not a hoax seriously not kidding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

K_A #1 Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13651 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
What's up dudes? I'm sure all of you already voted for the precious Golden Joysticks, am I right? :teethhappy:

Okay, first all, this isn't one of the two million gazillion scam posts claiming 4 easy steps to get 10 years premium and 10,000,000 gold. It's just something nice I just noticed while going through my e-mail's trash can. An email titled "You voted in the Golden Joystick Awards now claim your FREE game!‏" from Golden Joystick Awards.

Hmm... I thought. It sure looks like one of the million spam e-mails I get every week. But then, how does it know i voted for Golden Joysticks if it's not in some form connected to the organizers of Golden Joysticks Awards? Out of curiosity, I opened the e-mail. Here's what I find:

Claim your FREE GAME!*
You've voted in this year's Golden Joystick Awards - now claim your FREE GAME!* We've teamed up with our lovely sponsors at Green Man Gaming to offer a FREE PC GAME* to every voter! Click here to claim either Mafia II or Civilization V courtesy of Green Man Gaming. You must use the same email address that you registered your votes with when you claim your game in order to receive it. Thanks again for voting in the 2013 Golden Joystick Awards presented by Green Man Gaming.
* Limited to one game per registered voter while stocks last. Over 16s only. The promoting site is open for participants to claim their free game from Monday​ 7th​ October to Friday​ 25th​ October 2013 at 11:59​ GMT. For full terms and conditions click here.

"This actually looks like it could be legit!" I think and click on the "click here" text which is clearly underlined and bolded. Surely, it leads to a page where I need to create some kind of  an account to Green Man Gaming using the same e-mail I used to register my GJ votes. Fair enough, let's do it. It's not like I'll lose anything trying it since my spam filter will anyway filter all ads they're going to send me.

So I register, and here's what I get:

Thank you for verifying your details.
Your game is on the way.
Thank you for voting in this year’s Golden Joystick Awards and for signing up to receive your free game. An email will be delivered to you shortly with your confirmation and game activation instructions.
Enjoy!

So I check my e-mail, and I have a second e-mail from Green Man Gaming helpdesk thanking and providing a link to a page where I can choose from two games, Mafia II or Sid Meyer's Civ V, and three platforms, Steam, Xbox Live or Playstaton Network. I choose Civ V on Steam, and next I get an e-mail with a Steam activation key for Civ V. Cool! :trollface:  Downloaded it, no problem whatsoever. I'd sprinkle this post with screenshots but I'm lazy so I just copypasted things.

tl;dr:
if u voted for Golden Joysticks, check ur spam folder/trash can. If u have a message stating "u voted, get free game" it's legit, go for it! :blinky:

50lipa #2 Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4105 battles
  • [PIMPE] PIMPE
I forgot my e-mail password, since it was intended only to make WoT Account :facepalm:

Also tagged with not a hoax, seriously, not kidding

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users