matchmaking mm feedback broken imbalance balance tier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17386 replies to this topic

badgr_ #1 Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• 1485 battles

POPULAR

Hi everybody!

So there seem to be a lot of misunderstanding, or dissatisfaction regarding matchmaking. Before you make a thread, here are a few things to do first!

Firstly, MM =goodtasty, as demonstrated by the following image:

1. Search the forum for similar threads. It may be that your questions or concerns have already been answered.

2. Watch the following video explaining the mechanics of matchmaking.

3. Read the WIKI article, found here: http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/Battle_Mechanics#Matchmaking

Matchmaker chart added for convenience (thanks Damocles!):

Spoiler

4. Read the two following articles from our Support team explaining the whole thing!

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/314/18/how-does-the-matchmaking-work

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/388/18/how-does-the-match-maker-work

5. If none of these helped to answer your questions... Follow steps 1-4 again.......! On a serious note, if they did not help and there are no other threads about it, then the question may be a little more specific, and thus require further input from the community. In that case, ask away. :smile:

Ninja edit!

Why are you not fixing the MM and instead working on X Y and Z feature? The MM is BROKEN!

This is one of the more frequent questions we get and the answer to this is simple: The MM is not broken, it is working as it is supposed to. The developers are monitoring it and if it needs adjusting they will do so. Claiming it's broken despite having read all of the above from Dakiras should help you understand that such a claim isn't necessarily true.

- iScending

Thanks!

Edited by Grimbru, 13 February 2015 - 05:31 PM.
Edited to add updated 9.6 MM table

RichardNixon #2 Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 4395 battles

Needs note about Confrontation mode, as it's responsible for most of the grossly imbalanced games at the moment. A lot of players don't seem to realise that it's a separate mode, and that they can disable it if they don't like it.

badgr_ #3 Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• 1485 battles
Since Confrontation is still very new, it's quite likely that there will be tweets over time. We will know soon.

Woody1999 #4 Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17508 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Team Battles have skill-based MM? I don't believe you.

Did some light-hearted TB games with the klen on Friday night, and us all being green/blue (red in my case) players we met a variety of reds/yellows.

I think 1 out of 7/8 games had relatively equal matchmaking.

You can't give us the excuse you had before that "the game mode is new and still needs to determine player skill" because it's been around for a while now. It's getting boring just steamrolling tomatoes again, and again, and again.

Woody

Startrek_Fanboy #5 Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44217 battles
  • [EST-D] EST-D

Lost rows...how it is possible?????

My record is 27 battles a row...win row was 5 battles a row.

And how it is possible to play 80% of your battles with win chance below 45%(i do my homework)

How?????????????

safling #6 Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19981 battles
  • [TBUA] TBUA

POPULAR

While i rarely complain about matchmaking, something must have gone really wrong when this match was setup.

And to no ones surprice it ended with 0-15.
I'd also like to quote pretty much every player in my team: "Confrontation, UNTICKED"

Edited by safling, 17 February 2014 - 06:52 PM.

arnorwarrior #7 Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15944 battles

View Postsafling, on 17 February 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

While i rarely complain about matchmaking, something must have gone really wrong when this match was setup.

And to no ones surprice it ended with 0-15.
I'd also like to quote pretty much every player in my team: "Confrontation, UNTICKED"

I've seen a lot of similar pictures of tier 10 confrontation mode in the last few days. Haven't experienced it myself - as I don't play tier 10 a lot - but something in tier 10 confrontation mode matchmaking seems broken. The other tiers and game modes don't seem to have these kinds of problems.

Edited by arnorwarrior, 17 February 2014 - 07:26 PM.

Janissary_ML #8 Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27933 battles
LOL WG Staff You are not absolutely convincing. I've heard that story too much. Even if not put any algorithm can be much more balanced than MM. Try random matches really much better than your mm algorithm. Andersen fairy tales much better than your lies. I am sure  you will ban to me 3 days more. Because I tell true. You never like who's talking trues. Here dictator're good at. Facts do not tolerate.

