Lt Józef Stanisław Kosacki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

Gremlin182 #1 Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46045 battles
While reading up on one of this months events based around the second battle of EL Alamein I noticed a reference to "the Polish Mine Detector"

I knew they were used extensively during WW2 and since but had never heard of them called by that name.

I think its worth mentioning the story and the contribution made by the designers of this device that saved many lives.

The Polish Mine Detector was invented by a Polish signals officer, Lt Józef Stanisław Kosacki (1909 – 1990), serving with the 1st Polish Army Corps which was stationed in Scotland following the German defeat of Poland in 1939.
The following text is from the book "The Polish Contribution to The Ultimate Allied Victory in The Second World War" by Tadeusz Modelski. Page 221:
The thirteenth Polish invention: at the end of 1941, the technical unit of the Polish General Staff in London introduced the British Ministry of War production to a new improved model (the old model was invented in Poland in 1937) of the mine detector constructed in Scotland in 1941 by the Polish engineer, J Kosacki. The British authorities accepted it as the best one of its time, praising the Poles, and ordered mass production, under the name of "Mine Detector Polish Mark I". All of the British Army was issued with the detector; 500 mine detectors were used by General B Montgomery's Eighth Army, to clear the terrain before the El Alamein attack.
The Polish detector saw service throughout the war and the Mark 4c version was still used by the British Army until 1995. The experience of mine warfare gained on the Home Front was to prove useful throughout the war. While the Germans dominated mine design and mine laying, the British were the great innovators in clearance techniques, initially as a result of their own shortsightedness.

http://www.secretsco...ishMineDetector

BrokenWing #2 Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 25785 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Up the Poles!

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22283 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
Another feather in the cap for the Poles.
Also......
The Polish contribution to the breaking of the 'Enigma Code' was pivotal for the allies....http://en.wikipedia....s_of_the_Enigma

Perhaps why the intelligentsia of Poland where the first target in WW2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users