Kv1-S The gun of doom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Todeskult #41 Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31675 battles

View PostLegateAquila, on 14 October 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

122 gun bouncing off tiger fronts? What the F are you aiming at?

Maybe at RNG... :blinky:

wims80 #42 Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10249 battles

View PostMerton15, on 14 October 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

In skilled hands it is a monster. In unskilled hands? I have lost count of the number of KV1S's I have seen die with zero damage when top tier. Usually when they are on my team and often it is a platoon of three of them that manage this "feat".
It's "VERY" accurate if you consider the least accurate tier 6 antitank gun to be accurate

Psycho_Baby_ #43 Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59766 battles
  • [AHAZ] AHAZ

View PostAchibot, on 14 October 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

They claim it's historically accurate, hence the reluctance (on SerB's part) to remove it. The downsides to the KV-1S are a lack or armour, long reload time, poor accuracy and long aim time.
It has the strongest t6 heavy turret, and some 1/3rd of the hull is autobounce.

Edited by Kwagga, 14 October 2013 - 08:53 PM.

brummiemk1 #44 Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17709 battles
My son plays this tank sometimes and looks awesome, some of the damage it dishes out is incredible. I haven't played it myself but he certainly knows his way round it. (Has a mastery badge in it). I always thought it was more a sniping tank because of the long reload time but I have watched him brawling with it and do well. Don't think the armour is that good but it's not bad either.

OneSock #45 Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28831 battles
  • [FUB4R] FUB4R

View PostKwagga, on 14 October 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

It has the strongest t6 heavy turret, and some 1/3rd of the hull is autobounce.
Yep my Arl44 with 212 pen bounces off the magical armour regularly. 1 hit from the boom stick of doom and half my hp gone, usually from half the map away.

Edited by OneSock, 14 October 2013 - 09:03 PM.

ARES_IV #46 Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15621 battles
  • [H-O-T] H-O-T

View PostSchmeksiman, on 14 October 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

I don't think he will be able to blast anything during his 15 second reload time and in that time I can nicely pen a few of my shots dealing more damage than he can. I have killed countless KV-1S tanks by simply being very aggressive during their reload and taking a shell if needed knowing that again I'll have another 15 seconds to finish him off. Simple as that, don't play by his rules.

In the majority of cases a shell will already be loaded by the KV1S. That means you only have 15 seconds (crew and rammer can reduce this further) to avoid 780 damage. If your oh so mighty heavy Tier 6 tank just got scatched be the most puniest of guns before, you wont survive a second penetrating hit. And penetrating it will be most likely, with 175 mm of punching power.

BTW, to destroy a KV1S in 15 seconds, you need 3240 DPM. And of course a gun that wont bounce once on the heavily sloped armor. I think reload is down to 11 seconds or so with everything maxed... at 11 seconds reload (did I mention that you have no way of knowing if the tank is already skilled) you already need 4418 DPM. Not many things in game dish out that much punishment and certainly nothing at Tier 6 or below.

There is also the signficant issue that many tanks wont survive a single hit. Then there are still quite some that may survive, but are hardly more that ready for scrapyard afterwards.

The cannon is just way to powerful for the tank having it.

Its theoretical weaknesses are not as important in real gameplay or are easily offset by a remotly smart driver.

- Accuracy: Cant be that bad, recently got spotted by a KV1S at 360 meters. (Appearantly he got coated optics or binocs) Well, I immediatly dived for cover and drove back down the hill. Which didnt stopped him from hitting the last top part of my tank being visible to him... Boom.... my poor TD was dead. Hitting the last 20 % of a TD at 360 meters.... idk what defines bad accuracy for you, but this is not really a case of it.

You might have a bit more trouble hitting weakspots, but then with 175 pen you wont have to bother yourself with aiming for them. Sure, at Tier 8 this might be a slight drawback, but then how many Tier 6 can do anything of value against tier 8?

Aim time - which brings me to the next thing. Do you realize how entirely unimportant a bit more aiming time is, when even a gracing shot can pulversise most enemies at or below you tier? Or the average fighting distances a KV1S is usually found?

