Trolling - Overused

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Grand_Moff_Tano #1 Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1532 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

I think the word trolling is extremely overused on the forums, as people tend to accuse people of trolling without looking up the actual meaning of the word itself and then unfairly label users as trolls, so here is the definition of what a troll is according to the Oxford Dictionary website:

verb

make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them

noun
a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting

So before you do in anyway accuse someone of trolling, look up the meaning first before using the word itself, otherwise it has no meaning, which means that it's pretty much empty.

Edited by Pichu_Trainer, 07 January 2014 - 02:00 AM.

Fantabulousness #2 Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles
Sadly, "troll" is used in a way that can mean anything but "serious" and "ordinary" nowadays, although that's nothing to do with the original meaning. Real trolls like me feel really hurt, because our profession is being dragged through the dirt like that.

Edited by Fantabulousness, 07 January 2014 - 02:05 AM.

Norrin_Radd #3 Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

Nice troll Pichu, well either that or there is something wrong with you. I like most people do not like someone to tell me I'm stupid and don't understand my own language so you put this here because either you are trolling or you are ignorant. 

Not noticed people using the word troll out of place but I suppose it happens, next time just call the 3 Billy Goats Gruff.

Grand_Moff_Tano #4 Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1532 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 07 January 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

Nice troll Pichu, well either that or there is something wrong with you. I like most people do not like someone to tell me I'm stupid and don't understand my own language so you put this here because either you are trolling or you are ignorant. 

Not noticed people using the word troll out of place but I suppose it happens, next time just call the 3 Billy Goats Gruff.

OK, next time I do see 3 billy goats I call 'em all Gruff.

Also I'm not trolling and I was pointing out an overused word and it's meaning, in no way is that trolling unless your offended by the dictionary of course. Also talking of ignorance, your post appears to be full of it.

Edited by Pichu_Trainer, 07 January 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Fantabulousness #5 Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 07 January 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

You know, "trolling" is a word of the language "Internet" not "English", so unless you were born in the Internet, it's not "your own language". Go ask some native English speakers in public. I'm quite sure a lot of people older than 30 don't know the meaning of the word "troll".

Norrin_Radd #6 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

View PostFantabulousness, on 07 January 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

You know, "trolling" is a word of the language "Internet" not "English", so unless you were born in the Internet, it's not "your own language". Go ask some native English speakers in public. I'm quite sure a lot of people older than 30 don't know the meaning of the word "troll".

I don't speak the imaginary language "internet" and have no idea what country it is used in, any word that becomes used in English is added to our dictionary, that doesn't mean that other countries can't use the same word but it does mean that it is an officially recognised English word. I am a fair bit older than 30 so your wrong on both of your statements. Anything else you want to try and correct me on?

Norrin_Radd #7 Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

View PostPichu_Trainer, on 07 January 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

OK, next time I do see 3 billy goats I call 'em all Gruff.

Also I'm not trolling and I was pointing out an overused word and it's meaning, in no way is that trolling unless your offended by the dictionary of course. Also talking of ignorance, your post appears to be full of it.

I was trying to make a bit, but obviously  subtlety is wasted here and there is no need to start insulting people because you have no sense of humour.

Grand_Moff_Tano #8 Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1532 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 07 January 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

I was trying to make a bit, but obviously  subtlety is wasted here and there is no need to start insulting people because you have no sense of humour.

I'm sorry, maybe you didn't you get the sarcasm of the first sentence, also I did not in any way during my post insult anyone, infact, the entire reply contained sarcasm in several areas.

Fantabulousness #9 Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 07 January 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

I don't speak the imaginary language "internet" and have no idea what country it is used in, any word that becomes used in English is added to our dictionary, that doesn't mean that other countries can't use the same word but it does mean that it is an officially recognised English word. I am a fair bit older than 30 so your wrong on both of your statements. Anything else you want to try and correct me on?

Is English your native language? You don't seem to understand it.

I clearly said "a lot of people" not "everyone".

I clearly said "in public" not "on the web".

