How to play with the Hetzer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

pixartist #1 Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
So yeah, how am I supposed to play with it? When I stay back and snipe, I barely get any kills, because the accuracy is really weak, but when I charge in I get 1 shotted by higher tiers. When I move with the team but stay at the back of the pack, it's still very luck based whether I get some shots off, or just instantly die...

Faykin #2 Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
This may not be any help or consolidation but doing as you said is basically the name of the game with a TD ...
try finding a good vantage point near base ... not behind at the maps edge, go somewhat offsides towards the charging part of your team and take a defensive/sniping position in the bushes ... no one expects you to kill right of the bat and every landed hit you get gives XP's anyway.
And if anyone expects or tells you to charge forward ... since some mistake the TD with a hunter ... tell em to suck your barrel

Addi64 #3 Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Hetzer had one of the biggest radio range for it's tier when I remember from beta. doesn't sound much, but you will be able to shoot at people form imense distances. on some maps that is really something people in T4 don't expect.
So as said. go somewhere where you really have a good view, and wait for your targets to appear. use the big HE gun. it can one shot lots of times
in city maps, try to place yourself where you only need to focus on 1 direction.

Scrap #4 Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Hetzers have only one truly good thing, they are really hard to spot. Someone had a percentage based chart that showed it, can't find it right now.

So hide in a bush and snipe is sadly the only way to go. Also I would say to remain with the most accurate gun and not the 350 damage derp gun as it's really inaccurate. Unless you like close quarters fighting, then it's a godsend.

Faykin #5 Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
exactly as Kampfiltis says ... and the Hetzers top Radio has 700m range, if your team knows wtf it's doing they'll herd everything into your path without letting the enemy come close

Addi64 #6 Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yes the Hetzer is a huge step back from the marder, but it is not too bad, apart from the speed.
marder had incredible view range it could benefit from, and the hetzer has huge radio range. get the 700m radio as soon as possible and benefit from sniping. at that ranges you can usually take your time

Metalheart #7 Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Totally different tactics here - no premium account. First of all - getting 105mm HE. In fact, I grinded all the way through Hetzer and Stug just using 105mm - you have power to damage even KV; I invested in rammer, so the grind wasn't that bad. Its totally different machine when using this gun, and you know every hit will get you damage and therefore - credits and experience.
Generally - just stay with the pack, you don't need (imho of course) any of the better radios (as they're used only in Hetzer as far as I remember), the best engine is a must-have on the other hand. Back in the closed beta, without 220HP engine Hetzer was slow and I didn't enjoy playing with it at all, now its really big difference.

And remember, since you're not a sniper with 105mm HE, you need to shot close targets; I managed to one-shot a Hetzer more than once, and all vehicles Tier 3 and less. Best round with this cannon? 8 kills on Prokhorovka with Stug.

Hope this helps. Cya on the battlefield.

pixartist #8 Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostMetalheart, on 05 May 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

Totally different tactics here - no premium account. First of all - getting 105mm HE. In fact, I grinded all the way through Hetzer and Stug just using 105mm - you have power to damage even KV; I invested in rammer, so the grind wasn't that bad. Its totally different machine when using this gun, and you know every hit will get you damage and therefore - credits and experience.
Generally - just stay with the pack, you don't need (imho of course) any of the better radios (as they're used only in Hetzer as far as I remember), the best engine is a must-have on the other hand. Back in the closed beta, without 220HP engine Hetzer was slow and I didn't enjoy playing with it at all, now its really big difference.

And remember, since you're not a sniper with 105mm HE, you need to shot close targets; I managed to one-shot a Hetzer more than once, and all vehicles Tier 3 and less. Best round with this cannon? 8 kills on Prokhorovka with Stug.

Hope this helps. Cya on the battlefield.
Okay, the 105mm HE ? Do you mean The 105mm StuH with HE ammunition ?

Metalheart #9 Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postpixartist, on 05 May 2011 - 06:27 PM, said:

Okay, the 105mm HE ? Do you mean The 105mm StuH with HE ammunition ?