Reload: Sure, some thing reload faster, but then even the most unskilled KV1S drivers peek a boo like a pro. 11-15 seconds isnt that long either. For sucessful abuse of the loading time you have to
  • Move behind the cover the KV1S most likey went after shooting, easily 5 seconds, even on city maps.
  • Aim at the KV1S and fire - 2 seconds if you are good
  • Do maybe 150 - 200 damage
  • If your tank does not survive a second hit/the first one you already have to run like hell.
  • Leaving cover, praying he wont follow you because he is dumb - 5 seconds again
Total: 12 seconds... if he is having equipment and a good crew you might to to slow already.

So lets see the trade:

KV1S: 390 damage
You: 200 damage at best

Next exchange of fire:
KV1S: 780 damage
You: 400... 600 if you are really great. And drive a tank with more than 780 hitpoints.

The KV1S just does have very little flaws that are of real importance in this game. It has a tremendous gun combined with great agility, armor made out of bounconium and reasonable soft stats in most areas.

Achibot #47 Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostKwagga, on 14 October 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

It has the strongest t6 heavy turret
Seriously? I'm not sure this is even a serious point, I don't know what to say honestly, other than it *most definitely* is not (even close) and that maybe you need to refer to some armour schematics for lower tier tanks because you seem to be rusty.

and some 1/3rd of the hull is autobounce.
If you'd read beyond the second post in the thread you would have seen that the armour model has been changed in 8.9 test and almost all that bounciness is gone. All in all not your finest post I'm afraid man.

Schmeksiman #48 Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15736 battles
  • [INC] INC

View PostARES_IV, on 14 October 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Spoiler                     

My opinion was based on a recent game where I outplayed a 1S in my E8 Sherman which reloads in just over 3 seconds. 1S that I was facing wasn't in a clan, didn't have the best stats according to XVM and his general movement showed me that I'm not dealing with a TC ready tank. Took one hit on purpose to finish of the most dangerous tank on the enemy team, I believe it was worth it.
I'm not saying that a KV-1S is a bad tank and can be easily taken out, quite the opposite. But a skilled player can take advantage of its flaws, lower skill of that enemy player and perhaps too much confidence to turn the odds in his favour.

If you ever meet a unicum in a 1S, well then good luck to you as you're going to need it.

Other than that, very nice analysis, I do have to give you credit for that.

Psycho_Baby_ #49 Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59766 battles
  • [AHAZ] AHAZ

View PostAchibot, on 14 October 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Seriously? I'm not sure this is even a serious point, I don't know what to say honestly, other than it *most definitely* is not (even close) and that maybe you need to refer to some armour schematics for lower tier tanks because you seem to be rusty.

If you'd read beyond the second post in the thread you would have seen that the armour model has been changed in 8.9 test and almost all that bounciness is gone. All in all not your finest post I'm afraid man.

It doesn't have to be.

The armor changes does nothing with the 74 degree sloped mid-glacis, it will be still there.

On the other hand the KV-S turret is definitely stronger due to autobouncing edges from the frontal arch than ARL-44s, M6s, VK-Hs, etc. It's practically the IS's turret from tier 7. Sides are superior as well.

Maybe T-150 is stronger in some aspect. Any road, it's a very risky shot against the partially overlapping mantlet or the edges.

Patronize someone else.

duvvel #50 Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27310 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB
One more thing why KV-1S gun is too OP for tier VI: caliber.
122mm caliber itself means that you are guaranteed to penetrate all armor up to 40mm regardless of angle - because of 3 times overmatch rule.

apulunas #51 Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28519 battles
i think it's a good idea to leave this game, i had enough with russian bias. everytime i match with a russian armor 1 vs 1 i have nightmares, very small weak points, op guns, well armor... plz don't tell me russians miss, this is not a long range competition. not to mention more than half of server play russian because of this.

Edited by apulunas, 17 October 2013 - 07:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users