Garage battles, WG why do you say they can't work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Shireknight #1 Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

Player

• Veteran
  • 13359 battles
  • [TELOS] TELOS
WG why in this video http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/46/Video-asap-16/ do you say garage battles won't work for lower than tier ten tanks? I've now played War Thunder and they already have garage battles in both their plane and tank beta's and it works perfectly fine for all vehicles from tier one upwards so why won't this work in WOT please?

Edited by Shireknight, 07 January 2014 - 03:21 AM.

7thSyndicate #2 Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 41974 battles
What's the point of garage battles here? i dont get it

Homer_J #3 Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

One of the problems they stated was people getting a rubbish team and ragequitting after their first tank (or knowing how some people use XVM, before the first shot is fired).  I don't know how limiting it to tier 10 will change that.  All I can think is that they need to limit it to one tier otherwise the matchmaking becomes too complex so they went for tier 10 because people tend to have multiple tier 10 tanks already.

I do know from the days when I played FPS games that getting steamrolled would lead to most of the team going to find another server.

I don't know how these work with WT but one of the things I like about WoT is that you can rely on battles finishing in at most 15 minutes.  If you have 5 tanks lined up for a garage battle then how long is that going to drag on for?  An hour?  More?

Belnick666 #4 Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11609 battles
  • [-SWE-] -SWE-

View PostHomer_J, on 07 January 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

One of the problems they stated was people getting a rubbish team and ragequitting after their first tank (or knowing how some people use XVM, before the first shot is fired).  I don't know how limiting it to tier 10 will change that.  All I can think is that they need to limit it to one tier otherwise the matchmaking becomes too complex so they went for tier 10 because people tend to have multiple tier 10 tanks already.

I do know from the days when I played FPS games that getting steamrolled would lead to most of the team going to find another server.

I don't know how these work with WT but one of the things I like about WoT is that you can rely on battles finishing in at most 15 minutes.  If you have 5 tanks lined up for a garage battle then how long is that going to drag on for?  An hour?  More?

5?
I thought WG said 3 tanks in garage battles before?

VeryRisky #5 Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

General

• Player
  • 17207 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
How is it supposed to work?  Won't you get the suicide-scout-xp-grinders just driving across the fieldseveral times in a row rather than just once per game.

Norrin_Radd #6 Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34120 battles
I wouldn't want to play this mode unless you could select teams as it will be horrible with all the random morons about. Tier 4 would be better as funnily I see less complete morons at T4 than any other.....or maybe it's just cos the games are quick so less annoying when you do get them.

Merdis #7 Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26478 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 07 January 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

In War Thunder in Arcade Mode (the only with "garage" battles) many people leave after first or second destroyed plane or when their team is at disadvantage quite often. It is a quite serious problem there.

lonigus #8 Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32631 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 07 January 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

View PostVeryRisky, on 07 January 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

How is it supposed to work?  Won't you get the suicide-scout-xp-grinders just driving across the fieldseveral times in a row rather than just once per game.

Both are valid points tbh.

I think the garage battles cant work with anything lower then T9/10. Simply bcoz some ppl might pick only T10 tanks and some others might have 4x T8 and one T9. I wouldnt call that fair imo.

Regarding the fast rushing yolo swag ppl u cant do much anyway. Such garage battles might tho loosen the campy behavior that is lately more then ever getting common in randoms. One tank, one chance.... You die, you are done. With more tanks in the lineup the game pace might get faster and less campy, but I cant really see this work at all with more then 3 tanks.

There is alot of factors to handle for WG which make it very hard to implement. Is it the respawn mechanic or the MM balancing.

Edit: as Merdis pointed out WT has exactly that problem. Some ppl have like 7 planes in the lineup while some have crappy 3 planes. Some are on their last plane while others still have 5 more planes in the reserve. Combined with XVM and how WoT is balanced even one missing person in the high tiers is noticable and puts the other 14ppl in an disadvantage before the first shot was even fired.

Edited by lonigus, 07 January 2014 - 09:32 AM.

born2ndjune #9 Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12785 battles
  • [RIGA] RIGA
Probably even worse idea then those two extra game modes they already made-have no clue what theyr called but barely anyone plays them.Matchmaking allready is pita,imagine garage battles when thers so many variables of players setups...unplaybale,never liked idea of wot dm and will never understand how anyone would like those garage battles.

AmikaeTomato #10 Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 500 battles

I can already imagine the red tears flowing. One team will almost always farm the other.

They need to make skill MM for this mode to be playable. And that's not happening, thankfully.

thewolfpack #11 Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50561 battles
  • [LEOHQ] LEOHQ

In War Thun...... I leave the battle if:

- My team is in a serious disadvantave.

- My fav. plane is shot down.

- My planes doesn't fit the map.

In fact, in War Thunder I only STAY if its going fine.

And you would be a fool to stay in a lost battle:

- Higher rep costs.

- Feeds points to the enemy that only costs you.

- Time wasted.

Edited by thewolfpack, 07 January 2014 - 03:24 PM.

TinyViking #12 Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7075 battles
If you want to discuss another game please do so on the Off-Topic forum. Let me help you by moving this thread.

Homer_J #13 Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostiScending, on 07 January 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

If you want to discuss another game please do so on the Off-Topic forum. Let me help you by moving this thread.

I think we are discussing how garage battles might work in WoT in the total absence of any official information all we can do is look at how they work in other games and take it from there.

I could create a WT account, grind up some decent planes, and test it out for myself.  Or I could ask people who have done that already.

Many thanks to those who have commented on how it works in WT.  And done so without resorting to how one game might or might not be better than the other.

Shireknight #14 Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Player

• Veteran
  • 13359 battles
  • [TELOS] TELOS

Yes thank you all for the mature conversation and the interesting points raised, I can't say I've noticed people in War Thunder quitting garage battles after losing their first plane but then I'm still very new to the game and haven't got to know it properly yet.

Personally I don't think people will rage quit WOT because people will have picked to play this game mode by their own free choice and will know exactly what to expect, however even if it did turn out that this became a widespread problem then you could just make this game mode tier specific so all the tier four vehicles play in the same battle, tier eight vehicles play in the same battle etc -with the huge range of vehicles we have nowdays variety in the battles is not going to be a problem.

Edited by Shireknight, 08 January 2014 - 09:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users