Matilda IV

Matilda IV premium tank

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Da_chief_360 #61 Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10710 battles

ToG has 76mm on the sides and you've not got much more pen than that, 86mm with AP. This is why people should keep some APCR handy.

Abuse the gun depression where possible and don't try to take heavy tanks head on, its' kind of like the Churchill III which excels at bullying smaller tanks of the same tier or lower only without the box turret and 6pdr MG.

Bulldog_Drummond #62 Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 32193 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There's plenty of ammo capacity, so I load 20 APCR and with the Matilda you shouldn't be shy of using them if necessary.  It's a decent credit earner so even using some APCR you should come out ahead in silver.

The TOG is always seen as an easy target but if it is angled properly then it can bounce a surprising number of shots even from much higher pen guns.  And it quite often is angled properly because most of the people who have it won it in a competition and are competent players.

Rokim #63 Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28495 battles
Yes I was naive  try to pen togII in side with worst tier 5 in game.This useless undergunned garbage is not worth even 50 gold and its only waste of garage slot.

johncl #64 Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53351 battles

I like togs 

Rokim...What are you doing in your avatar it looks like you're having a Poo....Or a w**k......Its a bit much for a tank forum mate . 

Edited by johncl, 29 July 2015 - 07:10 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #65 Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:37 AM

General

• Player
  • 32193 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRokim, on 29 July 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

Yes I was naive  try to pen togII in side with worst tier 5 in game.This useless undergunned garbage is not worth even 50 gold and its only waste of garage slot.

Come off it.  Standard Matilda IV AP will get through TOG side armour most of the time if it isn't angled and if it is you can always try APCR.  With nearly 2,000 DPM you can afford a few non-pens.

But going head to head with a TOG in any Tier V medium sounds like very poor play.

War_of_Genius #66 Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

Major

• Player
  • 28989 battles

Shooting the side armor of a TOG sounds like not going head to head.

Besides: U like Matilda IV and u r successful with it: :medal: great!

It is still one of the worst premium in this game and definitely the worst in Tier V. That being said, before premium ammunition for credits was introduced, Matilda IV was even worse.

Bulldog_Drummond #67 Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 32193 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Well, TOG front and side armour is the same so I can't see it makes much difference, and that amazing gun will rapidly rip to shreds any Tier V medium that takes it on in a slugging match.

I'm always a bit wary of "worst" statistics for vehicles.  For example, I have several Tier V premiums as well as the Matilda IV, these being Churchill III, T14, RAM II, Excelsior, Matilda BP and T-25.  My 54% win rate with the Matilda IV is significantly better than in those other vehicles, and also better than my average of 51%, which you wouldn't normally expect for a premium vehicle.  My second best win rate out of those is for the Matilda BP, which seems to be universally hated but which I find quite effective in its way.

I agree that in the days when premium ammo cost gold the Matilda was a real dog - maybe that's why the stats for it are bad?  Mind you, the guns on a lot of premium vehicles are a bit weedy, and you have to be willing to shoot premium ammo when necessary.  The PzKw IIJ takes this to ridiculous extremes and in some matches you may have to blow off 50k silver in premium ammo to do any damage.

War_of_Genius #68 Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28989 battles

First of all: statistics wise u do not count as a single individual. U may (as u do and that's good) look at your statistics and see which tank for u personally fits best.

With that out of the way: Please keep in mind, that average damage probably is even more important than winrate, I will check your profile, if u do not mind.

*profile checking*

Damage wise, Matilda IV is average in case of your Tier V vehicles. Battles wise: Your stats of Tier V premiums r hardly worth using (for u personally) since most of them got below 100 battles.

If I may give u a tip: Your survival rate in these Tier V premiums is a bit low. Try to be a bit less aggressive. U should aim for 40%ish survived. Lead when u must but be opportunistic when u have to (T-25 and SU-85I nearly all the time, the others when u r not top tier).

Normally I would get the global stats and would use these to discuss the usability of the tank with u. But I do not want to. U enjoy the tank and that is all that counts.

In my 58 battles in Matilda IV I did more than 800 average damage, but I still did not enjoy the tank one bit. I hate to be 'forced' to use premium ammo.

Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 03 August 2015 - 01:24 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #69 Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 32193 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Fair point on survival rate.  I think my average across all vehicles is about 20%, and that's something I do need to work on.  I have a bad habit - which is especially bad with mediums - of sitting in a slugging match when I should be pulling back.  Also a lot of my crews do not yet have Sixth Sense, which makes a difference there.

Agreed also that there might not be enough games there to give reliable statistics, but my gut feeling when playing is that the Matilda IV, Churchill III and Ram II suit me better than the others.  The poor result with the SU-85I is a bit of a mystery as it doesn't look bad on paper and I usually do pretty well - by my not very high standards - with TDs, apart from that godawful French TD line.

My approach to premium ammo is to avoid using it when possible but to load it up cheerfully when it is genuinely needed to get a penetration on an otherwise invulnerable enemy.  I agree that that is quite often on the Matilda IV but I don't have anything higher than Tier VII (apart from the KV-5 and Obj 416) and use a premium account so I generate a lot of spare silver and it's of no real consequence.  I never understood those "gold noob" complaints you get in the chat.  What's the difference between paying silver for ammo and doing the same for equipment or consumables?

