First gameplay of WarThunder Tanks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
169 replies to this topic

Valeriadrina #141 Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 12826 battles

View Postchiggy, on 06 October 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

One advantage WOT has, is the amount of time it has been around. I know many who will not stop playing just because they have has over 10 thousand games. It takes a gamer with a very strong will, to stop playing this game IMO. I do know a few who have done it because they have come to realise that over the last 3 years they have missed out on some great games.
Players will whine about any game regardless..........but do you know of a community like this one? In my adult gaming community I hear more moans about this game than any other. Three years have passed to address the issues, but its just seems that WGing have either been unwilling or undetermined to think out of the box. Look how Gajjin took many of WGings original, early ideas and then implemented them in their game. Not only are Gajjin a creative company, they can think out of the box and deliver anything in their game with out restrictions or worry that it might be too much work.
I do not think WGing have any major worries, that they will not have players over the next three years. They will have players. There is however much they must do to continue their success because even big companies can fall, just look what happened to many of the Mobile Phone companies just recently who have failed to adapt. They were giants in the 1990's and now they are nothing.

Sticking to a worse game because you`ve played it alot is utter insanity. Every penny and second "invested" in a game is actually lost right away and should not factor into time use considerations after that time. Only play what is the best and most enjoyable for you. This will also force lazy devs off their butts to keep their product in good shape and slash their price on "premium" products to keep sales going on. Great thing for a consumer.

WZ_1111111111_4 #142 Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11103 battles
That gameplay looks too much like wot...

Luc2k #143 Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14953 battles
  • [ODV] ODV
Sooo much misinformation in this thread.

There will be tank only modes.
Only lights can call arty strike.
Arty is not off-map, it can be destroyed.
The game is still in early stages, so a lot may change.

I will definitely give this a shot when available, but I am wary of Gaijin after my experience with Star Conflict.

Hexley #144 Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18739 battles
More info from the WT forums -
Soviet and German trees at start with 60 vehicles (because they are more balanced and most used in WWII battles). USA tree will be next. Next trees? "We'll see"
At start there will be light, medium, heavy tanks and tank destroyers. Flak's will be released later (but possibly at release).
First they planned matches with 32 players on planes and 32 on tanks, but probably they will limit this to total 40 players in one battle (with possible later increase to 60 players).
There will be pure "planes vs planes", "tanks vs tanks" battles, but devs still undecided how to roll this out. Maybe pure battles will be available in "Events", maybe some checkbox.
They plan to implement advanced (manual transmission etc) and simplified tank controls.
Tracks can be repaired during battle, but chances are that you wont survive until repair will be completed. Maybe they even won't limit available repair attempts because survival rate statistically very low.
Tanks will spawn closer to the objective points than planes.
In the next week after Igromir they will release preliminary tech trees.
CBT (closed beta test) will be very Soon™. OBT (open beta) and release this year.
Fleet will be in 2014. They already implemented some prototypes but decided that resulting gameplay is too hardcore and can wait until air/ground forces get some more development.
http://forum.warthun...t-igromir-2013/

Edited by Hexley, 06 October 2013 - 11:22 PM.

Cobra6 #145 Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
I might start playing War Thunder tanks, I don't know yet. It's certainly attractive with more realism, actual nice graphics that don't chug up your system without delivering and nice gameplay.

We'll see.

I already play War Thunder rather than World of Warplanes, which I'm sorry to say, sucks quite hard if you've ever played a flightsim.
Yes we can argue it's not a sim, but how come War Thunder does the same trick as WoWP but does it 1000x better?

Cobra 6

Squadman45 #146 Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 47860 battles
I see now 2 diferent start points, WOT has the vehicle content and WTGF the game modes, both are going to compete to see who arrive earlier to "enemy" point on this, i explain.

-WOT has more vehicles to play than WT and even when WT has all vehicles looks like they are going to have less.
-WTGF look like has more options in gameplay.
-WTGF offers better graphics and maybe better performance in old PCs??? with same PC you has better graphics than WOT.

For me with only this WTGF offer more than WOT BUT lets see, if WG can add 2 good game modes before official release of WTGF... i think in a capture the flag mode with respawn and an historical battle mode... of course in graphics they can do nothing BUT maybe we can see in some years a WOT 2.0.

This situation remember me a little to the DOD VS DOD Source or CS 1.5 VS CS Source but saddly we are not going to see a merge of both options like with CS GO  :sad:

PD: i feel like following a derby with 2 horses running for my euros  :trollface:

Ooorky #147 Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 7032 battles
  • [_DRG_] _DRG_

View PostGeorgy_Zhukov_1945, on 04 October 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

Even if they release it I will stick to WoT I played it for 3 years and I have no plans to move away from it. Warthunder has better graphics but the whole principle (tech trees,premium account,3 players platoons etc) was Wargaming's idea. But this is good because WoT will have a competitor so they will work even harder on their updates  :smile:

Actually Navyfield was the first game with this kind of things, WG just replaced ships with tanks.
+the custom made online engine with a crappy korean mmo engine...

