What is so special about a tank soldier?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

smith841 #1 Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17675 battles

From what I have read on the WoT forum it seems no matter what country you come from, what rank you had in the Army or what vehicle you served on, tank soldiers share a common "something" that sets them apart from the rest. You can always sniff out the guy who has really worked on tanks compared to the general blablabla of the armchair warrior. So what sets a real tankie apart from the rest?

Here is a great film that touches on this subject. It's in English and focusses on the British Royal Armoured Corp but I think there is common ground for tankies everywhere. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/s80Pow7sfpg

Kevbar #2 Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16269 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

Same with submarines.

Once a Submariner, always a Submariner.

Hunter1911 #3 Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Product Manager

• WG Staff
  • 10227 battles
  • [WG] WG

View Postsmith841, on 06 February 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

From what I have read on the WoT forum it seems no matter what country you come from, what rank you had in the Army or what vehicle you served on, tank soldiers share a common "something" that sets them apart from the rest. You can always sniff out the guy who has really worked on tanks compared to the general blablabla of the armchair warrior. So what sets a real tankie apart from the rest?

Here is a great film that touches on this subject. It's in English and focusses on the British Royal Armoured Corp but I think there is common ground for tankies everywhere. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/s80Pow7sfpg

I recon each branch has something that connects them.

Tankies could be a bit more distinguishing due to the facts the crews have greater bonding opportunities due to unique service conditions.

And once you participate to a certain group, you kind of have a greater insight on how does that group works, what binds it together and you can spot those characteristics on others.

Also, good video as always :)

aeraaa83 #4 Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11056 battles

It's the fact that their arses are so high above the ground probably.:teethhappy:

j/k, I have a high respect about you guys, plus we get more jokes on us than you (infantry):smile:

Tigger3 #5 Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13561 battles

Whats sets a tankie apart from the rest 

The permanent tan from soaking in OMD75/80/80X/90 depending when you were in

The deafness as real men do not wear ear muffs they for fluffy people

The love of pies of all sorts - in fact any pastry wrapped product 

The inclination to jump large gaps despite being told they will never make it (Anti Tank Ditches are called that for a reason boys)

The complete lack of give and take on the road - its mine all mine move out of the way - even when in their Fiat Uno. 

The absolute love of wallowing in mud (Soltau-Lunenberg Heide had a lot to answer to). 

The worshipping of a small greyish square - the giver of food and drink - the secret of which has been jealously guarded through the ages (the mythical BV)

smith841 #6 Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17675 battles

View PostTigger3, on 28 April 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

The inclination to jump large gaps despite being told they will never make it (Anti Tank Ditches are called that for a reason boys)

The complete lack of give and take on the road - its mine all mine move out of the way - even when in their Fiat Uno.

The absolute love of wallowing in mud (Soltau-Lunenberg Heide had a lot to answer to).

The worshipping of a small greyish square - the giver of food and drink - the secret of which has been jealously guarded through the ages (the mythical BV)

The endless number of jokes relating to grunts (infantry)

The ability to consume endless variations of the sarny, preferably using white bread garnished with the oily fingerprints of the loader

The ability to breath in endless volumes of cordite and love it too

Tigger3 #7 Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13561 battles

View Postsmith841, on 29 April 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

The endless number of jokes relating to grunts (infantry)

The ability to consume endless variations of the sarny, preferably using white bread garnished with the oily fingerprints of the loader

The ability to breath in endless volumes of cordite and love it too

The love and hate with your Sappers - bringers of shiney things and inveterate borrowers (apart from our Armoured Farmers - but they were wannabe clankies), [edited] of the British Army

Edited by Neilloss46, 04 May 2014 - 04:48 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. Neilloss46

Hunter1911 #8 Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Product Manager

• WG Staff
  • 10227 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostTigger3, on 28 April 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Lol, nice elaboration.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users