Amx 13 90, how to love it?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

Exostar #1 Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11351 battles

I recently got this tank after I spent a lot of time on the WZ-132  however I'm hating this tank have about 20 battles and not survived once.

I know I'm crap while stock until I'm elited but I can just feel that I'm not going to enjoy it even if its elited.. The tank just feels so weak and useless compared to the WZ-132. The WZ-132 has a good regular gun while the 13 90 has a weaker autoloader. Also the 13 90 has a terrible habit of modal and crew damage far worse than the WZ-132 ever had.

I tend to drive them like medium tanks, scout until I detect the enemy then try to flank them and take pot shots into side and rear. Retreat behind cover and engage again when reloaded.

So should I give up on this tank and leave it to rot in the garage?

GhostHost #2 Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18730 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Well, least research all the modules and get decent crew in it. Maybe it won't be that terrible after all? Though I also found myself dissapointed about its performance, but I still keep it for team battles and what not. 

Exostar #3 Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11351 battles

View PostGhostHost, on 06 January 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Well, least research all the modules and get decent crew in it. Maybe it won't be that terrible after all? Though I also found myself dissapointed about its performance, but I still keep it for team battles and what not. 

I have a crew at 97% and have 100% camo skill trained

Also I only do random battles and don't do team or clan battles.

Syllom #4 Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39023 battles
  • [1PKS] 1PKS

View PostExostar, on 06 January 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I tend to drive them like medium tanks, scout until I detect the enemy then try to flank them and take pot shots into side and rear.

That's your main issue,13 90 isnt a medium and you just ignoring the benefits of a light tank completely.Sure it can play in city maps as a pseudo medium but in the others u should play it like a scout,as it is meant to be played,The matchmaking,hit points,the long reload and the horrific aim time don't leave you many choices when you trying to play it like a medium.About the module/crew damage,probably cause you are trying to play it wrong you are getting shot early and of course a light tank will be gutted like any other.The later you will get shotted the better for you but that needs you to apply scout tactics and not medium ones.

Edited by Syllom, 06 January 2014 - 02:59 PM.

MikeAlexanderson #5 Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51 battles
1390 is a "little Bat.Chat 25t" in 7/42 format battles.
So if you can't find a way how to love this machine - go to 7x7 team battle on it, and your eyes will open! :)

Edited by MikeAlexanderson, 12 January 2014 - 05:18 PM.

KuraAccipter #6 Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6299 battles

Keep yourself out of harms way spotting somewhere until clear zones of battle have been established. Then when no one is looking zoom around assassinating lower health tanks.

13 90 stronk

johncl #7 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53558 battles

I love my 1390 ....You need it fully upgraded and loaded with equipment Vents GLD optics is my loadout .. 

Then a good crew 6th sence cammo for the 1st 2nd BIA then i go for clutch breaking recon smooth ride etc ,,

Its really nice now , 

Edited by johncl, 12 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

azakow #8 Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80530 battles

View PostExostar, on 06 January 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have a crew at 97% and have 100% camo skill trained

Also I only do random battles and don't do team or clan battles.

Devide your batllefield apearance in different stages. Passive spotting to beginn with, then watch out for weak flanks and support there, at the end act like a tank killer.

Be patient at all times!

Survive as long as possible!

Always plan an escape route before you fight.

Make sure you have enough recon before you fight.

Learn the maps. (This may sound strange, but different vehicle classes require different actions on any map.)

Do not snipe at ranges of 200m+, rather reduce distance as much as possible shot 2x and leave (driveby shooting).

Use the correct modules and consumeable setup.

Use events to train your crew intensively.

Watch others play.

Edited by azakow, 14 January 2014 - 11:22 AM.

radius77 #9 Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 57509 battles

Actually IMHO the tactics for light/meds is pretty simple. Don't get carried away in the first minutes doing suicide scouting. When you have a general idea what is the ballance in different points of map just explore empty routes, break enemy line, kill arty (if any) and hunt for isolated, wounded tanks.

OFC in certain maps and game mode (assault) 1390 has to play more aggresive from the beggining but in general your importance grows with every minute you survive.

Gvozdika #10 Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38164 battles

It is also worth using the AMX 13 90 as a dedicated 'scout-killer' - something I nearly always do whenever taking the AMX out for a spin. Since most of the time the opposing side will have a scout or scouts of their own - you can hang around the most likely routes enemy scouts tend to take and be ready. (Some maps and teams vary widely - but scout drivers only have so many options). Sometimes simply spotting the enemy lights far enough out will enable your team to tag them - other times an enemy scout may get through the line.

Keep your eye on the minimap and the moment you see enemy lights that possibly heading towards your cap or arty - zoom in and tackle them. In high-tier games if there are a lot of scouts - you can have quite a job on your hands if they decide to come at once from different directions! The key is that you have enough firepower to kill any light tank in a short space of time - although if chasing down an enemy scout it's best to fire on the move only at close ranges. (less than 100m).

An argument could be made that if driving a light you should scout every minute of every game but I think that if you deprive the red team of their scouting capabilities - you are ultimately aiding your team. Another advantage is that once their scouts are out of the way - it clears the way for you doing some spotting of your own.

