Leopard 2 elevating gun after shots

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Cepheid1 #1 Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21353 battles

Hey guys, I have a question for our real life tankers or tankomaniacs. Watching a fev Youtube videos about tanks I noticed that Leo2A? tanks elevate the gun after every single shot.

I find that a little odd, rising the hot gun barrel in the sky for every IR camera to see. I assume that there must be a logical explanation for it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

BTW, merry christmas to all who do celebrate christmas (unlike me).

_Dunc_ #2 Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38242 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It's a bit of a convoluted reason, so grab a cuppa and I'll explain.

In the gun mechanism there is a sophicated cooling system. This cooling system is, effectively, the same principle as a car's engine - the enormous heat generated by the shot needs to transferred from gun to atmosphere to prevent all sorts of undesirable things happening, not least of which is the new charge detonating as it is inserted into the chamber. The turret is too small to house a breech with enormous cooling fins, and even if it was, discharging heat into the turret isn't helpful for crew comfort.

Whilst the cooling system works on the same basic idea of heat transfer as an engine, it was found that no liquid had the necessary specific heat transfer rate (the ability for any given surface to absorb heat from another surface) was too low to adequately cool the gun in combat conditions. Therefore, a new solution had to be found.

What used to be called DERA chanced upon the perfect solution in the late 50s whilst looking for ways of cooling the Centurion's 105mm. In laymans terms, they found that by coating hamsters in asbestos and having them scuttle round in the cooling system provided the required cooling capacity. Called SHCS (scorched hamster cooling system). The SHCS extends halfway up the barrel in a jacket, as far as the muzzle brake.

Some of the kinetic energy of the shot is transferred to the hamsters, and they end up wedged up by the muzzle brake. Thus, after firing, the gun is elevated to roll the hamsters back down to the breech end of the system. Failure to do this procedure would mean that after five or six rounds all the hamsters would end up squished into each other by the muzzle brake. This would limit the muzzle brake effectiveness and transfer all the recoil forces to the gun mount.

Cepheid1 #3 Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21353 battles

Excellent explanation thanks duncham, just one question. I tried to find out what hamsters you are reffering to as I dont suppose they use schorched rodents. Poor animals :veryhappy:

I die not have seen other Tanks do that, neither M1s nor T-90s. How do they solve these problems?

Edited by Cepheid1, 24 December 2013 - 10:13 PM.

_Dunc_ #4 Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38242 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Well, they are top secret, so I doubt you'll find anything on the net about them.

Cepheid1 #5 Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21353 battles

Could you at least explain what hamster means? i am not familiar with that term. Only hamster I know is the animal namec hamster...

Edited by Cepheid1, 24 December 2013 - 10:20 PM.

_Dunc_ #6 Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38242 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Hamster ees hamster. Small furry rodent originating in north Africa.

They have terrific heat transfer capacity. The asbestos coating is to stop all their fur being singed off, as that would be cruel.

Cepheid1 #7 Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21353 battles
Haha nice troll...

Sekundenkleber #8 Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 52475 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Gun is elevated and hold in place so the loader can simply load the next shell.... DERP

But solid trolling duncham, and lol @ OP for taking it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users