Jump to content


"The Forum Bar" - Off-Topic Thread - "Happy New Year! " - 140k Posts!


  • Please log in to reply
143104 replies to this topic

Pansenmann #143041 Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:18 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 39424 battles
  • 15,314
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 23 November 2020 - 07:53 AM, said:

It has... wheels?

Don't think I've ever heard of a historically accurate trebuchet being mounted on a wheeled platform.

Turntable, sure, but wheels?

why not? :)
it helps counteract the force so it doesnt tip over


Edited by Pansenmann, 23 November 2020 - 09:19 PM.


Captain_Kremen0 #143042 Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:08 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 42950 battles
  • 2,958
  • [-WR--] -WR--
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011

View PostPansenmann, on 23 November 2020 - 08:18 PM, said:

why not? :)
it helps counteract the force so it doesnt tip over

perhaps he was expecting historical accuracy like WG.



jabster #143043 Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12879 battles
  • 29,448
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostPansenmann, on 23 November 2020 - 08:18 PM, said:

why not? :)
it helps counteract the force so it doesnt tip over

 

Being bored I did a little google research and it seems not only did some of them have wheels but they also made it more efficient.



Nishi_Kinuyo #143044 Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:55 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 11870 battles
  • 8,027
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostPansenmann, on 23 November 2020 - 09:18 PM, said:

why not? :)
it helps counteract the force so it doesnt tip over

Its a siege weapon, it doesn't really need to move.

That castle in the distance it is going to shoot at? It ain't moving.

View Postjabster, on 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

 

Being bored I did a little google research and it seems not only did some of them have wheels but they also made it more efficient.

Source?

Because again, if you're firing at a stationary target, there's not much reason to have wheels.



Evilier_than_Skeletor #143045 Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24514 battles
  • 1,037
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016
I remember watching a show where they built Roman siege weapons. It was probably on History channel. They noticed that a catapult with wheels fires a lot further than one without. Similarly a trebuchet with a swiveling weight like in siege master Pansen's is better than one where the weight simply drops down. Iirc in both cases a lot of the energy is spent on pushing the device to the ground and can be directed better by these means. Don't know if combining both gives maximum oomph.

Nishi_Kinuyo #143046 Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:29 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 11870 battles
  • 8,027
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 24 November 2020 - 01:14 PM, said:

I remember watching a show where they built Roman siege weapons. It was probably on History channel. They noticed that a catapult with wheels fires a lot further than one without. Similarly a trebuchet with a swiveling weight like in siege master Pansen's is better than one where the weight simply drops down. Iirc in both cases a lot of the energy is spent on pushing the device to the ground and can be directed better by these means. Don't know if combining both gives maximum oomph.

That's why they usually got a large base to spread the energy around.

Spoiler

And with the optimum counterweight ratio being 133 to 1 compared to the projectile; that's a lot of weight.

So afaik, the best use of "wheels" is like this:

Spoiler

 



Pansenmann #143047 Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:48 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 39424 battles
  • 15,314
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

to my knowledge the rule of thumb was something like 100x weight of what you want tho throw + weight of the throwing arm
and yes, I have to redesign the mounting arms, it's a bit wiggly and the sling is not releasing consistently
also might have to adjust the lever for better flight path.

 

the wheels act like a dampener for the force induced by the counterweigth

so the whole base also swings back and forth by a bit.

 

have a video of that
 

:harp:

 


Edited by Pansenmann, 24 November 2020 - 11:08 PM.


UrQuan #143048 Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:03 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 23823 battles
  • 8,153
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 24 November 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

Its a siege weapon, it doesn't really need to move.

That castle in the distance it is going to shoot at? It ain't moving.

Source?

Because again, if you're firing at a stationary target, there's not much reason to have wheels.

 

Googled a bit & seems the wheels were there to absorb energy better & throw projectiles further, but they serve no mobility function. They did prevent tip-overs or destruction of high power trebuchets tho, as they dampened & absorbed energy better then a solid platform.

Wheels were not always used, so guess it likely depends on material quality & how good the builders were I suppose.

