Jump to content


T-46 Is not a Scout Tank


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the t-46 actually a scout tank (17 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Is the t-46 actually a scout tank

  1. Yes (2 votes [11.76%])

    Percentage of vote: 11.76%

  2. No (15 votes [88.24%])

    Percentage of vote: 88.24%

Vote Hide poll

SSGVastabat #1 Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 28151 battles
  • 103
  • [B--R] B--R
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

I am seriously getting fed up of joining tier 5 games and then have people in tier 5's or those with at least 1000+ games telling me that I am camping in a scout tank -_-

 

The T-46 has speed but it is no where near even close to being a scout tank by actual definition, it can become a scout tank at the latter stages of a game but when the majority of your team is dead and tier 5's are all dead on your team its not even worth using it to try and scout.

 

There is an actual list, which I will have to find again at some point that defines which tanks are proper scout tanks by wargaming themselves and too finally add in the T-46 does not get scout matchmaking, tanks with scout matchmaking are those properly defined as scouts, whereas the t-46 is more of a supportive tank or that's how I have been using it anyway and to protect undefended flanks. 

 

Just kinda of annoys me how people don't even know what a scout tank actually is half the time and then spend half the game moaning at me just because I am not scouting. If anyone actually proves that the t-46 is a proper scout tank by actual definition within this game then I shall accept that and play it like a scout but until then people should go and learn these tanks and not categorize every light tank as a scout (amx 40 not a scout, amx 38 not a scout, t-60 and t-70 not scouts, the list goes on)  



Ulfhedinn_ #2 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 48246 battles
  • 7,041
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013

No tier 3 tanks get scout MM so that's not a good indicator. But you're right, the T46 is not a scout, you only have to look at the view range to know. The T46 view range is average for tier 3 at 310m's with top turret. Compare that to a real tier 3 scout like the T15 with view range of 350m's, more than even a T46 fitted with optics. Same with radio range, the T46 with top radio is 360m's while the T15 is 710m's. And the guns, the T46 has access to either tier 3, 4, or even 5 guns, while the T15 only has a tier 2 gun. So in comparison the T46 is clearly not a scout. But it does have speed and good guns, which makes it more of a skirmisher / flanker / sniper.

 

I might be wrong, but if I were playing it I'd use the tier 4 gun (which has good accuracy for it's tier), would camp, but I'd use the speed to get to a good camping position on a flank to optimise my chances of sniping (into weaker spots like a tanks sides). Or I'd get in close, keep to cover and just hassle them, try to entice them to expose their tanks as the try and get me and make them easy targets for my team mates sniping at range. In that case it's not about the damage and kills you get, it's about the damage and kills you enable your team to get - giving you at least some good XP and credits from spotting and a higher win rate than if you just tried to brawl.

 

BUT, sometimes you do need to scout even if you're not in a scout tank. When a game is getting tight you need to look at your team and enemy. If you are bottom tier, your tank / gun remaining in the game is much less important than a tier 4 or 5 tank / gun remaining in game, especially heavy's or TD's. So when needs must scouting is the way to go, even if it leads to you getting killed, if it means you spot a tier 5 that your team mates can take out at range without return fire, you'll give you team a much greater chance to win. Eg, I've even active scouted in tier 10 games in my tier 8 Lowe (and won patrol medals in it active scouting). The Lowe is definitely not a scout tank but it's what my team needed me to do for US to get the win.


Edited by Maxmk6, 19 March 2014 - 05:22 PM.


SSGVastabat #3 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 28151 battles
  • 103
  • [B--R] B--R
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

View PostMaxmk6, on 19 March 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

No tier 3 tanks get scout MM so that's not a good indicator. But you're right, the T46 is not a scout, you only have to look at the view range to know. The T46 view range is average for tier 3 at 310m's with top turret. Compare that to a real tier 3 scout like the T15 with view range of 350m's, more than even a T46 fitted with optics. Same with radio range, the T46 with top radio is 360m's while the T15 is 710m's. And the guns, the T46 has access to either tier 3, 4, or even 5 guns, while the T15 only has a tier 2 gun. So in comparison the T46 is clearly not a scout. But it does have speed and good guns, which makes it more of a skirmisher / flanker / sniper. I might be wrong, but if I were playing it I'd use the tier 4 gun (which has good accuracy for it's tier), would camp, but I'd use the speed to get to a good camping position on a flank to optimise my chances of sniping (into weaker spots like a tanks sides). Or I'd get in close, keep to cover and just hassle them, try to entice them to expose their tanks as the try and get me and make them easy targets for my team mates sniping at range.

