M103

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Tonyb1968 #61 Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27420 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

Ive not had a happy start to my M103 career unfortunately, been thrown into battles where my team have just crumbled and ended up getting owned badly on a greater than 1 v 1 basis :(

I have fully equipped her though and my crew are still noobish on their first skills, the mobility is good for a heavy tank as is the gun, gun depression and be a bit of a pain but thats just getting use to the tank and not exposing your hull armour, a bit of practice should sort that out.

Will have to give it a good 100 games to see how I fair, will probably put this crew into my T34 once my T32 crew hits their 2nd skill (very shortly as they are on 99%) and get them better first.

I do find that in T10 games i cannot fall into the support role due to my T10 team mates being further back than the td's but i think im just unlucky at the moment :teethhappy:

Coenraad #62 Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10278 battles
Stick with it, the 103 is epic.

ceero #63 Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12801 battles

Oh dear lord, i hate this tank. Bought it a few weeks ago, got 160 battles on 51% WR, fully researched. 

Well, what can i say. Its slow, it's prone to module damage, turret ring gets stuck every second game, It has extremely shitty armor and huge weakspots on the top of that, absolutely anyone you meet can penetrate your sides without any problem, that idiotically huge turret hatch gets penetrated by every shot, you have no possibility to hide it and even the turret front (!!!!!) which is supposed to be the most heavily armored part of the tank gets penetrated easily. Yeah, upper frontal plate can bounce nicely but for what, noone ever shoots you there, show me one WOT player who doesnt know the weakspots of M103. Weakspots, well... The entire tank is a [edited]weakspot, we could talk about armored spots here and there instead of weakspots. The gun is mediocre at the best, it absolutely lacks alpha damage for a tier 9 heavy and the DPM is just not that great for such a low damage, at least the penetration is good. It lacks gun depression so no hull down really, but even if you could you would probably get laughed at with that turret weakspot. T29 and T32 were extraordinary tanks, this is such a let down... Damn, i wish they let T34 to stay the US tier 9 heavy....

It can perform if you are not a noob but it absolutely doesnt stand out in anything, it has such a low fun factor that it makes me wanna sell it right away. i mean look at E75, its armor can bounce tier X tds. IS8 has one of the best guns in the game and has the mobility of medium tank. What does this piece of junk have? 44mm hull side armor. my advice - DONT buy it unless you really want the T110 and go for a tier 9 that is actually fun to play

Edited by ceero, 24 December 2014 - 02:36 PM.

NiemandXL #64 Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 37955 battles

It's quiet decent, not a keeper for me but far from terrible. Much better than the IS-8. Mobility is decent, the gun is good, and gun depression is good as well. The armor can be made to work, just don't stand still to give the enemy the time to aim.

Asghaad #65 Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14154 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View Postceero, on 24 December 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Oh dear lord, i hate this tank. Bought it a few weeks ago, got 160 battles on 51% WR, fully researched. 

Well, what can i say. Its slow, it's prone to module damage, turret ring gets stuck every second game, It has extremely shitty armor and huge weakspots on the top of that, absolutely anyone you meet can penetrate your sides without any problem, that idiotically huge turret hatch gets penetrated by every shot, you have no possibility to hide it and even the turret front (!!!!!) which is supposed to be the most heavily armored part of the tank gets penetrated easily. Yeah, upper frontal plate can bounce nicely but for what, noone ever shoots you there, show me one WOT player who doesnt know the weakspots of M103. Weakspots, well... The entire tank is a [edited]weakspot, we could talk about armored spots here and there instead of weakspots. The gun is mediocre at the best, it absolutely lacks alpha damage for a tier 9 heavy and the DPM is just not that great for such a low damage, at least the penetration is good. It lacks gun depression so no hull down really, but even if you could you would probably get laughed at with that turret weakspot. T29 and T32 were extraordinary tanks, this is such a let down... Damn, i wish they let T34 to stay the US tier 9 heavy....

It can perform if you are not a noob but it absolutely doesnt stand out in anything, it has such a low fun factor that it makes me wanna sell it right away. i mean look at E75, its armor can bounce tier X tds. IS8 has one of the best guns in the game and has the mobility of medium tank. What does this piece of junk have? 44mm hull side armor. my advice - DONT buy it unless you really want the T110 and go for a tier 9 that is actually fun to play

IS8s gun is INFERIR in every way possible to M103s

it has no gun depression

it has NO ARMOR (compared to IS8 T9 mediums have better armor ...)

