Recommend good video game.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Smooth_lt2002 #1 Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32062 battles

So its simple topic. 

Recommend some good video game for esle to try it out and describe why its soo damn good :smile:

I'll start - WargameEuropean Escalation

Its RTS game, so basiclly you can play either as Warsaw Pact (Soviet Union, Poland, Czechoslovakia, East Germany) or NATO (USA, France, United Kingdom, West Germany). It is set in Europe during Cold War, most specifically in the years 1975-1985 with alternate history screnarios portraying open war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. 

In this game you can encounter tanks like AMX 30B, T62, Leopard 2, M1A1 Abrams, M60A3 Patton and like 50+ more tanks. I am not even speaking about SPGs, mortar carriers, rocket launchers, infantry, recon and helicopters. WARNING if you start playing this game you might get hooked on it, in begining campaign missions can last around 1 hour, but as you progress further it will just get longer and longer. 

So that was my recommendation for a good game, i think i gave you clear picture of how this should look like :smile:

Edited by laponac, 19 March 2014 - 01:16 PM.

basin79 #2 Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles

Titanfall. A FPS that has giant mechs in. Need I say more. Resident Evil 4. A nigh on perfect 3rd person shooter with some exceptional button pressing set pieces. Super Mario 3d world. It's Mario and he gets a cat suit. Just play it. Zelda. A Link Between Worlds. An absolutely brilliant game, and it's on a portable. It's Zelda with a great 2D twist.

(FFS why have all my spaces disappeared???) 

Edited by basin79, 19 March 2014 - 01:16 PM.

Geralt_z_Rivii365 #3 Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Major

• Clan Diplomat
  • 30521 battles

Minecraft? :P no just joking I played World in Conflict with Soviet assault add on so Wargame  European Escalation Looks kinda similar. Total War series is also good I played the most Napoleon Total War and Rome Total War but the first one not the new one.

btw I Don't usually play new titles

Smooth_lt2002 #4 Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32062 battles

View PostCroft365, on 19 March 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Minecraft? :P no just joking I played World in Conflict with Soviet assault add on so Wargame  European Escalation Looks kinda similar. Total War series is also good I played the most Napoleon Total War and Rome Total War but the first one not the new one.

btw I Don't usually play new titles

I also played World in Conflict and if i remember well you can use only like 6-8 heavy tanks at once there? Here you can you more then 50 units at once :smile:

Ohaithar #5 Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 407 battles

Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942. This is another tank game, but it's actually a sim. A very damn good one. No, it's not advertizing a WG competitor at all. The game's literally dead for all I know. The Ukrainian dev team working on it got screwed by a Russian dev team working alongside them. The Dutch publisher was bought by another company that went out of business. I sincerely doubt that it can even be considered advertizing another competitor. Plus it's only single player. Come on. It's only being played thanks to the great modding community.

Anyway, this is as far as you'd go for a decent tank sim. The sights can be adjusted when possible, just like IRL. Ballistic drop is in. You can switch between your commander, gunner, driver, loader and your machinegunners. You can place diverse orders, such as telling the loader to stop loading, ordering the driver to stop then accelerate after you fire, sending in an artillery or air strike, etc. Enemies include loads of infantry that like cowering in trenches (they can damage your tracks with grenades though), concealed AT guns that love ninjaing you (my main cause of death), enemy trucks and of course, enemy tanks. The damage system is really what I love. Everything is about modules. Each shell has a really different shrapneling quota. Most dead tanks are simply just abandoned or just a butcher shop for dead tankers. I don't see that many fires. Everything from headlights to the engine and turret ring can get damaged. The physics are quite nice too, as a large howitzer can send AT guns and trucks flying through the air. The shrapneling is really fun, since a Matilda cannot do much to an armored car with the 2 pdr. This is historically accurate. So overpenetration and lack of shrapnel are implemented.

