Jump to content


Not-so-clever Fox


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

smith841 #1 Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17675 battles
  • 466
  • Member since:
    07-31-2011

So there I am. Not yet 18 years old and driving a CVR(W) Fox armoured car on my first major exercise in Germany. Our troop of 6 vehicles had been on the go for 10 days, being the eyes and ears of the brigade non-stop. It was about two in the morning and the troop was in position on a wooded ridgeline looking out for the enemy while the rest of the brigade fell back. Engines were off and we were parked in cover in silence, ready to move at a moments notice when we got the word on the radio.

 

One hour passed, then two.

 

One skill a soldier learns very quickly is to get some sleep whenever and wherever he can. So it was that both me, the vehicle commander and gunner all fell asleep in the Fox. Then I heard my commander over the intercom, "start up". I promptly started the engine and turned the headlights on!! However I was still asleep! Suddenly the troop sergeant was at the front of the vehicle throwing something at me. "Turn those f&$king lights off! and kill that engine. What the f*%k are you doing" He climbed onto the vehicle and looked into the turret. He commander and gunner were also asleep!

 

The commander had given me the order whilestill asleep and dreaming!! The incident was kept quiet from the rest of the squadron but our crew was point vehicle for the rest of the exercise.

 

True story.



Kevbar #2 Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 16526 battles
  • 1,209
  • Member since:
    01-22-2013

Didn't know there was a wooded ridgeline in Himmelsdorf :trollface:

 

+1 for the anecdote anyway



EW_Bill70 #3 Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

    Private

  • Beta Tester
  • 3393 battles
  • 35
  • [GITS-] GITS-
  • Member since:
    11-23-2010
Good story Smith lmao ...........    have a couple like that myself Doh ..... oh those were the days eyy ,,as for your comment " get sleep when ever possible " Yup definately learnt that one as a Tank soldier ffs .....  !!

TheKroo #4 Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

    Product Manager

  • WG Staff
  • 10274 battles
  • 5,639
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    08-24-2010

View Postsmith841, on 02 March 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

So there I am. Not yet 18 years old and driving a CVR(W) Fox armoured car on my first major exercise in Germany. Our troop of 6 vehicles had been on the go for 10 days, being the eyes and ears of the brigade non-stop. It was about two in the morning and the troop was in position on a wooded ridgeline looking out for the enemy while the rest of the brigade fell back. Engines were off and we were parked in cover in silence, ready to move at a moments notice when we got the word on the radio.

 

One hour passed, then two.

 

One skill a soldier learns very quickly is to get some sleep whenever and wherever he can. So it was that both me, the vehicle commander and gunner all fell asleep in the Fox. Then I heard my commander over the intercom, "start up". I promptly started the engine and turned the headlights on!! However I was still asleep! Suddenly the troop sergeant was at the front of the vehicle throwing something at me. "Turn those f&$king lights off! and kill that engine. What the f*%k are you doing" He climbed onto the vehicle and looked into the turret. He commander and gunner were also asleep!

 

The commander had given me the order whilestill asleep and dreaming!! The incident was kept quiet from the rest of the squadron but our crew was point vehicle for the rest of the exercise.

 

True story.

 

Made my day!

 

Mind if I share this on our FB page? :)



DamoclesIV #5 Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 24883 battles
  • 412
  • Member since:
    04-27-2011

M113 Portuguese tank Commander to driver ... 

 

" go easy boy ... if i get even 1 drop of mud on my cammo we will have a serious talk later..."

 

Not-so-clever Fox

 


Edited by SebioC, 03 April 2014 - 02:25 PM.


smith841 #6 Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17675 battles
  • 466
  • Member since:
    07-31-2011

View PostHunter1911, on 03 April 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

 

Made my day!

 

Mind if I share this on our FB page? :)


np



smith841 #7 Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17675 battles
  • 466
  • Member since:
    07-31-2011

View PostSebioC, on 03 April 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

M113 Portuguese tank Commander to driver ... 

 

" go easy boy ... if i get even 1 drop of mud on my cammo we will have a serious talk later..."

 

Not-so-clever Fox

 


lol. I think the inside will need cleaning too. That's the worst part, getting cuts and bruises on your hands trying to clean around all the sharp metal bits on the inside...more cotton waste please.






6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users