T71 - Review and Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

JoreyTK #1 Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

The T71 American Light Tank is considered by many the best tier 7 scout. Personally, I feel it's the best tier 7 tank in the game. The combination of auto loader, high camo rating and mobility make this tank very deadly if played properly.

Loadout:

Vents, Coated Optics and Vertical Stabalizer are my recommended equipment.  I decided against camo net and binoculars because one of the strengths of this tank is it's mobility and on the move camo.  APCR are the standard rounds which is the majority I load and but I keep 18 HEAT when I can't move in for side & rear shots. For consumables I use a basic first aid kit, basic repair kit and automatic fire extinguisher.

Crew Skills:

Commander - Sixth Sense, Brothers in Arms, Camo, Situational Awareness, Repairs, (Recon)

Gunner - Camo, Brothers in Arms, Deadeye, Snap Shot, Repairs, (Safe Stowage)

Driver - Camo, Brother in Arms, Smooth Ride, Repairs, Off Road Driving, (Clutch braking then switch to preventative maintenance once it reaches 100%)

Sixth Sense is a must on every tank, Brothers in Arms because you want to max all your skills and obviously camo since your main protection is not being seen. Situational Awareness since vision control is such a fundamental part of this game plus with many high tier tanks having a high view range you want to increase the chances of spotting them as early as possible. Deadeye for added critical hit chance. Snap shot and smooth ride since you'll be doing some moving while shooting. My sixth choice for each is a long ways away but I've listed them in brackets.

Protection:

As mentioned above the camo rating and mobility are this tanks only forms of protection. Armor is basically non existent however you will bounce or your tracks will eat the occasional shell but don't count on it. With only 840 hit points you want to protect your health since you won't live long if you get focus fired. Never trade shots with anyone, always get behind hard cover, use terrain to block them, run away or move to a flanking position.

Firepower:

Most scouts have poor firepower when faced against against higher tiers opponents however with 175 penetration on the standard ammo and 210 with premium ammo you can still penetrate most weak spots. However, trying to shoot the side of some tanks are very difficult such as the IS-7, J100, etc so get behind them or load HEAT if you need to. Special note is NOT to fire at tracks when you have HEAT loaded, the mechanics of HEAT ammo is that it will not penetrate spaced armor, which tracks are considered. Accuracy is mediocre with 0.39 so you will miss some long range shots. Aim time is close to 2 seconds after vents and brothers in arms.

Your gun carries 6 shots for an average burst of 900 damage, if you can unload your whole clip you have to wait about 18.75 seconds to do it all over again assuming you have BIA and vents. With a short drum reload time don't feel the need to shoot all your rounds before you reload. I often reload after only firing 1 or 2 shots if I need to drop from the radar or relocate. Also note, don't feel the need to unload your whole clip on someone just because you can. You want to take opportunistic shots and limit your damage taken. When sixth sense pops, cease firing and move behind cover.

Gun handling is good after equipping a vertical stabilizer so shooting on the move in close quarters is usually always a hit so don't worry about waiting for your reticle to fully zoom in if you don't have the luxury to do so. I will often use auto aim when circling an opponent if I need to however for slow tanks such as the T28, T95, ISU-152, etc I recommend you take the time to manually aim. Note that with auto aim you need to be careful that you don't end up shooting an opponent in the tracks if you have HEAT loaded or are shooting diagonally in the front/rear sprockets which may only track the opponent and do no damage.

In games where you have to act as a sniper it fills the role pretty well. A vast majority of the maps are changing where long range firing lines and vision control are being limited. Instead acting as a flanker, harasser or sniper are becoming one of the primary roles of light tank drivers. Put your gun to use, it can make the difference over the course of the battle!

Game play:

The T71 basically has the same MM weight as a tier 8 tank so will see tier 6 to 10 tanks. Depending on the tiers you face your game play will vary a bit depending on how many and what top tier you are facing against. In large open maps such as Malinovka, Steeps, Sand River, etc you obviously act as a scout and snipe when you have the opportunity. For choke point maps such as South Coast, Airfield, Sacred Valley, etc you flank and snipe if possible. City maps such as Himmelsdorf you snipe if able or flank after the battle has unfolded a bit and most of the enemy tanks are distracted. Being an effective harraser/flanker, you can often get a heavy tank or tank destroyer to turn and shoot you at the cost of exposing his side/rear to your team members. This is fondly referred to as "light tank boner." Exploit this opportunity every chance you can, if you can help the team take out a big gun at your risk and helps your team do the game, do so. Never under estimate the value of getting an enemy to turn to shoot you while exposing his sides/rear to your teams bigger guns.

