681 replies to this topic

invino #1 Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Head of Global Player Relations

• WG Staff
  • 14970 battles
  • [WG] WG

POPULAR

Dear Commanders!

The last couple of weekends have presented both you and us with some very high packet loss and latency issues while playing World of Tanks in the late afternoon and evening. In response to these problems, our engineers have been working around the clock and we have put in place several measures to increase the network performance at our end. We understand how disruptive these issues have been for your gameplay and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you!

We would like you to know more about the root causes we have identified and are currently addressing.

• During our investigations into how to optimise our internal network performance, we identified a piece of network hardware that has been causing some degradation (packet loss) during times of high traffic throughput. This issue was isolated and fixed last week.
  • The second problem is unfortunately not fully under our control and it is also fairly technical. I apologise in advance if this description is a bit too technical, but we want to give you the full picture of the situation.
    • Internet traffic volumes in Europe have been elevated during the same time period that we have monitored latency issues for a large number of our players. Partially, this traffic increase is coming from an unusually high volume of streaming content due to the Olympic Winter Games. This volume increase is placing high demand on ISP peering exchange point capacities. Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have peering agreements and connection points between each other, outside of the major Internet backbones. Usually ISP-to-ISP peering helps reduce the load faced by the major backbones and accordingly provides a better flow of traffic between all parties. That being said, the capacities available for ISP peering are regulated both by agreements between the ISPs and physical limitations at the exchange points. If the demand exceeds the capacity, as it has several times in the last weeks for many of the major ISP peering points, the traffic must be rerouted via lower priority routes, which results in higher latency and packet loss. Cascading effects when several peering capacities are simultaneously exceeded across different ISPs are making this issue a very tough problem to solve for the ISPs.

We have been and are continuing to work very closely together with our ISP to address capacity shortages on these peering agreements during peak times. Since these negotiations are taking place between the ISPs, we are able to exert our influence, but we cannot directly resolve the problem.

• Thirdly and unfortunately again outside of our control, the European network infrastructure had to cope with the largest DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack in history last week, reaching more than 400 Gigabit/s of additional malicious traffic. This caused a severe overload on Internet backbones in Frankfurt, Amsterdam and London as well as additional stress on the peering capacities between providers.

Our promise: Going forward we will be continuing to monitor our internal network and server performance and will swiftly take action on everything that we can directly affect. We will also continue to monitor the overall network traffic conditions and work with our partners to find better alternative routing solutions and increase peering capacities. Additionally, we will increase our level of communication on all the issues we are detecting in our internal networks, as well as any impairments we observe on the major Internet routes to our data centres, so that you are aware of what is going on.

What we cannot promise: While we are confident that our actions to address these problems will help to reduce the severity of the issues, unfortunately at this time we are not yet able to say that you won’t experience additional latency and packet loss issues during peak times. We are hopeful that the ISPs in Europe will address their peering capacity shortages swiftly and that we can give you the “all clear” very soon.

Yours sincerely,

Markus Schill

Director of Customer Relations Europe

deveen23 #2 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37972 battles
  • [322] 322
Speaking for myself, I've been critical of WG during this period, not so much for actual issues, but for the lack of official information. I think most players can appreciate there are things out of your control and you are trying to do your best, as long as there are regular updates on the issue. This is a pretty big step in that direction IMO.

Johnny_Trash #3 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21676 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postinvino, on 21 February 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Additionally, we will increase our level of communication on all the issues we are detecting in our internal networks, as well as any impairments we observe on the major Internet routes to our data centres, so that you are aware of what is going on.

Most important part. Lack of communication has been the main problem. Hope you learned from these mistakes.

Edited by Johnny_Trash, 21 February 2014 - 06:05 PM.

amashi #4 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10051 battles

Very interesting and important info, thanks. 

plz must publish on main site as players are getting really annoyed, this is the most important aspect of the game quality, smooth service, without it any MMO is broken. maybe you can add a service health screen, like google API, Amazon services, Steam etc.. has so users can see service health and all information is there...

Hiltibrant #5 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5862 battles

At least for me, this explanation thows a clear light on what I experienced since Thursday last week; Point 1 seems to be fixed for me, since I can play without any significant packet loss again - thanks for that WG (no sarcasm). The other issue with telia routers etc experiencing issues is still there to some degree (according to PingPlotter), but it doesn't interfere with my gameplay experience. But it's still nice to know that WG acknowledge even this issue and are taking steps to solve it, I hope.

All in all, thanks a lot for the heads-up.

