New gaming rig arrived I'm gonna kick ....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Major_cjs #1 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3836 battles

So after playing this game with a "fast" laptop mouse/keybord and monitor : average fps 30-50 mid graphics i decided to give myself a treat :smile:

It arrived today installed wot first thing "of course", all mods and cranked the graphic to max : average fps 75-90.

It sounds fantastic but in reality it feels wrong - simply put : i play better with bad graphics :sceptic:

Anyone else choosing not to go max on graphics even if you can?

I'm not disappointed with it i mean i can take that extra power running music, web and recording in the background now just felt a bit

odd that i preferred lower settings

LazyJustice #2 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15360 battles

I got an [Edited] Laptop i play all settings low (only few things not) with avg 30fps and i play "OK"

Played by a buddy like you do now and can say..
The worse graphic i got the more i focus on playing

Major_cjs #3 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3836 battles

View Postaljetab, on 06 February 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

I got an [Edited] Laptop i play all settings low (only few things not) with avg 30fps and i play "OK"

Played by a buddy like you do now and can say..
The worse graphic i got the more i focus on playing

I think this is very true, i'm dreading the better graphics in the coming patches i'm gonna play like a tomato all over again :teethhappy:

Yag0 #4 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3168 battles

View PostMajor_cjs, on 06 February 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

odd that i preferred lower settings

More like so used to slumming it your brain is having a little fritz out!

Will soon grow to like the higher fps :)

Gratz too, enjoy it :D

LazyJustice #5 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15360 battles

View PostMajor_cjs, on 06 February 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

I think this is very true, i'm dreading the better graphics in the coming patches i'm gonna play like a tomato all over again :teethhappy:

when i see Gameplays on everything HIGH for me thats HD allready

TardWurst #6 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 41128 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

Much bigger impact comes from upgrading internet connection to something that works from wireless shite, of course if the pc is dying then playing is impossibru and only getting worse by updates. I had these issues for some funny 18k battles. Was very funny to crash into tanks that I couldn't see, powerfull scuuting.

Major_cjs #7 Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 3836 battles

View PostYag0, on 06 February 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

More like so used to slumming it your brain is having a little fritz out!

Will soon grow to like the higher fps :)

Gratz too, enjoy it :D

My brain usually do that, and thx i will enjoy it. The paint drawings im gonna be able to do on this, its gonna be sick

magyshadow #8 Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28156 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostMajor_cjs, on 06 February 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Anyone else choosing not to go max on graphics even if you can?

That would be me.

You don't max graph settings just because you can. I mean you do, to test your rig. But point is to set graphic so it would be more useful than beautiful.

WoT looks beautiful maxed out, but there is no way I can play like that. I use maxed out settings while watching replay.

BTW since you getting 75-90 fps, try experimenting with vertical synchronization. It will give you constant 60 fps, but I find it much more pleasant to play. 

RambaRal #9 Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9815 battles
Haha, it happened for me too 2 weeks ago when I changed my PC. Don't worry, it's weird at the beginning but you'll get used soon. In a couple of days I was back to my standard suckage level ^^

iztok #10 Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Hi!

> Anyone else choosing not to go max on graphics even if you can?

With the old GPU (geForce 8800gt) I played with improved graphics on mostly low to some med settings with around 50 FPS. After installing better GPU (Radeon 5770, because the old GPU broke), I tried the game on max details. I got around 25 FPS, but the amount of new details was distracting, e.g. grass and smoke obstructing view, gun blast hurting my eyes...  I tried to selectively decreased them, but was not successfull, so I returned to the old, mostly low settings and am happily tanking with some 55 FPS.

BR,  Iztok

Edited by iztok, 07 February 2014 - 09:02 AM.

Klypa_ #11 Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14700 battles
It just needs getting used to, thats all.

828586 #12 Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 861 battles

set all textures quality to max render distance also, turn on AA, all other OFF or to minimum, game looks almost good and will be playable

all eye candy features causes game more unpleasant, because of more distracting elements

DeadlySin85 #13 Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9047 battles
  • [AT_GR] AT_GR
As every old school gamer would say: "it's all about the gameplay, not the graphics!"

MantrasOfWar #14 Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 63120 battles
  • [D57T] D57T

I play on minimum and with tweeker because i dont like effects, grass, smoke, explosions. I play alot hours per day and my eyes hurt me. To much details means to much stress for for eyes and brain and result in a bad gaming.

So i love clean grafic.

Pandabird #15 Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

i cranked it up to the max because i have the hardware. But it made the graphics go very glitchy so i had to lower shaders and lightning effects a bit to make it stable. (after flashing BIOS, reinstalling windows, redownloading drivers, reinstalling wot, running all tests from 3dmark to god knows what...)

