M5 Stuart - struggling to adapt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

adamp89 #1 Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4784 battles

I've recently come back to this line after stopping at the m3 for ages, i've just got the M5 and cannot adapt to it's play style at all, the higher tier enemies dont help, and so far with a 0% win ratio, and having never survived any battles with it, I'm stuck trying to get to the turret for the howitzer (that I've already got lying round in my depot...). it's not the first time I've struggled to convert to a new tank in the tree (su76-su85b, marder 2-marder38t to name a couple)

so, what's the best way to play this tank, before and after the howitzer?

thanks for the help,

Adam

azakow #2 Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84804 battles

The best way is to spot for your team, hence you do not need a gun at all. Moreover shooting while spotting will kill you very fast.

You will need camo training for your crew, a bino, a camo net and a vent.

Edited by azakow, 30 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

adamp89 #3 Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4784 battles
i know how to scout for my team, I'm quite successful with the Luchs, but the tactics don't translate, I've mounted a camo net and bought the vents to up crew performance, but i get taken out really early before i can do anything (usually 1st or 2nd death in the team...) having the extra camo values is fine, but you can never use it when always up against tier 7-8's as they can see you long before you see them...

steel_lord #4 Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9277 battles

View Postadamp89, on 31 January 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

i know how to scout for my team, I'm quite successful with the Luchs, but the tactics don't translate, I've mounted a camo net and bought the vents to up crew performance, but i get taken out really early before i can do anything (usually 1st or 2nd death in the team...) having the extra camo values is fine, but you can never use it when always up against tier 7-8's as they can see you long before you see them...

That's the problem with Tier 4 "Scouts" nowadays. Even Heavies can outspot you. And then there are the Tier 6&7 light tanks, which are better than you at pretty much anything ...

You need a bit of luck to get into a bush without getting spotted by enemy mediums or lights (you should be in the bush, when the heavies and TDs arrive).

Also, you are rather new to the game. Bec. of that I would not recommend you to play any scout tanks (a mistake I made myself).

If you are in a tier 6-8 matches in the M5, you should scout, piss off and distract slow machines (heavies, most TDs), if possible, hunt arty, and most importantly not get shot.ever. Or at least, that's what I do. Many machines on Tier 8 will one-hit you, anything else will kill you in two shots, and your armor won't stop any shot.

Your main job in these battles is scouting. For that, a good crew is really important (it increases viewrange and camo values and sixth sense will save your [edited]and tell you where you can go and where you can't). During the countdown, decide, what you will do (e.g. to in which bush you are going to sit). 

If you can, scout passively:

• Drive to a forward bush, from which you can overview the usual approach lines to the battlefields or the camping spots.
  • Hide in it, activate your camo net and binocs and do not shoot. It will only get you spotted and you won't do damage (or only a reeeally little bit).
  • Of course, don't drive out of it, it will get you spotted too.
  • If you get spotted, run and hope you don't die (Usually you will die).
  • If you are sure that you spotted everything within your field of view, move on to piss off heavies (remember to not let them shoot back at you, only distract them from the actual threat, which should be your teammates) or hunt arty. You can also try to scout actively by peeking over hills or around corners.

I'm pretty sure, there are some videos on scouting on Youtube as well.

If you manage to get into a Tier 4 or 5 Battle, be happy. Be really happy. Play like a fast medium and outflank other tanks. Try to shoot at tanks with very weak (side) armor (your HE shells have 38 pen) or use HEAT against tanks that don't have great armor (these have 91 pen, enough for most meds at tier 4-5). At this Tiers you can actually take more than two shots from most tanks. Pz.1Cs can't even pen your front without gold.

I hope I cold help you at least a bit .  Also, take everything I wrote with a pinch of salt. I might not be a bad player, but I'm not very good either.

azakow #5 Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84804 battles

View Postadamp89, on 31 January 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

What training level does your crew have?

Are you familliar with the visibility in WoT? In case you don't, have a look here: http://wiki.worldoft...nics#Visibility

Beldegrom #6 Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17878 battles
Playing M5 is a real pain for me, I find light tank class the least rewarding, especially since the arty nerf and decrease of this only natural prey for scouts. I just managed to beat to death lonely Rhm which really made my day, but that is rare.

azakow #7 Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84804 battles

View PostBeldegrom, on 14 February 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Playing M5 is a real pain for me, I find light tank class the least rewarding, especially since the arty nerf and decrease of this only natural prey for scouts. I just managed to beat to death lonely Rhm which really made my day, but that is rare.