Another thing to note is that this game only has first person views. You can either look at the tank interior or look through sights. Of course you can get your commander to pop out, but that's gonna kill him around infantry. You can get a 3rd person view through mods, but really, that's for scrubs. I prefer looking through periscopes most of the time. This means flanking is exceedingly rewarding. If you flank in Steel Fury, you will always feel proud. Taking on a King Tiger with a T-44 is always fun.

Now, here's the largest flaws: unironed gameplay. No devs available. Only 3 tanks (Matilda, Pz IV Ausf F2, T-34-76). No patches to fix some bugs. This is where the magic happens: the playerbase did everything. Not the devs, but the players. Thanks to them, more tanks are added. You can use the King Tiger. You can use the T-44. You can use the Pz IV Ausf F1. You can use the Pz III. You can use the Churchie. You can use the KV-2. You can use the IS-2. Hell, use a Kubelwagen if you want. All thanks to the players. Massive props to them. This game is the only game I know with such devoted modding communities. Not all tanks are in (they're missing out on some British and American tanks and need other tanks in like the 7tp), but what do you expect? Making a tank model is really hard in this game. Also, the controls are complex. Really, I'm not kidding. This game is for people that want to make their stubborn tanks move the way they want them to move. It's not for those that prefer WoT's arcade gameplay. Trust me, SF is really a slow paced game, and requires significant strategy, careful planning, and much more analysis of what your tank can and cannot do.

Which reminds me. You can make your own missions. So if you're creative and know how to mod, play around with that.

So yeah, if you like tanks, but need that "realistic rush" that WoT can't offer (can't blame WG, that's not what they want), get Steel Fury and mod it immediately. Don't install it on Program Files, even the x86 one. This messes up some mods. But honestly, despite the game being literally born in a cesspool, it's shining bright. And no, it won't beat WoT because all three companies in there have screwed themselves over. This game might as well be freeware for all I know. Anyway, just get this game if you really want realism instead of say, go on WoT forums and complain about historical accuracy. SF has your historical accuracy if you're ever so kind. You can look up on Youtube how it looks like, since I ain't posting my screenies.

J0NES #6 Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4116 battles

Juppe91 #7 Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27492 battles

Hawken is a mech fps,though unlike in Titanfall it´s restricted to "just" mechs. There´s five gamemodes: Deathmatch,Team Deathmatch, Missile Assault,Siege and Co-op Bot destruction.

In missile Assault you just have to control 3 missile silos that bombard enemy base,in Siege you launch a battleship to attack the enemy base though it can be shot down by mechs and AA. In Co-op your team must hold off waves of bots with even some boss units.

As for getting mechs you just need Hawken credits (silver),or Meteor coins (gold) no need to grind xp as well. Only thing that requires xp is mech specific primary weapons. Mech prices vary between 3k-12k HC.

You can swap mechs during battle,except in Co-op where you are committed to selected mech.

It´s F2P and you can find it on Steam. :smile:

Edited by Juppe91, 19 March 2014 - 09:15 PM.

Ohaithar #8 Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 407 battles

View PostJuppe91, on 19 March 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Hawken is a mech fps,though unlike in Titanfall it´s restricted to "just" mechs. There´s five gamemodes: Deathmatch,Team Deathmatch, Missile Assault,Siege and Co-op Bot destruction.

In missile Assault you just have to control 3 missile silos that bombard enemy base,in Siege you launch a battleship to attack the enemy base though it can be shot down by mechs and AA. In Co-op your team must hold off waves of bots with even some boss units.

As for getting mechs you just need Hawken credits (silver),or Meteor coins (gold) no need to grind xp as well. Only thing that requires xp is mech specific primary weapons. Mech prices vary between 3k-12k HC.

You can swap mechs during battle,except in Co-op where you are committed to selected mech.

It´s F2P and you can find it on Steam. :smile:

One thing to note is that the Steam thing is only for a certain pack. Also, I heard bad things about Hawken's development going downhill.

Kiril1512 #9 Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17502 battles
Rome II Total War :)

Krogenator #10 Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16784 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Postlaponac, on 19 March 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Great game,I play Wargame: AirLand Battle though as I can pick Norway(my home country) but yea it is a great game.

