Hamburger Hill, or Why I don't care any longer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

PowJay #1 Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles
Ah, it's the weekend again, and because I am used to being up for early shifts this week, I was wide awake at 06.30. So I played WoT.

The other day, I decided that it no longer seems to matter what I do, I am going to lose, so I decided to not give a s***!

This is just some of today's incidents, where I've done well (and lost) or just done badly.

AMX 13 75. Tier IX Pearl River. 10 go to the gap including all but one heavy. I go south with four. I shoot Panther II and am credited with the kill- he is Blue player on XVM. I also pen a Lorr 40T. I die with 974 damage, and I am SIXTH on damage dealt. We lose with cap but only had three or four left. "It don't mean nothing!"

Cliff. Churchill I. Top tier but poor gun depression lets me down at a crucial moment. I deal some damage, I die, we win 792 XP on x3. "It don't mean nothing!"

Sacred valley, I am team-killed by a Hellcat shooting at a face-hugger. To be fair, I was dead already so I got some compensation. "It don't mean nothing!"

AMX 13 75 Ensk. I am the only player to take the field. I find and kill their M5A1 (with a little help) and then find their arty and a Black Prince. I kill their arty and die. At this point I have half the team's kills and half the team is dead. 2nd on XP of entire team and beat IS-3, 110, Hellcat, Tiger P and Type 58 on damage. "It don't mean nothing!"

AMX 13 75. Died in two minutes, team stomped, lost again. "It don't mean nothing!"

Murovanka Encounter. SU-152. Luchs takes to forest and finds four enemies. Despite this, all but one T-150 and I defend the forest. We are flanked after a tough battle including arty, but team folds. "It don't mean nothing!"

Two lousy battles in Comet- which I am starting to enjoy. 1221 XP on x3. "It don't mean nothing!"

And I am saving the best til last.

SU-152. Severogorsk. South. I am credited with 5 kills, 2268 damage and 1929 spotting damage. Second on damage to another SU-152 with 4K damage. Third over all in game. Top-tier KV-3 is afk. We struggle, but we lose. And I was about half a second of reload time off my first Top Gun in over two weeks. "It don't mean nothing!"

9 wins. 14 defeats. My two-week WR has now gone DOWN, for the first time EVER, and having hit 52.81%, now sits at 52.71%. I have had NO medals or awards this morning whatsoever. And my WR in the SU-152 is on the verge of going negative from 60% and Ace in my eighth battle. "It don't mean nothing!"

Yes, I am disappointed, but do I care?

Hell, no. It's just another day in the World of Tanks.

Ghettoforce #2 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10395 battles
  • [BWR] BWR
I have read the entire post. wich was quite a waste of time, because "It don't mean nothing!"

PowJay #3 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles
Well, yes it does, actually and maybe you'd realise why if you gave it some thought.

This looks at first glance, like a major whine thread of the type started by half a dozen players every single day, but it isn't.

I used to get REALLY angry at the stupid things that happen in WoT. Being on the teams of tomatoes all the time, being on the team of Unicums and STILL losing, being top tier and watching the rest fold. Being bottom tier and watching the rest fold.

I have done REALLY well and lost and done REALLY badly and won. It is definitely no lie that I have had more XP on some losing battles that on some x2 or even x3 first wins.

The angriest I have ever been, I threw my mouse across my keyboard, smashing two keys off it- not knocking them off, BREAKING them. Yet despite all this cr*p this morning, I hardly even bothered to type Noob(s), Idiot(s) or Moron(s) more than a couple of times in all of those matches.

I am past caring!

And if you didn't get the Hamburger Hill reference (maybe you did), Shame on you!

Takeshi117 #4 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8641 battles
Its just the game. You will get good runs and you will get bad runs. Unless you are willing to make this your second job, which most of us are not, then you will win slightly more than you lose and you will see these peaks and troughs.  This is only a game and its not worth tying up your happiness, sense of worth, achievement etc in this. Doing well is cool and its a fun game but its a game and nothing more. Log for a while and come back fresh when tilt sets in and if it persists think about another game or even another use of your time. I have personally snapped at my wife after playing and once after a sneaky weekend daytime session snapped at my son, which was ludicrous, so i know how this game gets but its a game and that is all.

