Gaijin vs Wargaming ; War thunder (ground forces) vs World of tanks

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

vlad_grigorie #1 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13375 battles

POPULAR

Firstly , i know War thunder ground forces is still in closed beta but if you have watched guys like eNtaK , Jingles or Quickybaby on Youtube , you have formed an impression about the game itself .

Which do you think is better ? Why ?

Will you give up World of tanks and start playing War thunder when it is released ? Maybe you will play both ?

My opinion :

I think War Thunder ground forces is way better for the following reasons : 

- NO gold ammo

- NO sky pigs ( arty players ;) ) - there is arty in the game , but just as a help for some light and medium tanks and it is very inaccurate in RB and it takes a much longer time for the shoot to arrive . It is usefull only against campers .

- The game is much more realistic : no health bars , the tank models look amazing and so on 

- And the game is running on a way better engine . In world of tanks if I would want to listed a song with Youtube while playing , my ping would go wild . In war thunder I can do that and leave other 3-4 internet tabs open simultaneously and the frames are somewhere around 60 .

What are your opinions about these 2 game ?

Hope the moderators will not close and arhive this topic within 2 minutes ...

Edited by vlad_grigorie, 12 January 2014 - 06:36 PM.

TinyViking #2 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7075 battles
I don't mind you discussion other games but not on the General forum. Moving to off-topic.

Tomu999 #3 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9607 battles

The biggest pull for me is the lack of life bars. No more alpha damage, just penetration, which makes things so much more realistic. Also, the way that they have avoided fantasy tanks is great. :)  Really pumped for this, although it could still let us down. Have to wait and see.  

_Antipathy #4 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 651 battles
Both players are terriboul.

CuP1D #5 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14418 battles

I am in the CBT - the 2 game are different enough to maintain a high level of interest in both.

Different ammunition can be researched and equiped - it is just implemented differently - perhaps you have not picked up on that one yet. Anyway - you no longer need gold to purchase it, so why still the 'gold ammo'?

Artillery in WoT - well, the moaners got what they wanted - but some players still complain - go figure.....

Realism - a matter of taste - hence why i have said that the 2 games are different enough to warrant interest in both, playing the game that suits you at any given time.

Game engine - well WG do need to sort that one, and they are (as I understand it) in upcoming patches. 

Both games will reflect personal taste, giving us the 'punters' choice and flexibility = excellent!

ObitOn #6 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6049 battles
  • [KRN] KRN

In wot a good scout or arty player can acctualy take down arty.

In Warthunder its impossible to shoot down a bomber that is 5 KM above you, so i doubt that is a legit excuse

vlad_grigorie #7 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13375 battles

View PostCuP1D, on 12 January 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Different ammunition can be researched and equiped - it is just implemented differently - perhaps you have not picked up on that one yet. Anyway - you no longer need gold to purchase it, so why still the 'gold ammo'?

Artillery in WoT - well, the moaners got what they wanted - but some players still complain - go figure.....

Yeah , there are different ammunition that can be researched but there is not the Wot model : like most of the ammo types for a random gun are around 100 mm of penetration at 50 m. and one of them ( the gold ammo ) is something like (BAM) : 200 mm . :justwait:

And its called gold ammo because .... well i don't know ...

And about the arty pigs, when you are hit by an arty, even if it happends rarely, you still fell cheated . And it is a bad thing to drive your tank fearing that anytime a sky pig is aiming at you and can 1 shoot you ...:ohmy: 

Edited by vlad_grigorie, 12 January 2014 - 06:49 PM.

vlad_grigorie #8 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13375 battles

View PostObitOn, on 12 January 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

In wot a good scout or arty player can acctualy take down arty.

In Warthunder its impossible to shoot down a bomber that is 5 KM above you, so i doubt that is a legit excuse

You can spend a lot of time to climb up to him . It is not impossible ... just boring . 

Srry for double posting .

Edited by vlad_grigorie, 12 January 2014 - 06:52 PM.

Merdis #9 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26491 battles

I will try Ground Forces for sure. I am looking forward to participation in Closed Beta (I have done lot of daily CB tasks so I may get lucky).

But there are severe disadvantages of WT, for example lack of Clan Wars (or any other team based modes). In WoT this mode (CW) is brilliant and keeps me addicted to game. So I definitely won't abandon WoT.  It is said that someday there will be similar "World War" mode in Warthunder, maybe even this year. 

And there is another thing, so called patch 1.37 in aerial part of War Thunder. Which made game full of terrible grind for f2p players (and I am serious, it is far worse than f2p in WoT) and brought a slightly broken MM (in comparison to 1.35). To be honest, I do not like direction in which War Thunder has been changing during last few patches. Which made me afraid somehow about future of Ground Forces. 

But according to videos or information which I got from testers after partial lift of NDA WT:GF and WoT are much different. So I hope that I will enjoy both, but in different manner.

Edited by Merdis, 12 January 2014 - 07:56 PM.

Srle_Vigilante #10 Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19823 battles
Actually you are wrong mate! There is Apcr in WT but they are not op as in this game!

BravelyRanAway #11 Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22462 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
In WT whats the maximum amount of tanks that a premium account player can take into battle compared to a standard account player?