Schultz #6 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 7589 battles
  • [-AA-] -AA-
Thank you very much for clearing some things out. It's really nice that you communicate with your player base. My respects! :honoring:

Dragokar #7 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 38154 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Well atleast you could offer us something for the time that u spent finding the error in your own network hardware. The communication was partly okay, but many official threads get locked after it was declared that the problems are solved. That was clearly not true and led to some angry customers.

backstabber74 #8 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 27394 battles

Thanks for info!

But i have a question.
The lag you feel when aiming. Is that really the packetloss fault?
When you move your crosshair it freezes and then reappeare a millisec later further away,  it stutters.

This makes it hard to aim fast and correct.

Think i started to notice this when the patch with the new dynamic camera was installed.

But i am not completely sure.

And it has been worse since then.

Edited by backstabber74, 21 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

Fr4gs #9 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4186 battles
  • [PUNCH] PUNCH

Thank you for finally acknowledging the server connection issues.

It is a pitty that player compensation is not included in the OP post.

Personally I lost several days of Premium because I refused to play with the existing lag/packet loss. And I also wasted several consumables on battles that just frozen.

In a communication like this one the last paragraph should be about the costumers compensation for the below standard service provided during an extended period of time.

Edited by Fr4gs, 21 February 2014 - 06:41 PM.

0romis #10 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16608 battles

thnx for the info

Some news about compensations?

Edited by 0romis, 21 February 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Lorheem #11 Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30893 battles
  • [SRSLY] SRSLY
Packet loss? Working as intended, no compensation.

MrLost8 #12 Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17774 battles
You should put this on the first page news so anybody can see it and not look for it. And thx for clearing things, i get that there are problems but tell us, don't keep us in the dark.

Edited by DarkFall, 21 February 2014 - 07:12 PM.

Pilger3 #13 Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1556 battles
Thank you for the information.
As so many others have said telling us is most of the solution.
Now I have to find out why there is the same problem on the NA servers.

bbb100 #14 Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17515 battles
  • [CODEX] CODEX

View Postinvino, on 21 February 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Dear Commanders!

The last couple of weekends have presented both you and us with some very high packet loss and latency issues while playing World of Tanks in the late afternoon and evening. In response to these problems, our engineers have been working around the clock and we have put in place several measures to increase the network performance at our end. We understand how disruptive these issues have been for your gameplay and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you!

As if it were weekends only. Every day during peak time the game is beyond playable. I hope you can solve this, it is not worth the premium time currently.

Butter_ball #15 Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7220 battles

Thanks for the info.

Spreading this much earlier would have saved a lot of frustration....

I would suggest a link from the front page with "Current Issues" where such things as this can be listed when they happen. That way there will be less venting in the forums :)

__LOLEK #16 Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40257 battles
  • [KRAWL] KRAWL

And the change of EU1 from Munich to Amstaerdam is not part of the Problem???????  Serious?

and that EU1 and EU2 are probably no longer independent servers but one server with different IP adresses?

and Streams of olympic Games are popular after 20:00 CET????, i think the problem exists as well if i play at 22:00 CET (when all athletes are sleeping)

JD_STEEL #17 Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6187 battles

View Postbackstabber74, on 21 February 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Thanks for info!

But i have a question.
The lag you feel when aiming. Is that really the packetloss fault?
When you move your crosshair it freezes and then reappeare a millisec later further away,  it stutters.

This makes it hard to aim fast and correct.

Think i started to notice this when the patch with the new dynamic camera was installed.

But i am not completely sure.

And it has been worse since then.

I have the same problem today... 70fps/140-200ms ping(normal in Dubai) but when I'm aiming, is not smooth at all, it's delay, didn't enjoy playing today, especially grinding my T71. Is this the effect of Latency and Packet Loss? Thanks...

Dr_Dasslock #18 Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30973 battles
  • [SV] SV

Finally ...

Some info.  

And now i expect a full reimbursement of my permium days gone to the lag god u made in your hardware when its fixed.

Still same laggitylag when the servers hits around 100k players.

Tiger313 #19 Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 39682 battles
  • [-FC-] -FC-

Firstly, thanks for this explanation.

I know you guys are doing what you can to fix things, but you should really make it a point to communicate these things on the portal website with regular updates, so people can see that you are indeed doing what you can to get things fixed. Many moderators in general chat are getting flooded by complaints and verbal abuse, yet they too are kept in limbo, not knowing exactly what is going on. So PLEASE be more communicative, not only to us customers, but also to the mods.

BigEE #20 Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13355 battles

The true test will become on monday. If Olympics was the reason for crappy performance (lag, stutters etc), you don't have any of those on monday. I've been tracking ping/PL quite closely for few days now, at first the problem seemed to be the network between my computer and WG server but lately all the PL/high ping issues happen at the WG server, not at the network between.

I certainly hope that the olympics streaming going around will be proven as the reason for this mess and not just an excuse.

Also tagged with Announcement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users