Jump to content


Special: Battle of Kasserine Pass Weekend


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

    Sergeant

  • Content Team
  • 0 battles
  • 24,487
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011
The battle took place between 19th and 25th February 1943, and is considered one of the milestones of the Tunisia campaign. Commemorate it on the battlefield!

Full news text

Maxyon #2 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2350 battles
  • 242
  • Member since:
    03-01-2011
The tanks are crap but other stuff is good.

Edited by apocaliptis, 20 February 2014 - 04:34 PM.


CroPanzer #3 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 19648 battles
  • 991
  • [CARAS] CARAS
  • Member since:
    07-01-2010
Nice!

Tall_Toot #4 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 24688 battles
  • 730
  • [HO_PO] HO_PO
  • Member since:
    07-03-2011

"Not only was the battle the first large-scale meeting between the Allies and the Axis"..

 

Even assuming you just mean in the North African campaign, I suppose the battle of El Alamien in October 1942 counts as a minor skirmish does it?

 

You berks talk some utter crap somedays............

 

Oh yeah, nice special btw.. :glasses:

 

21/2- Try and read the whole thread before mashing your trotter into the neg rep key folks, please.....


Edited by Tall_Toot, 21 February 2014 - 05:08 PM.


Murphy1up #5 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Military Reserve
  • 11069 battles
  • 7,282
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-
  • Member since:
    05-10-2012

View Postapocaliptis, on 20 February 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

The tanks are crap but other stuff is good.

 

It's a historical event and we're always limited by the tanks that took part.  There is some popular tier V tanks there that are good for earning credits and personally I'll be playing lots of my Tiger. :great:



hedi2222 #6 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 28199 battles
  • 7,821
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    08-12-2013
ITs funny  how 10k people from my country joined the allies while another 2k joined the axis , so basically tunisians fought each other in this battle ..... shame on us :P

Industrial7 #7 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 3286 battles
  • 483
  • Member since:
    12-08-2012
Great! My favourite tank (Crusader) is getting more credits, I can get the Pz.Kpw. IV even easier and my favourite tech trees are getting boosts!

Naboo #8 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22222 battles
  • 1,138
  • Member since:
    03-28-2011
So this means I'll give my french crewmen a free weekend and hope for lots of confrontations...

Visom #9 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 35483 battles
  • 137
  • Member since:
    09-05-2013

View PostTall_Toot, on 20 February 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

"Not only was the battle the first large-scale meeting between the Allies and the Axis"..

 

Even assuming you just mean in the North African campaign, I suppose the battle of El Alamien in October 1942 counts as a minor skirmish does it?

 

You berks talk some utter crap somedays............

 

Oh yeah, nice special btw.. :glasses:

 

Now, english isn't my native language, but from what I've read WG is far from the alone in saying Kasserine pass is the first large-scale meeting. El Alamein had larger forces, but the scale was smaller. It was basically only one LOD where it all took place.



Ulfhedinn_ #10 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 48246 battles
  • 7,041
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013

View PostTall_Toot, on 20 February 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

"Not only was the battle the first large-scale meeting between the Allies and the Axis"..

 

Even assuming you just mean in the North African campaign, I suppose the battle of El Alamien in October 1942 counts as a minor skirmish does it?

 

Actually WG are correct. El Alamein was British Commonwealth / Empire only - not the 'Allies'. Battle of Kasserine Pass was the first time American land forces fought the Germans (and also Italians, so Axis) in WW2 (and the American's had British support - not from Montgomery's Eighth Army that fought at El Alamein and was to the East, it was parts of the Allied invasion force landed in Operation Torch to the West and coming through the Atlas mountains). So it was the first time the 'Allies' fought the Germans / Axis.

 

Yep, nice special, surprised no Allied arty included in the special as Yank and Brit arty is what swung it (not that I really care though, sky pigs are not my thing)    :-)


Edited by Maxmk6, 20 February 2014 - 05:31 PM.


SOMI_SRB #11 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 37046 battles
  • 677
  • Member since:
    11-28-2011
If you have Tiger , you can earn some nice credits ;)

comintogetu #12 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 29945 battles
  • 681
  • [79HD] 79HD
  • Member since:
    04-20-2011
OOh, goody! lots of M3 Lees' to kill :justwait:

IPaul72 #13 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 8123 battles
  • 1,603
  • Member since:
    04-20-2012

View Postcomintogetu, on 20 February 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

OOh, goody! lots of M3 Lees' to kill :justwait:

Yep I should imagine Bruce will be running around the battlefields this weekend :justwait:

Happy Hunting all 

Kind regards

IPaul72



ParkerLM #14 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 22153 battles
  • 26
  • [CRY2] CRY2
  • Member since:
    12-21-2012

View PostVisom, on 20 February 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

 

Now, english isn't my native language, but from what I've read WG is far from the alone in saying Kasserine pass is the first large-scale meeting. El Alamein had larger forces, but the scale was smaller. It was basically only one LOD where it all took place.

I think you will find that El Alamien was a UK and Commonwealth engagement, where Kesserine Pass was Anglo-American forces combined in the battle there for the first of its kind and thus classes as the 'First Allied vs. Axis engagement/battle'



dovoljno_los #15 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 44265 battles
  • 11
  • [STUG] STUG
  • Member since:
    02-11-2012

http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/news/11/defenders_day/

 

russ always have better specials...



Steiner011 #16 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 37018 battles
  • 1,267
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012

View PostCommunity, on 20 February 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

The battle took place between 19th and 25th February 1943, and is considered one of the milestones of the Tunisia campaign. Commemorate it on the battlefield!
Full news text

 



s1oan #17 Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 43186 battles
  • 639
  • [250H3] 250H3
  • Member since:
    12-05-2010

View Postdovoljno_los, on 20 February 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/news/11/defenders_day/

 

russ always have better specials...

 

I'm sure they will envy our precious LAG. :unsure:



steelers708 #18 Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

    Corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 26189 battles
  • 132
  • Member since:
    07-24-2010

View PostMaxmk6, on 20 February 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

 

Actually WG are correct. El Alamein was British Commonwealth / Empire only - not the 'Allies'. Battle of Kasserine Pass was the first time American land forces fought the Germans (and also Italians, so Axis) in WW2 (and the American's had British support - not from Montgomery's Eighth Army that fought at El Alamein and was to the East, it was parts of the Allied invasion force landed in Operation Torch to the West and coming through the Atlas mountains). So it was the first time the 'Allies' fought the Germans / Axis.

 

Yep, nice special, surprised no Allied arty included in the special as Yank and Brit arty is what swung it (not that I really care though, sky pigs are not my thing)    :-)

 

I'm almost certain the Free French of the 2nd FF Brigade and the Greeks of the 1st Greek Brigade will be delighted to know that all the the time they were fighting for their respective countries independence from German occupation, that they needn't have  bothered as they'd been incorporated into the British Empire.

 

Sarcasm intended.



The_Challenger #19 Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Military Specialist
  • 4493 battles
  • 1,981
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    01-19-2012

View PostTall_Toot, on 20 February 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

"Not only was the battle the first large-scale meeting between the Allies and the Axis"..

 

Even assuming you just mean in the North African campaign, I suppose the battle of El Alamien in October 1942 counts as a minor skirmish does it?

 

You berks talk some utter crap somedays............

 

Oh yeah, nice special btw.. :glasses:

 

 

Was going to explain but I see various threads have already, let me know if you want more info :smile:



Stephan321 #20 Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 1535 battles
  • 624
  • Member since:
    12-10-2011
Fairly good special if someone wants to grind some experience!




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users