Airborne Museum Hartenstein

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Krogenator #1 Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16784 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

OK so I am on vacation in the Netherlands and am staying in a town 40min from a bridge that has a lot more to say for my interest in WW2 and the history in general then any other one thing.

The reason? When I was a kid(10-12ish) I was aloud to stay up late a night and see a movie called "A bridge too far" with my father as my mother was out of town on business.

If you haven't seen the movie I would recommend it,but I don't know if it is nostalgia or it actually is a great movie as I have not seen the movie for a good few years.

The movie is about Operation Market-Garden and particularly the bridge in Arnhem(at the time being held by germans) that crosses the Rhine.

And as I was going to Arnhem to look at a bridge,I decided to also go to the "Airborne Museum Hartenstein" in Arnhem.

This museum is built on historical ground as the main building of the Museum was used as HQ by the british airborne troopers until the ground forces had made their way to the bridge and pushed past it.

You can see the old building on the right and an expansion to the building on the left side of the image,Under the expansion there is also a underground part of the museum.

Outside the Museum there were some field guns and a tank parked.

Being the gun nut I am,I started telling my bf how to operate the 17-pdr and did not notice him taking pictures.

Explaining the loading breach and the functions the loaders have to go true before firing.

Explaining the aiming mechanics and the gunners job's

After a short lessons in field guns we went inside(don't worry I did not forget about the tank,saving it) and took a look around.

As the gun nut I am my bf asked me to name all the guns on display before he could find them on the information board next to the showcases.

Not really hard when you get guns like this.

I even knew more then the info boards did. And a interesting thing about the lowest Lee Enfield No.04 is that I knew the rifle itself (had seen it in a documentary on discovery channel where they were digging up fields in hopes of finding historical artifacts for museums.The rifle was signed JR on the side and had 3 lines scratched inn it to indicate 3 kills.It was traced down to a british soldier that died the last day of defending Arnhem before the reinforcements came true).

Then I suddenly started laughing at one of the displaycases and my bf looked at me like a questionmark.Lets see if any of you guys can spot something wrong with this German Volksgrenadier

OK so I promised a tank and here we go.And fore size reference I am 1m 89cm.

+1 From me to the first one to tell me who used it during the war and what model it is(M4 is not enough info). I Have already looked up the history of this specific tank as I got the production numbers off the tank.It was never in any big battles but it has done its job.

And at the end,if I look shabby.On vacation,dressing comfy and not giving a sh*t.

elFred #2 Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24042 battles
  • [BIMA] BIMA
Sorry for the nekrobumping but I bookmarked this thread cause I want to know what was funny about that Volksgrenadier :)

ricksbt #3 Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17928 battles
And I want to know 'Which Tank'!

Krogenator #4 Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16784 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

Guess I will say it then as nobody guessed on ether.

He has a "Bren Gun L4" and it is a British LMG.Not something a Volksgrenadier Would use.

Bren Gun L4 was a conversion to 7,62mm NATO rounds that was made in the 50's.

First version of the Bren gun was made in 1938 (mk1).

Last known users of the Bren gun is the "Irish Reserve Defence Forces" that had it in "active"service up to 2006.

The Tank was a "Canadian M4A4 Sherman V" that saw service up to the end of the war and was stored in a army base in France until they were outdated,this one was given to the museum and 28 others were sold.

OH and I just noticed the pic of the museum it self is missing.....

Edited by Krogenator, 02 March 2014 - 10:44 PM.

ricksbt #5 Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17928 battles

I thought you might have misidentified the LMG as a Bren! :smile:

Its not a Bren. Its a Czechoslovak ZB vz. 26, used by the Germans as the MG 26(t).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZB_vz._26

The Gas Block is all wrong for the Bren, as is the positioning of the Bipod and loads of other details. The ZB vz. 26 did, however, inspire many of the features of the Bren.

I was hoping the Sherman was directly related to Market Garden in some way, such as being Lord Carington's tank. I have an interest in these vehicles as the father of a friend of mine earned an MC during the crossing of the start line by the Irish Guards.

For those than don't know, Acting Major the Lord Carington was the commander of the leading tanks of the Guards Armoured Division. He won an MC for holding the bridge at Nijmegen. He also took the fateful decision to halt for the night which meant that the armoured column arrived after the bridge at Arnham had been lost. This decision is controversial but I have recently found an on-line article that strongly suggests he was influenced by the mapping he had. Lord Carington went on to be First Lord of the Admiralty, Foreign Secretary and Defence Secretary. He later became Secretary General of NATO.

Edited by ricksbt, 02 March 2014 - 11:10 PM.

Krogenator #6 Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16784 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

I feel like a muppet now.

I was so sure it was a L4 but looking at the gun a 2nd time I do see it is not a Bren gun

Thanks for pointing out the ZB. My knowledge of WW2 guns tend to stick to the Russian,British,American,Norwegian,Japanese and Germans. I know some of the Italian,French and Chinese ones but anything outside that I tend to not know

If it helps the tank did see combat but no big well known battles,It did come ashore on normandy but long after the combat there had ended.

It(and 7 other M4's) also had an engagement with a Tiger and survived(not 3 of them).

ricksbt #7 Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17928 battles

View PostKrogenator, on 02 March 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

Thanks for pointing out the ZB. My knowledge of WW2 guns tend to stick to the Russian,British,American,Norwegian,Japanese and Germans. I know some of the Italian,French and Chinese ones but anything outside that I tend to not know

Here's another one that quite a few people don't know about, that lumpy looking coax you see on British WWII tanks. The British version of the Czechoslovak ZB-53, the Besa. It's why the UK needed stocks of 7.92 x 57mm Mauser rounds. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia....esa_machine_gun

Oh, and the object of my interest is Lieutenant John Barrington Pellew MC, B(?) Tp CO, 1 Sqn, 2nd Armoured Battalion IRISH GUARDS 1944

The tank on the right is believed to be his, knocked out early on 17 Sept 1944. The Firefly to the left is that of SSM (WO2) William Parkes of No. 3 Squadron. In other photographs SSM Parkes can be seen hanging out of his hatch, dead.

The two lead Squadrons crossed the Start Line and promptly lost 9 tanks from 24 in two minutes to AT Guns and Panzerschrecks. Lt Quinan's tank was knocked out and he was wounded as he bailed out. He imediately guided another tank out of the killing zone. He then scouted on foot (the squadron was surrounded by enemy infantry and still in combat) for an hour, identifying enemy positions to his Sqn CO. When the advance started again another Tp CO took over B Tp but at the end of the day Lt Quinan insisted on ensuring his troop were in proper defencive positions and properly provided for. Only then did he allow the shrapnel wounds to his leg to be treated.

Lt Quinan was only in action on one further day - when Guardsman Eddie Charlton from his tank crew won the last VC of WWII

Krogenator #8 Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16784 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Postricksbt, on 03 March 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....esa_machine_gun

Lt Quinan was only in action on one further day - when Guardsman Eddie Charlton from his tank crew won the last VC of WWII

Actually knew about that gun....but only because I read up on the Light Tank Mk. VI when we got in in WoT.

And thanks for the hint about Guardsman,Love reading up on VC stories and even the ones that have been denied the VC.

Oh also, to everyone that does not have BBC and also like VC stories or war stories I recommend this and/or this Youtube video.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users