If you are thrown into a city map where scouting/counter-scouting is not so much of any option it's worth waiting for a minute or two - perhaps longer - for a gap in enemy line. The 13 90 is the kind of tank that is designed for exploiting holes, getting onto the enemy flanks; causing 30 seconds of mayhem; then scarpering to reload. I do find that certain city maps like Ensk are better for the AMX than ones like Himmelsdorf.

Hope that makes sense.

Syllom #11 Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39023 battles
  • [1PKS] 1PKS

View Postazakow, on 14 January 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Learn the maps. (This may sound strange, but different vehicle classes require different actions on any map.)

The most important thing playing a light,imo it's more important in a light than any other type of tank.But needs lots of games and lot of determination,people like the post starter will cba most likely:P

lases #12 Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16648 battles
  • [PATHS] PATHS

View PostExostar, on 06 January 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I recently got this tank after I spent a lot of time on the WZ-132  however I'm hating this tank have about 20 battles and not survived once.

I know I'm crap while stock until I'm elited but I can just feel that I'm not going to enjoy it even if its elited.. The tank just feels so weak and useless compared to the WZ-132. The WZ-132 has a good regular gun while the 13 90 has a weaker autoloader. Also the 13 90 has a terrible habit of modal and crew damage far worse than the WZ-132 ever had.

I tend to drive them like medium tanks, scout until I detect the enemy then try to flank them and take pot shots into side and rear. Retreat behind cover and engage again when reloaded.

So should I give up on this tank and leave it to rot in the garage?

13 90 is a beast mate wait until u get use to it. then come again and u will see u think difrent. great camo and i mean great camo . and when i see a wz in my 13 90 i know is pay day 9 out of 10 times i will probably kill him before he shot me twice :) 

Alien_Eel #13 Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11853 battles

I have some how huge problems with this tank. Only way I can use this even on reasonable level is when I platoon with other AMX 13 90. And then that tank works only because we drive only something like 2v1 situations, and two drum loaders might even kill enemy. But on when alone, this tank is pure garbage. This is too slow to get any spot bushes, so passive scouting is not an option. Active, with this MM and speed, hell no. I'm killed three times before my team has even shot once... I do have this tank in max configuration, and my crew is 100% (commander has 100% repairs and 6th sense on half way, gunner has 100% repairs and snap shot at 47%, driver has off-road at 100% and repairs at 51%), no equipment (I don't use it on regular tanks anyways) and my WR with this tank is 45%. But I don't like playing with this at all. I like drum, but it is simply awful. It has ridiculous reload, this can be killed easy before it has even loaded... And time between shots, simply too much. 75mm might be better on those, but with no pen... Accuracy on move, I have shot so many misses from close range that this must be nonexistent. 

So how I'm supposed to play with tank that is way too slow to scout (even passive scouting), zero accuracy so sniping is not option, and is too slow to flank at early levels of game? Later this might be capable of flanking, but later your team is killed because you couldn't do a crapfor them, only drive circles at base... 

And last thing, depression is awful. Even smallest bump and your shot is killing birds...

Syllom #14 Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39023 battles
  • [1PKS] 1PKS

I'm sorry but you are playing it wrong,literally.Slow tank?This and the wz 132 are the only high tier scouts and you concluded that is slow?Name something way faster than those 2 at the 9-12 MM they are joining.Repairs on crew?What for?You are facing guns with an average 500 alpha at least which means almost half your health pool.I would suggest you to quit this line and try the heavy one,it would be a lot better for you,if you won't you will be getting so disappointed in any game you join and worse are upon you until the bc.Anyway this tank is out so long now that there are so many guides out there if you want to improve your perfomance.Read some replies above  they will help you as well.

Exostar #15 Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11351 battles

Ok time for an update

I've elited the tank and its actually kind of fun.

I think I like it a bit more than the wz-132 actually. In the wz-132 you spend most of your time acting like a medium tank but with the amx 13 90 you really feel like a light tank and with the autoloader you can things quickly when you flank them which you can't do in the wz-132.

azakow #16 Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80530 battles

I think many players really love this vehicle and command it with passion.

A Love Sample

Syllom #17 Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39023 battles
  • [1PKS] 1PKS
Are you getting considerably less module/crew dmg with the prem consumables?Im using this set up on my bc but im so afraid not to use them in the 1390 cause the modules are even more packed close to each other.

Raool309 #18 Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6060 battles

I see that everyone is using optics and not binocs.

Any particular reason for that?

azakow #19 Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 80530 battles

View PostRaool309, on 21 January 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

I see that everyone is using optics and not binocs.

Any particular reason for that?

In case you have few crew skills, it is best to perform more "stationary" gameplay, hence binos.

Later in your AMX 13 90 career you will be moving more than 2/3 of the match, hence optics.

MetalManiac69 #20 Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23425 battles
another very useful way of helping your team is flanking when you see a friendly heavy engaged in 1on1 with another heavy. if it's safe for you to get out of cover, quickly get behind his arse and empty your clip. your friendlies will appreciate your help every time...

Edited by MetalManiac69, 23 January 2014 - 03:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users