Aulfk. Panther. Advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

FafnirDrake #1 Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14871 battles
I've been grinding through the Auflk. Pather to get it's final engine for a couple months now, in the hopes that it would make the tank enjoyable. Which really illustrates how much I hate the tank that it's taken me about 2 months to get a mere 40k experience or so for it. After test driving it in a battle with the improved engine, it's really not a big difference. It's a little faster and more agile, but that's it. And it's not by much.
This thing's camo is poor, it's view range is sub-par (most of the mediums it's matched with have higher view range, let alone other scout tanks), it's large, and it's sluggish. And it's firepower is outclassed badly by every other tier 7 light since the nerf to the top gun. They either have more Damage (WZ-131), an autoloader with higher pen (13-75), or both (T71). It's essentially a version of the 75mm L/70 with marginally higher pen.
All of this combines to make for a lousy light tank. At least compared to a normal light tank. Which gives me my first question and request for advice: I'm clearly driving this tank poorly (low 40s WR), and I suspect it's because I'm trying to drive it as a scout, when it's really not. What role do you guys use it in that has some degree of success.
I'm by no means a good player, but this thing is just sapping my desire to play. Other light tanks, I hop into and enjoy. Heavies and mediums, as well. Can blow an evening just blowing up enemy tanks or spotting them for other people to do so.
This hunk of metal? I get on, play a couple matches, and no longer want to play WoT. I just hop off and go play one of my other games or browse forums/webcomics. I just saps all the fun out of the game for me, The thought of suffering though another 150k xp or so to get the Indien Panzer and the XP for the RU-251 is something that just makes me weary.
So, again: Any advice for making this thing workable, and preferably enjoyable. The only fun moment I've had so far (admittedly most of my experience with it's been without top engine) was when some poor fool in a Batchat decided to ram me head-on and blew himself up while leaving me with around 15-20% of my HP. Which was amusing. But blind luck, and nothing more.

Edited by FafnirDrake, 19 October 2013 - 11:42 AM.

kuzheofgue #2 Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25787 battles
Depending on the map and Matchmaker, try to use it more like a support tank or hide in a good forward spotting position as a passive scout, but never in a place where you cant reach cover in a short time, because you will get spotted 50% of the time and when you dont get to cover, youre dead within seconds. The fun begins with this tank only at the end of a game, when you can move without being shot at by 10 guns at the same time. Then you can go out and search for remaining Scouts, Artillery or lonely TD's to finish off.
Then it can be really fun.
Also this is the tank I'm going for, when I just want to have fun and ambush lights with a ram attack out of nowhere.  
But for me its not a real scout. The only scout in the German Tree is now the Pz.38 n. A. I sold my VK 2801 long time ago and put my crew on the Aufkl.Panther, hoping for the German Tier 8 light tank. If it will ever come.

Edited by Rhodiebert, 19 October 2013 - 11:48 PM.

Askorti #3 Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11776 battles
I use it as an opportunity long-range flanker. I hang around sides and try to take shots at unsuspecting enemies and get out before they can react.
Aside from that, I ram enemy scouts. This way I can kill a 13 90 before it unloads it's clip.
And when I know I can't pen the enemy, I always go for detracking shots. I think you know, that when you detrack the enemy you get 50% of the exp you'd get if you damaged him yourself. Quite a damn nice feature, and very useful for lowtiers(bad MM roll) and scouts.
Oh, and if you have camo skill, camonet and binos you can try to passive scout in some big bushes. But always be prepared to get the heck out of there if you get spotted.

Edited by Askorti, 20 October 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Motormorphosis #4 Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13950 battles
Do not, repeat do not, play this tank as a scout for the first part of battles. Even passive. I have played 117 battles (so far) and have 58% winrate by playing as a long range support sniper to harass and annoy the enemy so the big boys can get on with their job. Maybe I've just been lucky with my teams, but after 117 games it seems to have worked most of the time. Other than that I use it as an anti-scout machine and scout after the main fight has happened so I can mop up any left overs (again in a supporting role!) and of course locate scumbags arty.

Jean_Bart #5 Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9185 battles
The Awful Panther is bad, full stop. I suggest you play it like a medium tank (i know this advice doesn't seem very valuable but i don't see any other option). I played my WZ-131 as a medium and passive scout sometimes and in my opinion it was an excellent tank!

Tazilon #6 Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles
Passive Scout and anti-scout at first, then once the game opens up a bit, just run around and harass the hell out of the enemy.  If you can snipe long range at any time, go for it, it is an outstanding sniper.  When engaging enemy lights, ramming is a miracle worker.
Here are some narrated YouTubes of some good Auf Panther missions from the EU and NA servers:
http://www.tazilon.n...antherHall.html

Edited by Tazilon, 28 October 2013 - 05:25 PM.

FafnirDrake #7 Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14871 battles
Thanks for the advice, gents. It definitely has to be played a lot less aggressively than most scouts I'm used to. I'll try forcing myself to wait more than my normal inclination. Still wish the thing had a bit better pen. A lot of the things it gets matched against it cannot pen in the sides reliably. Certainly not from it's typical engagement ranges.

Perhaps this is just a tank that doesn't suit me or my skillset, such as it is.

