Matilda IV

Matilda IV premium tank

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

great_kahn #21 Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21373 battles

Really enjoying this tank, amazing gun depression and elevation, not as slow as was expecting. Gun is pretty bad, but you can afford to spam ALOT of gold. Armour is pretty trollish :trollface:

Should provide me with the 3rd Russian MED crew i need.

SabiaMagarViteaza #22 Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51234 battles

This tank is a dinosaur, its been around forever and wasnt touched by nerfs or buffs because no one cared. Rarely seen one, never feared one, now i bought it for wanting a soviet medium tank crew trainer (and for beeing almost free at 375 gold on Valentines special).

Well, its got some things goind for it, its not fast, but very maneuvrable, gun is not bad (awesome gun depression, accuracy on the move, aim time and rate of fire), armor is OK.

The problem is that it doesnt have anything special (except the HP pool)

- 25 top speed is slow even for a heavy tank, no use trying to get in an agressive position fast, which limits its role to close support in tier 6 games (which it really cannot do since it struggles to penetrate tier 6 mediums, let alone heavies); main weakness of the tank;

- gun has incredibly low penetration and gold rounds are laughable. Even the trashcan T14 has 128 pen with APCR, which is good enough even in tier 6 games. Accuracy is not great either. Well driven tier 5 heavies are really hard to penetrate, even T-34s can troll it with good angling.

- armor really dissapointed me, expected something of KV1 troll value. Against tier 6 its practically useless and its very hard to use even against tier 5s. For some reason, sidescraping doesnt work in this, getting penetrated in the side at 70 degrees by tier 5 mediums is really not funny. I have the distinct impression it doesnt have spaced armor on its side and its full of weakspots. No need to mention the huge weakspot at the front or the garbage turret armor.

Lets just say i can easily kill another Matilda 4 with standard rounds by shooting its driver hatch and it almost never bounces, no matter how well she angles.

On the bright side, if it gets in a match with mostly tier 4s it can really shine, got a Radley-Walters in one of those.

All in all, im glad i got it, my A-44 crew is now at almost 3 skills and that is great.

knoxySR #23 Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7472 battles
Its one of if not the worst premium in the game. Its nice vs tier 3 and tier 4. Tier 2 td's could own you

no_name_cro #24 Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18939 battles
This thing is tier5 and Matilda(UK version) at tier4 feels 100 times better. If it does get dropped to tier4 it would be a really nice tank, this way it is very limited by very poor pen. And I mean poor pen, T14 has a good gun compared to Matilda IV.

RedSox04 #25 Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32230 battles
It's useless. I bought it for the 2nd time to help skill train a crew for Obj 140 and every game apart from maybe 2 was tier 6 where it's useless even with gold. Even if the enemy turn around to help you it doesn't get better. Sold it. Waste of space in the garage, yea, sure, it owns tier 4s and some 5s but I never got them. useless machine. Brit Matilda is a different ball game as is the BP version.

Redfoxrommy #26 Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23281 battles

Problem of this tank is tier. Wg premium tank policy makes pre tanks lower tier and nearly stock configiration like jagdtiger t9 - jagdtiger 88 tier 8, t-54 t9 - type 59 tier 8 vs because of guns and engines .But in matilda ll its diffrent orginal matilda is tier 4 but matilda lendliese is tier 5 and they have same MM ( bouth see tier 6 ) but pre one has bad gun .

İ think pre shells pen buff will make matilda more playable .

Rokim #27 Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29214 battles
Played this tank little more on testserver. This tank should be tier 4. Fighting tiers 5 and 6 I feelt like retard with 80pen.Basically tiers 5 and 6 raping you apart and u cant even pen them,I mean tiers 6 tanks are 5x stronger than this matilda.And they acctualy charge cash for this,brahahaha. OK 1.April is long over but still good joke.Every time I see it got 80pen I start laughing my stomack hurts 15 min.

mistrzubest #28 Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 36532 battles
DONT buy THIS tank, this tank have no gun, have no mobility, have no armor, it's hp last for 13s? of kv-1s reload.

knoxySR #29 Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7472 battles
If you shoot gold its bearable, pick you're targets which is a right pain because once you are in that bit of the map you are staying there, and good luck if enemy heaves are there. Not worth the money.

BaronVonGTR #30 Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11767 battles
  • [1-DAB] 1-DAB
Puting it at tier 4 would fix it. I love my regular pimped out matilda. But also not that great in higher tiers. But the premium doesnt face tier 2 tanks at all and tier 3 tanks are not that common either. 

Eila_Juutilainen #31 Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21464 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
I only have a few matches on mine, but I like the more powerfull engine (compared to regular Matilda) and the trollish gun depression of... -14? One of the best in the game.

SabiaMagarViteaza #32 Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51234 battles

I am doing the mission for the KV-220, which already seams a much better tank:

- better penetration (AP 99, APCR 121), which makes all the difference against most tier 6 tanks, while you have a real chance of penetrating hulldown T1 heavies and Churchill 3 turrets;

- much better armor, that is actually usable even in tier 6 games, and it can really troll tier 5 tanks;

- comparable mobility.

