10 Kills in Tiger 1... lose to Tier 1 tank cap!

heartache

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

stenaldinho #1 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19191 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT
Hi all,

A story of heartache, but also one of closure.

I need to get over this battle I had recently, maybe you can tell me if you would have made the same choice.

I was on the south side of El Halluf in a Tier 7 battle in my Tiger 1. I managed to mop up 10 kills without managing to cross the map.
I was absolutely pumped and there were 8 minutes to go. I then notice my only remaining opponent is a MS-1 Russian Tier 1.

- Nobody on my team had seen him all game when I asked
- I had no XVM Map to see if he was ever spotted
- He was obviously in a Troll platoon so he hadn't killed anyone
So I didnt know if he was AFK.

I'm sitting just outside my base with 8 mins left.
I decide that if he is AFK and I sit here and draw to an AFK Tier 1, when I'm sitting on 10 kills, I will probably throw myself under a bus.

So I go for it, straight down the hill, straight towards their base. I am just reaching the top of their hill when... my cap starts.
I just made it back in time but the Russian was behind the destructible base protection (thanks team!) and I couldn't hit him.

If I had stayed, I would have won. But in the circumstances... I still think I would go again for their cap.

Do you agree?  :amazed:

towe96 #2 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3639 battles
  • [N_M_C] N_M_C
You did the right thing. Better than driving around the whole map and producing a draw.

Homer_J #3 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27475 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Poststenaldinho, on 13 November 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

So I go for it, straight down the hill, straight towards their base. I am just reaching the top of their hill when... my cap starts.
I just made it back in time but the Russian was behind the destructible base protection (thanks team!) and I couldn't hit him.

You can blame the team but you were 1 of that team and had more chance than any to destroy it.

Otherwise, bad luck.

Eight_Ball #4 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Captain

• Clan Commander
  • 36758 battles
  • [AVOS] AVOS
two things, i guess:

1: As soon as possible, you should have gone for cap, as you then had better oportunity to get back, or win the cap race.

2: Alway destroy the structure on the way out of own base - This is again becomming an issue with all the new players.

Otherwise from that, I guess you did what you were expected to do.....

stenaldinho #5 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19191 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT
I did go for the cap as soon as possible.

I hear what you are saying about the base structures though.
I actually went through a few thousand battles destroying them, and then I got to the point where I said, nobody else cares, why should I bother?

Well I guess this battle is one of the reasons !

QQ

aGentleTanker #6 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21043 battles
That hurts!
I remember a battle in stug where I was only one left (with dead engine & driver, 20% hp left)  and a churchill on enemy team.
I decided to stay in my base and wait in a bush.
My team started to shout me, noob, blablabla
Then after 3 minutes churchill appeared and i started to shoot him:  critical, bounce ... now he sees me ... hit, he is at 4%hp left,  critical .... my blood pressure rising ... finally kill and match won with 5 kills.
With more hp and engine operational i would very likely also try to go cap.

Edited by aGentleTanker, 13 November 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Ronin81 #7 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25581 battles
I was in a very similar situation, Ensk map, 9 kills with KT and one enemy alive with dead players from both teams saying the last enemy is afk in the middle of the map.
Being Mr. Play it safe I promptly capped their base entrenched behind their flag tent with gun pointing the flank the last enemy was and finger on the trigger.
AFKs reconnecting, single shot ammoracks, losing cause you cant reach the cap in time or your client crashes DO happen, I've seen it first hand I ain't taking chances espesially when I am about to cash in a 2.5k XP game.
The games I've seen lost like that were on El Haluf map too, 3 tanks lost to a single enemy capping their base. Those hills are PITA if you have to be somewhere fast.

Edited by Ronin81, 13 November 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Stal1878 #8 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16730 battles
  • [WARW] WARW
Jingles told me to destroy the base thing so I do, but 95% of players in random battles will not.

And to be honest you can't really expect the causal player to know they need to/.

raur0s #9 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6797 battles
  • [-T4C-] -T4C-
8 minutes to cross the map there and back again? The Tiger is slow, but it's not THAT slow... :amazed:
Please post replay, I'm interested to see it

stenaldinho #10 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19191 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT
Jingles (aka our grumpy WoT Uncle) was the reason I destroyed base structures too.

stenaldinho #11 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19191 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT

8 minutes to cross the map there and back again? The Tiger is slow, but it's not THAT slow... :amazed:
It didnt take 8 mins to get over and back. What I'm saying is that I went, then couldnt make it back in 1min 30s once their cap started.
Unfortunately I dont have the replay, apart from in my nightmares!