Jigabachi #9 Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles

View PostDakiras, on 17 February 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

1. Search the forum for similar threads.

2. Watch the following video explaining the mechanics of matchmaking and start laughing at 0:38, when he says "Teams should differ so that the outcome of the battle is unpredictable".

Spoiler

3. Read the WIKI article

4. Read the two following articles

5. ...

6. Keep in mind that the MM ignores certain factors, like the vehicle's nationality, modules, playerskill and gameplay quality.

koeni556 #10 Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7701 battles

Usually I don´t whine or complain, but right now there is simething seriously wrong with the MM. The teams are 60% of the time totally imbalanced.

You have either no chance of winning or massacre the other team without really having to try hard..

IMHO there is something very strange with MM right now, never had this this strong before.

TinyViking #11 Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Major

• Player
  • 9449 battles

View Postkoeni556, on 17 February 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Usually I don´t whine or complain, but right now there is simething seriously wrong with the MM. The teams are 60% of the time totally imbalanced.

You have either no chance of winning or massacre the other team without really having to try hard..

IMHO there is something very strange with MM right now, never had this this strong before.

Are you playing Confrontation by any chance? That MM is a little different (as many have noticed and pointed out :P).

koeni556 #12 Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7701 battles

I did play confrontation too, yes , but the games that were the most extreme were "ordinary" games , not confrontation.

But confrontation is very nice by the way....is ridiciously imbalanced I must say after having a few more games..

Edited by koeni556, 18 February 2014 - 07:40 AM.

CZE_JensVanEcek #13 Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 39622 battles
  • [RCS09] RCS09

It would seem there is something wrong with MM. It was announced that the change should improve the chances of tier VIII tanks of joining battle quickly.

Yet, I never had problems before, but now I am waiting minutes - and then fall into a battle with 10+ tier IX and X tanks.

Gerrit71 #14 Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16319 battles
the MM is a joke. I dont like winning when the battle is like a roll over. Same with loosing. The problem with MM when plaing low tier vs higher tier , is that the highest tier should have few numbers, like 2 or 3 tops. Now I get matches where the lowest Tier has lowest numbers. So they have no fun at all in that tier. Today I was in Panther II and was only Tier 8, so I drowned myself ..that was real fun. It didnt matter as my presence among 9 tier X, was useless. We wrote 83 pages of complains, and the answer from WG, to go F__k ourselves.

KnAson #15 Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19188 battles
  • [ULVEN] ULVEN
"Unlike the real world, both sides of the conflict need to be as balanced as possible, so that only a combination of individual skill, team work and coordination (sometimes luck) can influence the outcome of the battle. We understand how important the match making is to maintain an interesting and fun atmosphere for everyone on the battlefield, therefore we strive to make it as fair and consistent as possible." > our feedback to WG is that the steel is not balanced enough. > the player 'skill'(gives knowhow, teamwork & coord) is not even out in MM. > the battles looks rigged to give the players a twist towards 50% win/lose ratio. > some games are fun, long and even. But most of them are short, uneven and just a waiste of time. Big lose and big win. !!! time for a rebuild of MM: Listen to forums ideas and give feedback. Now it doesn't work well, at all

Adrianus_West #16 Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10589 battles

POPULAR

Again just nonsense matches today. All in all lost nearly each of them, with different tanks. It doesn't matter how hard you try, the result is fixed at the beginning.

Enough of that. I'll stop playing until the MM is repaired after an update. There is no meaning in it at the moment. And most important - no fun. :facepalm:

TeunStier #17 Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 28134 battles
  • [-CAV-] -CAV-

Confrontation has way too many bad matchmaking. Types of tanks do not seem to be matched. You see for example teams of almost all Hellcat against ARL44 and BDR who seems to get the same weight as the Hellcat. Playing 12 T18s in my pzII last battle was the last confrontation battle I am going to play. Another promising game mode ruined by bad implementation.

Please fix it!