Source: Wheels/no wheels



Nishi_Kinuyo #143049 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:09 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 11870 battles
  • 8,027
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostUrQuan, on 25 November 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

 

Googled a bit & seems the wheels were there to absorb energy better & throw projectiles further, but they serve no mobility function. They did prevent tip-overs or destruction of high power trebuchets tho, as they dampened & absorbed energy better then a solid platform.

Wheels were not always used, so guess it likely depends on material quality & how good the builders were I suppose.

Source: Wheels/no wheels

The ones shown there look rather low-powered though compared to what I had in mind and linked...

Also, what I showed had a quite a bit larger footprint touching the ground.

So I guess that given the design and power, it might be the better option.


Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 25 November 2020 - 09:35 AM.


jabster #143050 Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:22 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12879 battles
  • 29,448
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostUrQuan, on 24 November 2020 - 11:03 PM, said:

 

Googled a bit & seems the wheels were there to absorb energy better & throw projectiles further, but they serve no mobility function. They did prevent tip-overs or destruction of high power trebuchets tho, as they dampened & absorbed energy better then a solid platform.

Wheels were not always used, so guess it likely depends on material quality & how good the builders were I suppose.

Source: Wheels/no wheels


That was one of the ones I read from google research. It’s not a question I’d ever really considered but I did think it was interesting that wheels actually made it more efficient as if pushed I’d have thought it was the other way around.



UrQuan #143051 Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:40 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 23823 battles
  • 8,153
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

View Postjabster, on 25 November 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:


That was one of the ones I read from google research. It’s not a question I’d ever really considered but I did think it was interesting that wheels actually made it more efficient as if pushed I’d have thought it was the other way around.

 

Indeed, surprised me as well. Didn't knew originally trebuchets could had wheels (when seen in media, I only recall the flat base ones, like Nishi linked). Looked deeper in it & it is fascinating. Apparently, our knowledge on medieval trebuchets is limited because very little survived to this day besides inaccurate schematics & drawings (which often had wheels) + art (which often where without wheels). Early modern reconstructions often left out the wheels, because they seemed useless (couldn't move it with wheels, so why wheels?) & this continued to this day.

From what I could read, wheeled variants were used in medieval times, along non wheeled variants, but it is unknown which was most common. Size didn't matter for whether wheels were included in the design or not, so seemed to have been a builder preference (albeit they were aware wheeled ones could throw further). 

 

Here is an interesting article on Warwolf (one of the largest trebuchets built) where they can't agree on its construction & hence had two variants built: Building a monster trebuchet: Warwolf



jabster #143052 Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:33 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12879 battles
  • 29,448
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostUrQuan, on 25 November 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

 

Indeed, surprised me as well. Didn't knew originally trebuchets could had wheels (when seen in media, I only recall the flat base ones, like Nishi linked). Looked deeper in it & it is fascinating. Apparently, our knowledge on medieval trebuchets is limited because very little survived to this day besides inaccurate schematics & drawings (which often had wheels) + art (which often where without wheels). Early modern reconstructions often left out the wheels, because they seemed useless (couldn't move it with wheels, so why wheels?) & this continued to this day.

From what I could read, wheeled variants were used in medieval times, along non wheeled variants, but it is unknown which was most common. Size didn't matter for whether wheels were included in the design or not, so seemed to have been a builder preference (albeit they were aware wheeled ones could throw further). 

 

Here is an interesting article on Warwolf (one of the largest trebuchets built) where they can't agree on its construction & hence had two variants built: Building a monster trebuchet: Warwolf


A YT channel I’ve found interesting is Tod’s Workshop where he looks at the effectiveness of ancient to medieval weapons and armour and explores some of the ‘facts’ around them often involving what is later going to be part of his Sunday roast.


Edited by jabster, 25 November 2020 - 01:35 PM.


