First gameplay of WarThunder Tanks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
169 replies to this topic

Industrial7 #161 Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3286 battles
Well, there are four possibilities:

1) Wargaming realises what is going to happen and manages to keep there player base by improving the game and listening to us

2)They realise to late and by the time they act half the player base has gone

3) They remain arrogant and wonder where the players went

4) We where all wrong and warthunder is actually really bad (unlikely)

Ballbag101 #162 Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13773 battles
  • [36TH] 36TH
hehe very true Industrial

I cant wait for WT ground forces, present day WoT is a mere shadow of the game I once loved to play, its gets ruined little by little every patch

as well as the game is now so full of fuckwits that it has become unplayable

IBLiTZKRiEGI #163 Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 3275 battles
  • [WOLVE] WOLVE
I'm not moving from WoT to WT because WT seems superior, I'm just completely fed up with WoT and I had stopped playing it anyway a few months ago. It's the least fun "game" I've played. I remember enjoying it once but it's more tedious than enjoyable when I play it.
WT is already excellent. Even if they didn't add tanks and ships I'd prefer it to WoT.
And people that are worried about planes dominating tanks, it won't be so easy for planes. Enemy tanks never have names above them, you have to rely solely on your eyes to scan the ground of maps, the maps are huge and covered in trees, embankments and other stuff that gives overhead cover, and you'll have enemy fighters to worry about too.

Edited by IBLiTZKRiEGI, 12 October 2013 - 12:17 PM.

makinwar_UK #164 Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5837 battles
Exactley plus anyone with half a brain will have volume up highish when playing GF so will hear the rumblings of a low flying bomber or a stukas siren as it dives so will have plenty of warning to get in cover or play a game of chicken and sit still and hope camo does its job

MilanSekulic12 #165 Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles
WoT is better than WT in case of gameplay but when I saw graphics of WT I was like WOW!

Mugetsu1 #166 Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7014 battles

View PostDan_Abnormal, on 04 October 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

They also need to get rid of that tacky 'artillery call in' feature, they don't even need arty with planes in the game...
first of all artillery is the king of battel field.. but if ya havent been in the army ya woud not know feck all about battles types etc. artillery is powerfull but WoT just fucked it and took it away wich is rightfull. Artillery is suport.
do some research pliz before sayn crapabout anything.
i do respeckt tanks foot soldiers artillery and airforces. i'v been in army and i learned to respeckt different types of war economy etc but as far as i can see ppl just cry if artillery hits ya from other side of the map.... i do ask why?
so back to the topick

View Postjinx_uk, on 04 October 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

The fact is this folks...that with the arrival of WT ground forces, WoT WILL lose players, no matter how many, but I personally suspect that a huge heap will leave WoT for WT. The competition will finally be here for WG and they'll be forced to step up. I know I will certainly be installing and playing WT and will have to make the choice of which I like more and it's having this choice that I like, a choice all of us will have. No more will WG dominate and hopefully this'll force them to change their attitude toward players. I welcome it's arrival.
The graphics certainly are fantastic and the effects even better and I suspect it will add a different type of atmosphere to the genre. Some will like it, some won't but I look forward to experiencing it. It doesn't have to be one or the other for us players, we can play both, but it's almost a sure thing WG will lose money as players decide how and where they want to spend. It can only be good for all of us so be positive.
I've spent a lot on WoT personally, but if WT provides me with what I feel is a better experience, this is where I'll go.
My own personal experience is I really enjoy WoT, I love the genre, and playing it has represented an amazing time for me being able to play with friends and meeting new ones along the way, but I can do the same in WT too, with many of the same friends I've gathered on my gaming journey. This time I'll exercise my right to be just as fickle as WG have been toward us with their lack of justification for changes, silent nerfs, incredulous lack of communication, general injustices toward players and generally poor poor customer relations. The game is great, but the devs and their code of conduct is not! So with that I say BRING IT ON!
coudnt agree more... 100% true. every one seems to bich about WT? only positive thing they see is the graphicks.  biching like "no health bar" " only 2 countries of tanks"  its just the beginning... health bar -.- do ya rly need it ? specialy on plane? ya see ya wing is toarn off ya need a health bar to know that your going down? your pilot gets shot ya need a health bar to know that your going down? ya engine gets shot and do i dare to ask? yea.... do ya need a health bar to know that theres a possibility of going down if ya aint smart enough to trie and glide back to airfield to REPAIR ?  rly ya dont need a health bad specialy on planes cos what i brought out is just a small numbers of plane problems that can happen during a flight operation and you have a option to trie and get back to airfield and repair while hopein a enemy aircraft aint comeing to kill ya. in WoT theres outlines of the tanks and scoutin not on WT wich makes it more realistic cos if a tank is in a bush camod and you cant see it then you cant see it not even with binocks. but in WoT sitin in a bush hopein no one sees ya and all of the sudenly your spoted "HOW?" [edited]knows cus ya where in a bush camoed and they stil saw you wich isnt real.
i'd say WT gives ya most real correckt tank+plane war economy atmosphere. its just a fackt. yea yea yea graphicks is good ik i'v tried theyr planes :P
just as WoT developed on tanks so will WT and i'm 100% sure they wount leave out any other big country tanks like UK, USA etc
i woud not say either game is crap... they'r both good in theyr own way and now during theyr wight there will be allot of changeswich am lookin forward to... i wount stop playn either game.