Gerrit71 #18 Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16319 battles
I think confrontation mode is just a short cut to shorten the waiting list by several minutes. As there is a majority sitting in ISU152, Prots TD, etc etc.. They are now set in 12 vs 12 matches. Wg say it needs tweeking, but I think this is the tweek. onfrontation is a dumpster for the waiting queue, with an alternative to swith it off. Almost like there is some sort of demotivation on purpose.to get us off the servers and have a real  life . In the end, WOT and WG business is not to give entertainment, but to make profit. And by the reply on the forum,, this is what they intent to do, all we can do is uit playing, and do more useful stuff with our lives. I think online gaming will prove to be a useless activity what makes the brain dull and addicted. Quiting is not too bad.

higurush #19 Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16816 battles

POPULAR

Try random battles alone from 18:00-0:00, in tier 8-10 with a standardnon-premium account with a non-premium tank. You'll sure notice the issues.

If you won't then here is the main problem:

- Unbalanced player skills and tanks in each team.

Here's the story from the previous topic(Official MM feedback) which was deleted:

"One day, I decided to play with my IS-3 in random battles. I have been in the MM queue for like 20 seconds.

What I have seen:

Players in queue: 3,4k+

Players in tier 10: 200+

Players in tier 9: 100+

Players in tier 8: 200+

>rest

I got in a full tier 10 battle, being the only tier 8 tank in the whole match (yeah it happens with the current MM, but that does not really matter to me, since I can still do epic stuff, BUT!..). I did 6k+ dmg, got 4 kills.

And yeah, it sure was a defeat. Note that I got the most experience, most kills in the battle, I did the most damage on our side and the whole kill numbers of my team was 6 and there were still 4 tanks on our side who did 0 damage."

So basically even if I play my tank to the max, I still cannot influence the battle, when I got 10+ players in my team with less than 800 WN8, while the enemy team's avarage WN8 is 1300-1500+ with mostly "green" players and some "blue" and "purples". It is obvious that they will beat the last breath out of the little heavy tank siemkas.

Also the MM won't consider how powerful each tank is. WG, you mentioned in your "Team Battle" video series, that "You should chose this and that tank". Now that you have said it. You sure know what tanks have the most influence on a battle.

I have been in an MM with my BC, where the avg WN8 was 1400+ on both sides. It was a really fun match. For our team of course! We had 3 BCs, 2 T62-As, 1 Obj.140, 2 Foch 155, and some AMX 120s on Fisherman's bay. The enemy team only had some russian and german heavies, with some american TDs. Most of us said.. "hey we got so many fast tanks, just rush through the 1st line and win" we did that and we REKT them so hard the match ended in 3 minutes.

From my experiences, you should take into consideration these factors:

- player skill (you have introduced your own skill factor for team battles, now use your own creation)

- tank influence/tank "OPness"

- and some corrections in the MM - see the MM queue

And WG Staff, please be so kind and answer. (No offense! No sarcasm!)

You have a lot of players who are eager to hear answers from you to these kind of statements, facts and experiences. Let us hear your true opinion. Not what the bosses say to you.

Discuss importarnt things with your community, make polls and do some survey on how most of the community feels. You can filter the poll votes on average eff,wn8,wgrating. You'll sure see some interesting results!

Edited by higurush, 18 February 2014 - 09:12 AM.

Dr_Zap #20 Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 72445 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Usually I take the MM as it comes, but I just want to share with you that it seems that after the patch the weird MM games seem to be a lot more frequent. With this I mean matches where you play tier 7 in a tier 9 game, sofar so good, but the opposing team has only 1 tier 8 and the rest tier 9. It becomes even worse if you play a platoon with tier 7 or 8. The times we landed in a battle where the enemy has a lowest tier vehicle that is our tier+1 is just starting to become disturbing. I realise these matches happened before, but I havent seen many during prime time. Now I see several every night during prime time.

To me it seems the MM was changed a bit to reduce waiting times (I know the battle tier 12 removal), but as a consequence the occasions you are just thrown in a battle without MM rules applying have changed aswell.

Just my 2 cents.

Also tagged with matchmaking, mm, feedback, broken, imbalance, balance, tier

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users