computer configuration

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Milanista99 #1 Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29244 battles
Hello my tanker friends!
I'm slowly planning to buy a new PC and I'd like to ask for your advices. As I'm mainly playing WoT, I just want it to run on the best settings (possibly with some reserves if they plan some upgrade). Of course I don't want to spend a fortune on it, is it possible to buy something like this for about 700 Euros (It can be even less if possible :D)? What configuration (parts) do you suggest? I was thinking about an i5 core (if I'm right i7 would be unnecessarry because WoT uses only 1 core), 8 Gb ram (enough?), but I don't really know what are the best motherboards and graphic cards in this price range.
I would be happy if somebody could help me.
Thanks
Milanista :blinky:
p.s. I have a 1920x1080 monitor
p.s.2 I don't even know if AMD or Intel processors are better nowadays..

Edited by Milanista99, 03 December 2013 - 03:26 PM.

Pandabird #2 Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
I just built a rig, 1200 budget but i can basicly help you out a bit if you need a cheaper one. First: what exact parts to you already own? i assume you have an old computer right now. you have a good case or need a new one? can you reuse your power supply (and what Wattage does it have?) what parts are in your old rig? ddr3 memory?
for your questions: Yes, 8gb is all you need for a gaming computer today :)
Asrock make awesome motherboards with good price/quality balance (i'd recommend some shortly)
Intel is the leader at the moment, AMD has come out with new technology lately but it's still way too soon for normal people to buy it :)
intel i5 is a good option allround
Here's a list for parts that meet your budget but only if you already have a computer case + power supply, some old hard drive to store stuff in, dvd drive and monitor keyboard mouse (600w would be enough)
Motherboard: Asrock z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5-3350P (if you plan to overclock i strongly recommend i5-3570K though, there's a chart here -->http://www.tomshardw...ock,3106-6.html )
CPU cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 EVO (propably the best low budget air cooler there is)
Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz [Just buy the cheapest of this set you can find!!! it does not matter at all about anything else like how it looks and who made it]
GPU: Now here it's all up to you wether you want nVidia or AMD graphic card.
A good budget for a gaming graphic card is around 300€ and is easily the most expensive part, so choose carefully.
here's a very good article for you to check out about price/performance balance http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-8.html
I'd say go for a Geforce 760 GTX if you want cheap and good.
all in all you should now be around 650 euro budget
An SSD drive would be a good investment for you, i personally own a Samsung 840 pro 256 gb SSD
It does not need to be that big, the thing is you make it your master disk and install your windows to it, only the most demanding programs and games, and everything else you put on your other normal hard drives like movies pictures e.t.c.. a 128gb ssd should go for about 100 right now.
that's 750 max for a pretty neat budget setup

Edited by Pandabird, 03 December 2013 - 09:21 PM.

Milanista99 #3 Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29244 battles
Hi Pandabird,

At first, thank you for your helpful answer and your time :)
As my computer is qite old, I'd want to build / buy a new one.
I made near the same configuration you wrote with a PC configurator on some page, it would cost 811, which is OK (I will look up how much the components cost and if its much cheaper I can build one with a little help). I will wait till february, maybe it will be a bit cheaper.
I have some last questions:
What is the difference between the i5 4xxx and 3xxx series?
How much does the motherboard and the SSD affect the performance?

Thank you again

Pandabird #4 Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
afaik they are just model numbers with some insignificant performance difference for gaming.

higher number usually means better, but.

I'll make 2 examples.

i5-3570k
i5-4670k

running stock (i mean no tweaking or changes made),the 4670k is slightly better. But the 3570k is really famous for OC capability, and will actually overclock for equal or even slightly better performance than an overclocked 4670k.

a 3570k over a 3350p is an investment you might concider if you need to squeeze out 5 more fps in a few years for that one new game but can't afford a new computer.
it's no must to start overclocking instantly because you need to study and learn a lot before you start, there's risks if you do it wrong.

I'd not recommend an i7 processor yet because they are very expensive.

oh and always check your motherboard web page that the specific CPU will work with the mobo you buy!

The motherboard does not affect performance much, almost none at all.

But keep in mind the mobo will still be the 'soul' of your computer and have all parts connected to it.
Imagine all the voltage it regulates between cpu memory and gpu and everything else. don't pick the cheapest junk you can find, you might get all your computer parts zapped if a mobo short circuits one day. it happened to me so that's why i really don't recommend 40€ mobos like many others do

So the important things when you choose mobos are quality, durability, user-friendliness, and what i/o panel ports it comes with (like 6 usb3 outputs, built in sound), software, and most important of all, price/quality balance.

I still strongly recommend Asrock mobos, they are very well made for gaming pc needs without ridicilous prices like i/e newer Asus mobos can have (Asus mobos are just godly though...)

The SSD would be the coolest thing ever for you.

It's a hyper mega super duper fast hard drive that's 100% silent.
No more "crunch crunch" noises when your computer is thinking, and wow does it start thinking fast!!
read speed and write speed are just off the charts compared to normal hard drives
Almost a must for any Windows 7 or 8 64Bit user.
Did i mention its fast? From the moment i press the power button and take a seat, the desktop is already showing.

There's a catch though. It's much more expensive than ordinary hard drives
You'll want to limit the number of writes to secure long life length of it so no unneeded installs of 'worms2' or "duke nukem 3d" for the lols.

For both those reasons it's generally recommended to have a second normal hard drive for all 'files' like movies, screenshots, pictures, older games that would not benefit from fast read speeds and so on.

kevenh_66 #5 Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20853 battles
I asked a fairly similar question a few weeks ago and ended up with a Chillblast custom PC that's great for me & my modest needs.

I emailed my budget & some guidle line wants & likes to sales@chillblast.com

My system is approx. €800 base only with these main parts: -
Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor Overclocked to up to 4.2GHz
Asus Z87-K Motherboard - Haswell CPU only
8GB DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
Sparkle NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost 2048MB Graphics Card

I couldn't find a PC with those exact specs on their website but there are similar dearer ones there.
I couldn't build my own for the price.
ymmv

kevenh_66 #6 Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20853 battles

View PostPandabird, on 04 December 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

The SSD would be the coolest thing ever for you.

It's a hyper mega super duper fast hard drive that's 100% silent.
No more "crunch crunch" noises when your computer is thinking, and wow does it start thinking fast!!
read speed and write speed are just off the charts compared to normal hard drives
Almost a must for any Windows 7 or 8 64Bit user.
Did i mention its fast? From the moment i press the power button and take a seat, the desktop is already showing.

There's a catch though. It's much more expensive than ordinary hard drives
You'll want to limit the number of writes to secure long life length of it so no unneeded installs of 'worms2' or "duke nukem 3d" for the lols.

For both those reasons it's generally recommended to have a second normal hard drive for all 'files' like movies, screenshots, pictures, older games that would not benefit from fast read speeds and so on.
What he says. :)
My system has an SSD system drive & a larger SATA drive for data.

I redirect all program installers to the SATA drive (I don't differentiate between old & new applications).
The 'Users' areas are also relocated to the SATA drive.

The space on the SSD drive is left to the System Files, (e.g. Windows files, and system temp directories & other applications that are built in to isntall to C:)

Milanista99 #7 Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29244 battles
Thank you guys! I will consider that SSD :)
One more question: when I checked the GTX 760 there were more manufacturers and variations, which should I choose? ( EVGA, ASUS, GIGABYTE, price is from 227-300 and even one 4GB for 320 Euros )
And the other parts are clear. Now just need to gather some money for it :D

Edited by Milanista99, 05 December 2013 - 08:00 AM.

Also tagged with computer, configuration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users