If you end up in a tier 8 battle, you can be one of the best tanks on the team. With the combination of your camo and limited view range of enemy tanks you will be able to snipe most enemies if they are more than 400 meters away without being spotted. However as you start to throw in tier 9 and 10 tanks you need to be much more cautious and be a bit more passive since their view range is much higher. 

With the accuracy being what it is you can get away with some active scouting but limit your exposure. Peeking over hills, around corners, etc can be done if you minimize it but don't be predictable as guns will be pointed in your direction if you keep poking the exact same spot. Sometimes you will need to be a passive scout, this is fine, don't feel you need to just do one thing. The T71 can fill a bunch of different roles depending on the situation, just keep an eye on your mini-map and watch how things unfold as the game progresses. This is a hard concept to master and knowing when to exploit opportunities is often what separates average players from unicums.

Conclusion:

It took me quite a while to really understand this tank but I feel I've finally good a pretty solid grasp on it. When I first started playing this tank I didn't understand the core mechanics of the game and after about 400 battles I had about a 46% win rating in the tank. Now after 1100ish battles I've finally managed to pull my win rate up to about 57%. I expect to pull my win rate over 60% by the time I reach 2000 battles in this tank. Not to shabby for a light tank!

If you play your cards right you can carry the team if the max tier is 8 yet still contribute in higher tier 9 & 10 matches.

Finally, don't feel you have to always "spot all  the enemies."  More and more maps are changing to a choke point style so your team already knows where the enemy will be so hanging back dealing damage will best serve your team. So many people fall in the trap of feeling they need to spot all the enemy tanks, resist this urge, get your gun in the fight! 

Replays:

I play this tank nearly every day and can usually get an Ace Tanker in it. As such, i'll post those replays and always try to keep bumping this thread linking the replays. I use wotreplays.com - here they are:

http://wotreplays.com/uploader/JoreyTK/id/284199

Vbaddict stats:

Here is the link to my vbaddict stats for the tank. This isn't necessary for learning how to play better but it's my personal stats on this tank. You can see a steady improvement in all my stats. What I find interesting is that my assisted damage is actually going down but my average damage is going up. I think this is because i'm learning more spots where I can snipe from.

http://www.vbaddict.net/tank/joreytk-na-a544ecc85cb5403e20aa2f25cbdb3055/usa-2/t71-61

Questions:

Feel free to ask! If you have any comments or notice any discrepancies feel free to point them out!

Edited by JoreyTK, 18 July 2014 - 05:53 PM.

mattijs55 #2 Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16430 battles

One thing I don't agree with is the number of heat rounds you carry. I've experimented with the number of heat rounds and I found that with 18 heat shells you tend to run out on apcr. Or maybe that's just me who's to triggerhappy :sceptic:.

Anyways, solid review! +1

*note: You should link your HoF video's. 

goirad #3 Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 59579 battles
I really like this Tank , the absolutely best Tier 7 scout! My Winrate speaks for this Tank ( 60+ % at over 120 Games ) .  I adore autoladers and this is a very good one, definitely a Keeper !

MotionBlyr #4 Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8027 battles

How would you suggest playing this tank during a developing battle? i.e what's a typical 'battle timeline' you use to determine when you switch flanks or when you change how you scout between passive or active etc,

I researched it last night after having loads of fun in the T21 (~65% WR after about 80 battles, average XP of ~750 last time I checked) and my crew are currently skilled up with the T69, T54E1 and the T57 in mind. Already have the top gun, since I had enough free XP after playing the T21 to research it, but I'm not sure how to really play it to maximise effectiveness. Currently using Vents, Camo and Binocs as carry-overs from the T21 but again I've yet to play a game in it so any general handling advice would be appreciated :)

JoreyTK #5 Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postmattijs55, on 23 March 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

As Requested:

JoreyTK #6 Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostMotionBlyr, on 23 March 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

How would you suggest playing this tank during a developing battle? i.e what's a typical 'battle timeline' you use to determine when you switch flanks or when you change how you scout between passive or active etc,

I researched it last night after having loads of fun in the T21 (~65% WR after about 80 battles, average XP of ~750 last time I checked) and my crew are currently skilled up with the T69, T54E1 and the T57 in mind. Already have the top gun, since I had enough free XP after playing the T21 to research it, but I'm not sure how to really play it to maximise effectiveness. Currently using Vents, Camo and Binocs as carry-overs from the T21 but again I've yet to play a game in it so any general handling advice would be appreciated :)

Hey MotionBlyr.

