Captain

• Player
  • 14740 battles
1390 is truly a wonder tank.

fras23 #43 Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5836 battles

I really struggled in this tank in the beginning, I was trying to play it like the 13 75 and 12t with camo net and bino + standard ammo, but once I started playing more like a fast medium i've had a lot more success.

Running vents, gld and bino plus full gold and my stats/win rate are really turning around (and it's now fun which is the main thing). Yes it's expensive but I dont think 248 pen on a tank that see's tier 10 most of the time is particularly unfair... I just got sick of bouncing off the side of tanks with standard ammo.

Edited by fras23, 25 February 2014 - 11:13 AM.

Sobx #44 Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8505 battles
Got to the amx 1390 and it's a really good tank, but there's one thing I'm wondering: is it really worth it to research the 4th engine? Please keep in mind I don't expect the answer like "OF COURSE, IT'S BETTER THEN THE 3rd ONE!". Can you really feel the difference between 3rd and 4th engines? Because if the difference is really marginal, I'd rather keep that 12k xp to get to the next tier faster (because the 2 tanks I plan to keep from this line are ELC and Batchat) than using it for the engine that's usable only in one tank... Opinions please? :p

affie #45 Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19480 battles

Yes you can feel the difference in the 3rd and 4th engine, mostly in acceleration and the tank being more nimble when turning, this is important in a tank that lives on its agility rather than its armor, it is a keeper and I like it more than its big brother Lorraine. Specially when the grind for Lorraine is 198.000 experience, almost as much as the 200.000 needed for Batchat the 12.000 experience for the engine will help you get faster to scouting position and circling tanks/avoiding shells.

azakow #46 Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79357 battles

View Postaffie, on 27 February 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Yes you can feel the difference in the 3rd and 4th engine, mostly in acceleration and the tank being more nimble when turning, this is important in a tank that lives on its agility rather than its armor, it is a keeper and I like it more than its big brother Lorraine. Specially when the grind for Lorraine is 198.000 experience, almost as much as the 200.000 needed for Batchat the 12.000 experience for the engine will help you get faster to scouting position and circling tanks/avoiding shells.

This!

View PostSobx, on 26 February 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

Got to the amx 1390 and it's a really good tank, but there's one thing I'm wondering: is it really worth it to research the 4th engine? Please keep in mind I don't expect the answer like "OF COURSE, IT'S BETTER THEN THE 3rd ONE!". Can you really feel the difference between 3rd and 4th engines? Because if the difference is really marginal, I'd rather keep that 12k xp to get to the next tier faster (because the 2 tanks I plan to keep from this line are ELC and Batchat) than using it for the engine that's usable only in one tank... Opinions please? :p

Increasing nimbleness is the key to sucess on this vehicle.

Hence the skill training of the driver must support this as well, i.e. Off-Road.

More info on crew training here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/120301-amx-13-90-crew-skills-post-74/

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/143182-what-skillsperks-do-you-use-on-the-amx-1390/

Old topics indeed, but not outdated.

Spoiler

Edited by azakow, 28 February 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Slyspy #47 Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14464 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
God knows I'm not an expert on the AMX13/90  (I now restrict it to Team Battles in which it really does shine) but I too question the usefulness of a Spall Liner on a high tier light. Given that it only offers protection against splash damage and that just about every HE shell that hits the tank will penetrate how much protection would you actually gain? Granted arty may have a hard time hitting a speeding AMX but, with poor acceleration and the agility of a barge, it isn't that hard for regular tanks to hit a spotted AMX.

TheR3dBaron #48 Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35973 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

Just got mine today after grinding 30k of XP on the amx 13 75 and taking advantage of 3x crew training to get sixth sense. Only had to play 2 extra matches to get 6th sense which is nice :) So far I've only done two games in it, but I kinda like it. I haven't had any dead crew members or fire, nor did I loose my tracks.

I decided to take the equipment for team battles, as I will mostly play team battles. For this reason I dropped the camo net, and don't see the need for binocs either, so I went for optics, suspension and spall liner. To be honest, I'm still in doubt of getting the GLD as I see the importance of it, which would replace the spall liner. I will have to check how often my crew dies and how often I get set on fire.

The main reason I post here is to know why nobody uses the suspension? Does that thing fly off a cliff without any problems? I guess I want some insurance for my poor driving skills :)

edit: I will probably have to swap camo on the crew for BIA once I have the second skill completed.

Edited by TheR3dBaron, 16 March 2014 - 11:43 PM.

azakow #49 Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79357 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 16 March 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

Just got mine today after grinding 30k of XP on the amx 13 75 and taking advantage of 3x crew training to get sixth sense. Only had to play 2 extra matches to get 6th sense which is nice :) So far I've only done two games in it, but I kinda like it. I haven't had any dead crew members or fire, nor did I loose my tracks.

