What would a non penetration be like for a crew IRL?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Jrgrid #1 Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12723 battles
Would your ear drums burst from a loud noise? Or would you get "shell shock" from the concussion waves?
This is assuming WOT era tanks not the new tanks with all the fancy composite armor and high tech spall  liners.

DutchNeon #2 Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12469 battles
Spalling sure will happen (maybe on a very small scale if it's not HESH as HESH is known to cause noticeable spalling). Probably a shock through the vehicle too. Effects depend on the ammo type too.
Posted Image

Edited by DutchNeon, 02 October 2013 - 01:57 AM.

pitypanggg #3 Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 35310 battles

View PostJrgrid, on 02 October 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Would your ear drums burst from a loud noise? Or would you get "shell shock" from the concussion waves?
This is assuming WOT era tanks not the new tanks with all the fancy composite armor and high tech spall  liners.

From books I read it seems you get a hot red part on your armor, pray to jesus, crapyour pants, see your whole life in a nutshell, and thank god when you are still alive and that red part starts to cool off and get the original colour and temperature back.
But I guess it depends on ammo type, caliber and such as well.

sreel08 #4 Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10886 battles
Depends, as already written here, on many circumstances, like the ammo and its weight used. For example I read a report from a battle in Austria (think it was Vienna or around) where a Soviet TD shot 152mm rounds of concrete. On impact they just blew the enemies turrets off and killed the crew. On the other hand, if you were sitting in a Tiger or Tiger II, you often only would hear a hollow "pling!" and nothing else would have happened. There were situations in which the crew first was like "What was that noise?" until they noticed they were under fire. Though the bigger the enemies gun became and the worse the metal production went, the more splinters flew around, just from the impact. That was a common problem with the Tiger II for example. Even though he would not have been penetrated, the impact of the shell was so huge that inside metal "fell off" (sry, my English is not good enough) and flew around in the crews compartment and hurt or killed them often.

xtrem3x #5 Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32582 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View Postsreel08, on 02 October 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

Depends, as already written here, on many circumstances, like the ammo and its weight used. For example I read a report from a battle in Austria (think it was Vienna or around) where a Soviet TD shot 152mm rounds of concrete. On impact they just blew the enemies turrets off and killed the crew. On the other hand, if you were sitting in a Tiger or Tiger II, you often only would hear a hollow "pling!" and nothing else would have happened. There were situations in which the crew first was like "What was that noise?" until they noticed they were under fire. Though the bigger the enemies gun became and the worse the metal production went, the more splinters flew around, just from the impact. That was a common problem with the Tiger II for example. Even though he would not have been penetrated, the impact of the shell was so huge that inside metal "fell off" (sry, my English is not good enough) and flew around in the crews compartment and hurt or killed them often.

It was a Tiger turret they blew off

daveev66 #6 Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10109 battles

View PostJrgrid, on 02 October 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

I remember reading a book but a Sherman crewman whose tank got hit by an HE round that didn't get through the armour. After a loud bang the crew smelt burning, baled out in a hurry and hid in a nearby ditch. When they looked back they saw the tank sitting there, perfectly unharmed except for some burning branches they had added as camo. They just pulled the burning stuff of the tank, remounted and moved on.

My grandfather used to tell a story about something that happened in North Africa - Tunisia I would guess in 1943. He was an infantry sergeant, advancing alongside some tanks when a round hit the turret of the one next to him. No explosion so probably an AP round rather than HE. It must have glanced of the turret at an upward angle because it took the commanders head of at the shoulders. The rest of the crew started to bale out and granddad and his men moved well clear of the tank - wisely it turned out as the next round didn't bounce off and the tank blew up. Most of the crew got out in time but it was close.

rowns #7 Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 8951 battles
  • [NLBE-] NLBE-
Maybe this vid is interesting: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_5RjGF3s6YI
But im not sure if it is a real video, or propaganda movie.

Edited by rowns, 02 October 2013 - 06:45 AM.

MK1palmer #8 Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10354 battles
Well the Sherman firefly 75 pounder would singe your hair when it was fired. My grandfather told me this oh and he's deff.

Ghostwall #9 Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3950 battles
  • [CADAC] CADAC
There are stories from King Tiger crew about bounces. One guy reported looking out of the top hatch of the turret when it was hit and said it sounded like a gong being hit.

He said he felt sorry for the english crew of the other tank, because they could not harm the King Tiger, they just turned the gun on them and blew the tank away.

pitypanggg #10 Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35310 battles

View Postrowns, on 02 October 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

Maybe this vid is interesting: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_5RjGF3s6YI
But im not sure if it is a real video, or propaganda movie.

That panther driver was a noob for not sidescraping, peek-a-booming correctly, or at least showing it's front to the enemy. Although his teammates must have been even worse, since they fled or died and left him alone on that flank.  :blinky:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users