Edited by Mugetsu1, 31 October 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Zoraktar #167 Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5322 battles
  • [FURHQ] FURHQ
Aww... War Thunder haves just that what i waited from WoT.

I been waiting action like this since i joined!

Dan_Abnormal #168 Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32665 battles

View PostMugetsu1, on 31 October 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

first of all artillery is the king of battel field.. but if ya havent been in the army ya woud not know feck all about battles types etc. artillery is powerfull but WoT just fucked it and took it away wich is rightfull. Artillery is suport.
do some research pliz before sayn crapabout anything.

And again, this time in English please.

kensaishogun #169 Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12754 battles
Made a post in another wt thread, and since i spent half an hour on that bi..err.. wall of text, i'm just gonna paste it here, i believe it's quite relevant.

Hello, tankers. I've been a long time WoT player and i still do a battle every now and then. Currently i'm into WT so i think i can give a pretty objective and unbiased opinion. In fact, some even branded me a Gaijin hater for my attitude towards WT, so believe me, i'm not tooting any horns for either game.
That being said, let me start at the beginning. After a rough patch in WoT and a brief stint in WoWp, a friend recommended me WT. I was not a big aircraft fan, not much of a sim player (i think the last sim i played was on a 486) and not much of a history buff. However, on the promise that WT will feature ground forces at some point, i gave it a go. And boy, was I in for a surprise. Whoever claims even a spot of historical accuracy in WoT clearly never touched WT. The planes are modeled as close to their historical counterparts. Of course, some models are bugged or unfinished, but i would say that 80% of the planes currently in WT behave as they should. The developers and some very knowledgeable players bring up historical performance charts to back up this. Of course, there are plenty of issues still, like compressibility, superchargers, high altitude performance and whatnot. However, the devs acknowledged these issues and they are working on it, and given their record, i trust they will pull it off.
Now, onto the gameplay itself. This was the biggest "culture shock" i had in the last years. Going from 2D to 3D was another world and a new experience altogether. WT tries to be realistic, and as such, real life tactics and maneuvers apply beautifully to this game. If you read that the P47 Thunderbolt could out-dive any German plane, you can bet your bottom that you can successfully use that tactic in WT. Now, i'm a pretty old guy and i never thought i'll grow excited about learning new things at my age, but i was. Learning tactics, maneuvers, how do deal with different situations in different planes, i can honestly say that this made me a smarter person. When you fly a plane and you love it, you google it up and find some amazing stories about it, you're gonna love it even more. I was a pure tank player until WT, but now, being on the ground seems quite bland compared to the wild blue. So even if you're not interested in planes, you should give it a try, you may surprise yourself.
Another important component is the community. WT community is somewhat more mature than WoT's, but not by much. There are great people like RamJB and GrmlZ that can teach you a lifetime of flight experience in a matter of hours with their videos, and there's people genuinely enthusiastic about flight that can help you should you ask them. But there's also the other side of the coin. There are people that have no clue about how to fly a plane, and worse, they don't want to learn, there are team killers, rammers, quitters, vulchers, fanbois, and so on. So, so far, not a big difference from WoT, is it ?
Well, it gets worse. There's this class of people that the WT forums lovingly name "the joystick master race". One thing WT did brilliantly was implementing the mouse and keyboard control method. If you ever tried WoWp, you know what i'm talking about. WT's system completely trumps WoWp's. You can actually make the plane do what you want in WT. The joystick master race has a problem with that. They feel that the system is too good, and the game augments the mouse users too much, and they are at a disadvantage. They constantly [edited]about it, they will point out that they're the ones doing it right and you're doing it wrong, that it's joystick and cockpit view or gtfo. I own a joystick myself, and honestly this crowd is the sole reason i'm not using it in WT. Basically this is the lowest of the low part of a community if ever saw one. Nerf callers, whiners, trolls, none of them are as bad as these guys. These guys simply suck. So if you want to be a part of the WT community, you have better luck going on the WT subreddit than on the official forums.