War_of_Genius #70 Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28989 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 03 August 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

I never understood those "gold noob" complaints you get in the chat.  What's the difference between paying silver for ammo and doing the same for equipment or consumables?

There was a time when armor and penetration was quite well balanced. And then they made premium ammo available for silver. I think this was even after they reduced MM to +/-2.

prem ammo opened a lot of problems and got rid of some.

The biggest problem they eliminated, that u had to pay money to have a chance on the world map, while successful clans got the gold through their provinces. Also gold shells for silver reduced the skill gap somewhat.

But it also changed the playstyle. While u used to know which tank could penetrate u under this circumstances, this is not true anymore. Now everybody is paranoid of being shot with gold, even if its just a high RNG AP round.

Second, sniping and shooting without aiming has become more viable. Load gold in your T71 and play as a TD. Load gold in your T32 and never aim for weakspots against Tier VIII again.

While there was a fine and delicate balance, gold for credits destroyed it and is also responsible for MTs becoming way more viable than they should be.

But I would not mind people calling others "gold noobs", since they r shooting gold themselves. They r just annoyed that this option exists.

Bulldog_Drummond #71 Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

General

• Player
  • 32193 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Armour does seem a lot less important than when I first started playing four years ago, although that may have been partly because you then saw higher tiers in battle.  In those days a Ferdy was pretty fearsome, but I don't think I'd bother with one now.  Can't comment on the clan issues as I never joined one.

On premium ammo, I'm more relaxed, as there used to be quite frequent situations where an enemy was totally invulnerable, however carefully you aimed or manoeuvred.  And if it is to exist at all then making it available for silver is the way to go.  One thing I really like about WoT is that it is pay-to-play, not pay-to-win, unlike some of the other godawful, rip-off multi-player games out there in which a clueless player willing to pay enough real money can guarantee a win.  

Rokim #72 Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28495 battles

Im giving matilda IV medal for being worst tier 5 in game.My last battle in this slow,obsolete,undergunned garbage before I sold it today was: shoots fired 25,direct hits 14,penetrations 5.

that was with 4 skill crew

Edited by Rokim, 21 September 2015 - 12:19 PM.

lord_chipmonk #73 Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35729 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

Yeah, the Matilda IV is not very good at all...

Spoiler

Lycopersicon #74 Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10747 battles

Stays firmly at 62% WR, which is blindingly successful for me. It is not too bad a tank, as long as you don't think that it is a heavy. It has heavy-ish armour, but the gun is not suitable for fighting heavies, so the tank works best as a bully for enemy mediums. I.e. take it to places where you expect enemy meds to show up, and destroy them with your dpm, hitpoints, and armour that poses some problems for most vehicles you meet.

lord_chipmonk, your review says that Matilda IV has bad viewrange. It has 350m, which is quite average at tier 5. Inherently good aimtime leaves a free slot that can be used for optics. Mine has 180 assisted damage on average, despite being as slow as it is.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 14 October 2015 - 02:36 PM.

lord_chipmonk #75 Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35729 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostCartoonVillain, on 21 September 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

Shameless plug. :P

Much like sanity, shame is for the weak!

View PostLycopersicon, on 14 October 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

lord_chipmonk, your review says that Matilda IV has bad viewrange. It has 350m, which is quite average at tier 5. Inherently good aimtime leaves a free slot that can be used for optics. Mine has 180 assisted damage on average, despite being as slow as it is.

That's actually a good point. For tier 5, 350m view range is alright. Guess I was too used to playing higher tier tanks at the time. I'll add an annotation to correct that. Thanks for pointing it out. I usually put binos in that third slot to squeeze as much view range out of the tank as possible. 

Humor_ #76 Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 47214 battles

Its a good tank.

Lesterlock #77 Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33022 battles

Its ok - falling into the slow well armored medium blend of tanks, which is fine. Except for one horrible issue it has.

BUFF THE PEN. I bounced the back end of a kv-1 turret with gold 3 times today. then i bounced the [edited]end of a tomato 0-1. At that point you are simply rolling your eyes........

For gods sake it's pen needs a significant buff. It just takes the biscuit given that it doesn't shine anywhere else apart from the armor.........

LelemudNo1 #78 Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 300 battles

Good at molesting Tier 3-4 paper tanks, crap at Tier 5 vs pretty much anything.

/thread

Lycopersicon #79 Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10747 battles

View PostLelemudNo1, on 15 February 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

Good at molesting Tier 3-4 paper tanks, crap at Tier 5 vs pretty much anything.

/thread

Crap against anything that has good armour, but easily defeats any other tier 5 med, and is a formidable foe to tier 6 meds. Really, the only trick to playing this tank is to avoid thinking that it is a heavy. Just go hunt those mediums, they will die like flies.

lafeel #80 Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4964 battles
  • [LAFIE] LAFIE
Actually ran into one of these in a game earlier, and put him out of his misery with a shot to his ammo rack. (he was on the opposing team before anyone thinks I'm a team killer)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users