french tanks are they coming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
173 replies to this topic

Hammerbolt #161 Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 34376 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
The italian navy had outstading light ships and costal subs. They gave the brits nightmares around Malta and Crete. And they had the best torpedo bomber of the war (the Sparviero) with 1st class crews.

It was the armor that was crud. And even then, in the hands of well-trained men (the Ariete division, which even Rommel congratuled), did miracles.

TrigerIII #162 Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:13 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postseaeagle, on 23 May 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

@Shrektones. I agree, the Italians had some great equipment. however their leadership seemed pretty horrid during WW2 and to a lesser extent WW1.

@Triger, nothing glorious.
so one country with some great equipment and horrid leadership during WW2 is laughing about another conutry with same problems.
I find it really ironical  :rolleyes:

View Posthammerbolt, on 23 May 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

The italian navy had outstading light ships and costal subs. They gave the brits nightmares around Malta and Crete. And they had the best torpedo bomber of the war (the Sparviero) with 1st class crews.

It was the armor that was crud. And even then, in the hands of well-trained men (the Ariete division, which even Rommel congratuled), did miracles.
+1.

IKerensky #163 Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Major

• Player
  • 23349 battles
And dont forget that French implication into WWII doesnt end in june 1940. French troups performed quite well from 1940-1944 in North Africa and Italy and the liberation of their home country.

Quality degrade in late 1944-1945 when veteran north-african where traded for unexperienced but whiter metropolitans.

French tanks are the best of 1936-1939, from 1940-1942 thoses are the Russian T-34/KV series then from 1943 on the germans but crippled with technical problems and low number.

But that is just statistics.

An interesting fact is that B1-bis and KV-1 have stories of single-handedly stopping german advances, a feat that could not be achieved by any other contemporary.

IKerensky #164 Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

Major

• Player
  • 23349 battles

View Posthammerbolt, on 23 May 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

And they had the best torpedo bomber of the war (the Sparviero) with 1st class crews.

???

Could you provide a list of ships sunks by Sparviero torpedos ? as far as I know the best torpedo bomber would probably goes to the Japanese G3/G4 Betty/Emily for multi-engined planes.

Hammerbolt #165 Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 34376 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View PostIKerensky, on 24 May 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

???

Could you provide a list of ships sunks by Sparviero torpedos ? as far as I know the best torpedo bomber would probably goes to the Japanese G3/G4 Betty/Emily for multi-engined planes.

Wikipedia has an excelent article:
Sparviero

More:
Sparviero

And more:
Sparviero

The G4s became famous due to the sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse. But they were, at best, average bombers. Their bomb load was little over half that of the SM-79, it was much slower, and it was famous for being easy to shotdown, due to an (almost) total lack of protection.

IKerensky #166 Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Major

• Player
  • 23349 battles
Thanks, I stand corrected. Even I love the very long range of the G4 and his night torpedoes attacks.

thud0rs #167 Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1827 battles
So...when are they Comming :/ :mellow:  :rolleyes:

Eide #168 Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postthud0rs, on 24 May 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

So...when are they Comming :/ :mellow:  :rolleyes:
Still quite a ways away. Tanks are in design or alpha testing now so don't expect them just yet.

Zenith #169 Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 4457 battles
The only thing which worries me are the post war designs, since the Germans will have nothing comparable; there's a big difference from something built in 1945, to another built in 1950! How will this be accounted for I wonder?

Panthera #170 Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 23543 battles
Well the newest German designs (E-series) were late war designs. Most of the post war build stuff is also late war design or very much based on that experience. Probably with some number fiddling balance will be reached, although balance will be very difficult with many different vehicles. That's why I think we shouldn't care too much about individual vehicle balance apart from the highest tiers, as long as every tier has some bright spots in it.

Deleted_User_spa_746415 #171 Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
It seems like all the french vehicle threads devolve into FrVSGer in the begginning of WW2....

Can't we just discuss the chars and how they will compete with other tanks INGAME?

Fawlty_Turrets #172 Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20307 battles

View PostGaulois, on 17 March 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

French tanks were more numerous than the German
French Tanks had a much better steel quality for their armor, making their tank tougher, and lighter than the German.

The overall quality of the tanks were higher than the germans.

However, we epically failed on these points:
Tanks were distributed in few numbers all across the army. (No armored divisions)
Tactics were ineffectiveness
Crews had low moral, and low, or no training to use the tanks.
No anti-air, and few air support
No radio inside the tanks (we had signal flags at first... and then morse radio.)
And we miserably failed to predict the German's deployment. Reinforcements always came one or two days late, after the germans were already passed, and convoy got picked one by one by the germans.

Tanks were good. The Generals & troops... not so much.

This sums it up. In Tankemen, by Robert Kershaw one french tank attacked a german column and took out 13 vehicles single handed, and as I remember there was one altercation where it took 6 panzers to take out just one tank. French tanks were far from crap sir, there usage though and ergonomics....and as a retort to an earlier post the French have made some fine cars in their time also.

Shootingstarr #173 Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26852 battles
french war tactics was like playing malinovka: camp untill the battle is a draw :P
I guess french were too proud of their famous maginot.line, they didn't even bother modernizing tactics at all
funny enough that hitler did the same mistake with the atlantic-wall (is that the correct term in english?) and the siegfried-line :lol:
rommel always demanded more tanks in france, yet hitler believed the fortifications are more than enough to hold up any invasion

however back to topic:
whith what patch are frogs coming?
I thought it'll come with 7.0, but then again I read 7.0 is planned for october, while frogs are planned around christmas?

Waroch #174 Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 9689 battles

View PostShootingstarr, on 04 September 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

french war tactics was like playing malinovka: camp untill the battle is a draw :P
I guess french were too proud of their famous maginot.line, they didn't even bother modernizing tactics at all
funny enough that hitler did the same mistake with the atlantic-wall (is that the correct term in english?) and the siegfried-line :lol:
rommel always demanded more tanks in france, yet hitler believed the fortifications are more than enough to hold up any invasion

Not quite. The Siegfried line was just there for propagandic reasons against the Maginot line, but was far from the efficiency of the latter. It was buit in the end of the 1930s, years before the Atlantic wall...
About tactics, let's not forget what the blitzkrieg really was designed for : taking over unsuspecting/unprepared ennemies in a very short time.Germany used it at the begining when no country was ready for WWII, i.e. France, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, USSR... But dropped it after a while when it had lost its interest.
The French strategy (but we should actually say the allied strategy), was simply to gain enough time to prepare the army for the big time. The Maginot Line had no other purpose but to force the invader to go where the profesional core of army was, and to stop them there long enough for the mobilisation to be complete, colonial troops to arrive, production lines to gain enough efficiency, and the most modern weapons to reach the lines.
Why doing this? Because everybody remembered what happened at the begining of WWI, and the horrible slaughters which took place in the first battles. In particular, every one remembered what happened to the tsarist Russia, which had made a very brave but very daring attack against Germany. After a few successes Russian army was severly beaten back, and Nicolas II lost power soon after that.

Actually, operation Fall Gelb was a fantastic bluff. If the Germans hadn't succeeded in crossing the Ardennes, and that was not an obvious thing, they would have had a very bad time against allies with more ressources, more troops and overall better equipment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users