As a battle is developing you will want to keep an eye on how your team members are engaged with the enemy. If you can find an approach where you can get some opportunistic side or rear shots then take the opportunity to do so if the risk is relatively low to you. I've found the more you watch the sight and firing lines of maps gives you more experience in knowing where it's safe to go. If you watch my replays you can get an idea where some of them are. Obviously the more battles you run the more you will learn them. For myself i've ended up finding a bunch of "go to" spots on each map. From there I can keep an eye on which flanks fall or succeed then react from there.

I'm finding your question a little unclear. Are you asking about the load out for the T21 or the T71? If it's the T71 then obviously what I suggested in my OP. Once I reached the T69 I started a new crew then retrained them once I got the T54E1 and finally the T57 Heavy.

JoreyTK #7 Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postmattijs55, on 23 March 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

One thing I don't agree with is the number of heat rounds you carry. I've experimented with the number of heat rounds and I found that with 18 heat shells you tend to run out on apcr. Or maybe that's just me who's to triggerhappy :sceptic:.

Anyways, solid review! +1

I think the number of heat rounds definitely comes down to personal preference. I set it to 18 HEAT rounds quite some time ago and never really bothered to change it. I never felt compelled to change it but if 12 rounds works for you then stick with it!

JoreyTK #8 Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

Here is a replay created by Bullitt for me. Often on Himmelsdorf scouts feel ineffective since it's more of a heavy tank brawling map. But there are so many opportunities for flanking, harassing and sniping.

Link to the replay: http://wotreplays.com/site/698669#winter_himmelsdorf-joreytk-t71

JoreyTK #9 Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

Another match featured by Tazilon.

TheR3dBaron #10 Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37026 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

I absolutely hate running into these when I am driving an amx. The line is on my wishlist so I will give it a try. I already have two skills on the M5 Stuart and working my way up the ranks.

In scouting maps, I usually tend to load HE for the first shell for any annoying scout. In hidden village I pointed my rhm at a little bush in the middle of the map and a few seconds later the pesky T71 showed its nose. Boom and it was gone :) HE is your best friend for these.

Playing a scout is an art, and I'm still to improve. Will let you know how I fare once I get it. I see you are running with a vertical stabilizer as I usually do with mediums. I guess it helps to fire on the move while circling.

Wateyuk #11 Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12541 battles

i feel that the upgraded T21 is a tad better than the T71 stock as when stock it has no speed or agility and the gun .... well the stock gun is capable if your in tier 8 battles

i just upgraded the suspension so i can engine then the gun... or should i get the gun 1st?

how would you play this thing stock (or without the top gun and engine)

mattijs55 #12 Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16430 battles

View PostWateyuk, on 02 May 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

i feel that the upgraded T21 is a tad better than the T71 stock as when stock it has no speed or agility and the gun .... well the stock gun is capable if your in tier 8 battles

i just upgraded the suspension so i can engine then the gun... or should i get the gun 1st?

I'd go for the engine first, as mobility (and camo) is your main protection in this tank. As for the stock gameplay, maybe you should keep it to passive scouting and leave the damage dealing/assassin aside? I can't really remember how i played my T71 stock, it's been a while. 

Wateyuk #13 Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12541 battles

thank you Mattijs55 i was thinking that if i get the bigger gun... would i make more XP/creds in battle from damage caused so it will be quicker to grind from gun to engine (rather than engine to gun)

i usually just protect arty at beginning if i see enemy has scouts.. then i support the lines by spotting where i can... it sucks that i dont have the 6thSense perk yet (currently at 30%) since m7 ruined the line with its medium crew and i never get 75% or over crew for lower than tier 5

i have T34 which is making the T57 heavy crew for me... might keep the T71 tho... see when i elite it how i play in it

thanks for the info

p.s. Great review :)

PartyTanker #14 Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35469 battles
  • [PARTY] PARTY

very good guide. It is pretty much how I play my T71. But when you look at my stats, you'll see I probably lack something in the execution of these ideas.

I watched the first 3 replays on the list and this is what I learned from them. 

- stay alive. Move with groups of team mates. Don't play too risky. I manage my hp far worse than OP.. 

- use the auto-aim and try to engage while moving. This is something I didnt do, as I found the reticle way too big to risk wasting autoloader shots. But I will try more often.

Some things that weren't answered with the replays from your VBaddict page.