IS8 is by far the worst T9 heavy that cant hold a candle to E-75 or ST-I (same gun, MUCH better platform for it)

M103 is perfect tank for "on the move" gun action, its main strength is 2.3s aimtime and excellent gun soft stats allowing firing on the move and snapshotting like crazy.

Edited by Asghaad, 26 December 2014 - 08:09 PM.

Coenraad #66 Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 10278 battles

M103 is an epic meavy not a heavy.  Maybe the best allrounder in the game? 

It is mobile, pretty good frontal armor, good gun, good viewrange. 

I love mine, becourse it's special :)

PanzerVor87 #67 Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15567 battles
Ok so, please don't kick me in the dirt too much, but I suck a lot in this tank. Had a very satisfying experience with both T29 and T32 (most surprising was that I rarely shot gold with the T32 in over 300 battles), then I picked up the M103 and... well, my stats in that tank speak for me, had to drop the grind out of frustration since I couldn't manage to make it work. Too soft a target for frontline combat, of no use to the team if camping, can't really bully anyone unless top tier.

Some say it's a very beefy medium but I don't agree, it's too large and too slow to be compared to mediums, it's a heavy that tries to do many things with average results, and is outclassed in specific roles by other tanks. Then the random unic0m or simply good player pops up with their M103 and has monster games. What the heck.

Currently farming silver to rebuy it and free exp to unlock the last 120mm gun, I plan to try again with a more cautious playstyle, letting the big boys of the team take the hits and support them when possible. Did the same with the Caernarvon and it worked.

That said, any advice on how to handle this thing would be appreciated.

Asghaad #68 Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14154 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View Postpihip, on 03 January 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Ok so, please don't kick me in the dirt too much, but I suck a lot in this tank. Had a very satisfying experience with both T29 and T32 (most surprising was that I rarely shot gold with the T32 in over 300 battles), then I picked up the M103 and... well, my stats in that tank speak for me, had to drop the grind out of frustration since I couldn't manage to make it work. Too soft a target for frontline combat, of no use to the team if camping, can't really bully anyone unless top tier.

Some say it's a very beefy medium but I don't agree, it's too large and too slow to be compared to mediums, it's a heavy that tries to do many things with average results, and is outclassed in specific roles by other tanks. Then the random unic0m or simply good player pops up with their M103 and has monster games. What the heck.

Currently farming silver to rebuy it and free exp to unlock the last 120mm gun, I plan to try again with a more cautious playstyle, letting the big boys of the team take the hits and support them when possible. Did the same with the Caernarvon and it worked.

That said, any advice on how to handle this thing would be appreciated.

1. gun depression - staple of american tanks, fighting on ridgelines

2. making good use of lightning fast aimtime and superb soft stats - you can pop up, take aim, shoot and pull back before most things can shoot back at you, you also can fire quite comfortably on the move

3. turret armor is good, but only if you dont sit still and only against target you are aiming at - it relies on autobounce ricochets, not thickness

4. never fight on level terrain, your greatest weakness is lower glacis, as soon as enemy can see it, consider yourself unarmored.

5. and forget about style of previous tanks, it just doesnt work with turret that isnt as tough as T29/T32 one, you are in king of peek-a-boo fighting not in hulldowner

PanzerVor87 #69 Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15567 battles
Thanks for the answer. =)

Truth be told, I feel unarmored anyway, strongest part of the tank are the upper glacis, beak and gun mantlet, and sometimes the turret roof and cheeks when shot at from long range. Here a mistake of mine is trying to tank shells, I'm too used to heavily armored machines and unfamiliar with using mobility as an asset, after trying to follow your advice in a couple of games I did see some improvements - namely, exposing myself as little as possible and for as short a time as possible.

Right now I'm still using the T122, which is not good enough for snapshots or shooting on the move, even with vert stab (poor accuracy + long aimtime are an issue).

Well, the grind to the E5 is still very long, so like a friend said in the past - adapt and survive.

...of course, gold spammers and monster TDs don't make life any easier, sometimes playing this late is frustrating. :angry:

Asghaad #70 Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14154 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View Postpihip, on 03 January 2015 - 10:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer. =)

Truth be told, I feel unarmored anyway, strongest part of the tank are the upper glacis, beak and gun mantlet, and sometimes the turret roof and cheeks when shot at from long range. Here a mistake of mine is trying to tank shells, I'm too used to heavily armored machines and unfamiliar with using mobility as an asset, after trying to follow your advice in a couple of games I did see some improvements - namely, exposing myself as little as possible and for as short a time as possible.

