Laptop Cooling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Kevbar #1 Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18007 battles
I play WoT on a gaming laptop but sometimes it struggles with overheating, especially now Mrs Kevbar insists on having the fire lit. I'm looking to buy a laptop cooler but have read lots of differing reviews.

I would appreciate it if any of you could recommend a good one to buy or even which to avoid and whether a large single fan or multiple small fans.

Btw, my laptop is 17".

Thx  :smile:

CipherGalmOne #2 Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19996 battles
Well, if you're any good with computers there's a couple things that are cheaper to try. For instance, if you know how to unscrew some screws and such, you can open up the bottom and blow out the dust with compressed air. And if you really know your stuff, you could take off the heatsinks, clean the thermal paste off entirely and put on new thermal paste.

Many manufacturers tend to have a bit too much thermal paste, since all of it is mostly done by machines. So if you know how to apply it yourself, you can do it with much less thermal paste between the CPU/GPU/NB's/SB's/etc. and as such have better heat transfer between 'the hot stuff' and the heatsinks.

Other than that, I don't know of any particular laptop cooling solutions that have fans and what not. But an easy and cheap way to try out is to raise the back a bit so it doesn't sit flat on whatever you're placing it on. So if it's on table, put a book under the hinge so the back rises up.

Friderik #3 Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25833 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
http://www.amazon.co...P/dp/B003ZMF27G

The best cooler I used so far. Since I'm using it my laptop never owerheats. + you can move the fans where you need them the most.

AnthonyRMcG #4 Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4775 battles
My G/F's Sony Vaio gets very hot when she plays Sims 3 for hours, so I bought a €3.99 sturdy box file in tesco and some glue for 99c.
I'm at work now but will post a picture of it when I get home.
Total cost using spares from my old pc builds €4.98
  • Marked out 2 holes with the bottom of a suitably sized glass. And cut with an art blade.
  • Butchered a USB cable and the wires on two old Thermaltake led fans.
  • Glued the two fans in place inside the lid of the box file (blowing air out of the box).
  • Cut a rectangle hole in the side facing away from the user and bolted a spare black metal drive bay grid from the front of my computer case (for air intake).
  • Finished it off with two alien fan guards.
  • The laptop is at a really comfortable height and runs super cool now.
  • The green glow looks brilliant too  :teethhappy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

K_A #5 Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13577 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAnthonyRMcG, on 09 November 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

My G/F's Sony Vaio gets very hot when she plays Sims 3 for hours, so I bought a €3.99 sturdy box file in tesco and some glue for 99c.
I'm at work now but will post a picture of it when I get home.
Total cost using spares from my old pc builds €4.98
  • Marked out 2 holes with the bottom of a suitably sized glass. And cut with an art blade.
  • Butchered a USB cable and the wires on two old Thermaltake led fans.
  • Glued the two fans in place inside the lid of the box file (blowing air out of the box).
  • Cut a rectangle hole in the side facing away from the user and bolted a spare black metal drive bay grid from the front of my computer case (for air intake).
  • Finished it off with two alien fan guards.
  • The laptop is at a really comfortable height and runs super cool now.
  • The green glow looks brilliant too  :teethhappy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just had a sudden urge to go do this myself.

GiraffeInATopHat #6 Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4565 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
ice?

Nvincible #7 Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19203 battles

View PostFriderik, on 09 November 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

http://www.amazon.co...P/dp/B003ZMF27G

The best cooler I used so far. Since I'm using it my laptop never owerheats. + you can move the fans where you need them the most.
+1

Have the same laptop cooler, very pleased with it. Simple but well designed, can be easily transported, and for the price it goes at, excellent value for money.

Hegelund #8 Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10224 battles
ASUS G75 lots of cooling

Kevbar #9 Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18007 battles
Thx for your replies chaps. The 'Cooler Master NotePal U3' was one I'd shortlisted but not sure whether or not 3 small fans would be better than 1. On your recommends, I'll most likely go for that one.  :smile:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users