PowJay #5 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles
Which is EXACTLY where I am at, Takeshi117.

I am not a bad player and it frustrates me greatly when I can't do well. I do NOT expect to ever become a unicum, EVER, but I should be good enough to be comfortably green in XVM, which would please me a lot.

But, like I say, I have reached a point where I realised that I just have to chill, go with the flow and if I win- awesome, and if I don't- whatever!

I don't know why I have had such a poor couple of weeks, and especially a poor few days, but one thing is that I am NOT playing many of my favourite vehicles at the moment. I am concentrating on grinding my SU-152 in the hope that I can unlock the ISU-152 in time to get it discounted. Even on this matter, I have decided that if I can't do it, I still won't care, but I will try.

VendettADutch #6 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4322 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T
I am at the same point now...wr is from near 50 ( solo) to almost 48..can not  seem tot win..yesterday again 30% wr in 25 + games...just Like Every dat the last weeks ( yes after patch 8.8) .i still try my very best Every match but gave up on trying to teamplay..most Players are (b)/(n)ot capable tot do that..funny thing is ..it is much more relaxing to play now..the period of raging is behind me.

laser_frate #7 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 11521 battles
I accidentally stepped on a friendly stuart a long long time ago in my Panther II (or Panther I , i forgot ) , then proceeded to win the game with top gun. After the game he messaged me saying he got 100x5 xp for the first win of the day then described my impending rape in great detail. It's the little things that let you carry on :D  :hiding: like stepping on a stuart , try it :O

Dutchmul #8 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 24015 battles
Have a read of this thread, very similar.

http://forum.worldof...-lost-patience/

PowJay #9 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles
LOL @ laser_frate.

I re-enabled Encounter mode this morning. I think that I had only one of these battles, though. My WR has definitely gone down since I disabled it (for the third time) Maybe (for some reason) this game mode suits me- at least on some maps/spawn points. Ironically, the one game I played, we lost.  :sceptic:

I've had a chill, some breakfast and a coffee. I've got time for a couple of games. Surely it's time to do well? Isn't it? PLEASE!  :teethhappy:

Takeshi117 #10 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8641 battles
A short break might even help. I took a couple months off at the start of the year and while I am far from a great player (1143 WN7, 1000 WN8) I found myself improving a lot when I came back fresh, as I cared about he game less, which oddly led me to play better as I was less irritated by other players, RNG, my own stupidity etc.  Sorry if I come off all preachy - not intention - I feel for how you are feeling and this game can be a particularly irritating one.
Edit - I am also thinking of a break at some point soon.  WN8 caused me to reflect on a) whether I should care about the rating element but also b) my own shortcomings in this game, particularly at higher tiers, which on reflection WN8 exposed so I might have a break and come back fresh. This game is annoyingly as enjoyable as it is frustrating.

Edited by Takeshi117, 05 October 2013 - 10:42 AM.

PowJay #11 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles

View PostDutchmul, on 05 October 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Have a read of this thread, very similar.

http://forum.worldof...-lost-patience/

But it isn't. Yes, the OP is having issues, but his is more of a rant and a threat to leave. I'm NOT ranting and I am NOT leaving. Neither am I CARING (much)!

And yes I have seen that thread. I posted in it!

To be honest, though- if it wasn't for the forums, I would be convinced that I am the only one having these issues, I would probably blame it ALL on myself, (or at least a little more than my fair share) and maybe I would quit.

