War!...What is it good for?..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Not_DangerUXB_Thats4sure #1 Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 9516 battles

You will have to excuse me a little here while i digress....

Today i heard the news that my mother will go and see her brother that she has not seen for 51 years...she will meet him next week when she visits his grave in Anglesy in the UK..

She has been searching for his grave since this time as he died of leukemia when he was just 17 and my cousin found his grave using a website  and will go with her...she was just 9,,

she is 68 now!!...But the funny thing is apparently the grave is very well kept and catered for so mabye my mother has other family she doesnt know about??..

They were both part of a government effort when WW2 was on for all kids from Liverpool/UK to be evacuated away from their families to the countryside due to the constant bombing..My mother 

and her brother got sent to Plas newyd/Anglesy in North Wales and after years there her brother ended up 'Apprentice gamekeeper' at the lord of anglesy estate where they both lived..

Today is a sad day for me as it all hits home what happened many years ago and even continues to this day in other countries..(My mother gets to meet her brother!!)...

Please if you have any stories from your parents or even your own thoughts (i dont care what country you are from..loss is universal and war only benefits a few).. please add to this post...And may i convey my 

thoughts and respect to all that have fallen in times of 'WAR' in the European theatre..

..So the younger generation of tankers never forget!!??

Many thanks for looking

Anti

Edited by Anti_NWO, 07 March 2014 - 10:47 PM.

steview162 #2 Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 33005 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
Bravo for the effort

LUNSSI #3 Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14730 battles

Thank you for sharing such a personal story. I cant begin to tell stories of my family im sure most of us have them.

Grandfather lost an eye in the war I remember this pirate like big handed figure who towered over even my father.

Other grandfather flew for the luftwaffe instead of being executed then passed info to the allies. Was given a house as a thank you upon his emiggration to the UK.

I had freinds who's grandmother was a message runner in Poland in the war part of the underground movement.

We all die we all love. It is a crime against nature that we wreak such havoc upon one another. I often wonder what else is there to cull mankind. maybe the virus will teach us the meaning of brotherly love!

Ubertoaster #4 Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15795 battles
  • [TAHK] TAHK

My great-grandfather (my father's grandfather) was declared a fascist and an "enemy of the people" some time in December 1944  and was hung in January by the "righteous people's court". He was the mayor of a small village near Vidin, Bulgaria. Around 3000 people (mainly politicians, teachers, religious people, non-communists and even the Savior of the Bulgarian Jewish population Dimitar Peshev, who got a verdict for "antisemitism" and "unconditional help of the fascist regime" (but was not executed)) got massacred by this made-up court between September 1944 and May 1945. Now we have a monument commemorating their actions. Any attempt to show unbiased history is met with fierce opposition, due to the fact that the entire government is composed of ex-communists. "Why are you trying to make nazi and fascist martyrs?!", "These were the people that got us into the war! Savages!"

Unfortunately this isn't the end of the story.

Between 1941 and 9th of September 1944 Bulgaria was subjected to bombing campaigns, because we had a token war with the US and UK. On the 17th of April 1944 Sofia was again a subject of Churchill's passionate hate for Bulgaria. The records state that there were 350 bombers, accompanied by 100 fighters that dropped some 2500 bombs and 128 exploding items and toys (selfless actions of brave airmen to wage war on children, can you imagine that?!). Another one of my great-grandfathers was killed. One of around 2000 civilian casualties. Some 3 or 4 years ago, the american embassy decided to dedicate a monument to dead american airmen. In Sofia! The same that were waging war on children, innocent people, cultural and historical buildings (the largest synagogue on the Balkans wasn't destroyed by the nazis - imagine that!).

So what's the moral? Both of them were buried in some unknown mass graves, just like the thousands of other victims. We *have* a monument for the victims of both the bombings and the communists (some 250 kilometers apart), but as long as the exact opposite monuments stand, all the victims remembrance is going to be desecrated. You shouldn't remember the tragic events by the cause, but by the toll.

Edited by Ubertoaster, 08 March 2014 - 12:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users