UKKSuurSuomi #148 Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 9731 battles
How can WoT have more vehicles at the end when WT will include wheeled afv:s, anti-aircraft vehicles, maybe even jeeps of sorts and ad hoc  technicals like we see in the middle east today? I remember one unconfirmed figure of 800 ground vehicles being used at one point... Even now we see a plethora of different vehicles and their variants used as nothing more than farmable ground targets  even though they are rarely more than tiny specks for the players they are in fact really detailed models up close.

I will probably skip the WoTesque arcade mode of the GF completely but i'll surely have my jollies in the HB mode just like i do now with  the planes.

Oh and after 18000+ matches (CB and release combined) leaving this turd was the best gaming related decision i made...ever. I tried playing this again few times during the spring but i just had to stop after the first match every time...just dreadful.

Akula971 #149 Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18524 battles
I don't know how many of you played the mod for BF1942, called Forgotton Hope. All the models done by a fan base. infantry, tanks, ships, & aircraft. Very enjoyable, and a great community too. Much less bitching and neg. rep'ing. ForgottonHope was years and years ago, and when I started playing WoT I thought it would be streets ahead, and it is in a very few respects, but in others? It has not improved much really.

I have very high hopes for WTGF, and look foward to driving my favourite vehicle, which was the Sdkfz 234 Puma, or murder wagon as I called it. Nice machine gun, 5cm pak, and great speed. I'd love to see a series of amoured cars in WoT, but all we get are more and more fantasy German and Soviet tanks......sigh.

Ooorky #150 Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 7032 battles
  • [_DRG_] _DRG_

View PostUKKSuurSuomi, on 08 October 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Even now we see a plethora of different vehicles and their variants used as nothing more than farmable ground targets  even though they are rarely more than tiny specks for the players they are in fact really detailed models up close.

I made this 4 month ago (medium settings):
Spoiler                     
Spoiler                     
Spoiler                     
Spoiler                     
Spoiler                     

Squadman45 #151 Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 47860 battles
Maybe because like in many simulators there are vehicles you can play and vehicles you cant play, they have in WTGF AT guns but i doubt you can use one... and wheel scouts... not all are specially good to use on ground, many of them are limited to roads maybe here HT and 6-8 wheels scouts can follow tanks out of roads (i think in Puma for example or M8 or the HTs used as gun carriage or AT units... and here only the german 251 mounting 75mmL48 or the M3 with a WW1 75mm).

I find interesting the add of these kind of units but maybe they are in game more for missions... i think in a mission of attack/defend a convoy with scouts on it for example.

Lets see what can offer WTGF but i think that in playable vehicles is not his strong point.

_Prince_Eugen #152 Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2980 battles
How tired of phrases like "Rip WoT" or "WT is the best". C'mon, it's a too different games. And, it's more like "rats abandonning ship" thing, if you want to quit game for a unbalanced eye-candy, you're free to leave, we wont miss you though :facepalm:

Edited by _Prince_Eugen, 09 October 2013 - 06:46 PM.

Squadman45 #153 Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 47860 battles
If rats* say they leave the ship "captain" can open the door to the supplies depot  :hiding:
More than leave or no leave game is a question of WHERE put money, in my case i have enough to play WOT for free, really dont need invest money if WT cover part of my play time... where put money??? game that can offer me more or a new one???.
* i refer to premium players, in the end if WG lose paying customers they lose even when enough players stay in game, if i need decide where invest my money i am going to do where i receive more for my money.

Edited by Squadman45, 09 October 2013 - 07:30 PM.

_Prince_Eugen #154 Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2980 battles
Yeah, supply depot :)

But, seriously, when people didnt actually play WT GF and already saying that WoT is worse, only judging by videos and eye-candy graphics.

Trollisljotiresns #155 Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11745 battles

View PostAvalanche_2, on 04 October 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Hope siemas will jump onto WT so WoT will become playable again :-)

AMEN!

Lemmingtrain #156 Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1924 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
More gameplay details from a 2nd Developer interview posted on the WT forums.  It seems possible that CBT may open in a few days but this has not been confirmed.

1. Will there be joint battles of planes, tanks and ships?

Apart from the fact that this is one of the key elements of our game - we are trying to have all kinds of armed forces on one map because not having them all on one map would only strengthen the myth that it is impossible to do. Now you could see for yourselves that it can be done in our game.

2. What factors affect the tank controls?

We're still working on it. Underneath the easy controls is a very advanced physics, i.e if you are trying to climb a steep hill with your tank and you just don't have enough horsepower, then... you know what happens, the tank will stop, that's why you should try to move with slalom etc.

3. How accurate are places of armor penetration?

The tank is presented with the use of few hundred parts, like engine, gearbox, rollers, crew, turret steering mechanism and other mechanical parts. The armor has its thickness, angle, in same cases a tank turret has armor with different thickness (layered armor), it can be presented with one or few blocks, we are trying to reproduce all this geometry.