- finding good scouting spots. Ofc I know which spots are good spots to spot from while spotting. I use them a lot in my T54 and Patton, for example. It's only that I (too frequently) die in these spots. So my spotting dmg is limited in the T71. I was happy with this until somebody pointed out my lack of scouting medals. I am curious to know how to acquire a patrol duty with this thing. When watching replays (of any player) with a patrol duty, the enemy lemming train magically appears in front of the chosen spotting bush. That can't be just luck. I wish to learn more. And of course, I know to hold my fire while spotting. I'm not that kind of newbie.

- as a point aside, this good scouting conflicts with my plan to take less risks. I know to look for a way out before going in. But I seem to do very badly at the execution of this. It's easy to say "scout better" (just as it is to "carry harder"), but it is another thing to show where the nuances are. To show what situations are safe and which probably are not. replays are welcomed.

bringing back a losing team. The replays were somewhat frustrating in that the team never really was in danger of losing. No offence, but it was "just" picking up damage (like in the tazilon replay). The enemy seemed totally willing to give their hit points to the T71. Sure, some smart decisions on the T71 player's part, but you know... not something that will happen every game.

For example, the bullit replay showed some interesting stuff. This is how I think a T71 is meant to be played in city maps. I even prefer city maps to open fields, just for this reason. But you have to admit Bullit seriously got lucky too. In the first run for the amx 13 90, I thought Bullit knew the train track was empty, but it turned out 4 enemy tanks were hiding there. Any of them could have tracked and killed the T71. A lucky move, but also a foolish move, esp so early at the beginning of the game. I liked how he then switches between targets, even half drum/not finished off targets. This is the way to go. Don't focus, be free flowing. A third thing I noticed, was that he - several times - drove in front of an enemy tank who has his gun pointed at him. Again, very lucky to get out of there with hp intact. T71 is a nimble tank, but sometimes you can rely on the slow reflexes of your opponent just a bit too much. Not talking about the object, ofc. Didnt notice it at first, but he fired moments before T71 pops out again, so that is smart thing to do. Great to see the object wiggle all the way through, nice to see an opponent who was keeping his head with his game. A bit later, the T34 and the lorraine bumble around in front of the crosshair, gratiously giving their life. What probably also helped is how team green worked together quite well at the end of the match. This was a good example on how to carry with the T71. Unfortunately, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the amount of "luck" and "bumbling opponents" I had to use to describe the battle.

I dont want to talk down to the performance of the T71 player here. Very well done. But so frustrating when you think it through.

I don't like the "waa-waa, I lost because my team sucked" feeling I get with this tank. Of course you're gonna lose when your team sucks. I've tooned up with unicums on such 'bad nights' and I have seen what those guys can do to compensate and what they can't do, but it's the feeling of futility that gets me. I tend to fail hard when my team does. I'd like to deal more damage in those situations, instead of just receiving it.

I agree with OP that this tank is one of the best tanks - tier for tier - in the game. Light tanks pay off hard, and punish hard in equal measure. That's why I think it is such a shame I'm not very good in them. 

Still, my daily netted me 1.1k xp before modifiers. So not a total scrub (when my team is willing).

Edited by PartyTanker, 03 May 2014 - 02:30 AM.

Keyhand #15 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Diplomat
  • 66581 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
The T71 is such a nice little bugger, I love it

mattijs55 #16 Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16430 battles
I had this game yesterday... One of the better ones i had in a while, to bad the time ran out before we could kill them all. 

V3mpa1N #17 Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9969 battles

absolutely love this tank!

only have 49 games on it but it really seems like the best tank in my garage.

57% win so far 

i bought the gun first since it weights less than the first gun and so you can get the engine before tracks. everything is so cheap to research that it really makes no difference what you research first. 

As for gameplay i usually go for spotting duty at start but on some maps when fighting a lot of tier 10 tanks or no real spotting places i tend to hold back and wait how the game evolves.. 

When i have an idea of what is going on i can start annoying people by dealing dmg from the flanks slowly eating the enemy away. 

JoreyTK #18 Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

Over the weekend I dusted off the T71 and had a few great games. The most notable was this one.

http://wotreplays.com/site/936962#sand_river-joreytk-t71

I ended up submitting it to Tazilons hall of fame so keep your eyes on this thread to see a review of it!

keyres #19 Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35599 battles
  • [F-T-R] F-T-R

View PostWateyuk, on 02 May 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Get the gun first.

1) It offers way better firepower.

2) It's actually a lot lighter.

So you are more dangerous AND faster.

luckymarine #20 Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11840 battles

Love the little thing, a good cam rating and a gun that can do a surprising amount of damage to tanks that just ignore the little bits being nibbled away from their health.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users