View PostCroft365, on 19 March 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

World in Conflict Soviet assault

Wargame  European Escalation Looks kinda similar.

Total War series is also good I played the most Napoleon Total War and Rome Total War but the first one not the new one.

World in Conflict is also a great game but a lot more fast past and slightly less tactical (if you ask me)then Wargame.

Total War series has always been fun.

View PostJ0NES, on 19 March 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Space Engineers

Space Engineers is also a great game.Love building space ships and other space stuff.Just as fun making ships as fighting with them.

View PostKiril1512, on 21 March 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Rome II Total War :)

I personally prefer Shogun 2, also no idea why someone would -1 you for saying that.

How about:

Kerbal Space Program :Great space game if you actually find rocket science interesting.Or want to strap massive rockets together and see how it goes.It is one of the games you can just jump into and joke around for a few minutes or play seriously or hours on end.I played it for a long time before it got released on steam and from 30th of march 2013(steam release) until today I have played 306 hours. Also there is a demo where you get some of the parts(for rockets and planes) but not all of them.Give it a try if you like rockets,I honestly think it is the best space simulator I have ever played(fun and close enough to realism).

Mount & Blade series : I personally prefer Warband over all the others but With Fire & Sword can be fun as well. The game is a medieval RPG with the best sword fighting I have played.Keep in mind this came out in 2008 and many games have tried to copy their combat system but never had the same feel.Also,the game is epic in the literal sense of epic.You can gather your own army with over 300 people riding with you (I have a edited save file where my max army size is 1750) and if you aline yourself with a king you can get massive battles of thousands of people per side(only 150 spawn on the battlefield at a time so it will take a long time) fighting ether in open land or trying to storm a castle. I have around 300+ hours in this game as well.

StarDrive : (on 75% sale until 24th) The ONLY thing making this not be my favourite space game is the fact that it does not support multiplayer(but StarDrive2 is on the way,crossing my fingers for multiplayer). It is a "4x strategy game" that is just hours of hours of fun,it is a little like sins of a solar empire(also fun playing with friends) but has humor and you can customize every single ship you make to have what you want(if you don't just use the standards), you can have ships with only rocket's on them and no armor, you can have shipes with only armor and energy shields,lazors,tractor beams,EMP torpedo or a ton of different stuff that you can research from a tech tree.

I could keep throwing out more but idk if me spamming a wall of text would be interesting.

Ohaithar #11 Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 407 battles

I also have another game to suggest. It's called Ballistics:

I don't need to say anything. Play it if you're a true speed demon.

NyronGT #12 Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3868 battles

All titles that are the best for me right now (without any order):

Deus Ex

Serious Sam

Mass Effect saga

Siberia

Pure

Space Siege

Supreme Commander

Starship Troopers

And as a last one - Star Wolves

Edited by NyronGT, 21 March 2014 - 07:23 PM.

Masquerade717 #13 Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 3088 battles

Neverwinter

Borderlands 2

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Rome 2 with my sh*tload of mods

And HAWKEN is good, but i don't play it often

Edited by Masquerade717, 21 March 2014 - 07:50 PM.

Kiril1512 #14 Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17502 battles

View PostKrogenator, on 21 March 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

I personally prefer Shogun 2, also no idea why someone would -1 you for saying that.

Maybe that person is Age of Empires fan :P

Juppe91 #15 Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27492 battles

Got another one for you: Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. Originally they came in 2001 and 2002, but there are now hd versions available as well in Steam.

Stronghold is a castle building game series, though imo only these two are worth your time.

As for gameplay its basic rts combat and running your castles economy, both of them separately or at the same time depending on gamemode.

The fun part is ofc building your castle and messing around with map editor which is easy to use (i'm just too dumb to understand how to make the events work properly).

There's two kinds of campaings: the main campaing has blend of combat and economy and then there's just the economy focused campaing. 

If you really love castles then you can try to recreate some historical ones or just make up your own (to preserve your sanity). :tongue:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users