Pawczi #12 Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21264 battles
  • [1SAR] 1SAR
I'm looking forward to War thunder ground forces, I'm not gonna drop wot just yet but definitely will play both of them see which one will come up on top.I hope WG will get they act together and sort burning issues like game engine and stop messing around with tanks all the time.At the end that might be main reason if I'm still gonna buy gold from WG or I switch to Gaijin.

Brachiaraidos #13 Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13612 battles

View PostSrle_Vigilante, on 12 January 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Actually you are wrong mate! There is Apcr in WT but they are not op as in this game!

Well, yes and no. WT has no 'premium' ammunitions that cost more and are straight up better in every way, like APCR or HEAT in WoT.

There are APCR and HEAT shells, but they function realistically, not like fantasy wonderkind shells WoT likes to pretend they are. You need to choose your ammunition for the scenario, not just slap premium shells in when something too big comes along for a roll down easy street

Edited by Brachiaraidos, 12 January 2014 - 07:23 PM.

elinor_EU #14 Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18948 battles
  • [CLAR] CLAR
Seems that WoT has lost the competition!

Merdis #15 Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26491 battles

View PostLeadbucket, on 12 January 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

In WT whats the maximum amount of tanks that a premium account player can take into battle compared to a standard account player?

I can say only about aerial part, ground one will be probably similar.
There is a crew slot system. At the beginning new player get 3 crews, so he can fly with 3 planes in one arcade battle. With in-game credits you can buy 4th and 5th. Then you can buy another 4 slots with GE (gold). In fact, with Golden Eagles you can buy also so-called "backup planes" which enable you to fly specific plane twice per battle  (after using it disappears and you have to buy it again). So in Arcade Mode f2p player can fly out 5 times, "full" premium player up to 18. But to be honest 5 planes are perfectly sufficient for most players. 

Premium account has no effect  on amount of planes one can take into battle. 

In HB (called now Realistic mode) and Simulator Mode every player can take only one plane per battle, no matter whether he is a premium player or not. but Arcade Mode is far more popular

@Frylord:

Block Quote

Gaijin actually communicates and works with feedback given by it's customers and fans, unlike Wargaming.

You must be kidding me, or haven't visited WT forums since 1.37 was introduced. There was big amount of feedback since DEV server was open, and Gaijin mostly ignored it - devs just fixed the most critical and controversial issues.  People were negative about new progression system and so on. In fact, most people do not like patch even now (more grind, less value of GE, yer base rush, worse MM etc). So what is Gaijin reaction? Moderation is more active in quickly locking/hiding threads about problems introduced in 1.37. 

Edit: I can't remember how to obtain 10th crew slot and whether GE are needed for it. But it is possible.

Edited by Merdis, 12 January 2014 - 08:11 PM.

BravelyRanAway #16 Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22462 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostMerdis, on 12 January 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

So in Arcade Mode f2p player can fly out 5 t imes, "full" premium player up to 20. But to be honest 5 planes are perfectly sufficient for most players. 

As it's 16 aside, the biggest team disparity theoretically(probably never happen) would be 80 v's 320.

soolerman #17 Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24366 battles

View PostLeadbucket, on 12 January 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

If its going to be the same as the aircraft and I only have experience of them and not the tanks. Its 3 slots standard and you can pay for up to 6 more slots. The last one or two you need to spend gold on to get. But the premium account makes no difference to the numbers. You are also better off keeping to just the first 5 slots you are given until you have trained up your crew. As in this game crew skills are important and affect the machines performance a lot. 

I have 9 slots on both nations I play and hardly ever run out of plains in a 30 min game. I should note I am not a good player but I am also not a rammer.

As to the main point of this thread. The tank play, from what I have seen on youtube and been reading in the wt forums. Is significantly different to that in wot. I repeatedly see people saying that the skills they have in wot are only partly transferable to wt and lots of players seem to be struggling to adapted. That said I have seen no one suggest wot is a better game. That my be down to group of course. Personally I will be playing both games but I will be spending no more money on this game. 

Edited by soolerman, 12 January 2014 - 08:16 PM.

CuP1D #18 Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14418 battles

View Postvlad_grigorie, on 12 January 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

And about the arty pigs, when you are hit by an arty, even if it happends rarely, you still fell cheated . And it is a bad thing to drive your tank fearing that anytime a sky pig is aiming at you and can 1 shoot you ...:ohmy: 

Thinks of the story where the one of the arty gunners defending Bastogne delivered a shell onto the turret roof of a KingTiger - to use your terms - one-shot it!   Yep, so unfair to include things like this here....

Arty serves a purpose - stop claiming to not know what is is - you obviously do as you yourself have now claimed out loud to fearing ('thinking') about possible consequences of not allowing for them in your actions during the battle! < See what I did there?

Darth_Woras #19 Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Major

• Player
  • 62 battles
  • [HOI] HOI
GF might be broken by migrating hordes of tomatoes - never underestimate stupid thing in large masses.

RolaxLT #20 Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8585 battles

In my opinion both are good, but i hate to play with planes, so i choose World of Tanks.

+ World of tanks:

1.If you know how, you can bounce enemy shots

2.Wot MM is not so bad when you see Warthunder.

+ Warthunder:

1.There's no hp

2.More realistic graphics

Edited by RolaxLT, 12 January 2014 - 09:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users