Only thing Matilda 4 has going for it are the soft stats of the gun (superb aim time, rate of fire, gun depression, accuracy on the move), and for me personally i need a soviet medium tank trainer more than a heavy one.

JohnTravolta #33 Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16231 battles

I only have 1 request... Give it more ammo.

60 shells is not enough - because of low penetration, you usually need to fire more shots...

Spoiler

Arxiereas_ #34 Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 61108 battles
  • [PNX-R] PNX-R

This tank I play right now has nothing to do with the Matilda IV I bought 1,5 year ago and offered me fun and epic battles.

Even though no nerfs were officially announced it's armor feels paperthin compared to before while gun got even worse (premium ammo mostly and voodoo to pen KV1 and AT2).

I wouldn't recomment it to anyone, not even as crew trainner

Annihilism #35 Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11412 battles
  • [XCOM] XCOM

Horrible tank. It is no fun to drive and probably the least fun tank I have in my garage.

The gun is just completely useless unless you spam gold ammo, and even then it is just about "meh". The armor is ok but anything above tier 4 shoots right through it. Want to run from a tank you can't handle? Forget it, you're too slow. Want to help that other flank that is falling? Nope...

Its slow, has bad armor for it's tier (the british matilda has the same but on t4 and with a better gun!) it doesn't actually make any credits since you are forced to shoot gold in any game that has a KV or a T6 tank in it. It feels like one of those tanks you have to grind through when going for a better tank, except this is a premium tank and you actually have to pay money to drive this garbage.

Dont bother with it, any of the other tier 5's are way better. Heck, even the T25 which has no preferential matchmaking is more fun in a T7 game. If this tank would have had a half decent gun it might had been at least bearable to drive.

Mazzyandmilk #36 Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2192 battles

I've never played the tank, but by looking at information about the tank, it seems that the tank has merely aged. Since the British Matilda at tier IV has been implemented, it seems that this tank is obsolete, except from the fact that it is a premium. It seems that it has not been changed at all for several patches; maybe it hasn't been changed since it was introduced years ago.

I still want it anyway.

Edited by Mazzyandmilk, 12 October 2014 - 10:47 PM.

Nahrmer #37 Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 29031 battles
Garbage. Stick your turret out and the tier 4 tanks will turn it into swiss cheese. It has nothing going for him. No armor, no speed, no penetraton, no damage. Dont make the mistake of buying this. Every time you play it, you feel like you die a little.

Edited by Nahrmer, 27 October 2014 - 09:14 PM.

War_of_Genius #38 Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28993 battles

View PostMazzyandmilk, on 12 October 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I've never played the tank, but by looking at information about the tank, it seems that the tank has merely aged. Since the British Matilda at tier IV has been implemented, it seems that this tank is obsolete, except from the fact that it is a premium. It seems that it has not been changed at all for several patches; maybe it hasn't been changed since it was introduced years ago.

I still want it anyway.

It is less useless than it used to be. See, in the old days it had harder MM and no premium ammunition. At the moment u can do rather well if u use a lot of these shells, but if u want to make credits and win, it is probably the worst tank in the game. They should take it off the market and reduce it to Tier 4 with max Tier 5 MM. (reduce hp to regular Tier 4 hp and dpm of course). I can not imagine that somebody would get angry about that.

After it is done, they can sell it again and will probably find some buyers.

Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 29 October 2014 - 07:44 PM.

nighttrain123 #39 Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17823 battles
I have both the IV and the MBP on my Xbox account and I do miles better in the IV. The problem with the MBP is the woeful speed and the flat (and big) turret face which even lacks a gun mantlet. Consequently I have found the IV to offer much better survivability. As for the gun you have to get close to medium range and know about weakspots. I would loads a dozen gold rounds or so still.

View PostRedSox04, on 07 July 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Brit Matilda is a different ball game as is the BP version.

Interesting. Why do you find the MBP much better? On the Xbox I found the turret to be very weak on the MBP (flat and wide with no mantlet), and the dpm forces you to 'stand and deliver' giving enemies ample time to go through it.

leoneazzurro #40 Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:50 AM

Major

• Player
  • 4654 battles
I played with it three times as I'm trying to grind the russian medium line and my T-43 crew is only at the middle of first skill. Two games were tier V and one tier 6. In tier 5 I got not big issues, armor is still reliable and in ss/hulldown it is not bad at all. Speed and manouverability are a little better than Matilda (standard tier 4, BP I did not try), HP are almost double. Gun has great DPM but lacks in accuracy and of course pen. With many targets this is OK, as many are very lowly armoured and this tank is a bane of light armoured targets. KV-1 and other highly armoured  tanks you should avoid 1 vs 1 as much as possible and trying to aim weakspots with gold ammo. Not much other chance. But both my tier 5 matches went well, with more than 1K damage each. Tier 6 match was a different story, your armor is less reliable (even if it still returns bounces if angled correctly or in ss) because average pen is higher and you can be penned easily even in turret. And of course efficiency of you gun decreases even more. In my game I managed to get two kills (a scout and a Pz. Sfl. IVc) and 576 damage, but I found myself unable to pen reliably an ARL44 even with gold and even if I managed in ss to defend agains, a KV-1S and a Churchill I, as my team collapsed I found myself surrounded and with low Hp - no chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users