Yes, 10,5cm StuH 42 L/28, using only HE rounds.

pixartist #10 Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostMetalheart, on 05 May 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

Yes, 10,5cm StuH 42 L/28, using only HE rounds.
are HE rounds generally better with the hetzer? Because I don't have the XP yet to get the 105mm and I'm having problems dealing with even single enemy tanks right now. Often they have >80% left when they kill me. Also, how am I supposed to get the 12k xp for the next tank? I get like 100-400 per game

Metalheart #11 Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I must say, its my opinion - but I think its the best cannon for Hetzer. As I said before, don't get the radios (3600 and 5600 exp - a lot wasted, since you can't use them on any other vehicle), just the suspension, best engine and 105mm. It took me some time to realise its best for me, but I know a lot of Hetzer drivers wouldn't agree. Still, I was rather angry with Hetzer when using normal guns and I was rather happy with HE - when you hit you get the credits and exp. Took me 76 battles (82 kills) on not-premium account to get the Stug, average experience 274 - not a lot, but for sure funnier than using 75mm and hoping for a penetration; with HE - you don't need to penetrate, you need to be close enough to hit.

How to get 12k exp for Stug? You just need to play and enjoy, experience will come itself.
BTW, I'm facing 64k exp grind now for a Jagdpanther, so 12k seems rather fast for me.

It worked for me, if it works for you - time will tell, I hope so.

MrCaffeLatte #12 Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yep, I ignored the radios, got the 10.5 and started hetzing like a hetzer wearing a fez.

maxmekker #13 Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Nice post, will read it when I get home and try out. I don't like the hetzer, got it, and are not using it. Yes it's low and hard to spot if you pick a good place, but I have more fun with the merder ll. Stacking up exp after work ,  before the hardcore gamers logg on :-)

Kazomir #14 Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Go along with your team and your 105 charged with HE ammo, use your good frontal armor, poke and prod around their defences, flank them from behind and use your 105 to crush enemyes 2-3 tiers above and one shot everything below you from close range while hugging them with your frontal armor so they cant penetrate you most times. At least thats how i played with it, assault gun mode.

3Raven #15 Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I agree with the other posters recommending the 105 with HE rounds. Hetzer often gets put in matches with numerous heavies in it and unless you get lucky and get an up-the-kilt shot you won't be able to do much. The 105 however does very well once you get used to it's limitations. I also found it's performance is heavily dependent on crew skills. Once you crew levels up a bit it'll get a bit easier.

Basically follow the advice of skulking in the underbrush. Pick a position with good lanes of fire (ddepends on map, you learn them by doing them ;)) and stay the hell away from the front line since most players will (in my experience from both sides of this partiucular fence) focus a Hetzer to burn in down fast - the 105 can really really ruin your day when it detracks, damages and kills half your crew in one shot in you heavy ;).

Rickenbacker #16 Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostKampfiltis, on 05 May 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

Hetzer had one of the biggest radio range for it's tier when I remember from beta. doesn't sound much, but you will be able to shoot at people form imense distances. on some maps that is really something people in T4 don't expect.
So as said. go somewhere where you really have a good view, and wait for your targets to appear. use the big HE gun. it can one shot lots of times
in city maps, try to place yourself where you only need to focus on 1 direction.

The radio range isn't that much of an advantage, for two reasons:

- The Hetzer radios ONLY fit in the Hetzer, so unless you plan to keep the Hetzer for a while, you're wasting XP researching them.
- Even if you do spot things further away, none of the Hetzer guns are all that accurate, and lose penetration at range.

Personally I found it more fun to be aggressive, tag along with the heavies, and crit things with the big HE gun. The low profile and sloped armor also helped me bounce quite a few shots.

KIA_Sigismund #17 Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
One question to the OP: what crewpercentage is in your vehicle? I don't remember the hetzer as inaccurate... Please remember that a grind in a new vehicle is always a pain in the bum with only 50% crew. You really should have the credits to get at least 75% crew with new vehicles you use, especially if that new vehicle is the focus of the grind you are doing.

alexff #18 Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I have your tank and I just go on them but first I chek out if the enemy tank is looking at me

ammarmar #19 Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Don't "hug" people (like someone suggested) when using HE ammo on 105mm. You will not only hurt them but yourself as well.

Generally, I had best luck with Hetzer when playing city maps and using 105mm. It is small and rather agile, so I was able to flank people and penetrate their sides/rear with HE ammo (with disastrous effects).

Sniping is also possible, even with 105. You are hard to detect so you often have lots of time to carefully aim. Just remember that these shells travel slower so a bigger adjustment is necessary for moving targets.

Hetzer's front armor is OK, but not much against guns bigger than 37mm, so don't depend on it too much.