Right now I'm still using the T122, which is not good enough for snapshots or shooting on the move, even with vert stab (poor accuracy + long aimtime are an issue).

Well, the grind to the E5 is still very long, so like a friend said in the past - adapt and survive.

...of course, gold spammers and monster TDs don't make life any easier, sometimes playing this late is frustrating. :angry:

you are welcome :)

and by the way turret roof is the main weakspot of the turret. While its at autobounce angle its thin, so large caliber guns will overmatch it so be careful about that when facing Russians, Germans and TDs in general.

Battiglia #71 Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17847 battles
the M103 will be the end of my american heavy grind.. This tank simply dont fit my playstile. American was my first line to go up...  simply just too soft armor for me.. think i will go for the german heavys now :)

Edited by Switz76, 19 January 2015 - 12:01 AM.

Asghaad #72 Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14154 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View PostSwitz76, on 18 January 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

the M103 will be the end of my american heavy grind.. This tank simply dont fit my playstile. American was my first line to go up...  simply just too soft armor for me.. think i will go for the german heavys now :)

sorry to dissapoint you but if you want armor at T10, you need to go for russians... as long as you can load gold to bypass E-100/Maus turret armor, the IS7/ST-I turret armor prevails :)

MrSnappycat #73 Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19505 battles
I really struggle in this tank. It have a good gun but the rest is crap. It have a bad habbit of exploading and is hypersensitive against art. If you stand in a buch of tanks which is shelled youre the first to die. I have more or less played all tier 9s and this tank is for me by far the worst. But I try on and struggle for the lev 10. On paper it looks impressive but i dont make it in reality. I have tryed different approaches but im not there yet.

Djerin #74 Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10448 battles

I was going to tell you to play it like a slow [edited]medium with bad camo. That's how I played it. Try to avoid getting shot at. Use the mobility to get into favorable positions to take opportunity shots at the enemy. When you get spotted don't do anything silly. Avoid going to places where you can't run away again. Don't try to duel it out with t9+ heavies. The armor and DPM is not good enough for that. But also don't get into brawls with mediums, because they will tear you appart. I always considered the frontal armor as a helpful tool to bounce snapshots and never tried to actually tank stuff in the vain hope of it holding up against aimed shots. It's difficult to play, but once you figured it out it's actually pretty fun.

But then I checked your stats and you seem to be struggling very hard with your British high tier mediums. Those share many characteristics of the M103. You really need to work on your playstyle with tanks of that kind.

lordvader95 #75 Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13451 battles
lightning fast aim time?? im using T122 with gun laying drive and i cant see that lightning fast aim time. and accuracy sucks

Battiglia #76 Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17847 battles

im selling mine :( too boring to play.. Not fast enough to support mediums, not strong enough to be in 1st line of heavy´s unless you are top tier. 

enjoy my russian line way more.

Grimmx #77 Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13897 battles
90 battles so far and i kinda suck at this tank .not doing bad, but MM is kicking my [edited]. I cant Get this tank figured out either. I feel like i take to much punishment om tier X matches. Need best gun and mer matches i guess...

Fluffy_Pillow #78 Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7702 battles
The M103 is a bit of a drag until you get the top gun in it. Once you unlock the top gun you can start ripping the tier x tanks apart. The difficult part is to change the mindset from earlier american heavy tanks play style and find a completely new one. If you play the M103 to its strength can reward you handsomely.

lordvader95 #79 Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13451 battles
can anyone please help me with this tin can they call possibly the best T IX HT. It has nothing compared to any other heavy of the same tier and some tier VIII are even better. And the so called second line pls clear that for me my philospohy for HTs is if it aint good on frontine it aint good at all

PatroneKonsjele #80 Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 35748 battles
Bought the m103 yesterday, played some games with the T32/T29 gun and decided to get te second gun with free xp (rest still stock), must say it is a good performer. Armor is workable (got steelwall in first game). Second gun is very reliable (it can only get better with the topgun). Snapshooting is possible, see it as a slower, better armored version of the T9 Patton - allthough no other tanks can snapshoot as the Patton does. I like that playstile in the Patton. If possible/necessary I adapt that to the M103. Coming from the 'weak' T32 it is a very nice allrounder, allready a great tank to keep.

Also tagged with M103

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users