A Topic of Tank Suspension

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

IPaul72 #1 Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8123 battles
Hello all
I just wanted to open a topic for discussion on various types of suspension on WW2 vehicles.
So let me start by comparing the Interleaved suspension of such tanks as the Tiger and Panther ect as seen below:
Posted Image
As I'm led to believe the interleaved (torsion bar type) proved far superior to the Christie while running across rough terrain keeping the chassis stable, therefore improving the quality of the ride and accuracy of the gun.
In most cases it made for wider tracks on the i.e. the Tiger, which was a spread out the foot print of the tracks and reduced the ground pressure on softer surfaces such as mud.
However, one downside was it was overly complex took to much time to manufacture but took up less space on the chassis such as the Christie system.
I would like to look more into if it was prone to jamming and various ceases hence throwing tracks.
The Christie type suspension of the T-34 based on the Christie type system as seen on the Christie tank here:
Posted Image
Christie suspension type on the other hand was fairly simple compared to the interleaved suspension, this proved more durable at high speeds with its running wheel system.
I dare say it was easier under battle conditions to re track also compared to the interleaved suspension type.
I am now curious as to the responses and discussions this will raise among our community .... Just food for thought!
Feel free to discuss :
Kind Regards
IPaul72

Woody1999 #2 Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15924 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The Tiger II's overlapping road wheel design was hugely faulty and required maintenance after falling apart or jamming or throwing off tracks or rusting etc. every 5-10 miles driven even on perfect flat roads.

It was overcomplicated and expensive in both cost and time to build - but with (some) reliability supported the most feared tank at the end of WW2 which makes it sort of bittersweet to me.

Woody

Dazzerjeep #3 Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17427 battles
  • [L10NS] L10NS
Maintenance on the interleaved suspension was a complicated job, especially replacing an inner road wheel, the ride quality was far better better though.

I've not read anything about problems every 5-10 miles though,

Woody1999 #4 Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15924 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDazzerjeep, on 08 October 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

I've not read anything about problems every 5-10 miles though,

Probably wrong, knowing me. I read it in a book talking about weapons and vehicles of WW2 in my primary school - so don't expect it to be massively overcomplicated and legit.

And yeah, I was interested in tanks when I was 10. :tongue:

Joined WoT in May 2011, and never really got bored of it. Must be decent enough then. :)

Woody

Dazzerjeep #5 Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17427 battles
  • [L10NS] L10NS

View PostWoody1999, on 08 October 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

And yeah, I was interested in tanks when I was 10. :tongue:

Woody

Sorry Woody, I was the tender age of 6 as it was my first visit to Bovington Tank museum, I go there atleast once a year as I know quite a few of the guys who work there  :smile:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users