Economy. Plainly said, the economy in WT kinda sucks salty chocolate balls. Firstly, you can't sell the airplanes that you bought, which isn't a bad thing, but that's a part of potential income that just isn't there in WT. This is partly offset by the fact that crews remember their training, so once they're trained for a plane, that's it. A crew can switch between the planes they "know" without any cost. Also, each crew has a ground unit that can repair a plane for free, over time. This varies between several minutes at low tiers to days at high tiers. Each plane also starts with 10 free repairs, which means that you won't need to pay for the first 10 times that the plane gets damaged or destroyed.
Sounds good so far, however there are somewhat hidden costs that you'll feel on the long run. Putting a plane into service costs credits. Specializing a crew to that plane (increasing pilot's view range, repair and reload time) costs credits. Upgrading the plane (engine, radiator, new guns etc) also costs credits, in addition to XP. When you add it all up, the price of a plane is doubled compared to the displayed price. But that's ok, this is a one time investment, it's a static expense, and the crew specialization isn't needed that much (i personally do fine without it on some higher tier planes).
The problem is the income you get. WT doesn't use a hit point system, so it's very tricky to quantify a kill. You can critically damage a plane, then some guy swoops in a puts some shots into your target, and he gets the kill, and you only get an assist. Assists are worth exactly crap in WT. Well, not really, but close. A kill is much more rewarding, which is one of my pet peeves with the game. There's a lot of kill stealing, there's a lot of people rape-training the first target they see just to get that kill, there's a lot of team killing going on because mr. X got the kill and mr. Y thought he deserved it, so Y kills X. Also, there's no spotting to speak of, so there's no bonus xp/credits for that. No income for maneuver kills (make a guy crash or snap his wings, that kind of thing). Battle time is rewarded, but Gaijin says that battle time = time when you're engaged. If you actually do your job and climb and you're patient and you don't dive on the first enemy and assist team mates and survive, well, your battle time is less then 50%. As opposed to the guy that heads straight into the fray, gets a kill, then dies has 90% battle time. Which is kind of retarded, but i hope they'll work on it.
WT does reward smart activity to some extent, you can get extra xp or credits for air win streaks, or ground kills streaks, saving ground forces, or a bomber or a fighter, killing a bunch of fighters, killing a bunch of bombers, killing a lot of ground targets, dealing the first or final blow and so on and so forth. Also, for reaching some milestone (level 20, for example, or scoring 30 kills with a specific plane). So it's not all bad. I mean, overall, i'm doing okay myself. I had enough money to buy just about any plane i wanted, put them into service, upgrade them and so on. Like WG, Gaijin runs discount specials every now and then, so if you're patient you can get some sweet deals. Overall, i can't complain, but WoT's economic model is... well, it's better. Remember, this is due to the fact that WoT uses a HP pool, so it's much easier to balance the income based on a fixed amount of damage. When given the choice, i'd pretty much prefer a realistic model instead of a HP one, even at the cost of reduced income. Also, WG running some awesome specials also helps in WoT, but let's not forget that they're running those in no small part because of the new competition... so yeah. Gaijin is starting to loosen up though, they're running beefier specials lately - during the summer one could get a free high tier premium plane, they had another one handing out free gold (which will be on again this Sunday), currently they're running a 50% off premium cost for a year's duration (i got me that today), they also gave a low tier plane just yesterday, so it's not bad, they're getting the hang of this.