 

Ah, yeah, I forgot that tier 3 tanks don't get scouting MM. I think its more those that haven't even played the T-46 that keeps saying it is a scout tank. The tier 4 gun it has is more then amazing especially with the accuracy and yeah i'm either camping position to snipe or in tier 3-4 games i'm doing a mix of flanking and sniping. Why people even think this is a scouting tank I do not know. Those who say it is, I talk to after game and they never give any evidence to  why they think its a scout tank. Low tiers for you I guess lol. 



rustysprite #4 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 22808 battles
  • 2,678
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    03-18-2012

Here is a little bit more info for you mate

 

https://sites.google.com/site/worldoftanksworld/Wiki/soviet-tanks/t-46

 

 



SSGVastabat #5 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 28151 battles
  • 103
  • [B--R] B--R
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

View PostMaxmk6, on 19 March 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

BUT, sometimes you do need to scout even if you're not in a scout tank. When a game is getting tight you need to look at your team and enemy. If you are bottom tier, your tank / gun remaining in the game is much less important than a tier 4 or 5 tank / gun remaining in game, especially heavy's or TD's. So when needs must scouting is the way to go, even if it leads to you getting killed, if it means you spot a tier 5 that your team mates can take out at range without return fire, you'll give you team a much greater chance to win. Eg, I've even active scouted in tier 10 games in my tier 8 Lowe (and won patrol medals in it active scouting). The Lowe is definitely not a scout tank but it's what my team needed me to do for US to get the win.

Oh yeah, when it comes down to that situation by all means the t-46 can become the scout for the team, but it depends on the team you get and where the enemy is positioned and if there are worthy places to hide between your team and the enemy. In one game I was more focused on protecting arty and the bridge on live oaks in a tier 5 game because shock horror the lemmings went to town and they all died as usual. arty called me a camping scout and I was just like, well I'm protecting your sorry rear from flankers so quit whining and focus on your job. I don't mind scouting for the team in a t-46 but majority of the time the team is just lemmings/bots or pure idiots and its not even worth spotting for people who don't even know how to fire there gun. *_*



SSGVastabat #6 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 28151 battles
  • 103
  • [B--R] B--R
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

View Postrustysprite, on 19 March 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

Here is a little bit more info for you mate

 

https://sites.google.com/site/worldoftanksworld/Wiki/soviet-tanks/t-46

 

 

Takes the t-46 a while to gain its top speed, the T82 tank destroyer and even the su-76 can reach there top speeds at a much faster rate then what the t-46 can. With the pz3A and the pz.I C, the bt-7, the t-15 and the m3 stuart are so mcuh faster tanks who can do the scout role a million times better then what the t-46 can and you always end up getting paired with one of those tanks on your team or the enemy team, making the t-46 difficult as a scout, the poor view range and radio range ruins its chance to be a passive scout and its not like its that hard too miss the t-46 unlike the pz. I C and m3 stuart. T-46 has better things to do for the team then try to active/passive scout until needed in the latter stages of the match, but that's my opinion anyway.



Dampli #7 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 22210 battles
  • 38
  • Member since:
    01-18-2012
Its a scout. Tier 5 commands you to go out there and find target for him! Wot mentality

SSGVastabat #8 Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 28151 battles
  • 103
  • [B--R] B--R
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

View PostDampli, on 19 March 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Its a scout. Tier 5 commands you to go out there and find target for him! Wot mentality

Lol, tier 5 also commands that everyone one tier 4 and lower should go out and die while they camp in the bushes with their bonfires. :trollface:



Dampli #9 Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 22210 battles
  • 38
  • Member since:
    01-18-2012

View PostCisternina_Vastabat, on 19 March 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

Lol, tier 5 also commands that everyone one tier 4 and lower should go out and die while they camp in the bushes with their bonfires. :trollface:

 Be a good lower tier then me and go die for nothing, since i am going to miss all my shots. 



Ohaithar #10 Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 407 battles
  • 1,918
  • Member since:
    01-15-2014
What the T-46 lacks isn't really acceleration. It's mainly view range and signal range, but terrain passability plays a prominent role. The T-46's is similar to that of a medium tank's.




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users