4. How much will the tanks resemble their real life counterparts?

One of the key elements of design in our project is to have all the characteristics of combat vehicles as close to reality as possible. You can find many tanks in our game, some of them don't exist anymore, but this is not as important as the plans that are easier to work on, but for example the sounds are recorded from real tanks.

5. What shells and what ways of replenishing ammunition will be available ingame?

Most tanks that were presented during Igromir have AP rounds, HE rounds and APCR rounds. Everything is realistic because different tanks have different amounts of ammunition. In AB mode the ammo reload will be probably automatic while in HB you will have to return to spawn area.

6. How interactive are the surroundings?

Rocks or bunkers are hard to destroy. Elements of topology such as rocks, bunkers are objects that you can hide behind, they are indestructible, while objects like shacks, fences and trees can be destroyed without problems.

7. Will there be a cooperation between different kinds of forces?

Right now during presentation the artillery is indestructible on purpose, normally tanks, planes etc. will be able to destroy it... (incomprehensible).

8. What will be the differences between different classes of tanks?

Combat tasks of different kinds of tanks were different, if you don't take it under consideration then you think that i.e. a light tank is way worse than medium tank - it is faster but it dies easier, it has worse armament and is worse in general, but it's purpose was different. It is a fast vehicle whose tasks were to infiltrate the defenses, catch the infantry, take some position. In our game we balance it with the fact that light tanks can call artillery barrage. It's a class ability, light tanks can call artillery, each light tank has its own artillery support. Light tank can find the enemy, come closer to him and call artillery strike on enemy's position, it can also mark it which will make the enemy visible to allied planes. Normally the planes can't see the markers of enemy vehicles - it is very hard to spot a tank in the forest, light tanks make it easier.

9. How will the battles of tanks and planes be balanced?

We will experiment, test different ways of balancing such battles, it requires some decisions, research, we have different variants. We already found one type of battles - city fights and fights in forest areas where tanks feel more comfortable, they can still be destroyed by planes but it happens way less often.

10. How will the roles be divided between ground and air forces?

Ground forces will be taking strategic locations while air forces will provide air support and destroy enemy airfield which will lead to achieving air domination. The battle can be won by taking strategic points but the air forces will have direct influence on that.

11. Will there be a limit of number of planes and tanks in battle?

In current mode (AB), it's possible to spawn multiple times. While the enemies pick on their own, you will be able to see what your teammates pick and pik your vehicle accordingly to have a balanced team. I don't want to reveal the specifics now, but there will be some mechanisms enforcing balanced teams (i.e you will not be able to spawn heavy bombers with entire team at the start of the match).

12. What kinds of Ground Forces will be presented ingame?

Heavy tanks, medium tanks, light tanks, tank destroyers, AA artillery operated by players probably after OBT(?) or after launch (of tanks), but it is planned.

13. How will the AA artillery be presented ingame?

Just as it was in real life, and it was different at times. In real life timers had to be set to define the time of shell explosion, whereas on ships it was done automatically, the Germans used shells with radar that exploded near airplanes, but usually timers had to be set manually depending on the altitude of targets. We still don't know how this will work in our game.  In general we did not want to make AA artillery but it turned out that tanks have big chances of shooting down heavy planes, right now heavy bombers are being destroyed by tanks more often than the other way around. It wasn't like that in real life, but in real life bombers weren't flying at the altitude of 300m in order to drop bombs, also, the 3rd person view ingame provides much better field of view.

14. What will be the size of maps?
The map that was presented was 30 x 30 km or 35x35 km, I can't recall correctly. We don't plan to have maps bigger than 50x50 km. Actually we consider implementing some limits because right now you can just desert - hop into a tank and drive god knows where.

15. What will be the distance between tank spawn areas?

In current version I think its 2 km. We will work on that, it will depend on the speed of tanks and density of vegetation.

16. How long does it take to fly to the enemy airfield?

It depends on the airplane, 3 - 4 minutes on average.

Lemmingtrain #157 Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1924 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Details on the tank trees will be released this Saturday (12th) and there will be dedicated channels on Twitch at 16:00 GMT to explain these.

Everything you need to know here and links here:  http://warthunder.co...ws/292/current/

22cm #158 Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26193 battles
  • [YARLY] YARLY
No matter which game is better, competition will always be good for us, the players.
For me, War Thunder will be better if it has this 2 things:

1. No Hp for tanks, 1-2 penetrating hits will be enough to disable a turreted tank (1 hit only for non-turreted).

2. No Russian bias or Stalin-propaganda.

Lemmingtrain #159 Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1924 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
New screenshots  :glasses:
New info:
Arty will always be highlighted on the map to allow attack by air forces and reduce its effectiveness
Only scouts and light tanks will be able to call in arty strikes
Arty will fire ranging shots before the main salvo - this is to let tank drivers know they are being targeted and take evasive action
Arty will have limited shots per game
Player controlled vehicles WILL NOT be highlighted on the map to make detection harder by air forces
AAA will be introduced later but will come
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Lemmingtrain, 11 October 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Crusaderx #160 Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10171 battles
Amazing screens.

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users