chaffe guide help

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Kegeyn #1 Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20533 battles

Hi guys,

I dont want to whine just i need some advice. I played chaffe for some time about a year ago and i was doing ok in it - like 58-60% winrate in 100 games. I was happy with my results, spotting and general efficiency in battle

Recently i rebought it and... well now my winrate is about 53% and dropping. Theres no arty to spot for, teammates dont shoot targets i lit, there are MANY better, faster, more forgiving scouts in my MM range. that has better guns with more dmg and pen than me with gold ammo,  and so many new tanks that just 1 shot me.

Is this a common problem or is it just me being unskilled idiot? If you can tell me what could i do in games like this, what i do wrong in them and what can i do instead: (i get them a lot in chaffee) I appreciate all advices

http://wotreplays.co...eyn-m24_chaffee

Edited by Kegeyn, 14 January 2014 - 08:52 PM.

Gugulugalaga #2 Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18248 battles
If I had to guess and without watching your replays, I'd say, that is MM winratio autocorrect. With only 100 games, every loss is still counted heavily. Today I also lost 8 games out of 9. There was just nothing I could do. It'll get better, I reckon. My winratio in the Nashorn, actually a really good tank, dropped to 43%. If you refuse to stop playing like MM clearly tells you to, you will drop.

pie_eater #3 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15344 battles

First of all is unleared a word? And is the Caffe a tank?

Your title should be "Caffee and me - Did i really forget how to play this tank?"

Secondly, your winrate has nothing to do with yourself. If your team is good you have a better chance of winning, however, if your team is nooby (like me :trollface:) you have less chance of winning.

Some tanks on a rare occasion can win a game with a dead team and get the 'Kolobanovs' medal, but RNG has to be in your favour.

Hope this helped,

- Pie

Edited by pie_eater, 14 January 2014 - 09:02 PM.

Kegeyn #4 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20533 battles

View Postpie_eater, on 14 January 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

First of all is unleared a word? And is the Caffe a tank?

Your title should be "Caffee and me - Did i really forget how to play this tank?"

Never wrote any of those words. I made a mistake not adding additional "e" to chaffee not caffe. And unlearned is a word yes. google it

Vestrick64 #5 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 11496 battles
Chaffee is kinda obsolete in modern times (you said it yourself: stream of high tier scouts that do everything better, little arty with little impact on the game, accuracy buff that makes hitting fast tanks on the move easy). On top of that, Chaffee's camo has been almost halved in a recent nerf.

cellaman7 #6 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34760 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Just simply things have changed with the game. Tanks nerfed, less arty, whole new player base thanks to mass advertising, gold ammo abundant.

Some of the best WR tanks I have are forgettable ones, yet the ones I enjoy playing are constantly around the 50% mark.

Some games are easy these days and others are impossible to win. No matter how good or how hard you try or whatever tank you are in. So it seems to me anyway??

Kegeyn #7 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20533 battles

Yah but i can get 60% winratio on most tanks now up to tier 7 and some t8s. But on chaffee... Well i dont think of myself as a avesome scout player but i see BIG diffirences of how scouting worked before and how wierd it is now. Even if i try really hard i cant get a breakthrough with this tank and this tank only.

Another example from today.

Thats why i ask. Did i miss so big changes in the game's META? Did scout spots get nerfed and now when I spot from them my teammates cant do dmg? Damn i just hate when i dont know if i am doing something wrong. With most tanks i can analise my mistakes but in chaffee i dont see big mistakes, yet i dont get good results. Anybody?

Edited by Kegeyn, 14 January 2014 - 09:48 PM.

1Sub953 #8 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 109364 battles
  • [-352-] -352-
You did not change, the game did.

3Form #9 Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18246 battles

View PostKegeyn, on 14 January 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Yah but i can get 60% winratio on most tanks now up to tier 7 and some t8s. But on chaffee... Well i dont think of myself as a avesome scout player but i see BIG diffirences of how scouting worked before and how wierd it is now. Even if i try really hard i cant get a breakthrough with this tank and this tank only.

Another example from today.

Thats why i ask. Did i miss so big changes in the game's META? Did scout spots get nerfed and now when I spot from them my teammates cant do dmg? Damn i just hate when i dont know if i am doing something wrong. With most tanks i can analise my mistakes but in chaffee i dont see big mistakes, yet i dont get good results. Anybody?

Well this was more of a team fail in that match.

Personally I would ditch the camo/binocs for optics/rammer/vstab and play more active like you did the latter two-thirds of the game. You can still bush scout but the other equipment helps for the combat side of things. You can always abuse the 15m bush as an alternative to camonet.

And train 6th sense asap! (Unless I missed that you have it already).

I've got some Chaffee replays on that same map but generally where I have a decent team backing me up so I don't think they're worth uploading. Maybe I'll find some higher tier matches on some non scout friendly maps tomorrow!

Baldrickk #10 Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32316 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Chaffee still rules in tiers 7-8

High tier scouting is really hard these days.

With nerfed arty, there is often no one who can provide effective indirect fire like before.

Chaffee being tier 5 in battle tier 12 means that you actually have to scout, and that's hard because everyone else has the same massive view ranges, so in order to get spotting damage, your spots have to meet at least 4 criteria:

Tank is far enough away that it can't be spotted by allies.

Tank is near enough that it will be rendered by allies.

There is line of sight from allies to tank

Allies take advantage of your spot and don't just move up 10m to self spot and damage, robbing you of your assists.

Camo nerf hit chaffee quite hard.

There is a reason tier 7/8 lights tend to be light attack tanks rather than actual scouts.

