Jump to content


How come the packages cost so much money?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

Poll: the price of the packages? (291 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

How do you feel about the price of the packages?

  1. the price is ok! (73 votes [24.83%])

    Percentage of vote: 24.83%

  2. the price is defintly over the top! (221 votes [75.17%])

    Percentage of vote: 75.17%

Vote Hide poll

theta0123 #61 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

    Brigadier

  • Beta Tester
  • 8223 battles
  • 4,481
  • [FHA] FHA
  • Member since:
    07-08-2010
Not neccesary. you can enjoy this game well up to 95% without buying gold

The only thing that bothers me, is the limited amount of space for non buyers in the garage.. 5 tanks is very little

StreetGrapher #62 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 9351 battles
  • 5
  • Member since:
    02-21-2011
All the fellas saying that devs need money to make it happen are right!

But you all also say its ok to charge that cash for CS on steroids (I took it as an example of a team shooter thats cheap, team fortress 2 also)...

You are all missing the point here:

Do they charge too much: yes.

What is the benefit of lowering gold prices:

You guys that can afford it will buy 2x more gold having both the premium and what ever other shit you like.

The other players will instead of p4f be in a pay to play mode because it will allow them to afford the gold.

Overall result is same or more likely more money for devs and noone bitching about it.


---

Also people keep comparing this game with other MMORPGS that give incredible boosts to premiums.

Lets take a look at NON RPGS, yet team shooters, and this is just a team shooter.

BfH you pay for xp and cosmetics, premium weapons in general only have 1extra bullet in the clip, premium knife is overpowered but EA has given so many free premium funds over time to all players, that everyone have it now.

Battlefield also balanced, pay for cosmetics.

NFSW even tho its a laggy piece of crap due to absence of servers, balanced.

etc.

WoT has premium ammo that is far better than regular. Consumables are balanced.

---

I repeat this is not an rpg, just a team shooter and should be priced as one. Hiding behind "Its free" ain't gonna work for a very long time. Especially with free players most likely getting frustrated at around tier6-7 cause they will have to grind tier5 just to play a couple of games as t7.
---


With that said I will get 2500gold after the release as a minor support to devs, but wont be spending a cent more after.

DaColdFlash #63 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

    Corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 1839 battles
  • 145
  • Member since:
    01-04-2011

View Postxack, on 03 April 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Yeah, but it isnt very interesting to fight all a time higher tier. You will feel a wonderfull feeling until tier II-III , when all are equal and you will love it!!!

Next day when you wake up will be a beautiful morning, you will turn on computer, your coffee is ready and your girlfriend is taking a shower. You login WOT and you see infront of you incredibly shiny brand new M3 Lee !!!. Its a best day of your life, you drink some coffee and take a big breath ... You know it's first battle for your monster tank and you can't fail because it's DOUBLE xp ... You enter the battle like a hero, your girlfriend is supporting you and suddenly you see your first victim, it will take just one shot to take it down... You start slowly moving towards the enemy, your heart is beating 5 times faster, you don't want to miss it ..., when you were passing through bushes you suddenly stopped WTF THAT ROCK WASN'T HERE BEFORE???, you look more closely, something is written there OBJECT 704  BOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!! You fall off the chair and your girlfriend fainted ... That moment you did realised that you need a premium account :D

Sorry for my bad english skills.

epic text is epic

R3b00t #64 Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 16246 battles
  • 1,936
  • [BISON] BISON
  • Member since:
    01-06-2011
The only reason not to buy the big package was the ugly heavy bonus tank. So I ordered the medium package, which fits me much better.
Buying Pre-Order package is like a Donation to the Devs for me so Ill do it. They could need a larger amount of money after release to get back a bit money they invested in our virtual playfield.
If you can't afford it buy a smaller package, a after release small gold package or just play if you can't afford anything.