What I was trying to say by calling the language "Internet" is that it is by no means a word every native English speaker knows, because its usage is limited to the Internet. Therefore, you were wrong when you accused the OP of being a troll or ignorant just because you are a native speaker and the OP allegedly questioned your understanding of the English language (which, as you have proven, is worse than you seem to think).

Norrin_Radd #10 Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

View PostFantabulousness, on 07 January 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Is English your native language? You don't seem to understand it.

I clearly said "a lot of people" not "everyone".

I clearly said "in public" not "on the web".

What I was trying to say by calling the language "Internet" is that it is by no means a word every native English speaker knows, because its usage is limited to the Internet. Therefore, you were wrong when you accused the OP of being a troll or ignorant just because you are a native speaker and the OP allegedly questioned your understanding of the English language (which, as you have proven, is worse than you seem to think).

I have no idea what country you are from but here MOST people of all ages use the internet so MOST words that come from it are know to MOST people, and just for you I have included the figures.

So go back to whatever backwards country you come from and try to get an education, because you have absolutely no concept of anything.

Fantabulousness #11 Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles
There's a difference between "using the Internet" and reading all sorts of garbage all over the Internet, playing games, etc. Most people only ever use the web to look things up and check their emails.

Grand_Moff_Tano #12 Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1532 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 07 January 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

I have no idea what country you are from but here MOST people of all ages use the internet so MOST words that come from it are know to MOST people, and just for you I have included the figures.

So go back to whatever backwards country you come from and try to get an education, because you have absolutely no concept of anything.

This is technically trolling as it's designed to be insulting and to get a negative response.

Norrin_Radd #13 Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

View PostFantabulousness, on 07 January 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

There's a difference between "using the Internet" and reading all sorts of garbage all over the Internet, playing games, etc. Most people only ever use the web to look things up and check their emails.

Well that explains why no one uses facebook doesn't it, I can pull made up statistics out of my arse too that doesn't make them right. You know what they say about making assumptions? 

Norrin_Radd #14 Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

View PostPichu_Trainer, on 07 January 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

This is technically trolling as it's designed to be insulting and to get a negative response.

And his insulting me was fine? 

Grand_Moff_Tano #15 Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1532 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 08 January 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

And his insulting me was fine? 

I checked all the points and I don't see anything that qualifies as insulting from Fantabulousness.

Norrin_Radd #16 Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles

OH so implying that my understanding of English is poor is not insulting? 

Not saying more as it would start getting nasty, but you have proven your point about misusing troll. Pity you did it in the worst way possible.

Fantabulousness #17 Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 08 January 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

Well that explains why no one uses facebook doesn't it, I can pull made up statistics out of my arse too that doesn't make them right. You know what they say about making assumptions? 

That's actually included in checking mails. I don't know about you, but I don't see the word "troll" too often and it's mostly used incorrectly.

View PostNorrin_Radd, on 08 January 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

OH so implying that my understanding of English is poor is not insulting? 

Not saying more as it would start getting nasty, but you have proven your point about misusing troll. Pity you did it in the worst way possible.

I came to that conclusion based on your posts. It's not an insult, just an observation.

Edited by Fantabulousness, 08 January 2014 - 03:28 PM.

Yellowpete #18 Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20808 battles
  • [ARNIE] ARNIE

Language shift. Even though the dictionary says something, over time words can change meaning ;). This means that eventually, the dictionary will change it too.

BTW, some people are trolling here too xD.

ermo87 #19 Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26472 battles
  • [ITCH] ITCH

I really doubt you will hear the Word "troll/trolling" used in a sentance if you are pying your bills on the internet, you need to visit certain pages/forums and games to come into Contact with the "internet-based" Words just like "trolling" and other stuff.

The only general observation is that -most people that play games over the internet- has Heard or seen the Word being used at least once. But that don't necessarily mean he knows the meaning of the Word.

Fantabulousness #20 Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View PostYellowpete, on 08 January 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Language shift. Even though the dictionary says something, over time words can change meaning ;). This means that eventually, the dictionary will change it too.

BTW, some people are trolling here too xD.

There are lots of mistakes done by millions of people worldwide, but those things have yet to become official. Know why? Because they are wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users