PC/TV monitor any good?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Pandabird #1 Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
So my old monitor, a samsung 22 inch tft started acting up basicly two weeks after the guarantee ran out. (irony much?)
and i was browsing through the tech jungle (seriously, i'm getting a headache with all these numbers and letters)

An option came to mind, I've seen a few of these Dual mode monitors recently.
As my computer is located in the bedroom i'd like the option to use it as a tv to watch the morning news when the computer's not on.

But are these monitors anything compared to the normal ones in sense of quality?

After all, i'd like the best of the best for the best price possible (not gonna fork out over 400€ for a monitor, i'll just go watch tv in the living room then...)

Requirements as a monitor would be:

Preferrably 24'' or a little higher, saw a 27 inch one in the store but it just looks a bit too big when thinking it's gonna be in front of your face and all

Fast response time like 2MS (playing a lot of games, soon BF4 will be out so it's an obvious must)

Basicly the best image quality possible (it's here that i get the headache watching all color contrast crap and IPS/LED TN CCFL options aaaargh x.x) Plasma is no option, i regularly leave the computer on and i don't want the desktop image burned into the screen.

monetary value and power consumption

As a TV... well no point in "smart" tv since it's connected to a computer,,, lol.
But it needs built in digital reciever obviously.
Just as little clutter/gritty picture as possible for a fair price is fine by me, would be nice if i could connect my pc surround system via the monitor as well because tv speakers are horrible. oh, and dvi and hdmi connectors so i could plug in a laptop as well if i wanted to.

So. Do you have any experience with these? If so, share your story.
Like i stated before i'll just settle for a normal pc monitor if they are far superior :P

TL;DR I buy monitor to plei WoT and i want tv built in when computer is off tell me wat is best gud option?

Dazzerjeep #2 Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17425 battles
  • [L10NS] L10NS
Get a full HD TV then connect your pc to it  :smile:

Pandabird #3 Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View PostDazzerjeep, on 07 October 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Get a full HD TV then connect your pc to it  :smile:

I read some things about normal HDTV's having sucky response time, growing exponentially with their size.
And as i'm browsing i'm noticing a clear pattern, 24 inch tv's are exactly the same price as 24 hd pc/tv monitors.
something branded as a monitor should in my opinion be more user friendly when used as one
I'm looking at a model now in particular: Samsung T24C300
For a pricetag of just above 250 i think this is a good shot. I have no idea about contrasts and color stuff though, reading about "native resolution" and "artifacts" (aspect ratios) at the moment.

K_A #4 Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
SAMSUNG 24b300 led full hd tv is 229€ here where I'm from. 5ms response time (if you can live with it), LED so good contrast ratio. Wouldn't be a bad choice IMHO.

Dazzerjeep #5 Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17425 battles
  • [L10NS] L10NS
I have a Samsung 40" LED in the lounge and I have played games on it using my PC, Awsome  :smile:

basin79 #6 Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
I tried connecting my pc to my Sony HDTV and compared to my monitor it didn't look anywhere near as good. Don't get me wrong it looked good in itself just nowhere closw to the quality of my monitor. Which by the way is a cheap and cheerful 22" iiyama.

Samsung monitors are supposedly brilliant so you could just have a look at some and google some reviews.

Pandabird #7 Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View PostK_A, on 07 October 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

SAMSUNG 24b300 led full hd tv is 229€ here where I'm from. 5ms response time (if you can live with it), LED so good contrast ratio. Wouldn't be a bad choice IMHO.

View PostDazzerjeep, on 07 October 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I have a Samsung 40" LED in the lounge and I have played games on it using my PC, Awsome  :smile:

View Postbasin79, on 07 October 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

I tried connecting my pc to my Sony HDTV and compared to my monitor it didn't look anywhere near as good. Don't get me wrong it looked good in itself just nowhere closw to the quality of my monitor. Which by the way is a cheap and cheerful 22" iiyama.

Samsung monitors are supposedly brilliant so you could just have a look at some and google some reviews.

thanks for the responses guys

I'll stick to samsung, checking out some reviews now. Easier when it's narrowed down to one brand so i think i'll manage from here.

Let's see if i make this topic again in two years (pun intended)

Dazzerjeep #8 Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17425 battles
  • [L10NS] L10NS

View Postbasin79, on 07 October 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

How old is your Sony TV and is it LED or LCD as that makes a huge difference where refresh rate is concerned

basin79 #9 Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
It's quite old now to be honest and it's LCD. I didn't have any issue with ghosting even playing UT. I just found the details not quite as sharpe and the colours washed out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users