90fps normally and 120 with sniper view (any more fps than 60-70 is no point since you won't really notice the difference)

graphics are beautiful, don't find them distracting at all except for occasional mistakes thinking grass can hide ELC xD

bean57 #16 Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18721 battles

I don't think it makes any difference once you get used to the change.  I played my first few months of WoT on a creaky old PC, playing with all graphics settings either Low or Off I got maximum 12 fps - dropped to about 7 fps in sniper mode.  Sometimes it was so bad it was like looking through one of those books where you flick the pages to make the image "move".

In the meantime I built myself a new rig and when it was ready and loaded I was able to crank all the settings up to high and still average around 50 fps.  It was like a different game, and a bit weird at first but I soon got used to it and, as someone else said above, settled down to playing just as badly as I had before - i.e. no better, no worse.

xxlguru #17 Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 40183 battles

Well as first Congratz on the new PC. At least you will be able to play other games good now :P

Well in times of CS People would use extremely low resolution on bigger monitors to make hit box bigger. It made sense.

Now for me personally I can not be disturbed by eye candy on. I do not use full eye candy if I do not have horse powers to run it at good FPS. But if I have I do it. Not an issue what so ever. You will just stop noticing details in fast action.

Now there is another issue. Issue of screen size and resolution. At certain point it is harder to aim at some weak spot if actual hit box size got smaller due higher DPI screen. Mouse DPI also start to play bigger role with higher resolutions. You should not use software cursor acceleration (if you use resolution of mouse gets low) so actual DPI of mouse gets important. Mouse mat gets important to. At some point smallest movement of mouse can be like 5 mm at your screen if your mouse is to fast. If Mouse is to slow 5 cm movement of mouse will make just 5mm cursor movement on high resolution screen. So adjusting balance of screen size and resolution as well as mouse and mouse mat is kinda important to experience when playing WoT.

Once you set all up as you want you will still need a day or two to get use to it. Then everything will start feeling good again.

Once more congrats.

Dan_Abnormal #18 Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32665 battles

For some reason I get massively varied FPS depending on where I am on the map or which direction I'm looking, it can vary as much as +/- 80 FPS, yes I said 80.

I can be at 120FPS one second and then look around and it's in the 40s, no other game I play is like this, it's either really really poorly optimized or there is something very wrong with my client.

Woel #19 Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24260 battles
When I changed my PC, I quickly turned off shadows, flora, tracks and some special effects. Not only they are horribly optimized, but I find them qutie annoying as well (at least tracks and flora, shadows could be ok).

Ribba #20 Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5418 battles

View Postxxlguru, on 07 February 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Now there is another issue. Issue of screen size and resolution. At certain point it is harder to aim at some weak spot if actual hit box size got smaller due higher DPI screen. Mouse DPI also start to play bigger role with higher resolutions. You should not use software cursor acceleration (if you use resolution of mouse gets low) so actual DPI of mouse gets important. Mouse mat gets important to. At some point smallest movement of mouse can be like 5 mm at your screen if your mouse is to fast. If Mouse is to slow 5 cm movement of mouse will make just 5mm cursor movement on high resolution screen. So adjusting balance of screen size and resolution as well as mouse and mouse mat is kinda important to experience when playing WoT.

Screen size and resolution is not important regarding mouse speed? It's only resolution that is important. A mouse speed is rated with DPI, dot's per inch. I've have a dual screen 1980x1080 setup. That means from my far left to my far right, it's 3960 pixels. That regardless if I have 19" screens, 27" screens (which I do) or 40" screens. The distance is the same in pixels. So that means that with a gaming mouse (rather old and slow though) that is rated to 5700 DPI, I only have to move the mouse sideways 0,7 inch, which would be  1,7-1,8 cm. Again, the size of the screens would be irrelevant. The cursor would move the same distance relative to the screen size. So only resolution would be of interest.

Well, unless I have misunderstood something vital. 

But of course, there is the human factor of perception. A cursor will feel faster on a big screen since it actually do travel longer on a big screen then on a small, since the screen is... well bigger. 

But a new gaming rig is something I really want myself. Has been looking at one which I really wanted, but since I have ordered myself a new car and that I'm probably are going to buy myself an apartment this year, I only have to put the gaming rig on a hold.

Specs for the rig I was looking on:

ASUS Triple SLI Bridge
CM Storm Stryker Gaming Big Tower
Corsair AX 1200i, 1200W PSU
Corsair Individually Sleeved Cable White
Corsair Professional Sleeved Cable White
Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition
Cooler Master Seidon 120V CPU Kjøler
ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME, Socket-2011
Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 32GB KIT
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB PhysX CUDA
Crucial M500 SSD 2.5" 480GB
Toshiba Desktop 3TB SATA 3.0
Samsung DVD-brenner SH-S202J IDE
CM Storm Devastator - MS2K & MB24

But I would probably have chosen a bit more memory.

Edited by Ribba, 07 February 2014 - 05:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users