Nyhon #65 Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 34973 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    02-18-2011
From all I read,everyone just complaining about the prices,which can be right,if we think about one thing,DO we need gold?And yes we do!I think this game gona loose many ppl after full release,just because U gona need to pay to play with friends,which is first F2P I see in this way  :( And with some time,ppl with no gold gona feel slight difference,cuz double exp helps U faster to jump in in some key tiers,like tier 5,in which this game is really fun,cuz in most battles U're top dog or U have to fight eaqual to U.Other than was just running from shots,and listening for anoying reports about dings to enemy tanks :D Cuz sometimes U have to fight 4-5 tier ppl.Tried to buy Matilda,tier 5 tank,was fun to play till U get some exp to buy new tanks,later on U get the feeling that exp exchange for gold is way too much costing,so having elite tank with no,or not much gold is useless,SO tier 8 tank for 75E gona earn U some gold,but I think it's gona burn your gold very fast,so talk about 10 month play is not correct,cuz U definately wana raise some new tank and not just play 10 months in one tier 8 heavy :D And I am not even talking about bullets for gold ;) OR premium crew,which is more useful than gold bullets.
    So...75E,no ty when I'll have to pay for team play and have to fight 4 tiers higher tanks.And don't compare this game to WoW,WoT is out of the league in content,and in WoW U don't have to pay only to play with friends.
    Just remembered to mention one more thing,to suport game,YES! Cuz it's good,but creators going greedy way,that's why I think it's gona fail,cuz nowdays U get LOADS of F2P games,or games really worth paying for.I would suggest lower prices and make team play free - more ppl playing,and dragging friends to this game,rather than few ppl buying premiums and gold.And btw,if game is good,he can live OK only with one time pay later adding some cash shops only for cosmetics of game I can give many examples.

Panthera #66 Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 23543 battles
  • 468
  • Member since:
    10-23-2010

View Posttheta0123, on 04 April 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

Not neccesary. you can enjoy this game well up to 95% without buying gold

The only thing that bothers me, is the limited amount of space for non buyers in the garage.. 5 tanks is very little

Agreed. Though I think you'll get an extra spot with every new tank tree released, right?

BadNews420 #67 Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14038 battles
  • 606
  • Member since:
    03-01-2011
Counting on 2500 gold per month i think is a little wrong, especially when you get 25k gold on your account. And i think that's my they made so big packs. How many will buy a heavy pack and only use it on premium? you will buy tank slots, bigger barrack maybe upgrade your crew, convert "free" exp, gold ammo for clan wars and gold repair kit to fix the mods that break all the time. Lowe looks nice and it's only 10k good thing i got 25k on my account...
I do think i will buy a medium or maybe a heavy pack but i also think it will be the most expensive game i ever played, not bad for a free to play game :P

Nikola_Bathory #68 Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Translator
  • 21830 battles
  • 564
  • [HWBG] HWBG
  • Member since:
    07-27-2010
The packages are not cheap, I agree. But when you think of it, they are not THAT expensive either. The problem is that you buy a lot of gold at once.... Many people will pay smaller amounts of gold per month and in this way theu won't notice it... I really expected a bigger discount for the pre-orders... But the game is cool, lets see what the future holds... I can't wait for the Clan Wars myself...

MrO #69 Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 13387 battles
  • 85
  • Member since:
    07-16-2010
The one thing that I can't quite understand is why did they chose to sell gold at this price where some will buy it and the rest will not, instead of making it priced so that you would be stupid not to buy it, wouldn't that also be more profitable for the devs.

theta0123 #70 Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

    Brigadier

  • Beta Tester
  • 8223 battles
  • 4,481
  • [FHA] FHA
  • Member since:
    07-08-2010
Yes this is something i expected aswel

Wargaming needs to consider=
-The garage size for non-paying players
-A discount for buying gold in much higher amounts

Im gonna make a suggestion about this soon. Those who feel like supporting it, please do so
but not now, got some other things to finish

helli #71 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2333 battles
  • 277
  • Member since:
    02-06-2011
Regardless wether the price is ok or not relative to what you get (thats something everyone as customer can and should decide for themselves), I think the main problem for the ammount of complaints is simply human psychology.

A big lump of cash at once seems more of an investment then several small transactions, thats why most F2P games tend to be actually more expensive
then "traditional" P2P games (at least if you want to play them semi-seriously), thats at least my experience with other F2P games I played.

So from a marketing point of view I'm not shure if Wargaming made a good choice with the pricing/content of the packages as it obviously puts of a lot of people, that would actually spend that ammount of cash in a simmilar timeframe without even noticing it.  :lol:




BTW:

View Postweerwolf, on 03 April 2011 - 06:03 PM, said:

Actualy it's a too much. 75 euro equals to 1875,- CZK. And avarage salary in Czech republic is 20 000,- CZK, and that means that 50% of population have less then 20k. In my reagion is it about 15 000,- CZK. So its more then 10% of month income.
I know that in west europe isn't soo much. But if developers match the payments to other nations they mabye earn much more.

Sorry for my bad english.

Not trying to troll here so no offence but seriously..... the math is weak in you young padawan.  :lol:

Recurve #72 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

    Private

  • Beta Tester
  • 8646 battles
  • 20
  • Member since:
    07-02-2010

View PostMrO, on 04 April 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

The one thing that I can't quite understand is why did they chose to sell gold at this price where some will buy it and the rest will not, instead of making it priced so that you would be stupid not to buy it, wouldn't that also be more profitable for the devs.