I can imagine that kill a Rhm. made your day. The derp gun helps alot on those open top vehicles i guess. I assume that circling a Rhm. in M5 is very freaking and gives a huge of adrenaline kick. :glasses:

I'm glad to see experienced players commanding the M5.

Edited by azakow, 15 February 2014 - 09:49 AM.

kobalt60 #8 Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3277 battles

I haven't played this time for a long time but I remember after furnishing it with top modules and skilled crew I considered it really nice (especially on low-tier battles)

The only reasonable gun for me is the howitzer. If you are in low tier battle try hit & run tactics, aim for softer targets ( light tanks, arties, hetzer on sides & back, t-28). If you are on high tier battles, you can try being a supporting flanker, I mean when hts fight with each other you attack from the side, damage enemy's tracks and drive to some same place as fast as you can.

goirad #9 Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 60851 battles
  • [3ADS] 3ADS
I absolutely love this Tank! Just rebought it to grind for the Chaffe because the Chaffe line gets extended. I equipped it with Binocs and Camonet and man! This Tank is Fun. Just play passive scout or zerg around the battlefield not giving crapno1 .  The DPM is insane (2500dmg per Minute !) . Just yesterday i killed a Full Health M6 ( took me 16 Shorts and he couldnt Even See me. Auch OP camo. 60 prevent wins.....

goirad #10 Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 60851 battles
  • [3ADS] 3ADS
Oh, i forgot to Mention the 20 degrees of gundepression, you can crest steep Hills and shoot Down the other side with ease.

hedi2222 #11 Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 34380 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
im thinking how am i gonna play this tank when the line gets extended :o well , its gonna be a pain :(

goirad #12 Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 60851 battles
  • [3ADS] 3ADS
Not at all! Its fun just rocket around and shoot at helpless alectos and Hetzers!

vilios #13 Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10189 battles
This tank is absolutely the biggest piece of s**t I've ever driven. I hope chaffee will be worth it, but then again I will be so disgusted playing lights till then I won't be excited to drive it.

Edited by vilios, 26 March 2014 - 08:38 PM.

azakow #14 Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84804 battles

View Postvilios, on 26 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

This tank is absolutely the biggest piece of s**t I've ever driven. I hope chaffee will be worth it, but then again I will be so disgusted playing lights till then I won't be excited to drive it.

IMO the M5 teaches patience, maps and battlefield awareness, all which is much needed to be successful in any LT.

You may skip some of these classes, but then we will most likely see you again in other LT topics.

Having an Alecto and Hetzer MM is the fun side of the MM coin.

A crew with 1st+ skill training will ease the pain alot.

albee9 #15 Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 70358 battles
  • [ACIDO] ACIDO

View Postvilios, on 26 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

The Chaffee will be a nightmare if you dont get to like the M5, the Chaffee's MM gets even worse, and 55 km/hr is not that fast and its view range is just ok on the top tiers. I felt the same when I was playing the M5 after the great M3 but eventually it got really good and my last matches with it were good fun. I have 68 matches in the M5 and my victory rate is 59%, with the Chaffee is only 54%. Another stat, with the M5 I managed to survive 1 in 3 battles ... with the Chaffee is only 1 in 5.

vilios #16 Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10189 battles

Guys, I have other lights too. Ok, I overreacted a bit(lot) but this tank just doesn't click for me. Never mind, just got my chaffee and aced on my 6th battle.  All modules free exp'ed but for the radio and top engine, and what can I say - it is a great little tank, I love it!

Nothing special but there it is. http://wotreplays.com/site/725857

Edit: what's your setup guys. I run it with vents, optics and binocs. I like to spot early and get into the thick of it when there is some fresh air end game. I understand I can mount vert. stab. but I find the gun accurate as it is.

Crew is fresh.

Edited by vilios, 28 March 2014 - 10:04 PM.

mocha021 #17 Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 29504 battles

Tonight tried again to play with this tank and it really is pain in the ***, tried to play with 37mm and with that gun mounted mm is placing me in matches with tiers 5, 6, 7 and when 75mm howitzer is mounted mm is very kind to me and I`m playing with tier 3, 4, 5 but damage is below average for this gun. When fighting tier IV light tanks could not make more then 45HP damage (with 75mm) and it does not matter at what angle is enemy, even side shots on light tanks make damage between 29 and 45HP!!!

Earlier when I played with this tank gun was much more powerful or maybe I forgot how weak it was.

Edit: in last battle I made more damage on 110 (and destroyed tracks on KV-4 and 110) then i could make on tier IV light tanks WTF!!!

Edited by mocha021, 05 April 2014 - 11:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users