Gaijin surely has somewhat less MMO experience compared to WG, but i think they're getting there. They're listening to suggestions -- i actually suspect some dev read my WoT/WT comparison on reddit i made some time ago and took some action, though it's probably just common sense on their part.
Now, the pay to win part. There's no such thing. There are some broken planes that overperform, but they are useless in the hands of a moron, and usually that's the exact type of people that fly them. Other than that, i honestly can't think of anything. Yeah, you can use gold to buy extra slots so you can bring 6... hell, 10 planes in an arcade match (in historical, you can bring only one, no matter how many slots you have). But if you need 10 planes for an arcade match... then you suck. It's that simple. I had matches where i didn't die and scored 10 kills. Actually, if i die more than 3 times in an arcade match i consider i "noobed out". Really, the number of planes you have in your lineup is completely irrelevant. The better you get, the less you die, the less you need more than 1-2 planes per arcade match. You can also spend gold to immediately unlock modules for your plane, but i never done it. You'll get there eventually flying the plane, what's the point ? I actually never heard about someone doing that.
Lastly, you can spend gold to train your crew. Now, this is quite important, because your crew will be better at spotting the enemy, surviving bullets shot into your cockpit, withstanding G forces, they will reload and repair the plane faster and so on. But honestly, it's not gamebreaking. I did spend some gold for some crews - mainly for my US planes, and while i appreciate the difference, it's not a trump card. I get owned using an experienced crew just as much as i get owned using an inexperienced one. Why ?
Because without the skill of the player, you can have the bestest crew in the bestest plane, it's still worthless, and a moron in a jet can get killed by a pro in a biplane. I kid you not, it's one of the best features WT has. You can have the crappiest plane on the map, you're not useless. You're a 1941 plane in a 1944 match ? You can probably out turn any 1944 plane, or at least set up an energy trap, or drag and bag or whatever. It's all about the skill. Compared to that, in WoT there's the premium ammo which totally and utterly breaks the game. Now that's real p2w. Yes, you can buy gold ammo with credits, but that isn't feasible unless you run a premium account and own at least a premium tank to fund that money sink. Compared to that, WT offers a true level playfield, where skill is everything that matters.
Well crap, this turned out to be quite the novel. So, final conclusions. Ultimately, play whatever floats your boat. If WoT makes you happy, by all means, keep playing. I switched over to WT and the only thing that brings me to WoT every now and then are some very favorite tanks and nostalgia. WT's arcade mode beat the crap out of WG's arcade dedicated game - WoWp. I expect the ground forces will do the same. My best argument, though somewhat subjective, is that WT made me a smarter person, while WoT made me dumber. I kid you not. Wt got out the best in me, the desire to learn history and tactics, the curiosity of trying new things, being patient, accepting and overcoming my limits, and so on. WoT... well, by my calculations, i lost around 60 million neurons and some 85 thousand synapses to this game. WoT made me not care about anything or anyone, made me jaded, cruel, when it didn't made me rage it made me bored. WT.. well... the first time when you let your enemy land safely and exit the game so he saves up on his repair bill you'll understand what sportsmanship means in an online game. Like i said, WT has its own bad apples in the community, but the way the game itself affects me is very, very different.
Of course, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.

knoxySR #170 Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7472 battles

View PostMilanSekulic12, on 29 October 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

WoT is better than WT in case of gameplay but when I saw graphics of WT I was like WOW!

View PostMilanSekulic12, on 29 October 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

How can you say wot is better in terms of gameplay then war thunder when you are comparing 8 minutes of video time to a game that has been played for a few years now. If you want to try and get an idea of what the tank games will be like then compare wowp to war thunder planes, Look at both of them and you will see that it looks as if a drunk child designed wowp compared to war thunder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users