This.

Alienating part of the playerbase is not a good way to launch a game.

You don't need gold to play the game sure, but the psychology behind any F2P game is to make you want to buy gold. Otherwise the business model fails. The whole basis of the microtransaction model is to price things so they look trivial when looked at in isolation. People end up buying unconsciously, which is what the companies depend on. That way people who play won't think twice about spending the money. Prices that seem too high, even if they aren't, will make people watch how much they spend. This whole pre-order debacle has highlighted the price, so even those who buy, will keep more of an eye on their purchases in the future.

So while it's true to say you don't need gold, the covetous nature of gamers means you DO have to buy gold. While lower tiers are fun, games are about achievement. What's the point in gaining XP for gear you can't afford to use? Play for fun? Sure, lower tier matches can be great fun, but you're subject to enough other players wanting to maintain lower tier tanks for you to play against. With the matching system the way it is, we know that ain't always the case.

The price of gold being equivalent to x Euro a month is a waste of breath. The problem with the pre-order prices is that it's a lot of money at once. Finding a few Euros a month isn't a problem for most of us, but finding up to 75 Euros is a problem for many. That's especially true for our cousins from the old Eastern Bloc. Considering the studio is in Belarus, I find it strange that they didn't take that into account.

Effectively Wargaming is asking players to bet on them. To bet up to 75 Euros that the bugs will be fixed, that the promises will be kept, that the features will be implemented and that the game will continue to grow. Well I haven't seen enough evidence yet to take that gamble, and it seems I'm not the only one. Sure, 10 months is a long time, but I have played since OB, and I'm bored already. What's so new that I'm going to play for 10 months without the same happening again? Clan Wars should be great, but is it enough?

The other problem with this pre-order pricing is the effect it has on the players. Look at the forums to see the bad feeling towards Wargaming for their pricing structure. That could have all been avoided if they had put a little thought into their pricing. Sure, gamers complain about everything, but this has galvanised the players almost as much as the arti/no arti argument. It has created bad feeling towards the developers, which is a shame because the business model probably isn't theirs, but the company's, and they have worked hard to create a great game for us.

I run a marketing company in the UK, and I'm tempted to use WoT as a lesson to my clients as how not to launch a new enterprise. The game is great, the way the company behind it does business isn't.  :blink:

I hope WoT succeeds because I like it. But I think it will be despite the way the company does business, not because of it.

StreetGrapher #73 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 9351 battles
  • 5
  • Member since:
    02-21-2011
I see people adding average paycheck to the argument so beat this:

Serbia, average monthly pay is 200-300eur. This game = 76eur.

CeO mentioned there are a lot of players from the Balkans including a bad joke about Slovenia for some reason... Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania etc. are not to far from each other considering living expenses vs paycheck.

Why didn't you count in "A lot of players" under a separate billing zone?

edit:

Without free players and players that can only afford so much, server is going to suffer in numbers. If not in the number of players, than in the number of higher tiers. Again leading to high server costs covered by the few constant premiums or one time purchasers. I don't see how that's gonna work...

ArmsAndLegsGuy #74 Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Translator
  • 7907 battles
  • 949
  • Member since:
    12-20-2010

View PostStreetGrapher, on 04 April 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:


Serbia, average monthly pay is 200-300eur. This game = 76eur.
A small correction to your post : This game = 0 €.
As stated multiple times - The game is Free to play. Download client, register, play.

The Pre-Order packages are a one-of-a-kind deal, containing a large lump of gold, a special Premium tank which won't be available later, and an extra garageslot - all at a reduced price compared to buying the same amount of gold after release.

Gold-Only packages will be available in 5 different sizes after release.

The business model for funding the servers, the game development, paying off the investors, and feeding the developers, and support personell, is Micro-Transactions in the form of gold.

Neither the Pre-Order packages nor Gold-only purchases are required to play the game after release.

A&L-Guy

Recurve #75 Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

    Private

  • Beta Tester
  • 8646 battles
  • 20
  • Member since:
    07-02-2010
Without free players and players that can only afford so much, server is going to suffer in numbers. If not in the number of players, than in the number of higher tiers. Again leading to high server costs covered by the few constant premiums or one time purchasers. I don't see how that's gonna work...
[/quote]

This is true. It could mess up the matching system even more than it is now. We need numbers to be adequately matched to our tier. The fewer players there are, the more unmatched our games will be. I love my PzIII, but it's also fun to roll out an IS3 or Ferdi for a big-hitting game.

jist41 #76 Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2144 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

View PostRecurve, on 04 April 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

This.