I decided to take the equipment for team battles, as I will mostly play team battles. For this reason I dropped the camo net, and don't see the need for binocs either, so I went for optics, suspension and spall liner. To be honest, I'm still in doubt of getting the GLD as I see the importance of it, which would replace the spall liner. I will have to check how often my crew dies and how often I get set on fire.

The main reason I post here is to know why nobody uses the suspension? Does that thing fly off a cliff without any problems? I guess I want some insurance for my poor driving skills :)

edit: I will probably have to swap camo on the crew for BIA once I have the second skill completed.

Becasue you need the slot for GLD, simple as that. You get to that conclusion, when your hit rate is about 50%.

Poor driving skill originate at the keyboard, no module can take care of this.

Flying off cliffs is something for action movies, this is not part of successful AMX 13 90 gameplay.

Spall liner, really?!

I asume you have not read some of this topic a all.

Swapping camo for BIA on second skill?!

If you like commanding a flurecent painted brick on tracks, go for it.

You will regret this decission, when your surviaval rate less than 5%.

Edited by azakow, 17 March 2014 - 07:53 AM.

TheR3dBaron #50 Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35973 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

View Postazakow, on 17 March 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

Becasue you need the slot for GLD, simple as that. You get to that conclusion, when your hit rate is about 50%.

Poor driving skill originate at the keyboard, no module can take care of this.

Flying off cliffs is something for action movies, this is not part of successful AMX 13 90 gameplay.

Spall liner, really?!

I asume you have not read some of this topic a all.

Swapping camo for BIA on second skill?!

If you like commanding a flurecent painted brick on tracks, go for it.

You will regret this decission, when your surviaval rate less than 5%.

I have read this topic and I'm asking about 7vs7 matches in particular.

Camo would be swapped for BIA and then I would start training camo again of course. Actually, it would be 6th sense/camo/camo and BIA/BIA/BIA. Then I would train camo again on the commander.

Since it's about team battles and I will get up close and personal, the camo net is less usefull. Even in normal battles one person has said one would be driving 2/3 of the time. I agree flying of cliffs is for movies, but if you try to outrun someone, you can use the terrain to your advantage by driving off something you know would break the other one's suspension. Since you have a longer reload, you can use escape routes which are traps for the enemies. But I agree, you lose dpm. That's why I'm asking. I will try both setups for a while and then decide.

azakow #51 Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79357 battles

View PostTheR3dBaron, on 17 March 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

I have read this topic and I'm asking about 7vs7 matches in particular.

Camo would be swapped for BIA and then I would start training camo again of course. Actually, it would be 6th sense/camo/camo and BIA/BIA/BIA. Then I would train camo again on the commander.

Since it's about team battles and I will get up close and personal, the camo net is less usefull. Even in normal battles one person has said one would be driving 2/3 of the time. I agree flying of cliffs is for movies, but if you try to outrun someone, you can use the terrain to your advantage by driving off something you know would break the other one's suspension. Since you have a longer reload, you can use escape routes which are traps for the enemies. But I agree, you lose dpm. That's why I'm asking. I will try both setups for a while and then decide.

Facts:

1st skill will require 210k XP, which is complete.

2nd skill requires 420k XP, which is equal to about 450 matches at 850 XP per match - a long time with few camo.

It is very challenging to find a good crew training path for this vehicle. The gametype does not matter at all.

The challenge is 3x crew members, 6S skill as nobrainer, the lack of nimbleness, lack of accuracy, the need for camo and view range.

IMO the order of importance is:

1. camo
  2. nimbleness
  3. accuracy
  4. viewrange

I understand your intended gameplay with this vehicle is, close and personal as equal to brawling or short range, less than 50 m.

For the argument, lets ignore the need for camo and view range for such situations since this does not give you and advantage.

What advantage does 6S give you in such situations? I'd say nothing aswell. ...

A possible conclusion would be Snap Shot and Smooth Ride, to make you place your shoots on target.

So we should be looking at a fighters crew training setup for your AMX 13 90.

Such gameplay will require nimbleness.

Skills like Off-Road and Clutch Braking will improve this, but these are not on your training path at current.

Such skills would also be usefull at the 2/3 driving you mentioned.

IMO, it is extremly difficult to be a successful fighter before you have completed 3rd skill training on this vehicle.

You lack camo and will be seen early and conseqently killed before you even get close to your targets to fight them.

Using the terrain as cover from opponent fire will help, but reminds me of wishful thinking.

2x camo are sufficient for most use cases.

This enables you the train Off-Road and Clutch Braking on the driver, as 1st and 2nd skill.

I've retrained to BIA at complete 4th skill.

The increase of nimbleness was noticable and provided a cutting edge on top of Off-Road and Clutch Braking.

