sample size), ~1.1 kills/battle.
For some reason, I started hitting harder after a few games. Quite a few oneshots, too. M3 Stuarts still took little damage, though.
Still don't like this thing.

Edited by AbNihile, 08 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.

mothy2401 #43 Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20162 battles
  • [22DAB] 22DAB
It does sometimes depend on which map you play it on. This was on Mines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mothy2401, 10 October 2012 - 05:35 AM.

CrashZer0 #44 Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1935 battles

View PostAbNihile, on 08 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Wow. This thread is surprising: I've found the T57 terrible.
- Sure, straight line speed is very good
- Sure, it has comparably great armour for a SPG.
- Sure, shells fly pretty fast for a SPG.

But:
- This thing apparently doesn't believe in turning. You could park a moon in that turning circle.
- Damage is quite low. Never oneshot anything (though been close several times) and I just did 4 damage to another T57's front. And 37 to a M3 Lee's side!
- Accuracy is pretty bad. Seriously, I have an easier time landing my shots on targets on the Hummel than this. Obviously, Crew contributes to the discrepancy (all 50% except the radio operator - 80%+53% situational awareness - which I had leftover from moving the M36's Crew into the T25 AT), but still.
- Range, range, range! This is worse than the sIG 33 L/11! "Sorry, you can't fire at that KV-1 because you're not hugging it."
- Did I mention range?

On Province, it has potential, but everywhere else it's so frustrating.

Hopefully range gets better on the M37.

Edit: Well, done with the T57. In the end, I got some decent games, nothing like what you guys provided, though. Max kills: 5 (Ensk), win rate: 62% (but small sample size), ~1.1 kills/battle.
For some reason, I started hitting harder after a few games. Quite a few oneshots, too. M3 Stuarts still took little damage, though.
Still don't like this thing.

What? -.-
Turning? It turns like a carousell.
Damage low? It can oneshot stuff easily.
Accuracy bad? Have you tried SU-18?
Range? Again, SU-18?
And the cream on top: how can you even mention Hummel here? It's a tier V arty!
For it's tier, T57 kicks ass.
And no, M37 is worse than T57 in it's tier. Almost in every aspect.
Good luck with it. You'll need it if you actually hate T57.

AbNihile #45 Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10847 battles

View PostCrashZer0, on 10 October 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

What? -.-
Turning? It turns like a carousell.

17/20  deg/s is hardly good traverse... but yeah, checking the competition, it's pretty average for the tier.
It's no huge issue, but when you try to turn while moving, it's frustrating. Feels like massive car understeer :Smile-tongue: .

Damage low? It can oneshot stuff easily.
Yes, it can, but any kind of armour will reduce said damage easily. I guess the Bison spoiled me, with its much better pen you don't get the low damage numbers the T57 produces on higher-armour targets.

Accuracy bad? Have you tried SU-18?
No, I haven't (don't plan to, the Russian tree has the KV-2->S-51 path). Wiki says they both have the same Accuracy, though.

Range? Again, SU-18?
I guess all T2 (and some T3) SPGs have low Range, but IIRC the Bison wasn't that bad. Then again, it was a while ago.
If the SU-18 has even worse range, what the hell are you supposed to do with it? Play it purely TD mode?

And the cream on top: how can you even mention Hummel here? It's a tier V arty!
I mentionned it because it's the one I played recently, I was just going by impression (as we all know, some SPGs like to land shells way off, some don't).

For it's tier, T57 kicks ass.
Yeah, I suppose it does. Comparing it side-by-side with the other tier 2 SPGs, it does seem to be the best overall. It would seem I've been spoiled by the Grille & Hummel and I didn't remember how Tier 2 was on a SPG. Mea culpa.
Though I'd still like to see numbers on their respective ranges, I really don't recall having to expose myself that much with the Bison.

And no, M37 is worse than T57 in it's tier. Almost in every aspect.
Indeed, range feels even shorter on the stock gun. I'm hoping the second gun will improve on that.

Good luck with it. You'll need it if you actually hate T57.
Heh, it's a short grind anyway and I've gotten through worse: the StpzII. Same gun as the Bison, with less shells (at the time I played it) and a RoF buff. I liked the RoF buff personnally but some claim it's not even a real upgrade and side-by-side with the M37, it doesn't compare favourably.
I don't hate the T57, anyway. I just won't re-acquire it as a fun tank. I guess what I dislike is more tier 2-3 SPGs in general.

Fishmachine #46 Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5814 battles

View PostAbNihile, on 11 October 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

No, I haven't (don't plan to, the Russian tree has the KV-2->S-51 path).

Play the SU-18 to get to SU-26. You can just stop there (or also play SU-5 if you want to try a completely different beast) if you don't want to go up to SU-14.
Why? Because SU-26 is the most fun SPG in the whole game. Just do it.

no_name_cro #47 Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18939 battles
I'm not fan of low tiers but this arty was fun. the fact you can bounce something with arty and with wide arc and fast aim+reload you can play it easy as TD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users