Alienating part of the playerbase is not a good way to launch a game.

You don't need gold to play the game sure, but the psychology behind any F2P game is to make you want to buy gold. Otherwise the business model fails. The whole basis of the microtransaction model is to price things so they look trivial when looked at in isolation. People end up buying unconsciously, which is what the companies depend on. That way people who play won't think twice about spending the money. Prices that seem too high, even if they aren't, will make people watch how much they spend. This whole pre-order debacle has highlighted the price, so even those who buy, will keep more of an eye on their purchases in the future.

So while it's true to say you don't need gold, the covetous nature of gamers means you DO have to buy gold. While lower tiers are fun, games are about achievement. What's the point in gaining XP for gear you can't afford to use? Play for fun? Sure, lower tier matches can be great fun, but you're subject to enough other players wanting to maintain lower tier tanks for you to play against. With the matching system the way it is, we know that ain't always the case.

The price of gold being equivalent to x Euro a month is a waste of breath. The problem with the pre-order prices is that it's a lot of money at once. Finding a few Euros a month isn't a problem for most of us, but finding up to 75 Euros is a problem for many. That's especially true for our cousins from the old Eastern Bloc. Considering the studio is in Belarus, I find it strange that they didn't take that into account.

Effectively Wargaming is asking players to bet on them. To bet up to 75 Euros that the bugs will be fixed, that the promises will be kept, that the features will be implemented and that the game will continue to grow. Well I haven't seen enough evidence yet to take that gamble, and it seems I'm not the only one. Sure, 10 months is a long time, but I have played since OB, and I'm bored already. What's so new that I'm going to play for 10 months without the same happening again? Clan Wars should be great, but is it enough?

The other problem with this pre-order pricing is the effect it has on the players. Look at the forums to see the bad feeling towards Wargaming for their pricing structure. That could have all been avoided if they had put a little thought into their pricing. Sure, gamers complain about everything, but this has galvanised the players almost as much as the arti/no arti argument. It has created bad feeling towards the developers, which is a shame because the business model probably isn't theirs, but the company's, and they have worked hard to create a great game for us.

I run a marketing company in the UK, and I'm tempted to use WoT as a lesson to my clients as how not to launch a new enterprise. The game is great, the way the company behind it does business isn't.  :blink:

I hope WoT succeeds because I like it. But I think it will be despite the way the company does business, not because of it.

i actually hope some mod or dev sees this and delivers the news to their marketing department.
any mod/dev care to give a respons to the post?

Kazomir #77 Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

    Brigadier

  • Beta Tester
  • 16748 battles
  • 4,718
  • Member since:
    08-15-2010
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LaSPJCsxAv8
lol

StreetGrapher #78 Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 9351 battles
  • 5
  • Member since:
    02-21-2011

View PostArmsAndLegsGuy, on 04 April 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

A small correction to your post : This game = 0 €.
As stated multiple times - The game is Free to play. Download client, register, play.

The Pre-Order packages are a one-of-a-kind deal, containing a large lump of gold, a special Premium tank which won't be available later, and an extra garageslot - all at a reduced price compared to buying the same amount of gold after release.

Gold-Only packages will be available in 5 different sizes after release.

The business model for funding the servers, the game development, paying off the investors, and feeding the developers, and support personell, is Micro-Transactions in the form of gold.

Neither the Pre-Order packages nor Gold-only purchases are required to play the game after release.

A&L-Guy


For ignoring the base of the problem it self one player less on the server :)

I'm sure there will be far more from countries that you guys can't seem to find on the map ;)

BadNews420 #79 Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14038 battles
  • 606
  • Member since:
    03-01-2011
lol great movie :D

K4M1K473 #80 Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

    Corporal

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 31844 battles
  • 194
  • Member since:
    10-22-2010
Well personally, I preordered all 3 packs. Can I afford it? Actually not, but I decided to do it anyways.
Why? As many others, I like the game, and thinking about how much we have played and been given already, I think the prizes are pretty much fair.
This means that I will have 56200 gold when I have used my promo codes, but besides premium, I will use gold to convert exp and maybe even exchange into money.
What is most important for me is the choice of techtree line, which I have already done, and that will be the only goal for now, to get the few tanks I want to play with.
I know that the Devs/mods have used the testers to make the game better, but we also had some days with 5 times exp and silver. We had quite a lot of days with 500 gold each day
and they raised the gold amount from 150 up to 250 each day, so premium could be available for all of us each day.
Looking at the preorder prizes and the after release prizes, you do get 333,33 gold on preorder for 7,5 euro but after release it is about 300 gold for 9,99 euro
So preordering can pay out for all players




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users