Thanks to the forums, however, I know that almost everybody has bad times. Which is reassuring,

Ziddix #12 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17501 battles
  • [LEOFL] LEOFL
You wanna grind your SU-152? I wanna try out this new T7 tank I got, let's not give a craptogether^^

StatPadder #13 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Major

• Clan Commander
  • 2910 battles
  • [JELLY] JELLY

View PostGhettoforce, on 05 October 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

I have read the entire post. wich was quite a waste of time, because "It don't mean nothing!"
Thats a double negative

Merquise #14 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27130 battles
The next step is to just play the battles you like and skip all the others.

piritskenyer #15 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 10964 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB
http://forum.worldof...n-game-channel/

Have you tried platooning yet? (one can get interesting results with all three toon members getting 3kills, effectively winning the game)

Maj_Solo #16 Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 61198 battles
  • [MO0S3] MO0S3
Focus on yourself, try do your best.
Then comes the next difficult thing try adapt to what your team does. ( I try a little )
The rest is just management of your own psychological health.
You have to accept losses. You know the enemy get just as crappy players. But if you just stay calm and do your best it should have an effect in the long run.
Your team needs you in a sane state and not in the cry cry cry cry state.
That means you are calm and sane even if your team is full of tomatoes.  
Next step is if WG feed you tooooooooooooooooooooooo maaaaaaaaaaaany 40% teams then it is bojkot and bye bye WoT and log out. Come back later.
(  :angry: WG should be punished I log OUT!!! grrr MIGHTY me I log out I will punish WG!!  :angry: )
no just joking .....
really ... it is just the "weather" that is bad on the server .... log out calm down come back later )
The most important thing is to work with yourself and your frustrated mind. You fix that part WoT is fun again. Or..... you stay logged out till it is fun again.
Took me 12K battles or so untill I understood that WoT or humankind will NEVER be what I want them to be ..... it is me I have to work with.
Not a foreign concept since I am half buddhist.
"It is not the reality that is important ....... it is the individual percieved reality that is important"
Some swedish shrink talking on TV.
I think you should work with how you are as a person and how you and all other whiners approach WoT and humankind.
:smile:
Are you a grown up mature responsible leader? I mean you guys have played WoT so much.
Or do you yell at the noobs and spread bad vibes?

Edited by Maj_Solo, 05 October 2013 - 11:02 AM.

Ziddix #17 Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17501 battles
  • [LEOFL] LEOFL

View PostMerquise, on 05 October 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

People don't do that already? :D

PowderBunny #18 Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30688 battles

View PostPowJay, on 05 October 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Ah, it's the weekend again, and because I am used to being up for early shifts this week, I was wide awake at 06.30. So I played WoT.

The other day, I decided that it no longer seems to matter what I do, I am going to lose, so I decided to not give a s***!

This is just some of today's incidents, where I've done well (and lost) or just done badly.

Yes, I am disappointed, but do I care?

Hell, no. It's just another day in the World of Tanks.

We might have shared a battle or two. I felt the same this morning (9 battles, 2 wins). The one thing which i found out, was me, adopting the play style of the others and not meeting my own level of play. So, i took a break. An hour ago, the battles were back to normal and i was satisfied more often with my game. Even when i lost a little bit more then i won. That feels good  :harp:

It was astonishing the way people played this morning. A kind of good old English soccer tactics (kick and rush)... :izmena:

PowJay #19 Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles
Clearly StatPadder didn't get the Hamburger Hill reference.
But it don't mean nothing. Not a thing, Brother Blood.

Edited by PowJay, 05 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

PowJay #20 Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34580 battles

View PostMerquise, on 05 October 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

I have NEVER deliberately gone afk, just suffered a couple of crashes and a ring at the door from the postman.

I did park up once and let the cap timer expire on Lakeville Encounter, because ten of my team took to the valley and "defended" the spawn point. The four allies who went to town were instantly destroyed and I was not going to make any difference to the outcome, except to be destroyed. I am not proud of it, but there you go.

I've played two more games. One respectable enough win and another loss. In the loss (SU-152) I managed to persuade the team, spawning in the forest on Malinovka Encounter to NOT try and mount the hill. We destroyed all of the enemies both on the hill and climbing the hill on the west side, but those of our allies who rushed to the field died easily.

I had a three kills, including a one-shot BLIND kill of a KV-1S who disappeared from view about four seconds before I fired and I had a piece of two others.

But you know....

Well yes. Of course you know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users