Pansenmann #143053 Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:09 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 39424 battles
  • 15,314
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

Legos have different physics properties compared to all wood structures,

I had inspiration of the LOTR movie trebuchets and google-fu. :)

 

need to make the whole mount a bit more sturdy (equilateral triangle)

and add swiveling wheel base



Volfrahm #143054 Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:49 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 8975 battles
  • 2,645
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    10-24-2014
:bush:

Pansenmann #143055 Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:47 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 39424 battles
  • 15,314
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostVolfrahm, on 28 November 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

:bush:




WaheedTheAlmighty #143056 Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:38 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 23950 battles
  • 2,775
  • [M16A1] M16A1
  • Member since:
    09-28-2012
Not the Type Heavy you'd expect


Private_Miros #143057 Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 32836 battles
  • 13,932
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

Trying my hand at brewing my own ginger beer.

 

Cultivating my own ginger bug went well, now I've bottled the ginger extract with some sugar and some of the bug, and let's hope that in a day or 3-4 it gets all fizzy and ready to refrigerate and drink.



Nishi_Kinuyo #143058 Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:58 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 11870 battles
  • 8,027
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

So I picked up another CK3 playthrough, this time with ruler designer.

First up: the ruler designer is very thought out in how it works.

You can freely pick your faith, culture, traits, etc. with a soft cap to allow custom rulers while still being able to get achievements. Going past the limit is also no problem and thus far I haven't seen an upper limit to how ridiculously strong you can make your ruler. The appearance customisation is a wee bit more expanded upon than in CK2, and best showcased in the video below. The only real downside at this time is the inability to customise your dynasty's coat of arms, so you'll have to settle for a randomise button for now. Ditto for your realm's coat of arms.

A few more options than I cared for at the time I started my playthrough. :D

 

I've also been on-and-off playing Grandia II, which is an old dreamcast game from 2000 (got the PC version, of course... twice.).

Graphically, it was quite decent at the time, afaik, and the story has been fun so far. The combat system is quite good even.

Really should part one as well sometime, which fortunately isn't related story-wise.

 

With BDO I've been busy getting two more characters to lvl 61, one of which I'll eventually delete once something better comes along.

I've also relocated my main base of operations to the recently added region of O'dyllita.

Some of the reasons for relocation were the relative low player population around there, as well as the gorgeous looks of the region.

Spoiler

As for tanks, I've been player less than usual for a while. Not exactly a burnout but more of a temporary lack of interest I suppose.

On the other hand, I got started on an alt account for the referral program thing, along with joining a RL friend's clan to have some fun with.

Naturally, I went up the IJA medium line. :P

Stats are quite decent so far, although I hopefully care less for that account, since partly, I want to use it to have fun platooning with my friend (not quite chaos, but you get the idea).

Got the Chi-To thanks to the new player thing (gotta say, it is a vast improvement from what we had before this), and only need the engine and radio now for it.

After that, it's going to be grinding the Chi-Ri and hopefully onwards from that.

Going to be mostly free to play with the minor exception of me having bought the Chi-Nu Kai (remember, Kai stands for Improved :teethhappy:) for that account due to a nice discount during the daily deals thing earlier this month.

And also a big oof, for doing the stock grinds with 75% crews and such.

Especially noticeable with my Ke-Ho.

I'll probably also go up the IJA heavy line because reasons.

 

For my main account, I've been grinding some exp on the P.43 Bis in anticipation of the Italian heavies (late Jan?), and haven't played much else yet.

Only got up to... battle pass level 7 so far.

Will probably play more during the holidays.

 

And finally, I took a week off mid-nov for an extended visit of my parents, which I hadn't seen in like half a year.

Had a nice time chatting and relaxing.



TankSchmidt #143059 Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 26067 battles
  • 9,275
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-03-2011

Its that time of the year again

 

Edit: GLO Ho Ho


Edited by TankSchmidt, 04 December 2020 - 04:08 PM.


Nishi_Kinuyo #143060 Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:42 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 11870 battles
  • 8,027
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostTankSchmidt, on 04 December 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

Its that time of the year again

 

Edit: GLO Ho Ho

Got a new year avatar too now.

But before we can celebrate christmas, we have to celebrate saint nicholas first.

Spoiler

 






100 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 100 guests, 0 anonymous users