TheR3dBaron #52 Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35973 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

Thanks for that. It's true that 6th sense doesn't seem that important, but the AMX gets sent on scouting rounds at the beginning of a match. Although it should spot the others before it gets spotted, it's always nice to know you are running into trouble when there is stationary vehicle with good came and view range.

I totally agree with BIA, off-road driving and clutch braking. I have this on my patton and it makes a huge difference on heavy tanks as well. BIA usually only makes sense as of the third skill, since there are more important ones. On my patton I even risk to go out with  a crat of cola, which adds 10% to all skills and perks, whereas BIA only gives a bonus to the primary skills.

Fordox #53 Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13969 battles

Lol... people with a spalliner on a 13 90... [edited]:P

50% increase of nothing is still nothing ;) Only use those things on heavely armored, slow moving vehicles.

azakow #54 Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79357 battles
A recent love sample, featureing nimbleness with obstacles. http://wotreplays.com/site/692557#redshire-azakow-amx_13_90

Edited by azakow, 20 March 2014 - 09:58 AM.

_2click_AG #55 Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

_2click_AG #56 Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

7049 #57 Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 155 battles

View PostExostar, on 06 January 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

I recently got this tank after I spent a lot of time on the WZ-132  however I'm hating this tank have about 20 battles and not survived once.

I know I'm crap while stock until I'm elited but I can just feel that I'm not going to enjoy it even if its elited.. The tank just feels so weak and useless compared to the WZ-132. The WZ-132 has a good regular gun while the 13 90 has a weaker autoloader. Also the 13 90 has a terrible habit of modal and crew damage far worse than the WZ-132 ever had.

I tend to drive them like medium tanks, scout until I detect the enemy then try to flank them and take pot shots into side and rear. Retreat behind cover and engage again when reloaded.

So should I give up on this tank and leave it to rot in the garage?

Well the WZ -series are better tanks then the French tanks so you better get used to that now.

This is how I have my 13 90:

I like the 13 90 but I am not sure if I use the correct crew skills and equipment. Right now I have:

Coated Optics

Vents

Gun laying Drive

My crew skills are:

Commander: 6th sense, BIA, Recon 78%

Gunner: Snap Shot, BIA, Camo 78%

Driver: Off-road driving, BIA, Smooth ride 78%

However someone more skilled then I said:

The equipment setup is spot-on. I wouldn't change anything there.

Before I moved the crew to the FCM 50t (for training and credit-making purposes), my AMX 13 90 crew setup was like this:

Commander: 6th sense, Camo, Situational Awareness 90%

Gunner: Camo, Snap Shot, Repair 90%

Driver: Camo, Smooth Ride, Clutch Breaking 90%

With BiA meant to replace the 3rd skill set once it reached 100%.

For the crew skills, you *need* 100% camo, even if it means giving up the benefits of BiA for the moment. Snap Shot and Smooth Ride are also very important for minimizing your horrible aim time and circle-strafing enemies and I'd place them as the second skills. Clutch Breaking is great for easier maneuvering since the 13 90 has a rather poor hull traverse for its speed. And Situational Awareness gives a bigger view range boost than Recon.

TreadMills #58 Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23676 battles

Dude, the best gun for AMX 13 90 is epic. Get it as soon as possible. 

Gotta brag a bit, I'm still pumped up. Finally was able to buy AMX 13 90 just now. First couple of games with the stock gun were meh. Felt like playing with the 13 75 (well, same gun, so obviously). Then I decided to free exp the best gun and I'm telling you that thing is a beast... I was penetrating everything I saw, killed heavies I had to avoid in 13 75 by just circling them and even sniped successfully. Almost got Top Gun as well. I never got the Ace for 13 75 but for this tank it came with my third game... :D

Attached Files

• Attached File   Amx_1390_Ace.jpg   486.78K

azakow #59 Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79357 battles

The recent crew training events made me take the AMX 13 90 more often, in order to push skills into the 6th trainig level.

Hence again a recent love sample. It was towards the end that I began to noticed the score.

Q77 #60 Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12072 battles

I dusted my 13 90 off yesterday (after pretty much a year) and played a few games, had some good games and then the last one;

Victory!
Battle: Lakeville
Vehicle: AMX 13 90
Experience received: 4.461 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 71.464
Battle achievements: Patrol Duty, Scout, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

The thing is, I use it as a scout, especially in T10 games (what else can you do really, maybe arty hunting), however I dont really use it as a passive scout much. I have coated optics on it and not bino's and it works wonders for me. So I move from spot to spot from the start, drive by's, lighting everyone up and then I pull back and sit behind a bush to make the camonet work. That game above I had 7200 spotting damage and still did 2k damage on my own as well.

I forgot how fun this tank was really.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users