Edited by stenaldinho, 13 November 2013 - 02:29 PM.

aGentleTanker #12 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21043 battles
Jingles is insulting players for being stupid and doing mistakes which he also does himself in his videos ... once you confront him with this he puts you on ignore after insulting you ... people like that make me shake my head.

YukiEiriKun #13 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9948 battles
You have to give credit also to the driver of that MS-1. But I can imagine the disbelief and frustration you were and are feeling about the situation.

Still, epic win for the "troll-platoon".

TJ72 #14 Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14701 battles
  • [E-T-U] E-T-U
That was a pretty funny conclusion -  got to love the cheek of that T1 :D
...but to enswer your question - yes you did wrong thing.
Always Secure the win.

Edited by TJ72, 13 November 2013 - 02:50 PM.

stenaldinho #15 Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19191 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT
I still like Jingles, though its interesting to hear him reflect nostalgically on the earlier days of his channel.
It is difficult to manage growth. (all together) "That's what SHE said".
In terms of Twitch streams, Circon gets the best out of Jingles, its just a laid back vibe where his rage is celebrated rather than controlled.
I feel that Jingles' patience with QuickyBaby's barking of orders and sly criticism is one day going to boil over. I love QB's content  but on LiveStream I think he is two-faced.
It's half the reason I tune in sometimes, just to see if Jingles will tell him to Foxtrot Oscar!
I remember when Jingles called someone a C### and QB reacted like he had swallowed Professor Frink's sourest gobstopper! You can't tell a sailor not to swear QB !

Edited by stenaldinho, 13 November 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Ishamel1 #16 Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12236 battles
Basically you noobed out and didn't destroy the base cover at the start.  lesson learned i guess.

TankMaster_Flash #17 Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28363 battles
  • [CELL] CELL
1. Loooooool
2. It's mostly bad luck.  If you had left base 30 seconds earlier, you might have outcapped.  Or if you had stayed at base, you might have spotted him before he spotted you (relative view ranges/camo values of tier 1 vs tier 7 would be a mystery) and got the kill.

But, you had no way of knowing whether he was coming to cap and it wasn't a bad guess that he might have been hiding for a draw.  Undoubtedly well played by him, who even knows how long it takes a ms1 to cross that map, climb the hill, arriving at exactly the right time...

AngryApple #18 Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7495 battles
scrubs always cap, and you have 8 minutes left, why not wait untill you have, lets say, 5 minutes left to see if he comes to cap then if he doesnt you go and cap yourself.

Homer_J #19 Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27475 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIshamel1, on 13 November 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Basically you noobed out and didn't destroy the base cover at the start.  lesson learned i guess.

To be fair on El Campaloof you spawn away from the cap circle but when it got down to 1v1 with 8 mins to spare and the only enemy incapable of killing you then that's where I would have gone first and if he wasn't there then assumed he was AFK.

Dan_Abnormal #20 Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32665 battles
1st rule of WoT: Whatever the common sense decision is, your average WoT player will do the opposite.

I meet heavies in scouting positions, I meet rushing paper TDs who think they're scouts, I meet top tier heavies in TD spots, I see people still go to cap even though the enemy have already started capping 30 seconds ago, I see people who have camped all battle rush forward as soon as they actually have a chance to defend/shoot something, and on and on and on.

Basically what I'm saying is you'll never make the right decision based on rational thinking, I've almost acquired my own 6th sense about when someone is about to start capping, I will move and then wait before I get to far away to make it back and I guarantee that within about 30-60 seconds of waiting they will start capping. If I'd carried on I'd neither make it to cap myself nor make it back to defend.

You were unlucky, I think anyone with half a brain would have done what you did, it would have been the brainless tomato who insisted on sitting in base for the last 8 minutes who would have won, and there is the crux of the problem, they do something correct once in their whole life ( a stopped clock is correct twice a day) and they will do it every battle just because it worked once a long time ago.

It's the same with locations they drive to "herp derp, I drove to this spot and had a great battle about 3k battles ago, I go here every time now and never had another".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users