Tazilon #8 Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View PostFafnirDrake, on 28 October 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice, gents. It definitely has to be played a lot less aggressively than most scouts I'm used to. I'll try forcing myself to wait more than my normal inclination. Still wish the thing had a bit better pen. A lot of the things it gets matched against it cannot pen in the sides reliably. Certainly not from it's typical engagement ranges.

Perhaps this is just a tank that doesn't suit me or my skillset, such as it is.

Wow, I rarely have trouble penning the side of anything with the Auf P.

Zuyl #9 Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16214 battles

View PostTazilon, on 29 October 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Wow, I rarely have trouble penning the side of anything with the Auf P.

Agreed. In a tier X match it's not uncommon to pen at least all American tanks in the side and rear. Also most Soviets (and obviously French tanks) have almost no side/rear armour so use your flanking abilities.

As a pure light/scouting tank, this tank doesn't seem to work very well. Whenever i play i do a bit of scouting, revealing enemy positions and then get out of there asap, because you're almost always spotted. Later you can do a bit of flanking, sniping and maybe hunt down some autoloaders/lights/arty. Not a very outstanding tank and hard to master, but fun to play.

FafnirDrake #10 Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14871 battles
American heavies are extremely vulnerable in the side and rear. But most other heavies and large mediums are more durable, and you require favourable angles or close range to pen consistently, at least from my experience. 157mm of pen is decent, but at any distance, and with even slight angle... just doesn't cut it against the sides of tanks like the E-Series, or IS-7/4. Not to mention the more robust mediums.
Close up, under ideal conditions, of course you can find the weakspots you need. But as a tier 7 light, and of massive size, approaching a Tier 9 or 10 vehicle is risky as all hell. You present a large and low-hp target, if not for them, then their allies. You might occasionally find a vulnerable and lone heavy, but that's not something you can rely on. Plus, this thing's supposed to be a scout, but it's outclassed in view range by
nearly all the mediums it's matched with. And nearly matched by many in terms of agility.
Again: Overall, I'm doing better in the thing. The advice has helped. I just think it's cripplingly overspecialized for a role that it's not suited for.
As for my difficulties penning vs yours, Tazlion: You're one of the most notable light tank drivers in the game, as I recall. Something like 40k battles in light tanks alone. You can probably do well with just about any tank. Me and your average player? I have no illusions. Bear that in mind, yah? For the average player, this thing has some glaring issues. Not so much that they cannot be overcome, but they're definitely there.

Edited by FafnirDrake, 04 November 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Zuyl #11 Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16214 battles
Today the day finally came. I reached 110k experience on the Aufkl. Panther and i sold it. No regrets thus far, i feel a lot more relaxed now.

BlueDaedricDragon #12 Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11400 battles
  • [-LOCO] -LOCO

View PostZuyl, on 04 November 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Today the day finally came. I reached 110k experience on the Aufkl. Panther and i sold it. No regrets thus far, i feel a lot more relaxed now.
But will the 110k be enough for the RU-251 when it comes out?

Zuyl #13 Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16214 battles

View PostJJ2Gamer, on 04 November 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

But will the 110k be enough for the RU-251 when it comes out?

I think so. Just in case i can always use free exp. The Indien Panzer was about 80k if i remember correctly. I think 110k might even be too much.

FafnirDrake #14 Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14871 battles
Is there even an ETA on the RU-251? I was under the unfortunate impression that it was a backlogged project wargaming had set aside for now.

Askorti #15 Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11776 battles
Most likely some time in 2014. I heard that there were problems with getting it specs as some German Museums were unwilling/unable to give WG access to them or something along the lines.

DomyVRAPCE #16 Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13473 battles
  • [KEMPF] KEMPF
Mount konisch +camo net+binoculars and you have decent sniper

BlueDaedricDragon #17 Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11400 battles
  • [-LOCO] -LOCO

View PostZuyl, on 05 November 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

I think so. Just in case i can always use free exp. The Indien Panzer was about 80k if i remember correctly. I think 110k might even be too much.

Bad news...

FTR: Also, an interesting fact: it’s possible the RU251 as a tier 8 German light tank will be scrapped (WG didn’t manage to find relevant info), as replacements are considered (and discussed). There is a possible candidate, but no info on whether WG will go for it or not yet.

:(

Zuyl #18 Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16214 battles
Oh boy..

Then there's hoping for a tier VIII light that will come forth from the afk Panzer. Otherwise i have all that exp stacked up for nothing.   :sad:

FafnirDrake #19 Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14871 battles
Ugh, I hope not. RU-251 looked fun.

The cynic in me can already see the following in Patch 1.X (2014)

Changes to the German Tech Tree:
-Added (Insert crappy tier 4 light) at tier 4
-Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs rebalanced and moved to tier 5
-VK 16.02 rebalanced and moved to tier 6
-VK 28.01 reblaanced and moved to tier 7
-Auflk. Panther rebalanced and moved to tier 8
-Auflk. Panther view range increased to 400m
-Auflk. Panther second suspension traverse increased to 44 d/s
-Auflk. Panther can now mount a Medium Spall Liner

PanzerTedo #20 Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 35581 battles
  • [SLOT] SLOT
Normal round in Aufkl. Panther experience wise, but great fun for me playing it. With experienced crew its a great scout, especially in open maps like malinovka.

http://wotreplays.co...spanzer_panther

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users