Tap, tap, tap

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

smith841 #1 Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17675 battles

In real life tank soldiering, just like in WoT, it is important to fire the first shot when engaging an enemy tank. One of the most important factors that determines a first round hit is the correct range estimation to the target. With the right range the gunner can lay the gun onto the target taking the velocity of the ammunition into consideration. Modern tanks have laser rangefinders linked to electronic fire control systems that make this very easy. However, the ability for a tank commander to estimate the range to a target using the mark 1 eyeball is still important. I remember many sessions of estimating ranges in the Dorset countryside during my tank commander course at Bovington, England.

In the early seventies another method was employed to assist the tank commander in range estimation. This was the .50 Browning ranging gun. This gun was mounted coaxially to the main armament and fired ammunition that produced a white flash when it struck a hard object. The firing mechanism was such that it fired a 3 round burst.

And so to my story which is true and really happened.

The British Army has a huge training facitity called BATUS in Canada. It is one of the few places where tanks fire live ammunition during major movement exercises. In the 70's the main battle tank was the Chieftain. During a main exercise a particular Chieftain broke down (nothing new here). It took some time before it was repaired (pack change). Once fixed, the tank commander received orders to rejoin his squadron. It was the middle of the night and the tank had to move tactically. If you study the film in the link you will see that BATUS is open prairie. No real cover apart from the undulating terrain. Our tank commander thought the best way to get back was in a straight line and off he went. Using the moonlight and time/distance estimations he was 2 hours into the journey when the crew heard tap,tap,tap. At first they thought they had run over something or that something was loose on the tank so they stopped. Immediately they heard again tap,tap,tap on the outside of the tank....

"Holy f*ck, driver turn your lights on NOW and reverse hard!!" screamed the commander. On the radio he sent "Stop, stop, stop. Unknown tank do not fire, do not fire, you are aiming at a friendly tank". Nothing else happened.

When the light came in the morning there were a number of holes in the stowage bins and richochet marks on the tank. Now other tank in the area admitted to starting an engagement the night before.

Anyone else experienced a near miss?

Tigger3 #2 Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13561 battles

Both in BATUS mid 1984

During the 'Northern Lights' firepower demo - we were setting up a Reserve Dem on a Bailey Bridge, we heard a richochett off the panels - some muppet mistook the odd red flash of a torch for target markers or tracer and decided to shoot in our general direction even though out of the fire arcs.

Cheify drove over our 4 tonne G10 truck that was in an old tank slot (luckily the driver was not asleep in it for a change) - next Cheify my commander saw (we were in a 432) he opened up on with our LMG - cue close down as we received incoming later on in the day and a little fire on the roof of all our webbing (which or course was bombed up with 7.62mm for the SLR's) curtesy of an accident with some tracer apparently - sitting inside while several mags cooked off on top of the hull. 

EW_Bill70 #3 Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3393 battles
  • [GITS-] GITS-

View PostTigger3, on 02 March 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Both in BATUS mid 1984

During the 'Northern Lights' firepower demo - we were setting up a Reserve Dem on a Bailey Bridge, we heard a richochett off the panels - some muppet mistook the odd red flash of a torch for target markers or tracer and decided to shoot in our general direction even though out of the fire arcs.

Cheify drove over our 4 tonne G10 truck that was in an old tank slot (luckily the driver was not asleep in it for a change) - next Cheify my commander saw (we were in a 432) he opened up on with our LMG - cue close down as we received incoming later on in the day and a little fire on the roof of all our webbing (which or course was bombed up with 7.62mm for the SLR's) curtesy of an accident with some tracer apparently - sitting inside while several mags cooked off on top of the hull. 

Thats very Interesting  I was also in BATUS in 84 ( MM4)  ,,was working on a chiefy as gunner for 22  Csqn ,,one day we found bullet holes along back of tank and also on turret NBC pack Right below commanders position , more bullets hole along LHS side of tank every goddam bin had bin hit including the fin "Bag bin" ( sleeping bags all four were holed to f...k)  As far as I know though none of our REGT drove over any "Friendly " position's or vehicles..   did hear a story tho about some ammo "cooking off" on top of one of the 432's , also watched a 432 almost go up in flames whilst refuelling on a leagre replen ,,was rather funny watching the Inf doing a bomblast out of said 432 !!!  luckily tho no one was hurt ,, also on that MM we had a goddam "prairie fire" started from one of our SQN's chieffies genny ,, ended up after god knows how many hours of fire fighting ,, using 432's  chieftain's and alot of men running along edge of fire with what ever they could get hold of , brushes shovvels  etc.. Fire base was 10 km wide length was over 20 k or was it 10k long on a base of 20 ood km  ( cant remember the actual figures tho at the time the whole BG ended up being involved with civvie support on standby ,incase the fire started to go outside of range area !!) Either way it was my FIRST MM  lol and I can never forget how it was lmao .........   "SINBIN"  EEeeeekkk   .....   ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users