Edited by Baldrickk, 15 January 2014 - 08:20 AM.

Kegeyn #11 Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20533 battles

And the final nail in the coffin - repair costs. It would be ok (10k for full repair) IF all t5 - t6 scouts had those (even then its rly a lot of silver).

Just WHY T21 has to pay for repair LESS than chaffee despite being tier higher and having simmilar stats

That is just riddiculous (because its so easy to fix like in 5 mins changing one number in the game)

SaintCaboose #12 Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21677 battles
  • [CDS] CDS

View PostKegeyn, on 15 January 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

And the final nail in the coffin - repair costs. It would be ok (10k for full repair) IF all t5 - t6 scouts had those (even then its rly a lot of silver).

Just WHY T21 has to pay for repair LESS than chaffee despite being tier higher and having simmilar stats

That is just riddiculous (because its so easy to fix like in 5 mins changing one number in the game)

keep in mind that the chaffee is considered as a tier 6

Kegeyn #13 Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20533 battles

Read again about what i complain in this post. EXACTLY THAT. T21 IS a t6 scout and it PAYS LESS for repair and EARNS MORE than chaffee even though they are almost equal in everything. Oh and chaffee has worse MM range (more t10 games)

"As another plus, the T21 has lower repair costs and more profitability than the Chaffee."

Source: wot wiki of t21

Edited by Kegeyn, 15 January 2014 - 06:06 PM.

mbebe23 #14 Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11742 battles

I bought Chaffee lately and I can confirm: scouting is hard now. Why?
- no arty;

- powerful high tier scouts;

- powerful high tier mediums (tier X mediums with 400m view range).

To play effective now you must be very, very defensive with rare occasions for aggressive scouting in high tier matches.

VeryRisky #15 Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

General

• Player
  • 18537 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I want to get back into playing the Chaffe again and improve and have been thinking about how I play.  I'd liek to passive scout and have set it up with Vents, Optics and Binocx for max spotting moving or stopped.

Some maps I have a fair idea of decent spots to grab and some I am less certain on.  But often I will head for a favoured spot and find a Tier 8 scout or some med charging towards me.  I might get a shot off and they might well get killed by my team but I am very dead unless it's somewhere I can drop down below a ridge and fast.

So knowing what I know about the tank and what it can do I have to resolve just not to try and race to a spot off the timer even if it might well work.  I need to take a position further back that I would like at least until their yolos are shot and then try and creap up carefully not shooting bloody anythign even where I think I've only a 25% change of getting spotted.  Basically not shoot until 5 mins into the game even if there are good targets, unless I am very, very safe.

What I want to get to be one of the last five tanks left when the Chaffee suddently becomes a great tank again.  So I'm goign to have to give up some eearly damage and the chance of a great passive result in an easy game for a better chance of influencing the games that are more in the balance.

Part of the reason is that we all know the chaffee will be nerfed horribly theis year and I want some decent games before it goes.  It has my best crew in the game and they're sitting idle half the time these days.

Edited by VeryRisky, 20 January 2014 - 05:18 PM.

Redavv #16 Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 19528 battles

You guys are all right. I to love the chaffee it was my first goal when i started playing wot. it has my best crew 3 skills on each. I used to be good with it i was invisible i gave arties a fighting chance, i was gunning down crippled heavies , IS3's didn't knew what hit them , with vertical stabilizer i was shooting full speed. It was a great TANK, the only thing was that it was not on russian line :P

Chaffee was a pure scout with a punch, sure there are better tier 7 scouts on the stats but some lack gun depression others lack view range . Chaffee is balanced . The camo nerfed pissed me off i get spotted even if i  am  extra extra careful. 

thanks WOT.  F.Y.I not all wot players like to play mindless heavies. :P

rptb1 #17 Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13308 battles
I, too, carved myself a happy scouting niche in this game. I went away nine months ago. Come back, and my niche is pretty much gone. There's nobody to scout for.  I think you just have to face it and find a new game to play, either inside WoT or outside.  I'm going to see what I can do with my WZ-132, otherwise it's mediums for me. But my Chaffee will still be the pride of my garage.

Amkal #18 Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26439 battles

I like playing light tanks and i am currently on the way to chaffee. Imo the biggest problems of having a low tier scout is that u dont have good enough crew in it to start with. Also many tier 7/8 teams just suck hard and there is nothing u can do about it.

However, i hope the chaffee will be at least as fun as 12t to play, and i am also waiting for the light tanks buff and the new possible US lights.

Kegeyn #19 Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20533 battles

It wont be as fun.

Dont get me wrong, i love chaffee but now it just is behind in most scout stats of the current metagame/

Amx 12t vs chaffee

Gun:

Amx Has: more dmg, more pen AP, More pen APCR, more accurate, higher aimtime + autoloader (810 dmg a clip)

Camo:

12 t  camo is better by about 22,2%

View range:

380 amx 12t vs 400 chaffe (both are capped with binos)

Speed:

12t has better max speed, slower acceleration and traverse.

Size:

12t is smaller and harder to hit

Matchmaking:

12t has more favorable MM by having t7 - t11, chaffe t7 - t12

Overall i think 12t is better tank for its tier, its awesome passive spotter with burst capabilities (200 pen on gold omg). Chaffe competes only as an active spotter but nowadays active spotting with chaffee size tends to get you killed before you do any good.

Psycho_Baby_ #20 Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61260 battles

Nerfing the Chaffee? It is entirely useless outside big open maps where it can do some passive scouting. Camo equals a medium tank, speed also. Big target with a subpar gun.

Also tagged with chaffe, guide, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users